Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,369 Member
    "Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) and Chinese hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) are cousins. Both are members of the mallow family, a large group of several hundred different plant species. While the flowers of rose of Sharon and Chinese hibiscus look similar, these plants are from different climates; one is temperate and the other tropical. So they thrive in different places.
    Hardy Hibiscus
    Rose of Sharon is a woody shrub that grows 8-to-12 feet tall and 6-to-10 feet wide. Because it is very easy to grow and tolerates polluted air, a wide range of light conditions and poor soil, it is common in cities, where it thrives in conditions not many other plants can tolerate. Rose of Sharon is also valuable because it flowers in late summer to fall, a time when few other plants are in bloom. Each flower lasts only a day or two, but there are so many flowers the shrub remains in bloom for a few weeks.
    A Warning
    Hardy in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 5 to 9, rose of Sharon is a "plant-and-forget-it" shrub. In fact, in areas with good sunlight and soil, this nearly indestructible grower is so enthusiastic that it becomes a problem, sowing seeds and making baby plants with abandon and founding spreading colonies. Do not plant rose of Sharon where its aggressive seedlings can escape into the wild and spread, destroying native plant species, or if you think pulling out its many babies will be a chore.
    Chinese Hibiscus
    Chinese hibiscus is hardy in USDA zones 9 to 11. This deciduous shrub is often grown in a pot so it can be brought in as a houseplant at least part of the year in places where temperatures dip below freezing in winter. Planted outdoors, it reaches 10-to-15 feet high and 6-to-10 feet wide. Tropical hibiscus prefers full sun and moist but not wet soil and blooms during the summer. "

We have a red hibiscus in a pot that we bring in for the winter. I haven't even put it out this summer....easier to keep inside and water once a week. :)
    We had Rose of Sharon at our old house....they multiplied like crazy and we were always pulling out seedlings.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited July 2016

07/25/2016 100%

Hi
    Shortly after I posted here in the afternoon we lost power, It came back and I microwaved my Veges and Dinner Entree, Moments after the MW beeped the power went out for another 2 hours :( The skys opened up and the wind blew pretty good. The power did not go off until after the rain was nearly finished.

I got out walking around the usual time 8,100+ steps, The outside temperature was better than Yesterday at 74 degrees. Multitudinous small branches down all over, One bigger branch that blocked the sidewalk on the inbound leg of my walk. I heard from another walker I talked to that a nearby street had lots of tree damage too.

If You refer back to the flower picture I was asking about previously shown here with a electric meter for size reference.
    L6sMpx.jpg
    and for comparison a picture showing a Rose of Sharon against a fence for a size comparison
    Gpvtka.jpg
    and
    unmK39.jpg

Have a Nice Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    eku0 wrote: »
    "Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) and Chinese hibiscus (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) are cousins. Both are members of the mallow family, a large group of several hundred different plant species. While the flowers of rose of Sharon and Chinese hibiscus look similar, these plants are from different climates; one is temperate and the other tropical. So they thrive in different places.
    Hardy Hibiscus
    Rose of Sharon is a woody shrub that grows 8-to-12 feet tall and 6-to-10 feet wide. Because it is very easy to grow and tolerates polluted air, a wide range of light conditions and poor soil, it is common in cities, where it thrives in conditions not many other plants can tolerate. Rose of Sharon is also valuable because it flowers in late summer to fall, a time when few other plants are in bloom. Each flower lasts only a day or two, but there are so many flowers the shrub remains in bloom for a few weeks.
    A Warning
    Hardy in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 5 to 9, rose of Sharon is a "plant-and-forget-it" shrub. In fact, in areas with good sunlight and soil, this nearly indestructible grower is so enthusiastic that it becomes a problem, sowing seeds and making baby plants with abandon and founding spreading colonies. Do not plant rose of Sharon where its aggressive seedlings can escape into the wild and spread, destroying native plant species, or if you think pulling out its many babies will be a chore.
    Chinese Hibiscus
    Chinese hibiscus is hardy in USDA zones 9 to 11. This deciduous shrub is often grown in a pot so it can be brought in as a houseplant at least part of the year in places where temperatures dip below freezing in winter. Planted outdoors, it reaches 10-to-15 feet high and 6-to-10 feet wide. Tropical hibiscus prefers full sun and moist but not wet soil and blooms during the summer. "

We have a red hibiscus in a pot that we bring in for the winter. I haven't even put it out this summer....easier to keep inside and water once a week. :)
    We had Rose of Sharon at our old house....they multiplied like crazy and we were always pulling out seedlings.

Hi Vix
    Interesting that they are a type of Hibiscus :)
    I still wonder what species the first Photo is, I think it would work against the back fence or in the corners on each side of where the front porch juts out. It would be a nice easy to see from the street plant.

I did know that the ROS is a invasive plant. The two in the back yard were never planted, they just volunteered themselves.

A Neighbor has a plant that looks like the large red one in the first photo that appeared on its own three years ago. He was thinking of getting rid of it when it stared blooming this year so he plans to keep it now.

Have a Great Day, Thank You for that large amount of Information
    Roger
  • eku0
    Good morning!
    I think some of the hibiscus are more tolerant of the weather, probably you could check with a nursery. They are pretty. Mine blooms inside sometimes through Nov or Dec. It starts blooming in May or June.
    Clay building for me today.
    Have a great day, everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,163 Member
    good morning,well I slept in this morning took Annie for a short walk later but George took her at her regular time. So far today I went to the bank, credit union and went shopping got 2 new pairs of shoes and a new purse so it was all about me the rest of the day I plan on taking it easy . I have a rose of sharon it is huge every year we trim it and it comes back beautiful.
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Good afternoon;
    I have just transplanted a few ROS seedings into a pot until I can decide where to put them.
    Roger-I am glad you got your dinner cooked before you lost power.
    Everything is so dry, my backyard looks like fall,my lawn is covered with leaves. Send me some of the rain you are getting.
    Irene-It is nice to sleep in once in a while.
    Hi Vix.

• eku0
    Hi Jo! :) It's been pretty dry here too...our lawn is all browning. The Rose of Sharons are pretty....what colors do you have?
    Hi Irene...nice...love new shoes. :) Good to have a me day every so often.
    There was a recall on some of the batteries for my notebook (they were catching on fire), but mine didn't qualify. I wrote them a note anyway, because my battery stopped being able to charge just after the waranty was up (1 year), which is really poor quality. Probably won't get a new one out of it, but at least I got it off my chest.
    Have a good night, everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    good morning,I wanted to thank everyone for the great support of my friends dog . Annie and her are the same age when they were puppies they always played together. We even had play dates over my house. Well I did go for a walk today I got in 7000 steps I will get in my 10k. My yard is starting to be brown the heat wave is killing it.
  • eku0
    Good morning!
    Irene, it's good you're keeping up on your walks.
    Body flow class this morning. No plans yet for the rest of the day.
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I am currently at 8,343 steps + One cent for the morning. Yesterday I reached 10,3xx steps total for the day. The weather this morning was slightly warmer than yesterday and it does not feel a if the predicted humidity drop has happened yet.

I stopped and mailed three bill payments and at the Grocery Store. Today I Picked up nicely green Bananas to use once I use up the one left in the refrigerator. If they had been less green I would have only picked up one of the loose ones. I also bought two varieties of Apple, Bartlet Pears, a head of Lettuce, All safely in the refrigerator except for the Bananas. I stocked up today as it is 10% Senior Discount Day :) All that stuff made the Backpack a little heavy but being a frugal type I take advantage of discounts :)

My brother is a somewhat unhappy as he chased a rabbit all over the yard until I got away. He Caught it nipping off his Dill plants. Leaving a short stub sticking up.

Have a Really Great Wednesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good morning!
    I think some of the hibiscus are more tolerant of the weather, probably you could check with a nursery. They are pretty. Mine blooms inside sometimes through Nov or Dec. It starts blooming in May or June.
    Clay building for me today.
    Hi Jo! :) It's been pretty dry here too...our lawn is all browning. The Rose of Sharons are pretty....what colors do you have?
    Hi Irene...nice...love new shoes. :) Good to have a me day every so often.
    There was a recall on some of the batteries for my notebook (they were catching on fire), but mine didn't qualify. I wrote them a note anyway, because my battery stopped being able to charge just after the waranty was up (1 year), which is really poor quality. Probably won't get a new one out of it, but at least I got it off my chest.
    Have a good night, everyone. :)
    Good morning!
    Irene, it's good you're keeping up on your walks.
    Body flow class this morning. No plans yet for the rest of the day.

Hi Vix
    One of the things that tends to kill rechargeable batteries is always leaving the device plugged in. As I understand it the batteries have so many charge cycles in them. Leaving them plugged in tends to cycle the charges a lot as they slowly lose charge and then charge if even not being used. The Worst Laptop batteries I have had are Toshiba, The best is Acer, a Cheap laptop BTW, I only paid $329 for it new when Windows 7 was introduced. IME HP are so so. Lenovo and Dell batteries seem to be OK too. I had experience servicing Toshiba & Lenovo laptops when where I worked was a ASP for them (Authorized Service Provider). We also sold Used Dells that were bought in quantity off of lease and I do not recall any battery complaints from then. The Old Pre-Lenovo purchase ThinkPad Batteries generally were good too and that was many years later. Certain models had a systemic problem with the Video Chip contacts breaking loose from the Motherboard however, I can not fault them for that as it was happening to most every brand at the point due to the mandated change over to a low Lead Solder.

Oh well enough history. We had some batteries that were not covered under the recall either. Sometimes they were added later however.

Just curious what brand Notebook is/was it?

I just took the upgrade from windows 7 to 10 on the Acer. So far so good, OTOH I have not turned it on today since I had to finish that before I could retire. I do have the factory Hard Drive on the shelf just in case. Shortly after I bought it as once I saw the difference a SSD made in performance I changed everything to them. That was when they started being affordable. I chose Intel for reliability, Of course life being what it is the model I chose had a firmware bug that could brick the drive :) I had used 4 by then and never had that problem with them and I did do the firmware update that fixed that problem. bad firmware was also a issue with certain models of Seagate had Drives, As I recall that one after so many power ons it would brick itself :( I was lucky there too.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    good morning,well I slept in this morning took Annie for a short walk later but George took her at her regular time. So far today I went to the bank, credit union and went shopping got 2 new pairs of shoes and a new purse so it was all about me the rest of the day I plan on taking it easy . I have a rose of sharon it is huge every year we trim it and it comes back beautiful.
    good morning,I wanted to thank everyone for the great support of my friends dog . Annie and her are the same age when they were puppies they always played together. We even had play dates over my House.

Well I did go for a walk today I got in 7000 steps I will get in my 10k. My yard is starting to be brown the heat wave is killing it.

Hi Irene
    I know the Rose of Sharon arr hardy, almost to hardy. Them and Ivy are both invasive and hard to get rid of.

It sounds as if You had a great Me day.

If I said IMO the grass goes brown and then when the rains return it greens up again. I look at it as going dormant and thereby eliminating the need to mow, Yea!

Be thankful You are not wearing a fur coat when walking like Annie does :)
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good afternoon;
    I have just transplanted a few ROS seedings into a pot until I can decide where to put them.
    Roger-I am glad you got your dinner cooked before you lost power.
    Everything is so dry, my backyard looks like fall,my lawn is covered with leaves. Send me some of the rain you are getting.
    Irene-It is nice to sleep in once in a while.
    Hi Vix.
    Hi Joanne
    If I said the rain is not frequent enough, it stays dry for days then a brief deluge and back to dry. Parts of NJ are in Drought conditions with lawn watering restrictions north of me. Here so far so good. Still moderately below normal rainfall amounts however.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Sometimes You can't make it up or It is hard to believe
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3709467/Special-delivery-Democrats-procure-flags-convention-stage-embarrassing-oversight-leaves-Old-Glory-missing-Monday-night-s-festivities.html
    Special delivery! Democrats procure flags for convention stage after embarrassing oversight leaves Old Glory missing from Monday night's festivities
    http://www.wtae.com/national/all-4-wheels-fall-off-after-brake-job/39581986
    All 4 wheels fall off after brake job
    Visit to California Jiffy Lube results in some problems
    UPDATED 4:59 AM EDT May 17, 2016
  • eku0
    Roger, I have an HP Pavilion 17 Notebook. I found a way to get the battery to start charging and it worked once. It didn't work the second time. It's a sub standard battery for sure. I always unplug if I'm not using it. When the battery worked, I would only plug it in when it was low. I do have the notepad to take with us when traveling, and this notebook is really too big to carry around, so mostly I use it as a desktop anyway.
    I stopped going to Jiffy Lube...they left my oil leaking....got a good deal at the dealer...3 oil changes with a synthetic blend for $99. With the synthetic, they set my next oil change for 6000 miles. I was using regular and changing it every 3000-3500.
    Haha...I read that article about the mummy....arthritis and tooth decay!
  • Joanne3366
    Good afternoon;
    Vix-my Rose of Sharon is white with a red center.
    Irene-It is nice to have a me day every once in a while.
    My neighbor finally hired someone to mow her lawn. :) I hope she keeps up with it.
    This is the 3rd day in a row that I have done cardio exercises and stretching. :)
    Enjoy the rest of the day. :)
  • Joanne3366
    Here is a photo of my back yardjsfx5bi917jd.jpeg
  • eku0
    Jo, what a nice big yard....I love your tree. :) We used to have the same rose of sharon and we also had purple/lavender colored ones. Good for you for getting the exercises in. :) Glad your neighbor is getting her yard taken care of. No one wants an eyesore in the neighborhood.
    My husband doesn't mind when the grass turns brown, because it is just dormant and gives him a break from mowing! :) (Ours is brown now too, but now we have a much smaller yard.)
    We went out and I picked up 2 cups and a small dish I had made at my pottery class. I think I'll go in Friday and finish up the other things I had started.
    Have a good evening, everyone.
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I ended up with 10.3k steps yesterday, So far today I am at 7025 steps :) Around 10AM I will be heading out to the doctors for the follow up visit and to see if that X-ray showed anything.
    Wish me luck, It was 77 degrees at 6AM and humid. So far the plan is to walk there anyway and probably pick up a Decaf on the way home with a little ice in it to make it drinkable right away. I will adjust the route to the doctor to as short as possible or take a longer route based on how it feels when I get out the door. Tomorrow may be a different story according to the weather forecast.

According to my brother who went out and cleaned his AC filter while I was walking he needed a large blade to cut his way to the picnic table it was so humid :) His words were, I looked like one of the Three Musketeers waving my long blade.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • eku0
    Good morning!
    Good luck at the doctor's this morning, Roger.
    I'm off to my painting/drawing class. I need to cut down a mat to fit into a frame for my latest picture. I think I'm going to put it in the county fair, just for fun.
    I have a girl's night tonight with 2 of my friends...I know that'll be fun.
    Enjoy your day. :)
  • RogerToo
    Roger, I have an HP Pavilion 17 Notebook. I found a way to get the battery to start charging and it worked once. It didn't work the second time. It's a sub standard battery for sure. I always unplug if I'm not using it. When the battery worked, I would only plug it in when it was low. I do have the notepad to take with us when traveling, and this notebook is really too big to carry around, so mostly I use it as a desktop anyway.
    I stopped going to Jiffy Lube...they left my oil leaking....got a good deal at the dealer...3 oil changes with a synthetic blend for $99. With the synthetic, they set my next oil change for 6000 miles. I was using regular and changing it every 3000-3500.
    Haha...I read that article about the mummy....arthritis and tooth decay!

Hi Vix
    I had to have factory warranty performed for customers once I determined it was a hardware problem with HP. A Laptop should work well past the warranty period too. I agree a 17" laptop is to heavy to really use as laptop. OTOH the large screen makes it usable as a desktop computer.

I worked with someone that used a local chain for oil changes and repairs since he could drop it off and wail to work in a few minutes. However what a coincidence, it seemed most times he used them the next day something else would be defective :)

That explains why we use a local auto repair that only has the one location. They care about their customers. I have seen them not charge for tiny repairs including fixing my brothers flat tire for free :) And I was there when the owner came back from a test drive and check out on a used car for a couple and explained what repairs would cost and that the checkout was free, Saying Have a Nice day.
    Jo, what a nice big yard....I love your tree. :) We used to have the same rose of sharon and we also had purple/lavender colored ones. Good for you for getting the exercises in. :) Glad your neighbor is getting her yard taken care of. No one wants an eyesore in the neighborhood.
    My husband doesn't mind when the grass turns brown, because it is just dormant and gives him a break from mowing! :) (Ours is brown now too, but now we have a much smaller yard.)
    We went out and I picked up 2 cups and a small dish I had made at my pottery class. I think I'll go in Friday and finish up the other things I had started.
    Have a good evening, everyone.

Does that mean the end of Your pottery classes or just that it is time to start the next project.

I agree, that is how I look at the yard turning brown too.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Good afternoon;
    Vix-my Rose of Sharon is white with a red center.
    Irene-It is nice to have a me day every once in a while.
    My neighbor finally hired someone to mow her lawn. :) I hope she keeps up with it.
    This is the 3rd day in a row that I have done cardio exercises and stretching. :)
    Enjoy the rest of the day. :)
    Here is a photo of my back yardjsfx5bi917jd.jpeg

Hi Joanne
    We usually keep three cases of water on hand, just in case, currently we have 7 :) since We could not resist the 2 for $3 coupon and used one coupon for each different key tag so currently a little overstocked.

What a nice sized yard and looks good too. And lucky You no mowing needed right now :)

Congratulations on the Cardio and Stretching as well as the neighbor having the yard taken care of.
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, Roger good luck at the drs. Yesterday I scrubbed my kitchen and bathroom they look so nice and clean trying to get a lot of the heavy cleaning done before I go in for my operation. Today I plan on using the sweeper on the upstairs steps and mowing the yawn we have a small yard it takes me about 10 minutes but the George doesn't have to do on the weekend. We cut our walk short this morning Annie heard gun shots and she wanted to come home she hates loud noises that was fine with me it was so humid out. Jo you really have a nice big yard. Vix I just found a shop that I can go and do ceramics in maybe after I get my knee fixed don't want to start something and then have to stop.well hope you all have a nice day