Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,369 Member
    Ocean City MD is about 3 hours away. We do get small tornadoes around our area occasionally, enough to rip up trees or shrubs or toss smaller things like grills, baby pools, or mailboxes, not very often. We had one in our old house when the kids were little. We saw it toss their baby pool like a frisbee way up into the sky, never to be seen again.
    We get to tour our son's workplace this afternoon. That should be fun. :)
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Good afternoon;
    Roger-thanks for the review on the ice cream. I am not a big fan of chocolate ice cream either, my favorite is vanilla.
    I also have 2 books going right now and am listening to a 3rd in my car. :)
    Vix-what kind of work does your son do?
    Hi Irene-I hope you got your walk in after the vet.
    Nothing new here, just doing laundry today.
    Have a great night. :)
  • eku0
    Hi all...the tour was fun.
    Jo, my son is a mechanical engineer. He is currently working with underwater controls for things for the Navy. The place he's working now has all kinds of projects...biomedical, aerospace,robotics, etc...very interesting.
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,163 Member
    good morning, Wow Vix your son's job sounds cool. I am happy to say I am all done cleaning my house looks good all dusted and clean so it should be easy for George to keep clean.I went this morning for our walk it was a little shorter I only got in 4789 I will get the rest in later. Yesterday after the vet I took Annie to Kuser park it is a nice place she loves it here I never did get my steps up to 10k . My plans for today is mow the yard and this afternoon I go for my pre op apt not sure what all will be going on but I am sure it will be more stuff for my operation well take care all oh I think I have read all the books on J d Robbs loved them waiting for new ones to come out. I am reading a book now by Nora Roberts The three sister Iland series it is pretty good read it before and enjoyed it.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    edited August 2016
    Hi
    I 10.6K steps on Wednesday
    Today I am at 9200 Steps and possibly that was due to the nice weather :) It was 65 degrees out the door and a good humidity level. I did not feel the heat of the sunshine until I was on the last two blocks of my walk. I was about a Mile out, somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of my walk when Mr. iPod stated in my ear Low Battery :) I knew it was getting close when I left so I took along a old AM/FM Cassette small portable just in case, It is old and the tape mechanism dies years ago however the radio section still works. I did not need it as the iPod kept on playing. However a little further on the controls stopped letting me pause playback or change the volume and trying to bring up the playlist just made it display low battery. That was before 7AM and it still was playing the playlist at 8:05, good to know too. It is now plugged in and charging.

Another Halo Top Mini Review
    I had planned to try a 60 calorie serving of the Strawberry Ice cream and another 60 calorie serving of the Lemon Cake ice Cream For my evening Dessert. The best made plans and all that. The Lemon Cake was so tasty before I knew 1/2 of the pint carton was gone and it took some will power to put the rest back in the freezer. I pulled it out 10 minutes ahead of time and let it soften up slightly.
    Oh well Tonight is another chance to try the Strawberry. My biggest complaint is that the ice Cream is not creamy, however it was tasty and that is what counts to me.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    eku0 wrote: »
    Ocean City MD is about 3 hours away. We do get small tornadoes around our area occasionally, enough to rip up trees or shrubs or toss smaller things like grills, baby pools, or mailboxes, not very often. We had one in our old house when the kids were little. We saw it toss their baby pool like a frisbee way up into the sky, never to be seen again.
    We get to tour our son's workplace this afternoon. That should be fun. :)
    Hi all...the tour was fun.
    Jo, my son is a mechanical engineer. He is currently working with underwater controls for things for the Navy. The place he's working now has all kinds of projects...biomedical, aerospace,robotics, etc...very interesting.

Hi Vix
    We have small tornados in NJ once in a while too. Usually the lowest grade of them. I suspect that watching the baby pool sail away was interesting if a little bit of a expensive loss.

It sounds as if You have a really smart Son too.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good afternoon;
    Roger-thanks for the review on the ice cream. I am not a big fan of chocolate ice cream either, my favorite is vanilla.
    I also have 2 books going right now and am listening to a 3rd in my car. :)
    Vix-what kind of work does your son do?
    Hi Irene-I hope you got your walk in after the vet.
    Nothing new here, just doing laundry today.
    Have a great night. :)

Hi Joanne
    As You can see I did like the Lemon Cake Ice Cream. I wish they had Vanilla in stock as I like it too. Hopefully tonight's Strawberry will be as tasty as the Lemon Cake was last night.

I wonder if The Old Time Radio Shows I listen too while walking count as a third book :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    good morning, Wow Vix your son's job sounds cool. I am happy to say I am all done cleaning my house looks good all dusted and clean so it should be easy for George to keep clean.I went this morning for our walk it was a little shorter I only got in 4789 I will get the rest in later. Yesterday after the vet I took Annie to Kuser park it is a nice place she loves it here I never did get my steps up to 10k . My plans for today is mow the yard and this afternoon I go for my pre op apt not sure what all will be going on but I am sure it will be more stuff for my operation well take care all oh I think I have read all the books on J d Robbs loved them waiting for new ones to come out. I am reading a book now by Nora Roberts The three sister Iland series it is pretty good read it before and enjoyed it.

Hi Irene
    You sound so industrious. Some days I do not get to 10K steps either, I do not plan to lose sleep over it however :)

Good Luck The Afternoon
    Roger
  • eku0
    edited August 2016
    Hi all...you all do so much walking and cleaning, I feel like a slacker! :wink:
    Went to painting class this morning. We were getting things ready to go into one of the county fairs. I'm just putting in one painting. I helped some other people fill out their forms and wired some frames, so they could be hung. Then went out to lunch with a few of the ladies. It was a nice way to spend a good part of the day.
    Have a chiropractor appt this afternoon. Good to get the bones in line!
    Enjoy the rest of your day. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi Vix
    I would not feel like that if I were You, I feel like a slacker when it comes to cleaning :)
    I consider myself lucky when I can get out for a walk.

IMO You get a lot more constructive things done in Your Life.

Have a Good Afternoon & Evening
    Roger
  • Joanne3366
    Good evening;
    Vix-you are not a slacker, you do the fun stuff. Your son's job seems very interesting.
    Roger-I am a little afraid to get the Halo ice cream. If I like it I would probably eat it all at once. My hat is off to you for putting the remainder in the freezer.
    Irene-Good luck with the pre-op. It is usually blood work,chest x-ray, ekg and meeting with the anesthesiologist.
    I finished one of my books. I am about to start Harry Potter and the cursed child.
    Wishing everyone a good evening. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi Joanne
    I do not plan to get hand strain patting myself on the back, there is still tonight's Strawberry Pint to eat 1/2 of, then after that it is downhill as all I will have in the Freezer section will be 1/2 pints and that is 120 to 140 calories that fit a NS dessert portion size as I see it.

That is the one that is based on the Play?

Enjoy the Evening
    Roger
  • eku0
    Jo, I just started reading that! Takes a few pages to get used to the play format.
    My son's job does seem interesting. I wish I had the foresight to go into a science field when I was young.
    Thanks, Roger...my cleaning team is coming Monday...I guess I was used to doing all the cleaning my whole life, but it's nice not to have to do it all the time. And I haven't been walking as much as I should.
    Irene, hope all goes well with your pre-op. Surgery Monday?
    Have a good night everyone. ( I'm really glad you're all here) :)
  • RogerToo
    edited August 2016
    Hi
    I did 11.3K steps on Thursday
    Today I am at 9076 Steps and possibly that was due to the nice weather :) It was 65 degrees out the door and a good humidity level. I

While I was walking I made my per-planned stop at the grocery store and picked up three Bananas, Three Apples and Two Navel Oranges as I had a few Tangerines left in the Refrigerator. I also picked up some Extra Creamy Redi-Whip to use with the NS Golden Pound Cake, Chocolate Cake, Fudge Brownie and Carrot Cake. I plan to use it as a Limited Extra, each serving is 15 calories :)

Another Halo Top Mini Review
    I had planned to try a 140 calorie serving of the Strawberry Ice cream 1/2 pint. The Strawberry was tasty and before I knew it the 1/2 of the pint carton was gone. I pulled it out 15 minutes ahead of time and to let it soften up.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Jo, I just started reading that! Takes a few pages to get used to the play format.
    My son's job does seem interesting. I wish I had the foresight to go into a science field when I was young.
    Thanks, Roger...my cleaning team is coming Monday...I guess I was used to doing all the cleaning my whole life, but it's nice not to have to do it all the time. And I haven't been walking as much as I should.
    Irene, hope all goes well with your pre-op. Surgery Monday?
    Have a good night everyone. ( I'm really glad you're all here) :)

Hi Vix
    I got out the door earlier than planned, I expect I will be tired later, possibly a nice afternoon nap.... I had a bad dream and could not get back to sleep afterwards. It happens I guess, the strange thing is it was not anything that happened or could happen in the future, No idea why it happened, Oh Well :)

You would think they would have redone that book to be easier to read. I will be interested in how You and Joanne liked it. I would not buy it of course, however I would likely borrow it from the Library.

I wish I felt that a cleaning service was affordable.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    I got the book from the library, Roger. I don't like to buy books because they tend to accumulate. I bought a few that the library was getting rid of just to have some on hand, but I'll give them away or pass them on after reading. My library usually sells books...$4.00 for a bagful.
    I'm glad zumba is early in the morning, before I lose my motivation!
    Have a good day, everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    hi all, been busy getting everything ready for surgery on monday I got all my perscription so I am pretty much ready not going to worry about getting a cane I have a walking stick which I hope I can use instead of a cane. Went and had all my nail polish and gel taken off so I guess I am ready. Annie has come down with a cough so later I will be taking her to the vet. My apt yesterday was really nice met with pt she went over every thing and what she didn't cover the dr did but it still is scary . So now I am off all vitamins, pain reliever I sure miss my aleve it sure helped with the pain . I did get my steps in right now I am at 11,500 so I fill good about that . Vix you do so much all the time I am so amazed at all you do. I also am glad I have you guys as friends . Roger and Jo hang in there.
  • Joanne3366
    Good afternoon;
    Irene-I hope Annie is ok. It sounds like you have everything in order for your surgery. I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. :)
    Vix-I just started reading the book today and yes it took a few chapters to get use to the format.
    Roger-Sorry you sleep was interrupted, hopefully you will get a good nights sleep tonight.
    I looked for the Halo ice cream, but my store didn't carry it. I will have to google and see what stores around me carry it.
    We have a skunk in the neighborhood. I have been smelling it in the afternoon. If I recall skunks don't usually come out in the daytime unless they are sick. I tried to sit on the deck this afternoon and read but the smell was to much for me. :s
    Have a good night. :)
  • eku0
    Hi all.
    Irene, sounds like you're ready. Congrats on all the walking. Hope Annie's better. It's good that you are comfortable with your doctors. Will send healing thoughts your way for a speedy recovery.
    Jo, hope that skunk moves out of your neighborhood! That must be really annoying.
    Roger, I've been having trouble sleeping too....hope you sleep better tonight.
    Have a good night, everyone. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    Today I am currently at 8K Steps and I finished up yesterday at 10.8K steps.
    I forgot to mention that Yesterday I managed to find 11 Cents.
    The weather today is much more humid and 75 degrees out the door too. That is pretty much ten degrees warmer than Yesterday. The only saving thing when walking is that there was no Sun beating down on me and the forecast rain so far is south of me in the Trenton area AKA the state capitol. I have the NJ 101.5 FM radio station on and they are talking about a Stormy Saturday. So far a mostly cloudy sky and Thunderstorms this afternoon with high winds in places. Despite that it is supposed to get up to 85 -90 degrees as a high today :(

I do not have anything planned for today beyond having a NS Frozen Breakfast later on sometime after 9AM, So far I have eaten 1/2 a Banana before walking and the other 1/2 with a NS Coffee Protein Shake, So I have spread out my breakfast from 6AM to 7:50 so far and the Breakfast Entree still to come. Then at Noon my Midmorning Snack followed by a Lunch of a NS Grilled Chicken Sandwich, Vegetables, Light & Fit Greek Yogurt and one of yesterdays purchased Apples. Afternoon snack at 5PM and Dinner at 7:30, A NS Dinner Entree, Vegetables, Light & Fit Greek Yogurt and one of yesterdays purchased Oranges.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, Annie is good Dr gave her a shot yesterday he said it was allergy's she still has a little cough he checked her heart and lungs and all is clear and her temp was normal so I am really happy . She is amazing never even felt the shot . We went for a nice long walk I got in 8120 steps . Not too much planned for today just regular saturday stuff it looks like it is going to rain. Thanks guys for the warm wishes I am sure I will be on tomorrow.
  • RogerToo
    Good morning.
    I got the book from the library, Roger. I don't like to buy books because they tend to accumulate. I bought a few that the library was getting rid of just to have some on hand, but I'll give them away or pass them on after reading. My library usually sells books...$4.00 for a bagful.
    I'm glad zumba is early in the morning, before I lose my motivation!
    Have a good day, everyone. :)

Hi Vix
    I know what You mean I have two bookcases full of books :)
    Mine sells hardcover books for $1, many in like new condition that were donated for that purpose.
    Hi all.
    Irene, sounds like you're ready. Congrats on all the walking. Hope Annie's better. It's good that you are comfortable with your doctors. Will send healing thoughts your way for a speedy recovery.
    Jo, hope that skunk moves out of your neighborhood! That must be really annoying.
    Roger, I've been having trouble sleeping too....hope you sleep better tonight.
    Have a good night, everyone. :)

Hi Again
    I had a somewhat better nights sleep last night.

Thank You
    Roger
    hi all, been busy getting everything ready for surgery on Monday I got all my prescription so I am pretty much ready not going to worry about getting a cane I have a walking stick which I hope I can use instead of a cane. Went and had all my nail polish and gel taken off so I guess I am ready. Annie has come down with a cough so later I will be taking her to the vet. My apt yesterday was really nice met with pt she went over every thing and what she didn't cover the dr did but it still is scary . So now I am off all vitamins, pain reliever I sure miss my aleve it sure helped with the pain . I did get my steps in right now I am at 11,500 so I fill good about that . Vix you do so much all the time I am so amazed at all you do. I also am glad I have you guys as friends . Roger and Jo hang in there.
    good morning, Annie is good Dr gave her a shot yesterday he said it was allergy's she still has a little cough he checked her heart and lungs and all is clear and her temp was normal so I am really happy . She is amazing never even felt the shot . We went for a nice long walk I got in 8120 steps . Not too much planned for today just regular Saturday stuff it looks like it is going to rain. Thanks guys for the warm wishes I am sure I will be on tomorrow.

Hi Irene
    Your Friday walk went further than mine :)

It is good to hear that Annie is OK, Allergies, Something I never thought of a Pet getting, usually people are allergic to them.

Just curious when remove Nail Polish and Gel? No Vitamins, I wonder why, did they say? I could see not taking something like aspirin that might thin the blood and increase bleeding however, Does Aleve do that too?

I guess whether or not the walking stick works depends on the shape. IMO a Cane with the flat handle on top is the best as I believe it to be easier on the hand compared to the type with a rounded top. We have a nice Knobby wood walking stick that has a naturally shaped flat handle on top. OTOH the type that has a rounded knob on top or is longer where You hold onto the side not so easy on Your hand if You really need to lean on it.

I do not blame for taking it easy, the weather radar showed rain over Your area, Mercer County, when I checked before I went out the door. Tomorrow is supposed to be better weather too. I think that is more or less where You are located.

Stay Dry and Cool Today
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good afternoon;
    Irene-I hope Annie is ok. It sounds like you have everything in order for your surgery. I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. :)
    Vix-I just started reading the book today and yes it took a few chapters to get use to the format.
    Roger-Sorry you sleep was interrupted, hopefully you will get a good nights sleep tonight.
    I looked for the Halo ice cream, but my store didn't carry it. I will have to google and see what stores around me carry it.
    We have a skunk in the neighborhood. I have been smelling it in the afternoon. If I recall skunks don't usually come out in the daytime unless they are sick. I tried to sit on the deck this afternoon and read but the smell was to much for me. :s
    Have a good night. :)
    Hi Joanne
    I went to the Halo Top Website and used their tool where You enter Your location here:
    http://www.halotop.com/where-to-buy/
    I used a nearby Town, Bound Brook, NJ, United States and the first place that popped up was this
    Kings Market
    64 Mountain Blvd, Warren, NJ, 07059
    4.1 miles away
    Along with a Map showing it precisely marked.

Having said that, for the money, I will be blunt the Halo Top is not a great purchase for the price, I find that I like the Skinny Cow Cones as much as well as the WW Desserts and I do not have to play with weighing portions out. If You can stand the slightly higher calories, the Skinny Cow and the Weight Watcher Ice Creams are less expensive and available in all the Grocery Stores by me. 160 calories for the Skinny Cow Vanilla cones, two flavors available by me of the cones, one with a Caramel Drizzle on top and the other one with a Chocolate Drizzle. Then the WW Desserts are good too.

I'm not sure when Skunks get out, I have seen them on the front lawn in the evening before it got dark. And Sometimes I can smell them wandering down the driveway overnight, That did wake me up when it happens :)

Have a Nice Weekend
    Roger