Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,369 Member
    Good morning all.
    Happy Independence Day!
    MGN_1280x960_80702P00-DYZZO-860x645.jpg
    I'm sure some of our neighbors will have fireworks.
    Enjoy your holiday festivities. Stay healthy, everyone.
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,163 Member
    good morning, happy 4th hope everyone has a fun safe day we don't have any plans except church tonite take care everyone
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,318 Member
    Final Fourth of July dinner:

pq8e73n1i30q.png

Home made honey sriracha barbecued tofu for J, next to broccoli cheese casserole, me trying to get close to J's uncle's recipe for the casserole. I got pretty close.

odjqpstqh42h.png

Home made potato salad and deviled eggs. Grilled squash and onions. The grilled veggies were OK, but pretty pricy for such a small pan of them. Won't be buying that again.

3n2yxpfj2rg5.png

Home made slow baked beans.

xuupke9421zl.png

Burnt ends and pieces in a slightly spicy sauce, prepackaged from Kroger. This was quite nice and I may well buy it again.

a7x5ajz4paqh.png

My dinner, as served.

3b0f7plxzdd7.png

Wine, of course, a nice Malbec.

vh5qfpcr6pyf.png

Mostly home made cherry blueberry crumble. The cherry part underneath is a can of cherry pie filling. The blueberry part came from our blueberry bushes, and I made the crumble topping. We will eat some of it later with vanilla ice cream.
  • eku0
    Good morning all.
    Some neighbors set off fireworks...I didn't see any, but I heard them.
    Ed, I see you celebrate with lots of food....that crumble looks especially delish.
    Another hot day.
    I tried to see the partial lunar eclipse last night, but it was really hard to see. The moon was a gorgeous golden color earlier in the evening.
    Hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's revenge of the fifth!

If it's what I consider a "food holiday" then we usually celebrate it with food. Normally, we might have had a guest or two to help eat it, but not in current times. I had enough food for guests, and there was that can of corn and the zesty au gratin potato casserole on standby, but both can wait for another meal.

I got really close to the right recipe on the broccoli casserole. Considering that J's uncle M gave a very vague "recipe" I felt really proud of myself. I think uncle M cooks without recipes, as I do, so I really didn't have too much trouble filling in the gaps, after asking J a few questions about the appearance of the finished product.

I have never tasted uncle M's casserole, but M's mother (J's maternal grandmother) was a great cook and I remember especially that she used to make great stuffed eggs. We couldn't call them deviled eggs in her house. She was married to a preacher.

J's other grandmother provided the potato salad recipe. I never met her as she passed on many years ago, before I met J, but her potato salad lives on. It's very simple and doesn't take long to make. I would want to sometimes add mustard, but she didn't and J doesn't care much for mustard. I sometimes stir some into my serving.

I used way too many cracker crumbs, but J said that the casserole tasted right, though it was a bit dryer than uncle M's casserole. I will get it closer, and maybe nail it next time.

The crumble is to die for, or, in my case, being diabetic, perhaps to die from. The cherry pie filling and blueberries paired really well, and that sweet, crisp, crumble topping (1 part packed brown sugar, 1 part butter, softened or melted, 2 parts flour mixed until a somewhat damp sand texture, then crumbled over the fruit filling) would be great on any fruit. We each had a small serving later yesterday afternoon, warmed, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

I don't need to make that crumble often. I guess we'll be eating it at least today and tomorrow to finish it off.

I need to get to the regular grocery store soon. Maybe tomorrow instead of a walk.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

• Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Hi!!
    It was quiet today until about 8 pm. then loud booms. I tried to see yesterday, but not sure if the trees are in the way, or they are lust mostly noise. It was a very quiet 4th, and I just did a few things around the house, and relaxed and watched some Movies. The heat index yesterday was around 104, so I gave up trying anything in the yard. You can not stay out long, as the sketters will get you right thru the deep woods Off. I was so busy checking I had the no of proteins to carry me thru the 4th, I totally forgot to actually plan meals. I had conecuh sausage and rice so decided on making a curry with onions, apples, and raisins in it. I got a little carried away with some red pepper flakes as I decided it needed a kick, and added a little juice from the sausages to it. It was so good, but since I added the juice, I really did not need the red pepper! It was good though. Certainly not my 4th normal fare!!

Ed, your food looked scrumptious. It was about then I missed my normal 4th meal, lol... I missed church on line today, so I am all messed up. i had it, and when it started , all I can think is I hit something by mistake and destroyed the link. talk about all ready and nowhere to go!! It took a while for me to stop trying things and settle on something else. By then, I needed the wine for sure. :D

Glad you all had a safe quiet holiday. Vix, glad your people are negative. I hope your daughters' in- laws will both be doing better soon. How frightening.. My friend at church has a housekeeper that just lost her daughter. My guess is she was probably 30-40 years old. I need to talk with my friend. So slowly it is making inroads. Opening was fine, but lack of being careful seems to be taking it's toll.Too many people who did not care I feel will be passing it to those who truly try to pay heed. Guess we will see.
    I remembered about the partial eclipse but saw it too early. I decided to go to bed and read, then forgot to check it out before sleep. About normal, no short term memory, lol.. Irene, Sounds like you are doing well!! Jo, hope you will be off soon and things are running smoothly!!

Take care all!! :)<3
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, we had a nice holiday spent most of it in the pool today we are planning a trip to Costco need to pick up a couple of things. Our puppy will be here on the 16 th looking forward to a new pup take care
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday! I have been to Kroger AND Publix. Kroger didn't have any paper towels. I still need to get to PetSmart for cat supplies. I will probably head out in just a moment when I finish this mug of tea.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    Good morning all.
    Ed, I mostly avoid sugary things too, which makes it such a treat when one does indulge! I had some ice cream yesterday too. Hubs "mistakenly" bought some chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream...just happened to be gluten free (for him), and totally scrumptious, so of course, we both had to have some. :smirk:
    Irene, these are great days to spend in a pool. Enjoy!
    Jan, your curry sounds interesting....I usually make it with lots of veggies. I don't usually go outside when there are a lot of mosquitos about....that would make it unappealing. I've been going out for a little while in the mornings to get some light sun, but spending most time indoors. I've been watching some movies too, but it's hard to find anything good on tv, so I settle for whatever or read. It was a penumbral partial eclipse, so it was very hard to see with the naked eye....in other words, you didn't miss anything! I tried, but really couldn't see it.
    Jo, I'm sure you're busy. Hope you had a nice weekend.
    Start of a new week. Have a good one.

• parityanimal
    I managed to get to PetSmart, buy stuff for the cats, and back home before the rain started so I call that a win!

I won't need canned cat food now until next month and I am sure I am OK on kitty litter, and possibly on dry cat food.

As I have been having trouble getting the kind of kibble the younger females eat, because my PetSmart seems to always be out lately, I have been ordering that online anyway. I may need more of that one before the month is out, but can wait a bit before ordering more.

I am sure I have plenty of Lilo's prescription kibble and Orion's different prescription kibble.

• parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! No walk today. It was beyond sticky out there, with not quite a drizzle, but definitely precipitation. I don't have windshield wipers on my glasses and think I would have shortly been walking blind if I had tried. While I was out there checking the weather, I did see someone braving the mist across the street to walk, and I didn't see any dog with them so I guess they were actually exercise walking in the mist.

I am expecting a crate of 18 bottles of wine today, which will just about fill up my wine storage. If it arrives in time, I need to get to the vet to pick up Lilo's next bag of lactated ringer fluid for the next ten treatments.

And, weather permitting, I would love to check out the new Lidl grocery that has opened not far from our Trader Joe's, as it is another European discount grocery that has migrated and is a growing chain. They claim that 80% of their product is their own branded stuff, but that they carry more name brands too, depending on the deals they can get, and that they are larger physical stores than Aldi and most Trader Joe's stores are. They are definitely here to compete with Aldi and Trader Joe's. They can't really match the convenience of an Aldi about half a mile from our house, but may become a welcome new option for us.

• eku0
    Good morning all.
    71, mostly cloudy with a high of 88 today, 95% humidity, possible t-storms later.
    Good to take a day off every so often, Ed...I took a day off exercise on Sunday. That's great that you're getting your wine storage filled up! Stay happy. ;) Sounds like you have a good variety of grocery stores nearby. We only have 3 in town, and every so often will make a drive out to Wegman's or Trader Joe's(rarely). I hope you get to pick up Lilo's treatments.
    Hope everyone is doing well.
    Stay healthy.
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Good morning!!
    Another wet day, with some lightening and thunder. My weather is close to yours, Vix! Glad you got a day off excising!! Ed, you are so fortunate in your location. We did get an Aldi in Prattville with especially great fruit and veggies. I rarely think to go there. I need to for variety. I am between 2 towns , so many times it is the same drive either way. Not bad, but sometimes it seems to be easier to be lazy and stay at home.

Family is getting together for my B-Day weds. I have not seen my daughter and son together in who knows how long. My grand-kids I have not seen since church closed. I know they have grown. I am excited. We all stay pretty much isolated so I feel safe. So do they...Hopefully. They are teachers, daughter in law included, so I feel they will be less safe as time goes on. They felt the same. Oh, brother!

My friend made it thru the 17 people (all family) visiting the homestead. My friends did not go to eat, but I wish you could meet her!! She is the ultimate hostess and beautiful Southern Lady. She brought a table to the front yard, and had a bowl set with fresh cut watermelon, forks and plates. She could not do chairs, and figured it would help them not stay too long!! They were all very respectful and had masks. They swapped stories at a proper distance and a few wandered thru a couple homes they remembered as children. (with Permission.) It turned out well, considering the no. of people and covid. I think everyone was pretty safe! That was kind of cool..It seemed wonderful to me they were interested in their history and also seemed very mindful of distancing. Maybe there IS hope, lol...

My daughter gifted me with an air fryer. I cheated and opened a day early as it was sent direct and May May was afraid of the box!! That is my story and I'm sticking to it!! I had Jenny on the phone, and she told me she had figured I might not wait, lol.. I am going to try some broccoli and cauliflower in it tonite.

Irene, glad you are doing well! Hi Jo!!! Hope everything is going well and you are getting some rest!! Miss hearing from you!! :)
    Stay well all!! Enjoy the little things!! <3
  • parityanimal
    Well, here's today's wine delivery. Now I have a good stock of some of my favorites, and a few that are relatively new to me. My wine storage is full except for ONE HOLE. If that really bothers me, I can fill it by buying a bottle at Lidl if I get a chance to go there. I would like to see if their wine is any good anyway.

ftcjuygv5qrb.png
  • eku0
    Good morning all.
    jan-2.gif
    Glad your friends' party went well, and wishing you a very happy day with your family!
    Ed, nice supply!
    Hi to Irene and Jo!
    I have a dentist appt this morning.
    Have a good day, everyone.
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, Happy birthday Jan! I have a air fryer I use it a lot hope you enjoy it
  • parityanimal
    edited July 2020
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Warm and sticky again, and a chance of p.m. rain. When the breeze moves, it is surprisingly pleasant, despite the high humidity.

I am going to try to get to Lidl in a while and see how that grocery looks. And I may buy that one bottle of wine that will fill the wine storage to capacity. Maybe two, and open one tonight.

Happy Birthday Jan. I feel sure you will enjoy the air fryer.

90vq5j9wl6a5.jpg

———————————————

• parityanimal
    Today's wine purchases that will put me over capacity on wine storage (but not by very much and not for long) purchased at Lidl, an Aldi-like grocery, but with a bit more name brand stuff.

ipanhpm0kb3s.png
  • IreneMurman
    good Thursday morning, going to mow the yawn today it is already 73 so i will be getting out early
  • eku0
    Good morning all.
    Good idea to mow the lawn early, Irene before it gets too hot.
    Interesting selections, Ed.
    Dentist visit was fine...seemed to be very long, but my teeth are clean and that's good.
    Mostly sunny here with a high of 91 expected, humidity 68-83%. Possible t-storms the next 2 days.
    Getting my house cleaned today. Yay.
    Have a good day, everyone.