Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi Irene
    Enjoy Your Vacation
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    It is 10pm and we are in for the evening.
    Roger- Soho was interesting. We only walked through. There were a few adult stores and strip clubs and a lot of same sex couples.
    Portobello market was very crowded. They have everything you can think of.
    Irene- have a great vacation!
    We went to the Sherlock Holmes museum.

Hi Joanne
    Interesting that they have a Holmes Museum and House considering he was fictional :)
    I bet it was interesting too.

I wonder if the same thing will end up happening to Agatha Christie's main Characters, Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot? Or maybe it has already happened. I have watched a British series called Last of the Summer Wine and it appears You can rent the house where one of them called Nora Batty lived in the show. FWIW Last of the Summer Wine is the longest-running comedy programme in Britain and the longest-running sitcom in the world Having run for 31 years. Not to include the two years of overlap with a prequel called First of the Summer Wine that ran in 1988 & 1989 which was partway through the 31 year run of Last of the summer wine. Some episode are on YouTube FWIW.

SoHo sounds like Greenwich Village to me also as Vix Mentioned. It sounds as if the Reputation of Portobello Market is well deserved. Did You pick up any bargains?
    Enjoy the Rest of Your Vacation Too
    Roger
    eku0 wrote: »
    Good morning!
    Jo, interesting...Sherlock Holmes house looks chock full. Obviously not a minimalist. :) I would have expected Soho to be like Greenwich Village in NY. The market sounds like fun.
    Irene, hope you're having a nice peaceful vacation at the lake. :)
    Roger, the recovery of Ellicott City is going slowly...they're trying to make it safe and do it right...they've recently opened to pedestrians, I guess they've shored up the unsteady buildings. They're expecting it to take about a year. Here's an article: http://wtop.com/howard-county/2016/09/ellicott-citys-main-street-reopen-county-plans-long-term-recovery-steps/
    There were a lot of people at the benefit...some of the restaurants normally on Main Street had booths set up and were selling food, some of the stores had booths and were selling their wares, and they had 60 bands (mostly local) playing music in 4 different locations for about 45 minute shifts throughout the day and evening. We stayed for a few hours, my son and his girlfriend met us there. It was nice to enjoy the weather and to see so many people out supporting the community.
    The flea market I went to in the morning was huge. I was with a friend who had to look carefully at every stall, and I gave up after a couple of hours and about 1/3 of the flea market gone through! I did get a set of 4 electric candle sticks for my front windows for the holidays. I was looking for corded ones last year and couldn't find them. Voila! Now I have them and for only $3. :) They have the flea market twice a year, so I'll go back again in April.
    Needless to say, I was really tired last night after all that milling about yesterday.
    So no real plans for today.
    Happy Sunday, everyone. :)
    Hi Vix
    It sounds as if You had a Nice time at the Benefit and it is always nice to see family.

That is the reason I do not often go to the Grocery Store with my Brother. He hits every Aisle looking at everything, taking over an hour, whereas I am a Go in with a list, Grab whats on the list and get out ASAP :)

Congratulations on Your Find, I wonder why they are not available anymore. Strange to me.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,371 Member
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, I'm not much of a shopper. I'll browse a little, but don't have the patience to pore over things. I usually just glance around and see if anything catches my fancy, then I'll look at that. Like you, grocery shopping, I make a list and get out!
    I think they still make those corded candlesticks, I just couldn't find them last year. I might have been out looking too late (too close to the holidays).
    Just back from a walk in the local park, pretty nice out. :)
    Hope you have a good day too.
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I have to agree, what a nice day. I still have not turned on either of the AC units, and may not have to, Saving on electric is always good.

I suspect that You still are more of a shopper than I am. I prefer to not even bother looking to see if anything catches my fancy. Such as This morning, while my brother went to the ShopRite I drove over to the Acme and picked up some frozen Dinner Entrees that are on sale from $1.79 to $2.29 :) Between them and the three $1 Yogurts I spent just under $40 for the 19 entrees which weigh between 8 & 9+ ounces per. Some are comparable in calorie count to the NS Lunch entrees but more weight and the rest will be good for Dinners as a NS Dinner equivalent.

Plus they will add more variety to my meals. Lunch today was a 230 calorie Risotto/Mushroom/Spring Peas entree from this mornings shopping.

Have a Nice Evening
    Roger
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Hi all
    Vix- that was only one room if Holmes's house. All the others were chock full too. Good find on the candle sticks.
    Today we went to a local farmers market and Spitelfields market and the great london fire of 1666 monument. We also went to Leadenhal market, but it was closed. We walked to all these places and I have more than 25,000 steps today.
    Roger- it has been quite warm here. I have been in sleeveless tops.
  • RogerToo
    Hi all
    Vix- that was only one room if Holmes's house. All the others were chock full too. Good find on the candle sticks.
    Today we went to a local farmers market and Spitelfields market and the great london fire of 1666 monument. We also went to Leadenhal market, but it was closed. We walked to all these places and I have more than 25,000 steps today.
    Roger- it has been quite warm here. I have been in sleeveless tops.

Hi Joanne
    It sounds as if You have been busy. What a nice step count, That should offset some of the local cuisine You must be eating.

I wish I could say quite warm here. I have been wearing gloves the last few mornings to keep my fingers warm.

Enjoy the Rest of the day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It was 50 Degrees This morning 5 degrees cooler than yesterday. I did wear a somewhat heavier long sleeve shirt over a light long sleeve shirt and light gloves. I have walked 8,090 steps so far and still no Cents. I have had a NS Chocolate flavor Shake. Breakfast will be either the NS Baked Blueberry Oatmeal or the $Store Blueberry waffles or to a Cold Cereal Breakfast.

The weather looks like rain overnight into Tuesday morning, I will have to decide what I am doing for walking then if at all. Also it is supposed to be warmer which may play into my decision.

Have a Good Monday
    Roger
  • eku0
    Hello...
    Jo, good for you! All that walking is wonderful, and the places you're visiting sound really interesting.
    Roger, it's been cooler here too...high of 68 today, also overcast all day. I did put on a hoodie this morning with my gym clothes.
    I swam instead of yoga today, the new instructor is not good for me. Then I had a massage this afternoon, so pretty good day. :)
    I made myself a shake this morning with vanilla protein powder, almond milk, some crushed ice and Tru-nut, which is a peanut-chocolate powder, 45 calories for 2 TBLsp. Good for a change. I found the Tru-nut on sale at TJMaxx. The only ingredients are peanuts and cocoa.
    Enjoy your day. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It was 66 Degrees This morning a large change from yesterday. It was comfortable walking despite a increase in the humidity. I have walked 8,361 steps so far and once again no Cents. I did see a penny however it was stuck into the driveway and did not pick up when I tried :(
    It rained overnight and the rain was finished earlier than the originally forecast time so it was OK to walk although I did take a small folding umbrella along in my back pocket, just in case.

Tomorrow is Grocery Store day for Bananas and Apples or Apples and Nectarines or Plums or all three to last until Sunday morning ainxe it is 10% senior discount day. With the advertised price per pound the bananas will be 26 cents a pound, Hard to beat that price unless they look really poor :)

I ended up unhappy yesterday, It appears that the Walking Appetites AKA Deer have discovered the Three Columnar Apple Trees in the back Yard. The first two pictures show the damage and the third picture shows the wire cages I ended up putting around them to protect them. Hopefully :)
    lJP5o9.jpg
    KnBxmi.jpg
    9akmbt.jpg

Have a Good Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hello...
    Jo, good for you! All that walking is wonderful, and the places you're visiting sound really interesting.
    Roger, it's been cooler here too...high of 68 today, also overcast all day. I did put on a hoodie this morning with my gym clothes.
    I swam instead of yoga today, the new instructor is not good for me. Then I had a massage this afternoon, so pretty good day. :)
    I made myself a shake this morning with vanilla protein powder, almond milk, some crushed ice and Tru-nut, which is a peanut-chocolate powder, 45 calories for 2 TBLsp. Good for a change. I found the Tru-nut on sale at TJMaxx. The only ingredients are peanuts and cocoa.
    Enjoy your day. :)

Hi Vix
    It is a lot warmer today, OTOH it is still comfortable.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that You do not have a Peanut Allergy :)
    A Peanut flavor shake sounds interesting. I think in my case I will stay with the 1% milk, when I tried the Almond Milk and Soy Milk I was less than unimpressed.

Nothing wrong with swimming for exercise, If there were someplace handy I would do that too. Nothing is all that close to me except a somewhat expensive community pool and it is seasonal.

Enjoy the Day
    Roger
  • eku0
    edited September 2016
    Good morning, Roger...and Jo and Irene on vacation.
    Aw, too bad about your apple trees...hope the fencing can save them.
    We've been having problems with brown spots in front of our house in the grassy part between the sidewalk and the road. My husband dug out the grass around the mailbox yesterday. We're not sure whether we'll put in a shrub or just rocks. Dogs can't kill rocks. Not sure what to do about the rest of the area. The brown spots are ugly. People should learn to curb their dogs. Guess that's my rant for the day.
    The gym we go to has a pool, and it's not too crowded early in the morning. I don't really like changing clothes at the gym, but if I stay in the sauna long enough, my bathing suit is dry enough that I can put my clothes on over it. yikes...I feel like I'm complaining about everything this morning!
    Anyway....off to play with clay.
    Have a great day.
  • Joanne3366
    Hi Vix, Irene and Roger,
    Today we did something exciting,laundry.
  • eku0
    Hi Jo...time with family anyway. :)
    I'm kind of upset today. From my clay group. The one lady fell and broke her leg a couple of weeks ago will be in a rehab facility for about another 5-6 weeks. Another one, both she and her husband had previously had cancer, his came back, she's also got a zillion other medical issues. He passed away on Sunday, and she's in the hospital getting a pacemaker today. She's only 60. I was trying to contact her for the last couple of weeks. I finally asked someone at the Senior center today. Totally sad, scary stuff. I just wrote and sent a note. Think I'll escape into some fiction for a while.
  • RogerToo
    Good morning, Roger...and Jo and Irene on vacation.
    Aw, too bad about your apple trees...hope the fencing can save them.
    We've been having problems with brown spots in front of our house in the grassy part between the sidewalk and the road. My husband dug out the grass around the mailbox yesterday. We're not sure whether we'll put in a shrub or just rocks. Dogs can't kill rocks. Not sure what to do about the rest of the area. The brown spots are ugly. People should learn to curb their dogs. Guess that's my rant for the day.
    The gym we go to has a pool, and it's not too crowded early in the morning. I don't really like changing clothes at the gym, but if I stay in the sauna long enough, my bathing suit is dry enough that I can put my clothes on over it. yikes...I feel like I'm complaining about everything this morning!
    Anyway....off to play with clay.
    Have a great day.

Hi Vix
    My Brother noticed today that they or something had also eaten many of the leaves off of the Beet Plants and some of the Sweet potato Vine leaves too. Since He had not thought to check them Yesterday when He saw the Apple Trees we do not know if it was damage from before or new damage. Also we pulled the memory chip from the trail camera and it showed nothing, it would have caught something eating at the Sweet potato vines or the Apple trees if it happened last night as I hung it where it saw them Yesterday after I made and installed the cages. I do not know if I mentioned it yesterday, I did see some when I was out walking coming out a side street some blocks from home and heading towards the brook.

Oh, The dogs caused the brown spots, hmmm. I am happy if they clean up the after the dog, Not to much to do about Your complaint beyond a fence.

No I do not feel as if You are over complaining, I would not be happy with that either.

Do You dry in the Sauna? I though they had a moist heat.
    Hi Jo...time with family anyway. :)
    I'm kind of upset today. From my clay group. The one lady fell and broke her leg a couple of weeks ago will be in a rehab facility for about another 5-6 weeks. Another one, both she and her husband had previously had cancer, his came back, she's also got a zillion other medical issues. He passed away on Sunday, and she's in the hospital getting a pacemaker today. She's only 60. I was trying to contact her for the last couple of weeks. I finally asked someone at the Senior center today. Totally sad, scary stuff. I just wrote and sent a note. Think I'll escape into some fiction for a while.

I do not blame You for being upset, Nobody likes to hear about those kinds of problems. 5 or 6 weeks more in rehab, I hope there is good insurance coverage, That sort of expense can be a killer.

I suspect that some People are genetically predisposed to medical problems. That was kind of You to send notes to them if I understood what You are saying. At least nowadays You can get a pacemaker.

I would also escape into fiction if I had that sort of day.

I have been watching a New TV show called the Good Place that is OK and therefore since I am enjoying it will likely not last long.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Hi Vix, Irene and Roger,
    Today we did something exciting,laundry.

Hi Joanne
    It may not have been exciting but it is a necessity to do even when traveling.

Enjoy the Rest of Your Vacation
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It was 55 Degrees This morning a large change from yesterday. It was still comfortable walking since I added a layer second layer of long sleeve shirt and Gloves. I have walked 8,080 steps so far and 10 Cents. It is now time to change to long pants for my walks, especially since some dummy, me, spilled coffee on his hiking shorts.

I stopped at the Grocery Store day for Bananas, Green Pears and Nectarines. Since it is 10% senior discount day. With the advertised price per pound the bananas will be 26 cents a pound, Hard to beat that price so I picked up enough to last me to next Wednesday and they are already in the refrigerator along with a couple of Pears and Nectarines. I still have a Apple from earlier and three days worth of Grapes that my brother picked up for me on a whim yesterday. He also brought home some Blackberries that are already eaten with my DInner as the SC as They usually last the shortest time. The Grapes were two servings of Large Green and tow servings of Large Red Grapes.

Later I will go over my upcoming NS order as Thursday 6PM is the latest I can make changes.

Have a Good Wednesday
    Roger
  • eku0
    Hi...
    Went to body flow class this a.m. Just stopped by the library and Walmart. Am now missing some nuts and bolts that were holding on my mud flap in the back of my car. Don't know if they just fell off, but one more thing to fix. It's raining pretty hard out and there is some thunder and lightning, so it'll have to wait.
    Hope you're having a good day. :)
  • Joanne3366
    Hello everyone,
    Vix- sorry about your friends husband. Fiction is a good way to escape,especially after the day you had.
    Roger-sorry to hear about your plants. Those critters sure can do a lot of damage
    We are going on a tour to Leeds castle, canterberry cathedral and the white cliffs of Dover.
    Hope you all have a better week than you have had so far.
  • RogerToo
    Hi...
    Went to body flow class this a.m. Just stopped by the library and Walmart. Am now missing some nuts and bolts that were holding on my mud flap in the back of my car. Don't know if they just fell off, but one more thing to fix. It's raining pretty hard out and there is some thunder and lightning, so it'll have to wait.
    Hope you're having a good day. :)

Hi Vix
    I had noticed on the last weather report I saw that rain had moved into southern NJ so I can believe You are having it much earlier than I.

Hmmm... Your car has Mud flaps?

Stay Safe & Dry
    Roger
    Hello everyone,
    Vix- sorry about your friends husband. Fiction is a good way to escape,especially after the day you had.
    Roger-sorry to hear about your plants. Those critters sure can do a lot of damage
    We are going on a tour to Leeds castle, canterberry cathedral and the white cliffs of Dover.
    Hope you all have a better week than you have had so far.
    Hi Joanne
    I see that You are doing the quite the tourist thing. That sounds like so much Fun.

I know they can do some damage, We had a problem with them last year eating the young Sunflowers off at ground level and earlier this year I suspected that Deer had eaten the flowers off of the Sunflowers in the back Yard. We do not know if it happened at the sane time or a day later but the next morning my brother noticed that some of the Sweet Potato Vines had some leaves eaten off and also some of the Beet plants. Since He had not looked at them it could have happened the same day or the day after I put the cages around the Apple Trees.

Enjoy the rest of Your Vacation
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited September 2016
    Hi
    It was 68 Degrees This morning a large change from yesterday. It was still comfortable walking however. I have walked 7.4K steps so far and 0 Cents. I have changed to long pants for my walks, So of course it warmed up :)
    I geared up in rain gear since the weather map showed rain over my area with more coming in from the west so of course I did not need it as it only drizzled a little bit.

While walking I also picked up a bunch of Black Walnuts off of the street as I had a Plastic bag just in case the weather forecast was wrong. I had noticed them the other day when I had nothing to put them in :(

Later I will go over my upcoming NS order as today at 6PM is the latest I can make changes.

Have a Good Thursday
    Roger
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Raining again/still here. Supposed to have a high of about 65 today. Fine with me, I'm ready for Fall.
    Jo, your sight-seeing sounds amazing...have so much fun. :)
    Irene, hope you're enjoying your vacation and getting good weather.
    Roger, sorry about your garden pest problems. We didn't have too many of those this year. Last year we had Japanese beetles and didn't manage to poison them until they had just about totally eaten our red maple. This year we saw a few, and sprayed them right away. We didn't have any major damage. Oh and my husband did put chicken wire around our front walkway to keep the bunnies from digging under it! Now he's repainting the bottom of our mailbox post and he dug out what was left of the grass and put rocks in there.
    Off to painting class this morning, and a rheumatologist appt this afternoon.
    Have a good day, everyone. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi Vix
    It appears that You are cooler there than here today as I was comfortable with a thin light long sleeve shirt and no gloves. I was starting to get a little warm under the rain jacket so since the predicted rain was a failure I opened it up and the breeze kept me comfortable.

BTW I find that the current usage by the weather people of the word forecasted bothers me when IMO they should just say predicted or forecast. Am I the only one that finds the way the English language is butchered by the Newscasters and weathermen troublesome?

Is the chicken wire working or is it too soon to tell?

The rocks should drain better than soil.

Have a enjoyable Painting class and good luck with the rheumatologist appt.
    Roger