Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    eku0 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I've made apple pie a few times...I always used fresh apples. :) I rarely buy canned food other than beans, occasionally tomatoes.
    Last of the summer wine music is very soothing, the other one funny. I love music from that era.
    Hot here today. Went to body flow class this morning and had my house cleaned. I have an appointment for accupuncture this afternoon. Should be interesting....something new for me.
    Enjoy your day.

Hi Vix
    You can find some of the episodes on YouTube if You are Interested, Last of the Summer Wine used the same theme with some minor variations for the entire 31st series or what we would call seasons. However the British series run a lot fewer episodes each year.
    I used this link and You just need to look for ones that run around 29 minutes or longer, Some of the Christmas Specials ran over an hour.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=last+of+the+summer+wine&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=last+of+the+summer+wine+youtube&tbm=vid
    And this link found a lot of Dads Army episodes, look for the same type of lengths
    https://www.google.com/search?q=last+of+the+summer+wine&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#tbm=vid&q=Dads+army+Youtube
    Dads Army as a FYI Ran 80 episodes over 9 Series and a Feature Film.
    I originally watched both of them Via PBS stations in the area.

I have no problem with canned food as such, just a lot of it is high in sodium :)
    That is the best way to do apple pie from fresh.

I'll be interested in hearing how the appointment for acupuncture went and how much it helped.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good afternoon;
    I always use fresh apples when I make pies.
    Roger-After my mom passed, I inherited all her recipes. I gathered everyone's favorites and made a cookbook for all my sisters and nieces for Christmas one year. It has a picture of my Mom oee

Hi Joanne
    That was a Nice thing to do for Your Family and as a remembrance of Your mother.

The hardest part of using fresh apples is finding what type You prefer, at least in my case :)

Enjoy the Day
    Roger
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,114 Member
    For the most part I like Macintosh apples in my pies. They are a little tarter than other apples and cook up nice and soft. This last pie I made I used honey crisp apples that we picked ourselves.
    Vix-good luck with the acupuncture. My mom also made lemon meringue pie.
    My last post should have said that the cookbook has a picture of my mom on the cover.
    I have been having some trouble with my computer freezing while I am typing. It seems to only happen on the MFP site.
    Hi Irene
    Enjoy your evening. :)
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,371 Member
    edited October 2016
    Jo, that was nice of you to make the cookbook and copies for your family. What a wonderful gift. :)
    Roger, Last of the Summer Wine is still shown on PBS here. I've never seen the other show. Thanks for the URLs.
    The acupuncture was interesting. She said it may take 4-6 weeks or longer before I feel any improvement (I have a lot of issues going on), but I actually feel a little more relaxed tonight than usual, so that's good. We also went over some dietary recommendations...pretty much what I was doing, but have slipped out of, so back to more restrictions. She also said that I'd be better off with cooked vegetables instead of raw (salads). So that's new. I think this may actually help. I'm happy to be finding practitioners that aren't recommending drugs. My experiment continues. I am hopeful.
    Irene, hope you continue to feel better, hope George is over his virus/flu.
    Have a good night, everyone. :smile:
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It is 65 degrees this morning and cloudy. I went walking today for 8,632 steps and One Shiny Penny that was just sitting there calling my name :)
    Forecast today if for the weather to turn cooler and stay colder In through next week.

Have a Great Thursday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    For the most part I like Macintosh apples in my pies. They are a little tarter than other apples and cook up nice and soft. This last pie I made I used honey crisp apples that we picked ourselves.
    Vix-good luck with the acupuncture. My mom also made lemon meringue pie.
    My last post should have said that the cookbook has a picture of my mom on the cover.
    I have been having some trouble with my computer freezing while I am typing. It seems to only happen on the MFP site.
    Hi Irene
    Enjoy your evening. :)
    Hi Joanne
    I'll bet the Honey Crisp Apples were delicious in the pie. I have been having one a day with my lunch as a SC. The last ones were a little Tart, the current ones I picked up are huge and sweeter too.

I wondered about the last post TBH :)
    I avoid a lot of problems with websites by using FireFox and the NoScript Add On and selectively unblocking some some things. As an example on this page I have 1/2 of the things that Javascript would otherwise run.
    Extra protection for your Firefox: NoScript allows JavaScript, Java (and other plugins) only for trusted domains of your choice (e.g. your home-banking web site). This whitelist based pre-emptive blocking approach  prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known and even unknown!) with no loss of functionality… Experts will agree: Firefox is really safer with NoScript :-)Winner of the "PC World World Class Award", this tool gives you with the best available protection on the web.
    It allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content to run only from trusted domains of your choice, e.g. your home-banking web site, guarding your "trust boundaries" against cross-site scripting attacks (XSS), cross-zone DNS rebinding / CSRF attacks (router hacking), and Clickjacking attempts, thanks to its unique ClearClick technology. It also implements the DoNotTrack tracking opt-out proposal by default, see https://hackademix.net/2010/12/28/x-do-not-track-support-in-noscript/.
    Such a preemptive approach prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known and even unknown!) with no loss of functionality...
    Experts do agree: Firefox is really safer with NoScript ;-)
    FAQ: https://noscript.net/faq
    Forum: https://noscript.net/forum

I also have some Add Ons disabled and Plugins set to Ask to Run so I can decide on a case by case basis.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Jo, that was nice of you to make the cookbook and copies for your family. What a wonderful gift. :)
    Roger, Last of the Summer Wine is still shown on PBS here. I've never seen the other show. Thanks for the URLs.
    The acupuncture was interesting. She said it may take 4-6 weeks or longer before I feel any improvement (I have a lot of issues going on), but I actually feel a little more relaxed tonight than usual, so that's good. We also went over some dietary recommendations...pretty much what I was doing, but have slipped out of, so back to more restrictions. She also said that I'd be better off with cooked vegetables instead of raw (salads). So that's new. I think this may actually help. I'm happy to be finding practitioners that aren't recommending drugs. My experiment continues. I am hopeful.
    Irene, hope you continue to feel better, hope George is over his virus/flu.
    Have a good night, everyone. :smile:

Hi Vix
    Thanks for the information.

That is interesting that it was recommended to eat cooked Vegetables and not Salads. I have a suspicion that part of the No Salad thing is that most people eat them doused with Salad Dressing and many of those have a lot of junk in them. I bet it is nice being more relaxed.

I broke down and ordered a Kindle when it was on sale for $50. It came and I set it up yesterday and added a bunch of free titles, including the First Harry Potter Book.
    I had some trouble with it not turning on and had to do the full reset to get to the setting it up screen. Then it was fine all day. This morning once again I would hit the power button and the green light would flash on and off and it did not power on again. Holding the power button until the green light flashed and then releasing it brought up a screen with the options of reset, cancel etc. And it was OK again.
    I will be on the email to support later on as it appears that it is defective. I am sure this is not normal operation for a new device :(

Good Luck with Your Experiment
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,163 Member
    good morning, Vix that is great that you are feeling a little better. George is still sick so he is staying home again today ,he has been sleeping a lot so that helps. I was getting so hungry reading all about the apples and apple pies I don't bake if I did I would eat the whole thing.Roger I love my kindle I always have something to read hope you get to enjoy it also.
  • RogerToo
    Hi Irene
    Overall I prefer Books on paper, however I have run across a few that I only saw Kindle editions so when I saw they had it pretty cheap with free shipping I bought one. Just my luck that I seem to have gotten a bad one :(
    Wish me Luck, I fired off a email about the problem and am charging it again, before I contact them as I had a reply that indicates I either need to call or Chat online to resolve the problem. I just tried turning it on a minute ago and the green power light just flashes on and off again as it was this morning. To me this indicates a continuing problem and not a fluke.

I have had a decent Caramel Apple Pie from a Bakery in the past. The problem is if I bought it I would likely eat the entire thing in a couple of days :)

I hope George gets better quickly
    Roger
  • eku0
    Hi all.
    Sorry about the kindle lemon, Roger....hopefully you will get it sorted out quickly. I have an old Nook. I still prefer paper books, but it's good for traveling or if find myself without a book to read.
    Irene, hope George is doing better today. I don't keep baked goods around either, because I too would eat the whole thing!
    Hi Jo!
    Went to painting class today....I have a lot of work/practice to do. It's still warm here today, high 70s, but supposed to start cooling off tomorrow. Where we're going in the mountains may have snow showers on Saturday! Brrrrrrr.
    Enjoy your day.
  • RogerToo
    Hi Vix
    I am sure if it is proven defective that they will replace it. I am going to test for a couple of more days just in case it is user error :)

Nook, is that Barnes and Noble?

Today is not that bad outside IMO, So far no rain either which I am unsure if that is a goof thing or a bad thing.

Have a Good Evening
    Roger
  • Joanne3366
    Good evening;
    I have a kindle,but haven't used it in a while. I also like to turn the pages of a book, old habits die hard.
    Irene-I hope George feels better soon.
    Vix-enjoy your time in the mountains. I hope you have decent weather.
    It was another nice day. One more day of work for me and I am on vacation again. This time I am staying home and doing fall cleaning.
    Have a nice evening. :)
  • eku0
    Roger, the Nook is Barnes and Noble....I have a very old one, it is mainly a reader (and I can buy books on it).
    Thanks, Jo, it should be pretty this time of year. I'll bring some games and a book in case of bad weather. It'll be fun to spend time with the family.
    Enjoy your vacation...take some time to relax!
    Have a good night, everyone.
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, Well George is feeling better he is going to go to work today.He has been home since Tuesday . Had pt yesterday she told me I am really improving I have about 3 more weeks of pt left . I feel the longer I go the stronger I will be . Yesterday it didn't hurt laying on the bed with the weight on the back of my knee it was the last minute when it started to hurt big change since the week before it hurt for the whole 4 minutes. Had a hard time sleeping last night it was my knee just could not find the right spot to sleep on it must mean I am getting better . Jo that was really nice about the cook books something they will have forever. Vix enjoy your time in the mountains such a great time to go with all the trees changing colors. Roger sorry you are having problems with your kindle, I have a tablet I use a lot got it a couple of years ago I use to have all these books laying around so now I don't which I like, I don't miss having the books but I think it is what each one of us perfers.
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It is 68 degrees this morning and very cloudy, Warmer than yesterday, hmmm... I went walking today for 8701 steps.
    Forecast today is for rain to move in later on.

MFP seems to be having some problems this morning too.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2016
    Good evening;
    I have a kindle,but haven't used it in a while. I also like to turn the pages of a book, old habits die hard.
    Irene-I hope George feels better soon.
    Vix-enjoy your time in the mountains. I hope you have decent weather.
    It was another nice day. One more day of work for me and I am on vacation again. This time I am staying home and doing fall cleaning.
    Have a nice evening. :)
    Hi Joanne
    Not to mention I have a Stand that holds the books in a good reading position and keeps the pages opened where I put them.

The Kindle seems to be OK this morning. I have taken the precaution of going on record with them that there may be a problem.

Fall cleaning, Not my idea of fun. It seems like You just got home from vacation :)
    Enjoy the upcoming Vacation
    Roger
    Roger, the Nook is Barnes and Noble....I have a very old one, it is mainly a reader (and I can buy books on it).
    Thanks, Jo, it should be pretty this time of year. I'll bring some games and a book in case of bad weather. It'll be fun to spend time with the family.
    Enjoy your vacation...take some time to relax!
    Have a good night, everyone.

Hi Vix
    I always wonder how the batteries hold up, Not in terms of running time, more of how long before they need to be replaced and I suspect that the e-book readers do not have user replaceable batteries either.

I can see where one would be handy on a vacation trip to read on a flight however.

Enjoy Your Vacation too. Everybody seems to be going away :)
    Roger
    good morning, Well George is feeling better he is going to go to work today.He has been home since Tuesday . Had pt yesterday she told me I am really improving I have about 3 more weeks of pt left . I feel the longer I go the stronger I will be . Yesterday it didn't hurt laying on the bed with the weight on the back of my knee it was the last minute when it started to hurt big change since the week before it hurt for the whole 4 minutes. Had a hard time sleeping last night it was my knee just could not find the right spot to sleep on it must mean I am getting better . Jo that was really nice about the cook books something they will have forever. Vix enjoy your time in the mountains such a great time to go with all the trees changing colors. Roger sorry you are having problems with your kindle, I have a tablet I use a lot got it a couple of years ago I use to have all these books laying around so now I don't which I like, I don't miss having the books but I think it is what each one of us perfers.

Hi Irene
    Good News that George is feeling better.

Nice that the PT is going good too. I wonder what the weight on the back of the knee does?

I hope You Have a Good Nights sleep tonight.

I am keeping my fingers crossed the the Kindle is OK and open to the possibility of User error. It does not seem completely intuitive in operation. As an example To turn off the screen I have to hold the power button for seconds and then choose shut off screen from the pop up with options to restart/cancel/or shut off screen. Another thing that seems weird to me is that when I turn it on the power light only goes green and then turns off??? To me that is weird.

I was out walking in a Pocket T-Shirt for the second day in a row. Weird weather for October 21st :)

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, well it is raining here and the wind is blowing it is only 53 out side so big difference in the weather . I would like some fall weather now ,this is my favorite time of the year I also like spring but summer it gets too hot. Vix hope you are enjoying your self in the mountains. Jo when I worked retail I always took a week off just to hang around the house and do deep cleaning those were really special times. Roger hope your kindle is working better ,good thing you did send an e-mail just in case it stops working again.
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    It is 52 degrees this morning cloudy and rainy, 16 degrees colder than yesterday, I went walked today for 8,999 steps One shy of 9K.
    Forecast today is for rain and later today windy. I geared up for the walk in in a medium weight long sleeve sweatshirt and my Frogg Toggs and of course gloves and was OK. The rain hitting the Hood on the Jacket sounded just like scratches on a record would :)

I was Listening to a Charlie Chan movie soundtrack while walking. One line stuck in my head. Someone told him he needs to use a Lie Detector, His answer, I have a Instant Lie detector, I'm married :)

The MFP problems yesterday are likely related to the DDOS that was on the news.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    good morning, well it is raining here and the wind is blowing it is only 53 out side so big difference in the weather . I would like some fall weather now ,this is my favorite time of the year I also like spring but summer it gets too hot. Vix hope you are enjoying your self in the mountains. Jo when I worked retail I always took a week off just to hang around the house and do deep cleaning those were really special times. Roger hope your kindle is working better ,good thing you did send an e-mail just in case it stops working again.

Hi Irene
    It was raining and a light wind when I went walking, With the prediction of higher winds later today I decided to go out the door at my usual time. The Hot Coffee did go down good too. I have a suspicion that the fall weather is done for :(
    I have found that two things helped me be much more comfortable this past 2 summers. Losing weight and Not eating a bunch of Carbs. I have figured out that a lot of carbs, especially sweets make me feel warmer.

The Kindle has been OK for the last two mornings so I suppose it could be user error :(
    I order a protective cover for it. The cover is described as only fitting the Latest Models, Generation 8 and they sent one for the Kindle 7th Generation and the space for the Kindle is too big so Back it goes. Hopefully the right one will come quickly.

Have a Nice Day, Stay Dry
    Roger
  • Joanne3366
    Good morning;
    Roger-I hope you get your kindle problems straightened out quickly.
    Vix-Have a wonderful vacation.
    Irene-Hope you are doing well.
    We had a lot of rain yesterday. It came down quite hard for a while. Today it is windy and
    I am making veal osso buco in the slow cooker for dinner tonight.
    Yesterday my daughter took my husband out for dinner for our birthdays. His was on Friday and mine was yesterday.
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2016
    Hi
    It is 47 degrees this morning and sunny. I went walking today for 8,149 steps. The forecast high for today is in the 60s.

The Frightmare on 16th Street Haunted house a family tradition for 31 years

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_story/2414119/article-The-Frightmare-on-16th-Street-Haunted-house-a-family-tradition-for-31-years
    Tom Cannella grew up with 1950s science fiction and horror movies
    Cannella, whose home has become something of a local legend.

Kids and adults line up for almost a month before Halloween to see what he will come up with next.

"I started out small and just added something every year," Cannella said.

Most of the additions have some interactive component, such as a moving arm or characters that suddenly come alive whenever someone comes near.

"I don't let anybody into the house," he said. "But we put up barricades and let people walk by the house."

People do, often lining up to wait their turn, especially on Halloween.

The interactive elements are only part of the fun. Over the years, family members and friends have joined in what amounts to a large Halloween party by dressing up. This year, their pet dog, Odie, dressed up as a lobster, and Cannella's grandson, Brandon, dressed up as Nemo.

He's mad!!!

This year, Cannella added a mad scientist to the collection that features over 50 separate interactive items. Some of the life-sized figures are from manufacturer's catalogues, but some are Cannella's own creations, with family members supplying him with clothing and other items.

Pictures Here
    http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index.ssf/2013/10/the_house_at_436_kennnedy_blvd.html

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Good morning;
    Roger-I hope you get your kindle problems straightened out quickly.
    Vix-Have a wonderful vacation.
    Irene-Hope you are doing well.
    We had a lot of rain yesterday. It came down quite hard for a while. Today it is windy and
    I am making veal osso buco in the slow cooker for dinner tonight.
    Yesterday my daughter took my husband out for dinner for our birthdays. His was on Friday and mine was yesterday.
    Hi Joanne
    We had 1/4 inch rain yesterday as near as I can tell. It then stopped raining and got very windy, Today a mild breeze that was tolerable while walking.

The Veal sounds delicious.

The replacement Kindle cover shows as out for Delivery today. AFAICT it is amazons own delivery service.

A Belated Happy Birthday to both of You
    Roger