Slower Weight loss at 50?

Options

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We got home around 7 last night. We started our journey home at 5am. We had to catch the 7:30 train from Manchester to London, then take the underground to the airport. The flight was about 45 mins delayed, but we made good time and landed at Logan around 3:15. We then had to wait for the shuttle bus to take us to Braintree which is a 40 min. drive, so we could pick up our car. Then it was off to the vet. Vinny was kind of listless and just not himself, so he had to be checked out by the vet before he could go home. He had developed diarrhea the day before and was being treated for it. The vet took a urine test and Vinny's sugar was a little elevated,so he decided
    to do a blood test to see if his diabetes was back. We had to wait until today for the results. Good news-no diabetes.
    bad news he has pancreatitis. So besides the antiobiotics, I have to give him an injection for the next 4 days.
    The contractor hasn't been able to start the roof because of the weather. I have a big piece of plywood over the rough opening for the window. The window won't be in until the first of the week. I was hoping the inside work and the roof would be finished when I got home.
    Irene-Congrats on losing 2 lbs. I am surprised to say that I didn't gain anything on vacation. I tried to make good choices. I did have fish and chips and a steak and ale pie with mashed potatoes and a hominy pie(which is potatoes, onions and cheese in pastry. I guess all the walking we did helped to burn off the calories.
    Roger-What are you going to do with the walnuts? I keep nuts for baking in the freezer. They seem to keep better this way. I will toast them a little to bring out the flavor if I had them for a long time.
    Vix-I saw a lot of foxes in he UKon mugs, stuffed animals, tote bags. Every time I saw one I thought of your little fox in your signature. :)
    Wow, I seem to have written a short novel, sorry for being so long winded.
    Have a great evening.

Hi Joanne
    I think I will do the same thing as the last time when I bought them in the Acme. I only found them this year when I started walking. Last years Purchase I used as a Good Fat and PF.

I like the taste. For the baking my brother does where he hands the finished product out, English walnuts are good enough and what the recipes call for too.

He usually makes a Type of Powdered Sugar Chocolate Ball with nuts in it. Fruit Cake from Alton Browns Recipe, even people that do not like Fruit Cake Like that one, So much better than the store bought that has given it a bad name :) A White Chocolate and other things Bark, Brownies, Mince Meat Pie, Banana Nut Bread and more. He goes into high gear baking at Christmas Time. Other times of the Year he makes assorted breads, One is a Beer batter bread where the Beer replaces the yeast. There is a bag of Rye Bread flour in the cupboard he just picked up so I foresee some home made Rye Bread. Last Year we made Fruit Cake Cupcakes that were well received.

I hope You get Your Roof and Window (Skylight?) in soon. It sounds as if You had foods we do not usually see here in the states.

Good Luck with Vinnie (Vinny?)
    Roger

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,173 Member
    Options
    Jo, so glad you had a great trip. Hard to spend a whole day traveling! I often eat things on vacation that I wouldn't normally eat, we usually only take time for breakfast/brunch and dinner and all the walking does burn it off. :) Sorry Vinny's having problems, poor kitty. Hope he starts feeling better now that you're back. Too bad the contractors didn't get as much done as you had hoped. With a little luck, it will be done soon. Also with a little luck, the hurricane will head out to sea and not touch down on the east coast.
    Roger, it would be torture for me to be around all the yummy things your brother bakes! I know I would have to break down once in a while and have a bite or two or three!
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi
    I walked despite the weather, Light rain and windy and low 50s.
    I walked a part of the walk and picked up my coffee and returned to the house. Then I went back out and did some more walking after changing to better gloves as the Brown Jersey were not cutting it in the rain. As I result when I ran the map for distance I had covered 3.66 miles between the two outings.

Have a Great Friday
    Roger
    eku0 wrote: »
    Jo, so glad you had a great trip. Hard to spend a whole day traveling! I often eat things on vacation that I wouldn't normally eat, we usually only take time for breakfast/brunch and dinner and all the walking does burn it off. :) Sorry Vinny's having problems, poor kitty. Hope he starts feeling better now that you're back. Too bad the contractors didn't get as much done as you had hoped. With a little luck, it will be done soon. Also with a little luck, the hurricane will head out to sea and not touch down on the east coast.
    Roger, it would be torture for me to be around all the yummy things your brother bakes! I know I would have to break down once in a while and have a bite or two or three!

Hi Vix
    I do taste them as a official o:) taster and second opinion person. However I do only take a small nibble as I know they have to be fattening from the ingredients :)

I think You may get your wish with the hurricane. Each New forecast shows that the probability is that it will be out to sea. Each time I saw a new forecast on Thursday the tracks were further out to sea. Then this morning it appears that Much of the East Coast is well out of the probability cone for it.

Have a Nice day
    Roger
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Good morning;
    Roger-all those goodies sound delicious. I love home baked goods. I am having a new bigger window put in the kitchen. They are shooting for Sat. to put the new roof on.
    Vix-Vinny seems to be feeling a little better. Both cats have been glued to us since we came home.
    Irene-hope you didn't have to work today.
    Just going to relax for the next few days and start gearing up for work next week.
    Have a great day and stay dry. :)
  • eku0
    Options
    Jo, good idea to rest and relax. Traveling can really take it out of you! Glad the kitties are doing better...they probably just really missed you.
    Roger, good for you for getting out there and walking even in the rain. Haha...I definitely would have to taste if they were in the house with all that yummy baking smell. :)
    I went to zumba class this morning, so not feeling quite as lazy. Still raining. Glad the hurricane is moving away, we're getting enough rain as is from afar.
    Happy Friday, everyone. :)
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Cold and rainy, have plenty to do inside to keep busy today.
    Happy Saturday!
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good morning;
    Cold and rainy here too.
    Still playing catch up on housework, laundry, mail and sorting pictures from our trip.
    Stay dry! :)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I walked to the Quick Chek for coffee then on to the Pathmark Supermarket for Bananas. I ended up with Bananas, 10 Greek Yogurt and some 60 calorie packs of fruit.

It was in the 40s, Cold and and no rain to a light rain. I put on the long 7 pocket hiker pants, a sweatshirt and to jacket from my lightweight Frogg Toggs to keep off the rain and as a windbreaker. The jacket works well for both BTW. To keep the Hood from hanging down and blocking my forward vision I also wore a SunShade so that the Visor would hold the front of the hood up and out of the way. Lightly insulated Leather Gloves and the Backpack for the food and I was good to go :) I saw only one couple walking in the rain.

I got the phone call at 9:03 this morning from NutriSystem. Usually that means my frozen shipped the night before. In my case being in the next state I usually see it the same day that they the call.

Have a Really Great Weekend
    Roger
    Good morning;
    Roger-all those goodies sound delicious. I love home baked goods. I am having a new bigger window put in the kitchen. They are shooting for Sat. to put the new roof on.
    Vix-Vinny seems to be feeling a little better. Both cats have been glued to us since we came home.
    Irene-hope you didn't have to work today.
    Just going to relax for the next few days and start gearing up for work next week.
    Have a great day and stay dry. :)

Hi Joanne
    When the house was bought many years ago the first owners had an addition on the back of it which put the window over the sink on a inside wall. The only other wall on outside wall is over the cooking surface and there are cabinets up there too which would limit the size of any window. That wall of the house has no windows on the Ground floor, Only a door to the side porch and driveway.

Cheers
    Roger
    Jo, good idea to rest and relax. Traveling can really take it out of you! Glad the kitties are doing better...they probably just really missed you.
    Roger, good for you for getting out there and walking even in the rain. Haha...I definitely would have to taste if they were in the house with all that yummy baking smell. :)
    I went to zumba class this morning, so not feeling quite as lazy. Still raining. Glad the hurricane is moving away, we're getting enough rain as is from afar.
    Happy Friday, everyone. :)
    Good morning.
    Cold and rainy, have plenty to do inside to keep busy today.
    Happy Saturday!

Hi Vix
    The last two days have been windy and rainy. Hard keeping the Rain jackets hood on when I end up walking into the wind too. Yup, I'm happy that the Hurricane seems to be shunning us too.

Cheers
    Roger
    Good morning;
    Cold and rainy here too.
    Still playing catch up on housework, laundry, mail and sorting pictures from our trip.
    Stay dry! :)

Hi Again
    Is the House staying dry inside with all the wind and rain? Hopefully it is.
    I do not understand the contractor expanding a house in the neighborhood. The New second floor has been up and playwooded and they keep working inside leaving the Playwood exposed. No House Wrap or siding, and the Siding is in the driveway waiting to be put on. I would have thought the closing the outside would have been done before the interior.

Cheers
    Roger
  • eku0
    Options
    Yah, that doesn't make any sense. Definitely should finish the outside first, especially with winter coming.
    Good day to stay inside today. Maybe I'll make some more soup later. :)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I Picked up some more black walnuts and 5 nice Juicy Apples on my walk today, They are drops and have a nice size and color and look pretty good too. As soon as they dry off from being washed into the refrigerator they go.

I picked up 17 cents on my walk today, Then I got a refill of the Extra Large 7 eleven coffee. That is $1.34 vs $2.13 for no refill. Deduct the 17Cents and my Coffee was $1.17 net cost. Add that to free Black Walnuts and Apples and a good mornings walk. FWIW I consider the Black Walnuts to be the Cadillac of Nuts, Up there with Macadamia nuts but free for the picking up.

Link on how to process them.
    From there: Store in-shell walnuts in freezer, packed in food saver bags or other air tight containers. In-shell nuts keep well for a year.
    And from here:
    The flavor of black walnut lends a gourmet touch to cookies, breads, cakes and other baked goods. The nutmeats are often expensive and difficult to locate; discovering an available crop of black walnuts is a real find.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Yah, that doesn't make any sense. Definitely should finish the outside first, especially with winter coming.
    Good day to stay inside today. Maybe I'll make some more soup later. :)

It did not make any sense to me either. I would not have been worried about winter as much as rain getting through the joints in the plywood and soaking the Insulation and maybe causing mold down the road or other damage.

Have a Nice Sunday
    Roger
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good morning;
    No rain and the sun is shining. The roofers started at 8 this morning.
    Roger-The contractor nailed a tarp over the exposed wood of the window, so nice and dry. Hopefully the window will be in this week. As soon as the siding is delivered he will start on the front of the house. We are having clapboard on the front and shingle look on the sides and back.
    Vix-I was thinking about making soup this week. I have some homemade chicken broth in the freezer, so I am thinking chicken soup.
    Back to work this week. It has been so nice to be off. I have never taken 2 weeks off before.I also have another vacation coming up in a few weeks. Hopefully the house will be done by then and I can do my fall cleaning.
    Have a great day and enjoy the sunshine. :)
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Glad you're getting the work done, Jo! I was lazy again yesterday, but I will definitely make some soup this week. I tend to like soup with lots of veggies in it. :)
    The rain stopped, but it's still windy and gray here, no sun peeking through at all. Hopefully I will get motivated and get started on the couch cushions!
    Roger, that looks like a lot of work for the black walnuts, but it sounds like they're very tasty and worth the effort.
    Happy Sunday, everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    good morning, busy weekend I actually made soup on friday it was really good.Back to work for me today. I was able to get some house work done yesterday. We also took Annie to our church they had the blessing of the pets it was really nice and she was really good.The rain has actuaaly stopped hope it stays away for awhile well on my way to work have a grat day
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    I walked past McDonalds for my morning coffee, Walk + 17 cents means that the Large coffee @ 1.07 with tax was a net cost of $.90. Later today I will be out again and may pick up a large Decaf.

Have a Great Monday
    Roger
    Good morning;
    No rain and the sun is shining. The roofers started at 8 this morning.
    Roger-The contractor nailed a tarp over the exposed wood of the window, so nice and dry. Hopefully the window will be in this week. As soon as the siding is delivered he will start on the front of the house. We are having clapboard on the front and shingle look on the sides and back.
    Vix-I was thinking about making soup this week. I have some homemade chicken broth in the freezer, so I am thinking chicken soup.
    Back to work this week. It has been so nice to be off. I have never taken 2 weeks off before.I also have another vacation coming up in a few weeks. Hopefully the house will be done by then and I can do my fall cleaning.
    Have a great day and enjoy the sunshine. :)

Hi Joanne
    Just being nosy (curious) what type of clapboards? Traditional Wood, Cement, or less traditional looking aluminum or vinyl. Any of the last three should need less maintenance.

Good to know the house stayed dry.

I think the last time I was off fro more than a week at a time from work was in the early 90s and as I was down south and the weather had turned really nasty up here and given that they did not need me back I extended my vacation.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Good morning.
    Glad you're getting the work done, Jo! I was lazy again yesterday, but I will definitely make some soup this week. I tend to like soup with lots of veggies in it. :)
    The rain stopped, but it's still windy and gray here, no sun peeking through at all. Hopefully I will get motivated and get started on the couch cushions!
    Roger, that looks like a lot of work for the black walnuts, but it sounds like they're very tasty and worth the effort.
    Happy Sunday, everyone. :)

Hi Vix
    It sounds as if You are suffering from the same problem as my brother and I are suffering from lately. Manana or lack of get up an get going on things :) or to put it another way, Motivation is lacking.

It takes a bit of work but then what the heck I have all day seven days a week free to do whatever.
    For example on Amazon
    Hammons Fancy Large Black Walnuts, 8-Ounce Bag, Buy new: $11.98 As if anyone would but them used?

Have a Nice day
    Roger
    good morning, busy weekend I actually made soup on friday it was really good.Back to work for me today. I was able to get some house work done yesterday. We also took Annie to our church they had the blessing of the pets it was really nice and she was really good.The rain has actually stopped hope it stays away for awhile well on my way to work have a great day

Hi Irene
    It was nippy out today and the wind was still gusting where I am. I hope Your weather was a better as You are further inland than I am.

Have a nice day at work
    Roger
  • eku0
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good morning.
    That's funny, Roger....used walnuts! It's really hard to get my motivation up lately. I'm usually not like this.
    Hi, Irene and Jo!
    The sun came out today! Yay! It's a beautiful day!!! :)
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good afternoon;
    Roger-we are going with vinyl siding, less maintenance.
    Vix-I hope the sun coming out today got you motivated.
    Vinny is still not up to par. He was sick last night and didn't want to eat this morning. His blood glucose level was 335. I called the vet and they said to bring him right in. He was a little dehydrated so they keep him for the day to give him iv fluids and monitor his blood glucose. The poor little guy, I wish he could talk and tell me what hurts.
    I knew something was wrong when he didn't want breakfast this morning. He never passes up food of any kind.
    Irene-The churches in our area also had pet blessing this weekend. Do a lot of people attend with their pets?
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good morning.
    That's funny, Roger....used walnuts! It's really hard to get my motivation up lately. I'm usually not like this.
    Hi, Irene and Jo!
    The sun came out today! Yay! It's a beautiful day!!! :)

Hi Vix
    I believe the loss of motivation is possibly tied to the weather we have been having.
    Had some sun today too, Right in my eyes when I sat in my recliner in the living room. That time of Year. I hate pulling the curtain, however we do what we have to do.

Have a Good Evening
    Roger
    Good afternoon;
    Roger-we are going with vinyl siding, less maintenance.
    Vix-I hope the sun coming out today got you motivated.
    Vinny is still not up to par. He was sick last night and didn't want to eat this morning. His blood glucose level was 335. I called the vet and they said to bring him right in. He was a little dehydrated so they keep him for the day to give him iv fluids and monitor his blood glucose. The poor little guy, I wish he could talk and tell me what hurts.
    I knew something was wrong when he didn't want breakfast this morning. He never passes up food of any kind.
    Irene-The churches in our area also had pet blessing this weekend. Do a lot of people attend with their pets?

Hi Joanne
    We have Vinyl too, Be sure to have them leave You some spares just in case any gets damaged. We have some spare siding and spare roofing shingles in our shed out back, just in case. The spare roofing came in handy with the last roof after a little storm damage. You could not even tell where the repair was.

Vinyl siding can get damaged. I have a couple of small holes to fix from a tree service. Most likely the Cement Clapboards can suffer that too.

Aluminum Siding, Dents and Who knows, if the price of aluminum scrap keeps going up................

Good Luck with Vinny
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    good morning, jo sorry vinny is not feeling good, we worry so much about our pets.there had to be at least 30 dogs and maybe 3 cats so it was a pretty good turn out some of the dogs weren't use to being around other dogs but annie was good of course she has been there a couple of times.today I am suppose to go to class and learn how to train other pickers this should be fun no extra money just something different to do well take care all
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning all.
    Irene, I used to enjoy training new people. Like you said, no extra money, but something different to do. :)
    Jo, sorry Vinny's having a rough time of it. I had to give my cat IV's at home for about a week. She had kidney problems and had stopped eating....but then we switched her to the special food which kept her going for a couple more years. It's really hard when a pet is not well.
    Roger, the gray weather doesn't help, but it's another sunny day! Yay! I have clay class today. :)
    Have a happy day. :)
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good morning,
    Irene-have fun in class. :)
    Today the front of the house is getting stripped and wrapped.
    Vinny is doing much better today. He is back on insulin 1/2 unit twice a day. Last night he was sent home with the iv catheter still in his front leg incase they had to give him fluids today. I spent the night on the living room floor, so I could monitor him because he kept trying to bite the tape and plastic tubing. His leg was wrapped with a special tape,called no chew. He still managed to chew part of it. I was at the vet this morning first thing to have it removed.
    I had hoped to be able to nap when we got home, but with the old siding being removed, I don't think I will be able to sleep.
    Hi Vix and Roger.
    It was cold enough this morning that my heat kicked on for a little while.
    Have a great day. :)