Slower Weight loss at 50?

Options

Replies

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,164 Member
    Options
    Hi all.
    I am having a better day than yesterday. And I like the cooler weather too. :) It's been overcast all day here and a little drizzle a while ago. Even though I like it cool, I still put on gloves and a scarf/hat if it's chilly out. My hands get really cold! I worked with server rooms before I retired so I always had a jacket at work, the rooms were kept cool even in the summer.
    Hope you got your bargains, Roger! :)
    Jo, it's funny....I like to sleep cooler too...hubby wears a sweater to bed!
    Have a good night everyone.
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    good morning, I wore a rain jacket this morning on our walk but it never rained but I know it is coming our walk was nice it actually was on the warm side , I found a penny so I am up a penny yea when I find a penny I think my angel is looking out for me.When I worked at target and we got our market order we were all very cold well gotta go take care
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Good morning;
    Beautiful sky this morning, all pink and blue.
    Irene, it is good that the rain held off for your walk.
    Vix-sometimes I think about sleeping in the spare room so I can open the window, but the bed is not as comfortable.
    Hi Roger.
    I am going to return the mailbox that I bought,hubby didn't like it and after looking at it awhile, I agree.
    I am also going to look for new curtains for the dining room and kitchen windows.
    Enjoy the day. :)
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Not walking today, I got going late and it is already wet outside, A Off day since my last one I was going to take did not happen should not hurt me one bit :) Crossed Fingers.

It is a Gloomy looking day outside too, I should be able to walk tomorrow as the worst of todays rain is later on into the overnight and it should be gone or going by Thursday morning. If not then I'll be out in the late morning to afternoon on Thursday.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good afternoon,
    The sun is shining and it is cool but comfortable. I haven't had to wear my coat yet to work.
    Roger-I work in the produce department and in the winter it gets very cold in our back room where we prep the fruit and veggies. Some days my feet get so cold that they ache. I have wool socks that I got at the army-navy store they help a little. I also wear 2 shirts and a down vest and if I get really cold I go and stand in the bakery near the oven for a little while.
    I close the heat vent in the bedroom in the winter. I like a cool room for sleeping. Hubby on the other hand
    has an extra blanket on during the winter.
    Vix-I hope you are feeling better today and glad the massage helped.
    Irene-I like the cooler weather also.
    Have a good evening. :)

• RogerToo
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi
    Not walking today, I got going late and it is already wet outside, A Off day since my last one I was going to take did not happen should not hurt me one bit :) Crossed Fingers.

It is a Gloomy looking day outside too, I should be able to walk tomorrow as the worst of today's rain is later on into the overnight and it should be gone or going by Thursday morning. If not then I'll be out in the late morning to afternoon on Thursday.

Update: Laundry is now started and looking to Vacuum once the Day puts more light in the Living Room

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Good afternoon,
    The sun is shining and it is cool but comfortable. I haven't had to wear my coat yet to work.
    Roger-I work in the produce department and in the winter it gets very cold in our back room where we prep the fruit and veggies. Some days my feet get so cold that they ache. I have wool socks that I got at the army-navy store they help a little. I also wear 2 shirts and a down vest and if I get really cold I go and stand in the bakery near the oven for a little while.
    I close the heat vent in the bedroom in the winter. I like a cool room for sleeping. Hubby on the other hand
    has an extra blanket on during the winter.
    Vix-I hope you are feeling better today and glad the massage helped.
    Irene-I like the cooler weather also.
    Have a good evening. :)

Hi Joanne
    What I used to do when the feet got to cold was go into the mens room and stick one foot at a time up at the outlet from the hot air hand dryer, That is the only use I ever had for them BTW. I gather they are breeding grounds for germs :) For really cold weather I went to the sporting good store and bought insulated boots that replace the shoes. When I broke down one winter in bitter cold they kept my feet comfortable until he service truck got me going again. They have what looks like rubber boots on the bottom for water proofing and Leather for the ankles and lace up. Lacrosse brand bought in the early 90s and I still have them in the closet, Buy quality and it lasts :)

What made it worse was a work requirement that we had to wear steel toe work boots or shoes. They did pay for one pair a year however. Once that metal in the toes got cold it took forever to get warm again too.

Strangely enough I like it cool in the bedroom so I can sleep under some sort of blanket and still be cool.

FWIW Cool Weather and rooms is supposed to be better for weight loss as cooler conditions forces the body to use more calories to stay warm.

Have a good day at work
    Roger
    eku0 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I am having a better day than yesterday. And I like the cooler weather too. :) It's been overcast all day here and a little drizzle a while ago. Even though I like it cool, I still put on gloves and a scarf/hat if it's chilly out. My hands get really cold! I worked with server rooms before I retired so I always had a jacket at work, the rooms were kept cool even in the summer.
    Hope you got your bargains, Roger! :)
    Jo, it's funny....I like to sleep cooler too...hubby wears a sweater to bed!
    Have a good night everyone.

Hi Vix
    I had misread the advert as was pointed out to me :)

I was able to exchange the 6 cans of Solid white tuna Oil Pack for Water pack cans for my brother and I bought some dried split peas for him to replace the bag he used making split pea soup with a Ham Hock this week as well as some water flavors that were on sale for me so not a wasted trip.

I am glad in one way that I am not the only one that feels the cold in my fingers, OTOH I'm sorry to hear others have the same problem. If I mention it my sympathetic (Not) Brother says go see the doctor. I hate going to the doctor, I need to be near death to go more than once a year.

It has rained somewhat and heavier rain looks to keep building throughout the day into the overnight, Oh well. I think We may both see it at the same time give or take a little.

Have a Good Day and stay dry
    Roger
    good morning, I wore a rain jacket this morning on our walk but it never rained but I know it is coming our walk was nice it actually was on the warm side , I found a penny so I am up a penny yea when I find a penny I think my angel is looking out for me.When I worked at target and we got our market order we were all very cold well gotta go take care

Hi Irene

You are up a penny on me. Yesterday I took a chance while I was out running around and picked up a spare Large McDs coffee and popped it into the refrigerator, I Nuked it this morning. I am trying a Water flavor I picked up by mistake a while back, Peach iced tea. I thought it was peach flavor and have been putting off trying it as I am not a fan of iced tea, however it is OK So I will use it up over time. That will teach me to read the labels more carefully :)

It was raining lightly when I got going this morning and the weatherman on News12 showed more coming so I stayed home today and as I look at the bedroom windows I see streaks of rain on them and on the front porch windows too.

Have a Good day working and a safe drive home
    Roger
    Good morning;
    Beautiful sky this morning, all pink and blue.
    Irene, it is good that the rain held off for your walk.
    Vix-sometimes I think about sleeping in the spare room so I can open the window, but the bed is not as comfortable.
    Hi Roger.
    I am going to return the mailbox that I bought,hubby didn't like it and after looking at it awhile, I agree.
    I am also going to look for new curtains for the dining room and kitchen windows.
    Enjoy the day. :)

Hi Joanne
    That is a reason I always keep all the packaging until the return window has passed. I made some people unhappy by refusing returns that were well past the return window or no packaging. One person wanted to return something a year later that they no longer needed and that they had cut the Box up for a rebate :) Another Folded all the pages of the manual and made notes in them. If I had taken it back I might have been able to sell it at 1/2 of what we paid for it, Maybe.

Here is Your excuse to drag Hubby out shopping so as to get the right mailbox and curtains :) Just curious is that a Home Depot/Lowes type of purchase?

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning all...rain, rain, rain here. Went to body flow class and have some errands to run later. Just relaxing at home for a little while.
    Enjoy your day. :)
  • Joanne3366
    Options

Here is Your excuse to drag Hubby out shopping so as to get the right mailbox and curtains :) Just curious is that a Home Depot/Lowes type of purchase?

Have a Good Day
    Roger[/quote]

Hi Roger-I went to our local Rocky's ace hardware store. They didn't have the mailbox I wanted, so I had to order it. They will call me when it is in. We try to buy local if we can.
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good morning;
    We had heavy rain most of the night and this morning. This was a good test for the roof. It didn't leak. :)
    Today is my late day 7-3. I just hope my replacement comes in on time. He is usually 15-20 min. late.
    Have a great day and stay dry. :)
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning, well went for our regular walk and it did rain but we had our rain jackets on did get wet but it is done and I won't feel gulity about going . Yesterday I started training people today I finish with this group glad I am not picking really tired today well hope I don't have to pull ot tomorrow well keep dry everyone
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Venus, Mars, and Jupiter are lining up in the sky this week, early morning before dawn in the eastern sky. I saw Venus and Jupiter this morning, no other stars or planets visible. There's still some cloud cover and it may be a little too light out to see Mars. I always like to see the events in the skies. :) I think it finally stopped raining here. There was some very heavy rain yesterday.
    Good luck with your class Irene...hope you get tomorrow off. :)
    Jo, glad they finished your roof and it's good. :) I tend to wear down by 3 p.m. I used to be in to work by 5:30 or 6:00, so if it wasn't busy I could leave by 2:30 or 3:00. Towards the end I was doing way too many 10-12 hour days!
    Roger, I think some people just tend to have cold hands and feet. :) It also helps to wear a hat, keeps the rest of your body warm. :)
    Painting class today, and maybe some house work or errand running. Having friends over for Halloween...there aren't any little kids left in their neighborhood, but there are plenty in mine. We enjoy seeing them (the friends and the tots!). :)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I got out and walked this morning, T-Shirt weather :)
    A shame today is not Halloween, The day is so nice with the rain out of the area.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Good morning all...rain, rain, rain here. Went to body flow class and have some errands to run later. Just relaxing at home for a little while.

Hi Vix
    Yup it was rainy here too. Now it is a beautiful day. I'll be going outside to Clean the outer shell off of more black walnuts so they can dry.

Cheers
    Roger

Have a Good Day
    Roger

Hi Roger-I went to our local Rocky's ace hardware store. They didn't have the mailbox I wanted, so I had to order it. They will call me when it is in. We try to buy local if we can.[/quote]
    Good morning;
    We had heavy rain most of the night and this morning. This was a good test for the roof. It didn't leak. :)
    Today is my late day 7-3. I just hope my replacement comes in on time. He is usually 15-20 min. late.
    Have a great day and stay dry. :)

Hi Joanne
    We always try and Buy local too, however sometimes It is impossible. We buy our appliances locally for example. Free delivery and Pickup too. The store has been there as long as I can remember. OTOH for my brothers mattress & Springs he had to go out to the Highway.

Good News roofwise :)
    Roger
    good morning, well went for our regular walk and it did rain but we had our rain jackets on did get wet but it is done and I won't feel gulity about going . Yesterday I started training people today I finish with this group glad I am not picking really tired today well hope I don't have to pull ot tomorrow well keep dry everyone

Hi Irene
    I was able to wait until it had stopped raining today, Out the door at 8AM, The Sun was getting warm on the home bound leg of the walk too :smile:

It sounds as if they Like You there if they pick You to do training.
    Roger
    Good morning.
    Venus, Mars, and Jupiter are lining up in the sky this week, early morning before dawn in the eastern sky. I saw Venus and Jupiter this morning, no other stars or planets visible. There's still some cloud cover and it may be a little too light out to see Mars. I always like to see the events in the skies. :) I think it finally stopped raining here. There was some very heavy rain yesterday.
    Good luck with your class Irene...hope you get tomorrow off. :)
    Jo, glad they finished your roof and it's good. :) I tend to wear down by 3 p.m. I used to be in to work by 5:30 or 6:00, so if it wasn't busy I could leave by 2:30 or 3:00. Towards the end I was doing way too many 10-12 hour days!
    Roger, I think some people just tend to have cold hands and feet. :) It also helps to wear a hat, keeps the rest of your body warm. :)
    Painting class today, and maybe some house work or errand running. Having friends over for Halloween...there aren't any little kids left in their neighborhood, but there are plenty in mine. We enjoy seeing them (the friends and the tots!). :)

Hi Again
    I run out of energy by 10PM, I suspect that it is tied into the walking :)

Hats and I never got along, even in the winter a hat makes the top of my sweat prolifically. That I why I wear Earmuffs.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Happy Friday! :)
  • RogerToo
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi
    I got out walking this morning at 7:40, temperature around 58 degrees when I started, Nice clear sky too. Warming up nicely into the high 50s. I believe I will do a shorter walk Tomorrow as I expect to be up and down for Trick or Treaters.

Have a Nice Friday
    Roger

Hi Vix
    It is indeed a beautiful day outside the window as I type this. I am thinking that I might go out and clean off the outer skins on the Black Walnuts again today, I did a bunch yesterday and they are now drying.

Cheers
    Roger
    5yheuI.jpg
  • eku0
    Options
    Those walnuts sound like a lot of work. I went to zumba class this morning, so did my happy dancing. :)
    Now I'm doing some dusting and will do some light cleaning....friends over tomorrow night, so need to just tidy up a bit. I think I'll leave the picking up a few things for later or tomorrow. Still need to pick up the Halloween treats...I left that for last minute, so they wouldn't be tempting me! :smiley:
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good afternoon;
    I have a full crew here today stripping the rest of the shingles off and cleaning up.
    Vix-I haven't bought any candy yet either. It is way to tempting.
    Roger-How long does it take to dry the walnuts?
    Irene-I hope you didn't have to work OT.
    This week work is not giving any OT so I will only have to work until 11:30 am. tomorrow. :)
    Hubby is going to work on my car this weekend. He is replacing a serpentine belt on the engine and putting on new brake pads. The dealer wanted about $600 to do the job. Hubby got the parts for less the $100.
  • eku0
    Options
    I did some cleaning, will do the floors and some more straightening tomorrow. I called a cleaning service . They're going to come on Wednesday and give me an estimate for monthly cleaning. I feel like I could use some help. :)
    Jo, sounds like your house is coming along. :) It's nice that your husband can fix your car.
    I just went out and picked up the candy, probably too much, but I can return it if we don't open the bags, so I will only open one bag at a time! Last year we had a ton of kids and I don't want to run out.
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning!
    happy_halloween.jpg
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good motning went for a short walk this morning it was light out when we started so we didn't go to far too much traffic when it gets light around here. Yesterday got my oil change for my jeep also had our gas fire place cleaned and found out we need to replace the gas spout and the loggs in the fire place we have been having problems with it so instead of dealing with it we are going to replace it considering it is gas we don't want to take any chances it looks like it's going to cost around 1500 oh well we do use the fireplace a lot sowell I will let you all know how that goes. I did enjoy training last week and so far I am training again next week. Have fun and happy holloween
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi
    I did a shorter than usual walk today, since I expect to be getting up and down and going to the door a lot with Trick or Treaters :)

17 degrees colder in nearby Somerville, Frost on everything and Cold outside.

During my walk today on four of the streets were trees that had been TP'd, One street with Broken Eggs and On Street that had empty Shaving Cream Aerosol cans laying on it. The Last evening before Halloween is called Mischief Night. Some Years I had to clean soap off of the car windows to drive to work. Luckily Our street was not touched the last few years.

Have a happy Halloween
    RogerToo
    kclhFN.jpg
    Those walnuts sound like a lot of work. I went to zumba class this morning, so did my happy dancing. :)
    Now I'm doing some dusting and will do some light cleaning....friends over tomorrow night, so need to just tidy up a bit. I think I'll leave the picking up a few things for later or tomorrow. Still need to pick up the Halloween treats...I left that for last minute, so they wouldn't be tempting me! :smiley:

Hi Vix
    The Black Walnuts take a bit of work, that is why they are more expensive than many other types of nuts. But oh so tasty.

House is now ready for halloween :)

Cheers
    Roger
    Good afternoon;
    I have a full crew here today stripping the rest of the shingles off and cleaning up.
    Vix-I haven't bought any candy yet either. It is way to tempting.
    Roger-How long does it take to dry the walnuts?
    Irene-I hope you didn't have to work OT.
    This week work is not giving any OT so I will only have to work until 11:30 am. tomorrow. :)
    Hubby is going to work on my car this weekend. He is replacing a serpentine belt on the engine and putting on new brake pads. The dealer wanted about $600 to do the job. Hubby got the parts for less the $100.

They have to dry in two stages. Once harvested, IE You pick them up as they drop and not off of the trees. Those need to sit until the outer skin turns black and then that gets removed. Then They are dry to the touch after being skinned and cleaned. But the recommendation is two weeks drying time.

I use them as healthy fats PF.

In many cases as long as You have the proper tools changing the serpentine belt is easy enough. I used to keep a wrench for that and a spare belt in the car for years.

Brake pads are more involved. You need tools, Jack stands for safety and have the drums or rotors resurfaced.

Good That You can save the money as a DIY project.

Have a Good Holiday
    Roger
    I did some cleaning, will do the floors and some more straightening tomorrow. I called a cleaning service . They're going to come on Wednesday and give me an estimate for monthly cleaning. I feel like I could use some help. :)
    Jo, sounds like your house is coming along. :) It's nice that your husband can fix your car.
    I just went out and picked up the candy, probably too much, but I can return it if we don't open the bags, so I will only open one bag at a time! Last year we had a ton of kids and I don't want to run out.

Hi Vix
    We hand out Money, 50 cent Eisenhower Coins instead of Candy or snacks. That way no left over candy to tempt us :)

Our Local News 12 news channel had a piece on something called the Teal Pumpkin Today.
    http://www.foodallergy.org/teal-pumpkin-project
    The Teal Pumpkin Project™

Launched as a national campaign by Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE) in 2014, the Teal Pumpkin Project™ raises awareness of food allergies and promotes inclusion of all trick-or-treaters throughout the Halloween season.

This nationwide movement offers an alternative for kids with food allergies, as well as other children for whom candy is not an option, and keeps Halloween a fun, positive experience for all!

Who Knew we were ahead of the curve on that for years :)

My only worry is that a a cleaning service has insurance and bonded workers. Even then I would not feel secure unless I were with them as they worked.

Cheers
    Roger
    good motning went for a short walk this morning it was light out when we started so we didn't go to far too much traffic when it gets light around here. Yesterday got my oil change for my jeep also had our gas fire place cleaned and found out we need to replace the gas spout and the loggs in the fire place we have been having problems with it so instead of dealing with it we are going to replace it considering it is gas we don't want to take any chances it looks like it's going to cost around 1500 oh well we do use the fireplace a lot sowell I will let you all know how that goes. I did enjoy training last week and so far I am training again next week. Have fun and happy holloween

Hi Irene
    I did a shorter walk just to conserve energy for handing out treats today.
    Cold outdoors too, 17 degrees colder than Yesterday :(
    I did stop at the Produce Store and pick up 6 bananas for tomorrow and the rest of the upcoming week. They were very green this time, I did find a couple of ripe ones so that will work for me.

I would not have expected the Works in a gas fireplace to wear out TBH, I am surprised by that.

Good Luck
    Roger
    Happy Halloween
    9w1FmR.jpg

• Joanne3366
    Options
    Good afternoon;
    I got out of work at11:30. :) Just got home from grocery shopping,put everything away, made muffins for hubby and am now relaxing a bit before I go out looking for new kitchen curtains.
    The dumpster is gone and we now have our driveway back. :)
    I bought 3 bags of candy today. Hubby made sure it was something he liked, in case of leftovers. ;)
    Roger-sometimes we get all green bananas at work and sometimes they are very yellow. We have no control over the quality they send us.
    Vix-I would love to have a cleaning service. The older I get it seems to take more time to do things and I can't move the furniture or climb like I used to. :( \
    Irene-good luck with the fireplace.
    Enjoy your evening and Happy Halloween! :)