Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,312 Member
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday! Another cool day, mostly cloudy, with slight chance of precipitation. So far nothing on the agenda today. Ate too much at the party last night, but brought NOTHING home, leaving it to the host to decide if he wanted to keep or toss the leftovers.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

• IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,161 Member
    good morning, we had a great weekend both Saturday and Sunday we went for nice long walks our weather here was really nice. Today it is suppose to get up to 60 I will take it. Today I am going to visit my friend in the hospital and I will give her holy communion she still is getting test done she has 6stitches from her fall take care everyone
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's magnificent Monday! Here comes the rain again, falling on my head like a memory. All day, apparently. Well, we had a few nice days and the forecast is calling for a few more nice days after today.

I need to do a little housework maybe.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,367 Member
    edited February 2020
    Good morning all.
    Nice that you're visiting your friend, Irene. It's supposed to go up to 59 here today too, though mostly cloudy.
    We're supposed to get rain tomorrow and Wednesday, Ed. Stay dry.
    I have an acupuncture appt early this afternoon, and I have a little bit of a cold, so I will mostly take it easy today. I started fixing up an old multipicture frame yesterday (cleaning and repainting it), so may work on that later.
    Wishing everyone a good week coming up. :)
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good afternoon;
    It is sunny and 60 here today.
    I had my last chiropractor visit today. I do not have to see him again unless I have any problems.
    I have been nursing a cold for the last week, just starting to feel better, but still coughing a little.
    Hope everyone is having a good day! :)
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, well today I go and get my taxes done . Vix and Jo hope your colds are doing better. Jo that's grate that your shoulder is doing better. Vix our weather seems to be about the same when we walked this morning it was 47.take care everyone
  • eku0
    Good morning all.
    Hope you're feeling better, Jo. So good thtat your pain is gone!
    Good luck with your taxes, Irene. Our weather does seem a lot the same. Raining here this a.m.
    Off to stained glass class and clay group this morning.
    Happy Tuesday, everyone. :)
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! Cloudy with 20% chance of rain today. I might get out to a grocery.

• IreneMurman
    good morning, well today is ash Wednesday I will be going to mass at 9 and then going to Deborah to give out ashes that's pretty much my planned day maybe an extra walk today. Vix what are you working on at class? take care everyone. no surprise with the taxes we owe again but at least they are done.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Good chance for pm showers, but otherwise a nice day. It will get a bit chilly overnight.

Last night was Mardi Gras. Supper was not the traditional, very late breakfast, with lots of sweets. No, it wasn't. It was great northern beans, cornbread, and roasted potato chunks with onions. J had the bulk of the potatoes, and I was, as usual, the only one eating the buttermilk cornbread. J doesn't, in general, care for cornbread. I did have some nice white wine with supper.

But...after that rather plain supper we did talk a little about Mardi Gras traditions, while watching a recorded television show, and I said that I should have made pancakes or cinnamon rolls. J asked if I had the ingredients to make cinnamon rolls, which kind of floored me, as those ingredients are all staples and OF COURSE I had them. I pretty much always have them, but don't need to be making cinnamon rolls, in general. J apparently had no clue how easy it actually is to make cinnamon rolls.

The only missing "ingredient" was time, as it was too late to allow for the rising required to make them properly. I know there are ways to hurry that along, but it still would have taken more time than I had before I wanted to go to bed.

However, lest you think that this would stop my inner Eduardo (the chef inside), from making a Mardi Gras treat, think again.

I used a cup of self rising flour, 1/8 stick of cold butter, and enough buttermilk to make a small, sticky blob of soft buttermilk biscuit dough.

Then I melted 1/2 stick of butter with some granulated sugar and ground cinnamon, to make almost a paste, but thin enough for my purposes. Small blobs of the biscuit dough were then dredged in the cinnamon mixture and dropped into the bottom of a glass loaf pan, and there were just enough of them to fill the bottom, with a few small gaps here and there between the blobs. The remaining mixture was spread evenly on top and this sticky mess was baked in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it looked and smelled done to me.

About a third of a cup confectioner's sugar and a very small amount of milk, along with a drop of vanilla extract, made a lovely, thick glaze to drizzle over the top of the confection, and we thoroughly enjoyed our Mardi Gras treat of Cinnamon Monkey Biscuits. Yes, I did make that name up. LOL.

Way too many carbs? Oh, yeah...but worth it to properly celebrate Mardi Gras and remind myself that I can still pull a trick or two out of my sleeve at the last minute? Absolutely!

And now that I havo probably made you hungry...have a great Wednesday! LOL!

• eku0
    Good morning all.
    Do you fast on Ash Wednesday, Irene? I guess there are special church services for repentance?
    Your Cinnamon Monkey Biscuits sound delicious, Ed...quite a sweet treat! Lucky you. Lovely way to celebrate Fat Tuesday!
    It's foggy here with a high of 53 expected and some rain this afternoon. I have some housework to do, laundry, etc. And I still have this silly cold.
    Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday. :)

• Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Hello,
    Glad you are all doing pretty well! Jo, hope your cold and cough are short lived. I have some downloaded material for Ash Weds. and we have a special service tonite. I hope to get there. I need to pick up some meds and I can go see the rivers while they are still high. I am having so much trouble with my arthritis and changeable weather. My nerve pinch in my left shoulder is at it again, so I can barely move it. My B/P for some reason is too low for me also at 112/60. I can barely get off the couch, so having to play with my 3 B/P meds. I skipped 2 of my morning ones and have some energy. I should have skipped the caffeinated coffee ( actually, half cafe, so a work in progress!) It is 140/76 and I feel better. Now just to achieve slightly under that daily.. :)

I miss going to the Catholic Church. I have wanted to go back. but it seems in such turmoil. Do you find that, Irene, where you are? I have tried to keep up with what is going on. Also, the people at my present church are great and helped me thru the divorce and my kids go there. They have become so close.

Wish I had celebrated more with Fat Tuesday, Ed !! I was being carb free that day!! :D
    Stay warm all!! :)

• IreneMurman
    good morning, Well vix I did fast yesterday and it went pretty good I did take an extra walk, I also did mass in the morning before we went to the hospital. Jan we go to a really small church and it is like a family as far as all the other stuff I try not to yet it get to me. Ed you are making me hungry . Jo hope you are feeling better take care everyone
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! A bit chilly out there but not quite frozen.

I woke up early after what felt like hours of dreaming about being at the courthouse over some silly tax thing regarding my 1984 taxes, after all these years! In the dream, they were after less than $20 in supposedly back owed taxes, that were actually (in the dream) due to the IRS "correcting" my tax return and accidentally refunding me a bit less than $20 too much money.

Now I know that if the IRS does such a thing, that the taxpayer still does owe the money back, but the circumstances in the dream just kept getting weirder. My in-laws were with me in the court, though they had nothing to do with my 1984 taxes since I wasn't married in 1984 and didn't even meet them until 1995. I guess they were there for moral support.

In the dream, there was some green colored paperwork attached to my originally filed tax form, provided by the IRS, but the green colored paperwork seemed to have something to do with someone else's taxes. Someone I had never heard of. Oddly, instead of pointing this out to the judge, I separated it and, during the lunch break, rolled it into a tube and casually laid it at the upper corner of the desk/table I was assigned, so I could pretend it had been left by the prior person. It seemed that there were several of these tables as they were investigating other people simultaneously, with several in the court room at once and the next case immediately being seated without even cleaning off the table of the prior case's trash.

At this point, in the dream, I noticed that the registered mail they had sent advising me of the summons had cost the government $35 and I was pondering the absurdity of how much they were spending, including paying all the people working on this, on the possibility that they MIGHT get $19 and change in back taxes/overpaid refund, since they weren't asking for any interest or penalty. People were filing back into the court room after the lunch break to continue the multiple deliberations.

Then Orion woke me up because his food bowl was empty. So I will never know the resolution of my case.

• parityanimal
    edited February 2020
    As February 27th is National Pancake Day, my inner chef, Eduardo, whipped up as small a batch of fluffy buttermilk pancakes as I know how to make, and J and I celebrated the day at lunch. I had a New York strip with my syrup-less stack that still tasted divine. I haven't had pancakes in a while and, fried in ghee, they were really quite nice even without syrup.

J had a couple of fried eggs, broken, over hard, and hash brown patties with a stack of pancakes that had butter and real maple syrup.

It was a nice lunch.

Beef stew is going in a slow cooker for my dinner. I am not 100% sure what I will be making for J but I will come up with something. For me, this chilly day is definitely a "stew" type of day.

• eku0
    Hi all.
    Hope you feel better, Jan. Your low blood pressure is close to my normal! Everybody's different...I think most people get arthritis as we get older. It helps me to try to stick to an anti-inflamatory diet. I can see that would be really hard in your situation.
    Congratulations on doing the fast, Irene. I haven't really studied the difference in religions. I pick up bits and pieces here and there. I just read a fiction novel that had a little bit about Budhism in it. It was very interesting. I think I may check into that a little more. Seems very tolerant and earth friendly.
    Ed...what a crazy dream. I guess you're worried about taxes. Haha...I can assure you, if you owed taxes back that far, there would be so much interest charged, probably thousands!
    I'm back from painting class. Trying to do a portrait. Faces are hard to paint!
    Rained like crazy overnight, sunny and cooler today.
    Happy Thursday, everyone.
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Ed, you SURE you didn't have something else to eat before bed, lol... :D
    Worked in the yard. It is really pretty in the sun. Still freezing at nite! So nice to be outdoors!!
    Take care all!! <3
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, yea it's Friday no big plans just food shopping . Annie some how hurt her paw last night so her and I had a ruff night it seems to be better now ,this getting old stuff is hard, It is really cold here because of the wind there was snow flurries on our walk this morning. Vix I have signed up for a night to paint I guess you would call it a paint party looking forward to it. Ed crazy dream we all have them but yours was funny take care everyone
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's fabulous Friday! The temperatures should be about the same as yesterday, on the cool side. I need to get out for canned cat food and maybe run by the endocrinologist to let them have a few drops of blood.

vjicxqjjk784.gif

• eku0
    Good morning all.
    Jan, nice that you're getting some sunny warm days.
    Irene, hope Annie's doing better. We have snow flurries here this morning too.
    Ed, thanks for keeping the humor coming. Mind like the internet funny!
    Just some cleaning, and working on some projects for me today. Will see what else the day brings. I've been looking at some you tube painting info this morning.
    Happy Friday, everyone. :)