Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,312 Member
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful wet Wednesday! Cool and rainy today, apparently all day. Other than taking J to the dental surgeon and back, nothing on my agenda if I can help it.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,367 Member
    Good morning all.
    Irene, is she sure it's not the new virus? We had a storm here last night too. Wasn't stormy during the day.
    Jan, guess you have to put on your high water gear! Stay safe.
    Ed, best wishes to J. You're going to need that soft food. And they'll probably give a prescription for the pain.
    I've got an appt with my hairdresser today. Need some touch up and maybe a trim.
    Have a good day, everyone. :)
  • parityanimal
    edited March 2020
    We got back from the doctor a little bit after 10:00 this morning, after a quick stop at Walgreen's.

They said the surgery went really well, and id didn't take long at all.

J was still quite loopy from the anesthetic and kept repeating the same questions, forgetting, and then repeating them again. After getting J settled in bed to sleep it off, I slipped back out to Walgreen's to get the extra prescription filled, and since then I have been working on nearly the last bit of the photo scanning, though there are still a couple of photo albums I can't seem to find. I have done everything BUT those albums so next I guess I need to start looking back into the remaining crates of stuff that we already went through once. I may have put them into one for later perusal.

I have been checking on J periodically, and trying to stay where I can hear the doorbell, as J is expecting a FedEx package that requires an adult signature. No sign of them so far!

I guess J will have to nap for me today. LOL.
  • parityanimal
    J finally felt recovered enough to eat something. Lilo watched avidly! LOL! I had already eaten my dinner.

For J I made mashed potatoes. Well...technically mashed potato, singular, as it was a single, large Russet baker that I peeled, cut up, cooked and mashed with half a stick of butter and plenty of heavy cream. I wanted to make it fairly substantial as it may be all that J eats tonight. I licked the spoon I used to whip the potato...

• IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,161 Member
    good morning, Vix my friend does have the new flu but it is a low grade the Dr let her come home she seems to be better , I. haven't seen her just keeping in touch by texting . Now when I went to the hospital there was some rooms that were closed because there was people who had the flu but I believe it was just the regular flu but of course I didn't go in all the people I visit yesterday had heart or lung problems . Ed sounds like j is doing pretty good . Our weather here has been pretty good in the mornings when we walk its been in the 40s which is nice. Jan I hope all those storms just pass you by . Jo are you still going to the gym? take care everyone
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! It's supposed to rain all day, but despite that I am going to get out for eggs as J ate the last 4, soft scrambled, last night. I guess the mashed potato acted as a trigger or maybe the taste buds were finally fully waking up.

Instant chocolate pudding was dessert, and then later a small bowl of bran flakes, soaked in the milk until they were mush. J had not eaten anything prior to the surgery, of course, and it took until quite late in the evening for all of the super-novocaine to wear off. J's 5 hour nap after getting home seemed to eliminate the last of the IV anasthetic nicely.

For me, it was a long feeling, nap-less day, and I went to bed early after an early morning, having roused at around 5 in the mostly dark. At least that did give me time to have breakfast and my usual pot of tea before heading out to the surgeon with my 20 ounce bottle of Powerade Zero, to sip on while waiting.

Today I will brave the rain at least to get more eggs, probably 2 dozen, from the nearby Publix, though if it is light enough rain around 10:00, when the forecast has it at its lightest, I may go all the way to Kroger as there are a couple of things I need from there, though nothing critical. That many eggs should last us through the few "soft food" days I think, as a main protein source.

It's predicted to stop raining about 7:00 this evening but I think we will want eggs before that. I was thinking of some chili flavor vegan instant ramen noodles, with scrambled egg stirred in for protein as J is vegetarian, not vegan, for lunch. Well, at least for J. I like those noodles but don't think I want that many carbs in my lunch so I will have something else.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    Hi all.
    Ed, you are taking good care of J. Nice.
    Irene, nice of you to visit, and I'm sure you're being careful controlling your contact with contageous people. The weather is nice here too. In the 50s and sunny. :) I think it may be supposed to rain tomorrow.
    Back from my painting class. May stop by to see my grandson later. Poor little guy has an ear infection.
    Anyway, enjoy the sunshine if you can, and have a good day!
  • parityanimal
    I ended up being out a lot longer than I had expected as I had forgotten completely about my appointment with the lab to have some blood work drawn. Fortunately my phone reminded me just after I left, so I went there first, and then to Kroger, where I spent way too much time looking at food. LOL.

But I did get some good deals in the "used meat" section (what I call the manager's special markdown bin) so I have a nice ribeye steak for my dinner tonight, an eye of round roast, now in the freezer, and some more "beef for stew" that is now in the freezer. It doesn't always get made into stew. I may make some boeuf bourguignon with one package of that, as I haven't made that in a while. But I need to buy some thick cut or uncut slab bacon if I want to do that right. Or I could just make a lighter version without the bacon that would probably be healthier for me to eat anyway. And of course there is always the option of making beef Stroganoff with some of the stew meat. My inner chef, Eduardo, is already just about to bust with tasty ideas!

Anyway, I did make the noodles for J and pulled a small frozen meal out for me. Maybe I can actually get a short nap in this afternoon.

Have a great afternoon!

• eku0
    Good morning all.
    Eduardo sounds quite the chef! :grin:
    May head out to Wegman's today, they have some things our local grocery does not. Also need to fill some balloons with helium for grandson's party tomorrow.
    The weather is cloudy and cool, may rain, high of 50 expected today.
    Happy Friday, everyone. :)
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Hi!!
    Sunshine, I have died and gone to heaven!! :)
    Vix, Hope your grandson can really enjoy his party! What a time to come down with an earache!! Ed, you sure have it under control!! Sounds like J is getting excellent care!! Irene, nice you visit and do not let the virus madness get out of hand. Mostly due diligence will be good. I doubt if this will be the last global health crisis we will have. We are just so interconnected nowadays! My son and daughter are supposed to go to Italy in June.. Have to wait and see..
    Jo, hope you are doing okay!!
    Have a great weekend everyone!! <3
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's fantastic Friday! The sun is out, but it's rather chilly. I have been up for hours but was distracted by scanning in some more old photographs I found last night.

J suggested mashed potatoes for dinner again last night, as the noodle lunch had maybe a touch more bite than wanted, so mashed potatoes it was for dinner, with the remainder of the chocolate pudding for dessert.

For lunch today I made J a large refried bean burrito, without the tortilla. That should be soft enough, I think.

gxpx6smbz8et.png
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday! Cold out there now, but it should warm up nicely later. I have alread been to Kroger but forgot to get more corn flakes. I may have to go out again for that. J's dinner last night was soft scrambled eggs with cheese, and later some soggy corn flakes that finished the box. So of course I knew I would remember to buy those without putting it on the list, right? LOL. I bought what WAS on the list, along with a few other things, and realized I had forgotten the corn flakes when I got home. Oh well. It is a nice day so maybe we will be out and about anyway.

• IreneMurman
    good morning,we had an extra long walk this morning a little over an hour it wasn't too cold it was in the 30s. I did get on the treadmill .take care everyone oh vix have fun at your grandsons party
  • eku0
    Hi all.
    Grandson's party was fun....lots of people, lots of little kids, lots of dinosaur decorations. Will doesn't like cake! And he was pretty exhausted after a couple of hours. He will probably get a great nap.
    Hey Jan and Irene. Ed, the beans look yummy.
    Happy Saturday, everyone. I have to go water my plants...forgot to do that this morning.
    Have a great day. :)
  • parityanimal
    I made it back out to Kroger, and got the corn flakes, along with a few other things that came up in a perusal of the larder.

J was having mashed potatoes for lunch when I left.

Edweirdo...er, I mean Eduardo, has some nice smelling Stroganoff going in a slow cooker. I'll either make same red lentil pasta separately, or mix it in for the last 20 minutes or so, depending on how soupy it seems to be at that point. In the end, the pasta will be mixed in with the meat and sauce regardless. And, of course, the sour cream (except I use whole fat Greek yogurt in lieu of that) will be stirred in at the last minute.

n3ii5l99454w.png
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday! It should be another warm one, with no chance of precipitation. I woke up obscenely early but got on up. I need to finish setting all the clocks that don't set themselves. Thank goodness the smart phones and computers take care of it automatically, as does my fitbit.

Not a lot else an the agenda today. A bit of housecleaning that I got started yesterday can be continued today I guess.

Last night I made a somewhat more solid omelet for J with white American cheese, topped with hot salsa. I saw that some kind of cereal was eaten after I went to bed, and a single serve bucket of chocolate pudding. Today we can start trying to migrate toward more solid food.

My Stroganoff came out delicious. I have leftovers, of course.

• eku0
    Good morning all.
    Stroganoff, yum. Ed, did you take up cooking after retirement, or have you always liked to cook?
    I totally forgot about daylight savings...no where special to go, so don't care what time it is today. May get to Wegman's, didn't do that the other day, need to do some things around the house.
    Happy Sunday, everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    good Sunday morning, vix it sounds like your grandson had fun so hard to believe it is a year already. Hi Ed ,JO and Jan
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good morning;
    Vix-I hope Will gets over his ear infection quickly.
    Ed-You are taking such good care of J, what a guy! :)
    Jan-That weekend retreat sounds great, peace and quiet.
    Irene-I got a request from you for a Fitbit challenge. I am no longer using Fitbit. I have an apple watch that I use now. I have not been going to the gym. I have lost my motivation. :(
    We had snow on Sat. The streets were clear, but the parking lot at work was a sheet of ice.
    I still have snow on my lawn.
    Today is washing the kitchen and breezeway floors and general house cleaning.
    Have a great day! :)
  • parityanimal
    eku0 wrote: »

Stroganoff, yum. Ed, did you take up cooking after retirement, or have you always liked to cook?

I asked, and was allowed to start cooking at the age of 10, and have a good 50 years of eperience. And I will never stop learning. :)