Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,312 Member
    Howdy all y'all. It's sensational Sunday! Cooler today, with a good chance of rain this afternoon and evening. Not sure what I will do today. Possibly actually get around to some more housework that I keep putting off...

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,367 Member
    Good morning all.
    Ed, well...you have a good couple of months worth of wine!
    Jo, I agree with you that rest is important. It's good that they are giving you a little extra money and will cover your salary if you do get sick (but be very careful, so you don't!) I think people will hit a limit as to how much they can hoard. It's kind of crazy. We don't eat many canned foods, so we stocked up with about 2 weeks of fruit, veggies and protein (and some snacks), and will go out again when it starts getting low. If everyone minimizes the number of trips they make, that will probably help. (I know it's helping the environment!)
    Jan, hope your friend stays safe and healthy. It's a risky time for health workers.
    Irene, hope you and yours are ok.
    Val, hope you're feeling better.
    Sunny and in the 30s this morning, with a high of 50 today. Will see what the day brings...if it feels warm enough, may go for a walk outside. My eliptical has been getting a lot of use.
    NY Times had a map of how fast this has spread in the US, if you're interested. scary, you don't have to look.
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/21/us/coronavirus-us-cases-spread.html?te=1&nl=morning-briefing&emc=edit_nn_20200322&campaign_id=9&instance_id=16976&segment_id=22540&user_id=0f8bb98110586bf38cd9341b8c21879d&regi_id=10280777020200322

Have a good day, stay healthy. :smile:
  • parityanimal
    edited March 2020
    Well I got out of the house far a bit today. Didn't venture far though, just around the yard a bit.

My St. Francis has a small purple friend behind him. And before you tell me to get rid of that Vinca, it is variegated and not as aggressive as the regular one. We like it a lot better than the English ivy we want to kill.

rx3t47vym6ru.png

Loropetalum.

rbi5aup8qdu8.png

One of our azaleas, that I seriously need to trim back.

pkonhko6xrln.png

Another of our azaleas, with some Carolina Jasmine cohabiting.

jj8zd8y9rxx3.png

Wood hyacinths.

dfpr6mcgw9mh.png

The latest daffodils.

30olcm196ypq.png

The neighbor's weeping cherry.

d85p4z3afa9o.png

• eku0
    Nice flowers, Ed. Our daffodils are blooming too, and the weeping cherry, and ornamental pears. :smile:
  • parityanimal
    Sunday supper started with a HUGE salad each, with home made thousand islands type dressing. The last two large bell peppers were starting to get a bit wrinkly se each of us got pretty much a whole bell bepper, cut up, in our bowls, and tho last two tomatoes had reached that point where another day or two would make them over ripe, so we each got a whole tomato, cut up of course, in our salads. With the last bag of farm style salad mix, we each ended up with almost enough salad to be a meal, but there wasn't anything substantial in it, only salad veggies that wouldn't provide any protein to speak of.

So....after the salad, Edweirdo...I mean Eduardo got into the act with an odd take on huevos rancheros, with a refried bean and cheese mixture on the bottom, surrounded by a ring of Frito scoop style (Kroger brand) chips, on edge, and then topped with two fried eggs and hot salsa.

J promptly got a piece of chip in an uncomfortable place but after a minute proceeded to eat the rest a bit more carefully. I had put the chips around the rim so that control of where they went, when being eaten, could be easier but I guess accidents can still happen. At any rate, we both enoyed the supper.

Unfortunately it also used the last fresh veggies in the house, aside from potatoes and onions. I may have to venture out early in the morning to see what I can find in that regard.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday! It's supposed to rain all day and, pretty much, all day tomorrow too. I may try to slip over to Publix anyway, just to get eggs (if they have any) and fresh veggies. OR...I may look into seeing if I can come up with enough grocery items to justify requesting delivery. More likely I'd just pop over there. It's not as if it's very far to go.

I have given Lilo her Monday morning subdermal fluid treatment and treats and she has escaped into one of her favorite hidey holes. I don't think she even sulks any more after these treatments. Maybe she realizes that they do make her feel better.

Well, my tea mug needs re-filling, and, Publix or not, I need to set out some beans and tomato sauce to remind myself to start some chili in slow cookers a bit later this morning.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    Good morning all.
    Rain and a high of 46 today. Not a good day for a walk. I think I'm going to take a nice soak in the tub instead of my usual acupuncture visit.
    Ed, sounds like you are keeping busy with your cooking! That's good.
    Will see what I feel like doing after my soak.
    Have a good day, everyone. :)
  • parityanimal
    Well my meager haul at Publix came to just under $30, but as I had set my limit at no more thon $40 that was fine.

I got some canned tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes to replace what I have used in the last week or two, and today for the chili. 5 pounds of Russet potatoes, one carton of eggs, which they were limiting to one per customer anyway, two bags of garden veggie salad mix, which they were limiting to two per customer, a jar of olive oil mayonnaise, a package of paper napkins (low stock at the store, but at least they had some), and some fully cooked pork sausage patties to go with my breakfasts. I didn't really see any fresh veggies that appealed to me.

None of the limits bothered me at all as I had only intended to buy one carton of eggs, and two bags of salad mix. I would have bought a half gallon of milt (limited to one carton of milk per customer) but they didn't have the kind I wanted. We aren't critically low on milk so that doesn't really matter. I would have liket to replace the one that was recently finished, but as we generally keep two unopened, and one open "working" carton on hand anyway, not a big deal.

Fortunately I tend to keep us fairly well stocked up on most items and Eduardo can make a meal out of a fairly empty cupboard, as long as the staple items are kept up.

And yes, I got rained on.

• parityanimal
    edited March 2020
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! It's going to be another somewhat warm, rainy day. Thunderstorms, in fact! Maybe our April showers are coming early. I don't have to go anywhere today, as far as I know.

Ingles has added a "please let seniors and immunosuppressed people shop" hour now on opening for Tuesday and Wednesday. I did think of heading to Ingles to see about produce, as the rain isn't supposed to start until sometime between 9 and 10, but I think I would rather sit here and drink hot tea. LOL. I wonder if Ingles delivers. Hmmmmm.

Yesterday's chili turned out very nicely. All of J's vegetarian batch got turned into chili mac and about half of my carnivorous batch did. Well, I say chili mac, but it was really chili rotini, using high protein rotini made entirely from chickpea flour. Mixed in with the chili, topped with shredded cheese, and baked, I wouldn't have known it wasn't regular rotini if I had not made the dish myself. I am pretty sure I could have served that to anyone and they wouldn't have known. That Barilla chickpea rotini gets a thumbs up from me. I do cook it a little longer than suggested, as J prefers pasta a little bit more done than al dente.

We have a generous serving of each version of chili mac left over for one meal each, today. And there is enough more carnivorous chile for two or three bowls for me. Breakfast, for me, was steel cut oats with blueberries and cream, along with some sausage patties and some string cheese.

I have given Lilo her Tuesday shot and treats. Now I need more tea.

• eku0
    Good morning all.
    Hey Ed, sounds like you're cooking up a storm. I baked some banana muffins the other day, and I think I'll make some butternut squash soup today.
    We went out to get some frozen veggies, but there weren't any, so we picked up a few other things instead, not to waste the trip out.
    The cherry trees are already losing their petals (the road to our development is lined with them, it's beautiful when they're blooming.)
    Hope everyone is doing ok...Pop in when you get a chance ladies, let us know you're ok!
    Wishing everyone a good day. 🌺🌻🌼🌷🌹
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! Warm today with no chance of rain, for a change. I might take a walk today.

Amazingly, the cats let me sleep in until 7:30. Breakfast was my steel cut oats with blueberries and cream, sausage, and scrambled eggs with cheddar.

Lilo gets a fluid treatment this afternoon.

• eku0
    edited March 2020
    Good morning.
    It rained overnight here. And still raining. High of 46 expected today.
    I had an apple with blueberries and cinnamon warmed up in the microwave for breakfast. Pretty much my usual. I made butternut squash soup yesterday, and we had that with grilled salmon for dinner.
    I am getting a little worried about the other ladies.
    Jan, I hope you weren't affected by the tornado, and that you are staying healthy.
    Irene, hope you are staying healthy. I didn't mean to offend you, so I hope you didn't take that wrong. I read a lot, and was upset about how things are going.
    Jo, I hope you are staying healthy. I don't envy you having to go to work at this time of social distancing. I noticed it was hard keeping the distance from people even for a quick shopping trip to the grocery store.
    Val, I hope you are feeling ok.
    I hope everyone has a good day. 🌈🌞🎈

• Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Hello!!
    I am fine. I finally got my medicine from the base. Easy easy and very well organized. our numbers are jumping, we are up to 248 I think with many tests pending. I am just inundated with social pposts from friends and church. hard to catch up.
    Irene was fine. She has a new system and I could not tell her how to find the link here. My computer does it automatically, and I am not very techy at all! Maybe someone can help her??
    I am so lazy and not getting much done. I need motivation!!
    Glad you both are doing well. Ed, the flowers were beautiful. Jo, You are so vital to everyone in your job!! :) Val seems to be on fire with her weight loss. And Irene, I hope you can get on here!!
    Take care all, and be safe!! <3
  • eku0
    Thanks, Jan. I'm glad you all are ok! I sent Irene an email with the url for this page. Hopefully that will work to get her back here. :)
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrillilg Thursday! It should be pretty warm today, with a small chance of rain. I woke up feeling old, if that is a thing. LOL. The headache didn't help, but I took some ibuprofen and finished off my chili for breakfast. Nothing critical on the agenda today. I might take a walk. A lot of people walked in my neighborhood yesterday. I didn't, but every time I was outside I saw people walking. I even had a conversation with one neighbor, though we stayed on different sides of the street.

• eku0
    Good morning all.
    Ed, warmer here today too, and cloudy, not raining like yesterday. Probably will be a good day to get out for a walk.
    Have a good day, everyone. :)
  • parityanimal
    edited March 2020
    Well, I DID get out for a walk, to kickstart my metabolism. I walked about a mile to Aldi, bought a few things that were guaranteed to get heavier on the way home, and walked home. It was the least busy I have EVER seen Aldi.

I got the carrots I have been wanting, two pounds, a half gallon of milk, about two pounds, some broccoli crowns, one pound. Those were the relatively heavy items, totaling about five pounds. Then there was frozen chopped spinach (did you know that March 26th is National Spinach Day?), ten ounces, croutons, five ounces, sliced pepperoni, six ounces, and bacon pieces, two and a half ounces. Total weight, including the lightweight plastic carrying bag, approximately seven and a half pounds.

But I am here to tell you that after carrying that seven and a half pounds for a mile, it weighed at least 25 pounds. LOL.

I guess I should start thinking about putting lunch together.

• Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good afternoon;
    The store has finally slowed down, next we are back to our regular schedules, no overtime.
    Ed-beautiful flowers. Our trees are just starting to bud, but I haven't seen any flowers yet.
    Jan-I am glad you were able to get your medicine.
    Vix-Your dinner sounds delicious. I love butternut squash.
    Irene-I hope you are able to get on the site, we miss you.
    Val-great job on the weight loss.
    Have a good evening and stay safe! :)

• parityanimal
    Dinner tonight was NO DOUGH pizza. Very tasty. We did have to eat it with forks. The crust is made from cheeses and eggs.

A crust, after pre-baking, but before toppings.

vrswwanquovs.png

My pepperoni pizza, after baking.

ckyd7435z1hs.png

J's cheese pizza, after baking.

4545ajm0fwd7.png

The recipe I found online:

NO DOUGH PIZZA

Gluten Free, Low Carb, Diabetic Friendly

For when you absolutely want pizza but not all the carbs

Crust

1 (8 oz) package of full fat cream cheese, room temperature
    2 eggs
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Topping
    1/2 cup pizza sauce
    1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    toppings - pepperoni, ham, sausage, mushrooms, peppers
    Garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350.

Lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.

With a handheld mixer, mix cream cheese, eggs, pepper, garlic powder and parmesan cheese until combined.
    Spread into baking dish. Bake for 12-15 minutes, our until golden brown.

Allow crust to cool for 10 minutes.

Spread pizza sauce on crust.

Top with cheese and toppings.
    Sprinkle pizza with garlic powder.

Bake 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.

I did have to adjust baking times, as things didn't cook in the short times given in the recipe.
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's fabulous Friday! It is supposed to get hot today, with no chance of rain. I finished off last night's pizza for breakfast. It was good cold, about like any other good pizza in taste and cold texture. This recipe is definitely a keeper.

Nothing on the agenda. Maybe a walk later in the morning, before it gets too hot. But not into Aldi this time, maybe JUST a walk!