Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,318 Member
    I think I had Sunday dinner on Saturday! Roast beef, roasted (skin on) potatoes and carrots, and steamed, buttered green peas.

6zk1b5kvtn7o.png
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good morning;
    I woke up to snow yesterday morning, enough that I had to get out the snow brush to clear off my car. Around 8am it started raining and washed most of the snow away. At 5:30 the sun came out. We still have a little snow on the lawn and deck. It should be done by the end of today with the temps going up to 60.
    Ed-your dinner looks so good.
    Vix-I agree with you. I think it will be awhile before we will be able to go without masks.
    We have to wear one at all times at work. I also wear one if I go to the pharmacy or do grocery shopping.
    Jan-My co-worker is back to work. He only had a very mild case. I think his wife got it first, she is a NICU nurse. I am glad Val is doing well.
    Irene-glad you and George are doing well.
    Today I am full of energy. Got up and did 2 loads of laundry, washed the kitchen floor, made a batch of sugar cookies, had my coffee all before 7am. I am sure I will need a nap later in the day.
    Stay safe and have a great day! :)
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday! It looks like there will be no walk today, as it's supposed to be rainy most of the day. If I had been up earlier and gone immediately, I may have been quick enough to beat the rain, but that doesn't look likely now, and I would rather not get soaked.

Since I am NOT going, the rain will probably hold off until lunchtime, just so it can laugh at me. But if I DO go, it will be lurking, waiting until there is no way I can avoid getting soaked, so I will try to figure out some way of exercising a bit here at home, indoors.

My prescriptions were ready early so I went to Publix on Friday and managed to pick up the most essential grocery items while there. I was appalled at the number of customers AND employees not wearing masks. Nearly everyone was ignoring the ONE WAY markers in the aisles as well and just wandering as normal. I was doing my best to follow the arrows, which meant I had to go the long way around for some items, and I was wearing one of our precious N95 masks.

I got what I could, and got out. I forgot onions, and didn't want to navigate the maze to get back to them, but can manage a few more days without. There is still one onion in there, and I have instant minced, and onion powder as well. I did get milk and eggs, some snack chips for J (yes, I DO consider those essential - I gotta live with J!), cereal, salsa, cinnaman, iodized salt, and canned beans and corn. Paper products are still being hoarded, apparently, as people rush out to spend their incentive check and invest in toilet paper, paper towels and napkins. So I didn't get any napkins, but I can go a bit longer on what we have.

I can wait until we get critically low on some things before I have to venture into the grocery jungle again. I have enough to keep up with some kind of reasonable variety in meals so J won't get bored with the same (or similar) thing too often. Last night, and today's lunch, for J, spicy egg and veggie fried rice is the menu.

I might wash a bit of laundry today.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,369 Member
    Good morning all.
    Jo, hopefully that's your last snow for this season! Our governor made masks mandatory for going to stores and on public transportation, effective yesterday morning. I'm glad. I think a lot of people don't understand how infectious this is, and that we have to protect ourselves and each other. The numbers are still going up in MD, though I think our governor is handling it well and has a plan. Glad your co-worker is better, and that you're staying healthy and apparently full of energy! :)
    Ed, good to know Eduardo is doing his thing and you and J are eating well. ;) I've pulled out some old cloth napkins I rarely used and am now using those on a regular basis....easy enough to throw them in the wash and I don't bother ironing them.
    It's mostly sunny here today with a high expected of 62, so a little nicer out than it has been.
    Irene, Jan, Val, hope you are all doing well.
    Have a good day, everyone.
  • parityanimal
    Tonight's jalapeño frittata.

e1yj7ruruusx.png
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday! It looks like it will be warm with rain this morning, and my sinuses and joints seem to be trying to agree. It should stop early enough for me to get in a nice walk in the fresh, rain washed air though, so I anticipate enjoying that.

After two meals of roast beef and all the veggies, and one hot, open faced roast beef sandwich, on whole grain, high fiber, low carb toast, and then a break from roast beef at supper last night, sharing the frittata with J, I turned the rest of the roast beef, veggies, and gravy into a lovely beef stew, and had a bowl of that for breakfast. There are at least two more bowls of stew left, so I would say I will have managed to make enough meals off of that one roast.

It did use the last of the carrots, so when I do get back to the store I need to spend some time in the produce section. I am about out of fresh vegetables. I do have one bag of salad mix left that will probably be a major part of today's lunch.

Nothing critical on the agenda.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    Good morning all.
    I've been craving peanut butter and jelly, so this morning I took a piece of gluten free toast, and a thin layer of peanut butter topped by a thin layer of jelly, and savored every bite! Yum.
    Another cloudy day here, high of 62 expected.
    You did good with the roast, Ed...enjoy your walk. The air is nice after the rain. :)
    Have a good day, everyone. :)
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    edited April 2020
    hello!!
    Slow start here. I had 9 inches of rain from the storms that went thru yesterday. I was very happy we had only some thunderstorms here. Lots of lightning. Damage to our north in the morning which missed me by a county or two. As the storms started to clear here South Al. got pounded. The rescue I had got May May from lost power, so no water. All the animals are fine but the road is impassable due to trees and power lines down. Many of the fosters had damages, but no lives were lost, 2 or 4 legged. There was one death in very S. Al. in a mobile home. The storms had intensified leaving central Al. Sunny today and drying out.
    I have been shopping at a little Piggly Wiggly all this time. Stopped at my Winn Dixie as they usually carry May's food. Of course they were out. About 1/3 wearing masks of customers and no one wearing masks/ gloves of any employees. Just amazed. Nothing marked, no shields. One lady stopped next to me and said Hi in my face as I waited for someone to move. She bumped me, smiled, and got in front of me.( Had my n95 mask)... Clueless.... Most of us did avoid each other though..till the checkout person and bagger next to me. They both just a gabbing away! In now for a bit, unless I get a hankering from a fast food or Piggly Wiggly, lol...
    Ed, food looks great!! Vix, I love P&J!! I could taste your sandwich from here! Irene, I know you must miss getting out to share communions...Jo, glad, too, your coworker is better and they have you protected!
    Take care all!! <3
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good morning;
    I went to Walmart yesterday to get a new nose piece for my glasses. They wouldn't let you in the door unless you had a face mask on.
    I have been out walking everyday for the past week. It feels so good to be outside breathing fresh air after wearing a mask all day. I have only encountered a few people while out walking and we all kept our distance from each other.
    Jan-there will always be people that think the rules don't apply to them.
    Vix-I enjoy a PB&J sandwich every once in a while. PB gives me heartburn, so don't eat it often.
    Hi Ed and Irene.
    Yesterday was a holiday for me, so I get an extra day off. Today I am doing laundry and puttering around the house. It is chilly here this morning, so hopefully I can get a walk in before this afternoon's rain starts.
    Have a great day! :)
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday! It should be a warm one with no chance of precipitation. I finished off my stew for breakfast today. I guess I should set something up to thaw but I think all I have left is a pound of ground beef. I may have to see how busy Ingle's looks after my walk...to get food!

• eku0
    Good morning all.
    Jan, glad you are safe from the storms. Sorry, you couldn't find the dog food you were looking for. Some people are not taking any of this seriously. For those of us with compromised immune systems, that is very scary.
    I rarely eat any processed foods(except for dark chocolate!) so when I do, it's a treat. I've been a little more lax with my selections while we're staying home. Guess I feel like I need more treats!
    Jo, I hope you found the piece for your glasses. Glad you are getting an extra day off. Good for you for getting in your daily walks. I have been out walking too on the nicer days. Have taken my grandson out in his stroller a couple of times. He loves being outdoors.
    Enjoy your walk, Ed.
    Hi Irene and Val.
    It's cloudy here with a high of 61 expected. It's supposed to freeze overnight tonight.
    I'm going to finish up some masks I've been working on, just 2 seams and elastic left to do on them.
    I also have a tele-med appt with my GP this morning....will see how that goes from the comfort of my own laptop. (I've been having some flare ups lately).
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,162 Member
    good morning, all is good here. Jo enjoy your day off.Jan have you tried Chewy.com we use it for some of Annie's things take care everyone
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday! A bit chilly out there right now, but it should be warm this afternoon, with no chance of rain today.

I have already been to the grocery, to take advantage of senior hour with less crowds, and will walk when I finish my tea and have fed the cats.

Not a lot on the agenda today.

• eku0
    Good morning.
    Sunny with a high of 55 today. I decided to have my cleaner in today. She will be wearing a face mask and we will keep our distance. I'm sure her cleaning skills are better than mine.
  • parityanimal
    58swm09monis.png
  • Buttons61
    Buttons61 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Hello!!
    It is Earth Day!! Have a happy one!! ( Weds.) Guess I will work in the yard!! Do not feel like braving anybody to go to a garden center. I need soil though...Ed, Love your Judge Judy!!
    Jo, So happy you had an extra day off!! It feels good to be outside, so I know you appreciate it esp. having worked. I can barely breathe Thru a mask. I do not know how you do it!! Nurses either..
    Vix, extra special when you can see your grandson!! Glad you are keeping well!!
    Irene, I have ordered from Chewie some. I like them!! I did find May's brand, though the lean one. I can just add a little olive oil to it!! Heaven forbid she gets skinny!! Glad Annie is doing well!!
    Quiet here. People fussing about being able to open. That would be a disaster at this point and make the last weeks not pointless..but less effective. I do think some smaller shops could open by appt. with some cleaning and masks. It would help small places. (not restaurants, salons, entertainment yet..) But that is just me...
    Ed, heard Geo. was opening up...what do you think???

Be safe all. This will end..eventually!! Enjoy the Earth!! :)<3
  • parityanimal
    Buttons61 wrote: »
    Ed, heard Geo. was opening up...what do you think???

Be safe all. This will end..eventually!! Enjoy the Earth!! :)<3

Like everyone, I would love to see things opening back up and starting to return to normal, but not at the needless expense of human lives.

I think it is too soon, as we have no clear indication that the curve has turned downward. Beaches, parks, and the like would be safe now with proper cleaning and distancing, but doubt people will do what is really needed.

And I would like to meet the manicurist, hair stylist, or masseuse that can take care of a customer from 6 feet away. These are very much hands on, personal contact situations.

Can they be made safe? Yes. It is possible, with proper cleaning, use of gloves, masks, etc., they CAN be made at least as safe as possible.

WILL they actually be made safe? Well from all the non-safe behavior I have seen in the grocery stores, and 60 years of experience dealing with human beings...I doubt that they will all be made as safe as they should and am afraid that we will end up with new hot spots and centers of infection.

I intend to continue with my isolation to the extent possible.

• IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,162 Member
    good morning, Well George has decided to retire in Sept.I am happy about it .It will be nice we can actually do some travel and just be nice to have him home.We did have a bad storm here on Tuesday a lot of trees down and we did lose our internet for a couple of hours which included no tv buy it was fine. I do believe as long as you ear a mask and keep a distance some of the business could open so many people are struggling maybe that can help we do have a policy now you have to wear mask in public .Jo I can't imagine wearing a mask for 8 hours hope it isn't too bad for you. Jan thanks for asking about Annie a week ago on Monday her and I where out on a walk and she had a seizure so we just sat down and waited for her to get better it was so scary but we got threw this . This is the first once in 4 months so now i am a little worried when i take her out take care and stay safe
  • parityanimal
    edited April 2020
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling thundery Thursday! Well, it's not thundering yet, but that is supposed to start around noon. We are supposed to have rain all day. I checked the hourly forecast and I see... Rain, Heavy Rain, Rain, Rain, Rain, Thunderstorms, Thunderstorms, Thunderstorms, Scattered Thunderstorms, Scattered Thunderstorms, Scattered Thunderstorms, Scattered Thunderstorms, Scattered Thunderstorms, Scattered Thunderstorms, Thunderstorms, Thunderstorms, and that gets us all the way to bed time.

Finally about 2:00 in the morning it is supposed to get to partly cloudy and tomorrow is supposed to be pretty nice. No walk (at least outdoors) for me today! The only thing I intend to get out of the house for is the mail.

Irene, George is going to love retirement!

Eduardo wants to share that a vegetarian (sweet corn and green chilis) tamale covered with cheese and chili beans (as sauce) and served with Mexican style rice, cooked with onions and peppers in a spicy tomato sauce, makes a delicious meal, and leftover Mexican style rice can be re-purposed into an East Indian vegetable biryani quite nicely.

• eku0
    Good morning all.
    Irene, congrats to George on his plans to retire. I know you'll love it. Sorry about Annie, that sounds scary. I think we'll have to wear masks for a while, so when things reopen we'll just have to be careful. I don't think they'll be able to test enough people. It'll be better when they get a vaccine.
    Ed, the tamale sounds delicious! Supposed to start raining here about 2 p.m. and through tomorrow. Cloudy for now.
    Hi Jo, Jan and Val.
    Have a good day, everyone. Stay safe.