Slower Weight loss at 50?

Options

Replies

• Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    Italian Christmas Cookie Cake

Inspired by a sugar cookie and featuring ricotta and olive oil, this Italian sweet cake is about to become the best you’ve ever tasted. Ever. Ever.

INGREDIENTS
    1 (15.25 oz.) box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ French vanilla cake mix
    1 (15 oz.) container ricotta cheese
    1 1/4 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup olive oil
    4 eggs
    2 teaspoons pure almond extract
    4 cups powdered sugar
    Nonpareil sprinkles
    Baking spray
    DIRECTIONS
    Heat oven to 325º F. Spray a 9” springform pan with baking spray.
    In a stand mixer, beat together cake mix, ricotta, 3/4 cup heavy cream, olive oil, eggs and 1 teaspoon almond extract. Beat until smooth. Pour into prepared pan.
    Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely before removing from springform pan.
    In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup heavy cream, powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon almond extract. Drizzle over cake, sprinkle with nonpareils. Allow frosting to set before slicing and serving.

Roger here is the recipe. I had to add a little more cream to the icing. It was very thick. I also didn't need all the icing, so next time I make it I will probably go with less powered sugar.
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good morning;
    I hope everyone enjoyed their day yesterday. It was in the 60's here and I had on a sleeveless top and a light cardigan. I hear it will be getting down to the 30's by Tues.
    I had a great time visiting with my family yesterday, didn't get home until about 10:30pm. That was way past my bed time, but I was still up at 4:30 this morning.
    I plan to relax today.
    Have a good weekend. :)
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,177 Member
    Options
    Good morning.
    Sounds like a great day, Jo! And I copied your recipe....may use it for a birthday...I can sub in gluten free cake mix! :smiley: Sounds super yummy.
    We had a very relaxing day yesterday. I think I needed that. :)
    Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.
    Enjoy your day today. :)
  • eku0
    Options
    205378-Snoopy-Good-Morning-Have-A-Happy-Sunday.jpg
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    I managed to miss logging into Saturday somehow, There goes my daily log in streak :)
    It is gloomy and misty out today. Friday and Saturday I ended up walking twice, once in the morning and
    once in the evening. While walking I have been listening to The Mysterious Traveler, The Shadow and
    Chandu the Magician. Links for free download or streaming sites available if anyone is interested.

I did a taste test for my Brother Winging it bread, Bland :) OTOH he did wing it with no recipe so congrats for trying.

Have a great Sunday
    Roger
    eku0 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yes, there is a premium for the Betty Crocker gluten free mixes....I think the box was about $4.50!
    All the gluten free products, bread, etc that we buy for my husband are way more expensive than the
    regular flour products.
    My no white starches, includes bread, pasta, white potatoes, rice, pretty much any flour products, and most grains.
    I really don't mind. I miss the nightshades more....tomatoes and peppers were staples for me...
    I only had eggplant or white potatoes occasionally, so don't really miss them.
    I'm trying some veggies I never really ate before, like some of the winter squashes.
    I also think I will eat a bit more fruit or dried fruit, and steer away from red meat, sub in some beans.
    It's hard trying to figure out what works for me. I feel like a continuous experiment. :wink:
    Anyway.....have a fun day, enjoy your festivities! :)

Hi Vix
    I like most of the Winter Squashes, The Problem is they are fattening.
    Is the elimination of the Nightshades helping?

I eat three servings of fruit a day, More expensive than cheap foods however.

Good Luck
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Italian Christmas Cookie Cake

Inspired by a sugar cookie and featuring ricotta and olive oil, this Italian sweet cake is about to
    become the best you’ve ever tasted. Ever. Ever.

INGREDIENTS
    1 (15.25 oz.) box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ French vanilla cake mix
    1 (15 oz.) container ricotta cheese
    1 1/4 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup olive oil
    4 eggs
    2 teaspoons pure almond extract
    4 cups powdered sugar
    Nonpareil sprinkles
    Baking spray
    DIRECTIONS
    Heat oven to 325º F. Spray a 9” springform pan with baking spray.
    In a stand mixer, beat together cake mix, ricotta, 3/4 cup heavy cream, olive oil, eggs and 1 teaspoon almond extract.
    Beat until smooth. Pour into prepared pan.
    Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
    Cool completely before removing from springform pan.
    In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup heavy cream, powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon almond extract.
    Drizzle over cake, sprinkle with nonpareils. Allow frosting to set before slicing and serving.

Roger here is the recipe. I had to add a little more cream to the icing. It was very thick.
    I also didn't need all the icing, so next time I make it I will probably go with less powered sugar.
    Good morning;
    I hope everyone enjoyed their day yesterday. It was in the 60's here and I had on a sleeveless top and a light cardigan.
    I hear it will be getting down to the 30's by Tues.
    I had a great time visiting with my family yesterday, didn't get home until about 10:30pm.
    That was way past my bed time, but I was still up at 4:30 this morning.
    I plan to relax today.
    Have a good weekend. :)

Hi Joanne
    Thanks for the recipe, I wonder about calories of course, Maybe without the frosting?

We are having record highs lately. Today is supposed to be another record day too.

I have been walking in the early morning a little while after the Sun comes up wearing just a Long Sleeve Shirt
    and light gloves.

I over indulged with the Baked Ham Friday, Cooks brand low Sodium. The regular Cooks ham was
    so salty that both my brother and I were not happy last year for Christmas. This year I pulled the Vacuum Sealed Mashed Potatoes
    and Left of Dressing AKA Stuffing left over from Thanksgiving out of the freezer and That helped two ways, It let us be lazy and
    have less leftovers to tempt for both holidays.

Cheers
    Roger
    Good morning.
    Sounds like a great day, Jo! And I copied your recipe....may use it for a birthday...
    I can sub in gluten free cake mix! :smiley: Sounds super yummy.
    We had a very relaxing day yesterday. I think I needed that. :)
    Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.
    Enjoy your day today. :)

Hi Vix
    I had a Nice Holiday and am using some of my Christmas gifts during my walks, a iPod Nano and headphones.

Have a Good upcoming week.
    Roger
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good afternoon;
    Roger-I am not sure about the calorie count on the cake.
    Vix-you need a relaxing day every once in a while to recharge.
    I worked 4 hours this morning and then came home and put away the christmas decorations. I then spent an unpleasant hour trying to balance my checkbook. I finally got it straightened out. I have nothing else planned for today. I think maybe I will lay on the couch and watch a movie.
    Irene-hope you had a good holiday.
    Enjoy the day. :)
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,124 Member
    Options
    merry christmas sorry I haven't been on it should be back to normal now.Spent christmas day with my familly which was nice haven't seen any one since june well I was bad I eat a lot of cake and cookies but tomorrow I start back walking and watching what I eat well have a good night
  • eku0
    Options
    Sounds like everyone had a nice holiday.
    Irene, glad things will be getting back to normal for you.
    Jo, I wouldn't worry about the calories in the cake....it's not an everyday thing, and I think once in a while you just have to have a little something out of the ordinary. :)
    Roger, the calories on the squash isn't that bad...about the same as sweet potato, and they really are filling. I'm not eating as much red meat, so I can afford to put a few extra calories somewhere else. I'm eating more veggies, drinking more plain water, seems to be helping a little. :)
    Have a good evening everyone. :)
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning!
    Off to gym and PT this morning.
    Have a great day, everyone. :)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    I have not gone out walking yet, Today is the first time I can remember ever needing to exchange a Christmas Gift :)
    My Brother gave me Mittens which he says will keep my hands warmer during the colder weather. He did not notice the size where it says "Large Junior" I could not get my hands into them. So I am waiting until after 8:30 - 8:45 since the store opens at 10AM in the next town.

Much Colder today than Yesterday too. We Did not make the record warm Sunday, Due to clouds we fell 2 degrees short at 61 degrees. Today We might hot 41 degrees :(

While walking Saturday on one of the streets I was on there was a different animal running across the lawns. That is the first time I've seen a Fox while walking.

Cheers
    Roger
    Good afternoon;
    Roger-I am not sure about the calorie count on the cake.
    Vix-you need a relaxing day every once in a while to recharge.
    I worked 4 hours this morning and then came home and put away the christmas decorations.
    I then spent an unpleasant hour trying to balance my checkbook.
    I finally got it straightened out. I have nothing else planned for today.
    I think maybe I will lay on the couch and watch a movie.
    Irene-hope you had a good holiday.
    Enjoy the day. :)

Hi Joanne
    I take a easy approach to balancing the checkbooks.
    as long as it is within a few cents I'm OK with it.

I had not planned to do anything with Christmas decorations until Next Year :)

Cheers
    Roger
    merry christmas sorry I haven't been on it should be back
    to normal now.Spent christmas day with my family which was nice haven't seen any one since
    june well I was bad I eat a lot of cake and cookies but tomorrow I start back walking and
    watching what I eat well have a good night

Hi Irene
    Don't feel bad, holidays are tough, Lunches, family dinners and more.
    I am up slightly this week from last Mondays weigh in, I expect to back OK tomorrow after today's walk.
    Unfortunately Wednesday is a day with friends away from the house, Then New Years day Friday,
    More Leftover Ham and Turkey, Whee :)

Have a Better Week at work than lately
    Roger
    Sounds like everyone had a nice holiday.
    Irene, glad things will be getting back to normal for you.
    Jo, I wouldn't worry about the calories in the cake....it's not an everyday thing,
    and I think once in a while you just have to have a little something out of the ordinary. :)
    Roger, the calories on the squash isn't that bad...about the same as sweet potato,
    and they really are filling. I'm not eating as much red meat,
    so I can afford to put a few extra calories somewhere else.
    I'm eating more veggies, drinking more plain water, seems to be helping a little. :)
    Have a good evening everyone. :)

Hi Vix
    I did know that TBH, FWIW I do like Sweet Potato Pie and some winter squash make a decent pie too.
    There are a lot of tasty older varieties of squash we don't see here on the east coast,
    and some older varieties of summer melons too, I haven't seen a Banana Melon in years :(

Have a Good Week
    Roger
    Good morning!
    Off to gym and PT this morning.
    Have a great day, everyone. :)

Hi Again
    Enjoy the trip to the Gym, It is time for me to get off and have my breakfast and
    get ready to go walking to do my exchange.

Cheers
    Roger
  • Joanne3366
    Options
    Good morning;
    Roger-we went to the mall on Sat.most of the people there were returning things. I did not have to return anything.
    We are going to Lenscrafters today. Hubby got a coupon for a complete set of glasses for $249.00. He would like a back up pair.
    Irene-I am glad things are getting back to normal for you.
    We are supposed to have a storm tomorrow, I am praying it is only rain.
    Enjoy your day. :)
  • eku0
    Options
    Jo, I hope it's only rain too....kind of nice not to be buried with snow. (knock wood)!
    It has gotten chillier today, and very gray and gloomy.
    Roger, sorry about your mittens....they are actually warmer than gloves. :) Hopefully you can get the right size. I was lucky too and didn't have to return anything.
    Irene, glad things are geting back to normal.
    Keep smiling everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    hi all on my way out the door just wanted to say hi
  • eku0
    edited December 2015
    Options
    97200-Good-Morning-Happy-Tuesday.jpg

Hi Irene!
    I have clay co-op today. :)
    Have a great day, everyone.
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    It is rainy and windy outside currently :( The rain is supposed to be over later on so I think I will walk up to the post office and bank after my noontime food. I found 26 cents Sunday while walking a different road than I usually take, that could be why.

I have had my Banana already and in a little while I will go have my protein shake and Breakfast Entree. NS Cinnamon Roll or NS Pancakes.

Have a Good Tuesday
    Roger
    Good morning;
    Roger-we went to the mall on Sat.most of the people there were returning things.
    I did not have to return anything.
    We are going to Lenscrafters today. Hubby got a coupon for a complete set of glasses for $249.00.
    He would like a back up pair.
    Irene-I am glad things are getting back to normal for you.
    We are supposed to have a storm tomorrow, I am praying it is only rain.
    Enjoy your day. :)

Hi Joanne
    All went well, I walked into the next town, did my exchange and ate a Breakfast Bar as it was a little past time
    for Breakfast. Then I had my Noon Snack, in this case I took the easy road and used a NS Craving Crusher Shake.

The last glasses I got are the most comfortable I have had. They have soft nose pieces and the sides
    where they go over the ears are spring loaded so they go on really easy and adjust with a gentle pressure
    against the side of the head instead of having to bend them for fit which changes as the day progresses
    and as my hair grows. If that makes any sense?

Cheers
    Roger
    Jo, I hope it's only rain too....kind of nice not to be buried with snow. (knock wood)!
    It has gotten chillier today, and very gray and gloomy.
    Roger, sorry about your mittens....they are actually warmer than gloves. :)
    Hopefully you can get the right size. I was lucky too and didn't have to return anything.
    Irene, glad things are getting back to normal.
    Keep smiling everyone. :)

Hi Vix
    I was a little worried about the weather last night when I heard what sounded like ice pellets hitting the porch as
    I went out for the mail, However It is only raining currently and around 40 degrees, It is chilly due to the
    wind blowing the rain so I'll walk later on.

My Brother said that too regarding mittens and that was why he bought them as a stocking stuffer type of gift.
    I ended up buying a slightly larger than needed for them only so I can put another layer of gloves inside as needed.
    Due to the size being larger I ended up having to pay the difference. Oh Well, if they keep my hands warm on the
    colder days well worth it :)

As I think I mentioned it was the first time I can recall exchanging anything and I do not do returns either.

Have a safe warm day, the weather here is nasty looking outside.
    Roger
    hi all on my way out the door just wanted to say hi

Hi Irene
    I guess the pressure is off at work now.

Have a enjoyable day at work, as well as You can working that is
    Roger
    Hi Irene!
    I have clay co-op today. :)
    Have a great day, everyone.

Hi Again
    I have been getting pop up messages from MFP that You are busy posting :)

Have a great time at Clay
    Roger
  • eku0
    Options
    Haha, yeah....I found some New Year's funnies. :)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Haha, yeah....I found some New Year's funnies. :)

Hi Again
    I need to get to the other computer to post images as that is where they are stored :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    Options
    good morning,well we thought work was going to slow down talked about not working new years eve day well I think that is changing they told us yesterday to plan on working oh well at least I will be off friday looking forward to only working 4 days again. We don't go out new years half the time I am a sleep already but it would of been nice to have an extra day off. I am back on my ns and feeling better too many cookies durning the holiday. So what is everyone doing for the new year are you going out or are you staying home?well gotta go to work
  • eku0
    Options
    Good morning.
    Irene, sorry you have to work new year's eve, but glad you are back on your 4 day weeks. :)
    We're going to a friend's house for NewYear's Eve with a couple of other couples. We've been getting together with them for several years. It's nice, very casual and relaxing. We're all bringing some munchies, I always bring a bottle of champaigne. I'm also bringing a cake this year...it's her 60th birthday! Time to celebrate. :)
    Off to the gym and PT this morning.
    Enjoy your day, everyone. :)
  • RogerToo
    Options
    Hi All
    It was slightly foggy this morning as I walked over to drop off one of My Brothers Fruit Cake, This is last years recipe that has been sprayed with a Brandy spray for weeks.

I'll be out the door shortly, We are spending the day at a friends, Then tomorrow is a Brunch (Breakfast) with a friend and then Friday is New Years day. So I'll be having three tough days for a dieter.

Roger
    good morning,well we thought work was going to slow down
    talked about not working new years eve day well I think that is changing they told us yesterday to
    plan on working oh well at least I will be off friday looking forward to only working 4 days again.
    We don't go out new years half the time I am a sleep already but it would of been nice to have an extra day off.
    I am back on my ns and feeling better too many cookies durning the holiday.
    So what is everyone doing for the new year are you going out or are you staying home?
    well gotta go to work

Hi Irene
    Sorry to hear that You are working New Years Eve.

My plan for New Years Eve is stay home. I hope I can handle the excitement.

I talked to the garage when I dropped off the large Fruit cake for their breaks and The Boss gave them Thursday off
    so they get a four day weekend.

It has been a tough month and still looks like it will end that way too :(

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    Good morning.
    Irene, sorry you have to work new year's eve, but glad you are back on your 4 day weeks. :)
    We're going to a friend's house for NewYear's Eve with a couple of other couples.
    We've been getting together with them for several years. It's nice, very casual and relaxing.
    We're all bringing some munchies, I always bring a bottle of champagne.
    I'm also bringing a cake this year...it's her 60th birthday! Time to celebrate. :)
    Off to the gym and PT this morning.
    Enjoy your day, everyone. :)

Hi Vix
    It sounds as if You have a pleasant evening ahead of You.

Have a Great Day
    Roger