Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,163 Member
    good morning, we had a lot of rain last night and then around 3am it poured rain but right now it is just a little drizzle.
    take care
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,371 Member
    good morning.
    Ed, have fun working out the problems.
    Irene, enjoy the warmer weather.
    Hi Jo, hope you have some time off this weekend.
    We had some storms late last night, but all is well.
    I will do some shopping today for Sunday's family get together. Need to check my recipes and see what I need.
    It's currently 47F, mostly cloudy early followed by partly cloudy skies and gusty winds this afternoon. High 51F. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph. Higher wind gusts possible.
    Wishing everyone a good day. ⛅🪁
  • parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,326 Member
    Howdy all y'all. It's satisfying Saturday.

We have 6 (Celsius) clear degrees with an expected high of 20 and 1% chance of precipitation.

Nothing critical at home, but I do need to get out soon for cat food and maybe a few groceries.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)
  • eku0
    good evening.
    We had a fun day at the Eastern Shore in Md. We left this morning at 8 a.m. and got back home at 7 p.m. Spent the day with our son, his wife, and in-laws. The sea glass festival was nice. There were some interesting arts and crafts. I was mostly impressed with one woman who did wood and epoxy projects that were just beautiful, and another who did glass mosaics. There was the usual amount of jewelry, etc., a little pottery (one of the artists did pretty intricate work), and a lot of resin on glass, which I really haven't seen before.
    It was a cool, but sunny day, and very enjoyable. Stopped at a restaurant and had grilled fish tacos (yum) , and and ice cream shop for handmade ice cream (strawberry) also very yummy.
    Have a good night, everyone. Sleep well. 😴
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, getting ready to get on the treadmill just wanted to say hi
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday!

We have 8 (Celsius) sunny degrees with an expected high of 20 under sunny skies and 1% chance of precipitation.

Sounds like you had a fun day, Vix.

I may get back out to the store today. I didn't buy canned cat food for Dinah because she has quite a bit left, but it's not enough to last the month so I may get her some more. And I saw some hoop cheese (cheddar) chunks at Ingle's but didn't buy any, and last night, after dinner, for some reason that cheese was calling to me all the way from the grocery so I may go and get a chunk. I like hoop cheese and haven't had any for quite a while. I just have to limit how many crackers or other carbs I eat with it. LOL. It would be great, grated, for a cheesy potato dish too.

I have one plate of chicken and noodles left from what I made Thursday night in the Instant Pot. And I thawed out a big pile of boneless chicken thighs and chicken tenders that I think I am going to put in a slow cooker for either shredded chicken barbecue or, perhaps, some might get turned into chicken salad, and the rest into shredded barbecue. Barbecue can be frozen for later meals, but chicken salad doesn't really freeze well. We'll see. My inner chef, Eduardo, may pop up with some other idea for the cooked chicken. One never knows!

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    good morning all.
    I've got a cheesecake in the oven, will do some other chores this a.m., and then family this afternoon.
    Yesterday was a lot of fun, but I am tired today. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
    It's currently 45F, a mix of clouds and sun. High 54F. Winds WNW at 15 to 25 mph.
    Wishing everyone a relaxing Sunday. 🌞
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Good afternoon;
    Vix-Happy birthday to your son.
    Hi Irene and Ed.
    It has been really slow at work. We have a new store director starting on Monday. Our current one is retiring. We are having a pot luck lunch on Friday. I am making dessert, cookies and brownies.
    It has been chilly here for the last week. I just need it to be a little warmer, so I can start working in the yard. I see some tulips and day lilies poking out of the ground.
    I just finished reading Where the crawdads sing by Delia Owens. I enjoyed it and was surprised by the ending.
    Have a great day! :)

• parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's magnificent Monday!

We have 4 (Celsius) clear degrees out there with an expected high of 24 under partly cloudy skies and 0% chance of rain.

Back to work this morning. I never did get the hoop cheese and have yet to get additional food for Dina but there is more than enough for this week and next week, so no hurry. I'm sure there will be more hoop cheese later at Ingle's, and more canned cat food at PetSmart.

• eku0
    good morning.
    Thanks, Jo. It's always wonderful to hang out with our family. <3 I hope your new store director is a good one. I think I may have read that book long ago. The book I'm reading now is sad, kind of poetic, and kind of tmi in parts.
    Our cherry trees and ornamental pears are blooming along with the hyacinths and daffodils. It's very pretty.
    Ed, seems like nice weather where you are.
    It's currently 34F here, a mix of clouds and sun during the morning will give way to cloudy skies this afternoon. High 56F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.
    Another new week, wishing everyone a good one. (Looks like warmer weather is coming next week). 🌞
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

We have 11 (Celsius) clear degrees with an expected cloudy high of 18 and 100% chance of rain.

Nothing critical on the home front other than getting the garbage and recycles to the curb this evening. I think there may be several updates for me to test at work.

I had some of my cooked, chopped chicken last night as barbecue, with some mac and cheese. Eduardo thinks the bulk of the remaining chicken would be lovely in a Tex-Mex style chicken and rice dish for Taco Tuesday. I may eat a bit as chicken salad for lunch. That and the chicken and rice should finish off the cooked chicken nicely, though there should be leftovers from the chicken and rice for at least another meal. I have a chuck roast, bought at half price markdown, thawing to make pot roast next.

• IreneMurman
    good morning, our weather is starting to be more spring like i think today it is suppose to rain
  • eku0
    good morning.
    Hi Irene and Jo.
    Ed, I know you also do vegetarian cooking. Seems like it may be difficult without going higher in carbs. Have you found that? We had grilled cod last night. I really like it. I am thinking about leaning pescatarian or flexitarian, but concerned about getting enough protein without really having too many carbs.
    I went to the library yesterday. Doing some laundry today, and whatever else the day brings.
    It's currently 45F and mostly cloudy, rain likely. High 56F. Winds SE at 5 to 10 mph.
    Wishing everyone a productive Tuesday. ☂
  • parityanimal
    eku0 wrote: »
    good morning.

Ed, I know you also do vegetarian cooking. Seems like it may be difficult without going higher in carbs. Have you found that? We had grilled cod last night. I really like it. I am thinking about leaning pescatarian or flexitarian, but concerned about getting enough protein without really having too many carbs.

It can be a challenge to do vegetarian without too many carbs. It's a bit easier with eggs and dairy included, as the eggs and cheese can be major contributors to the protein. But one gets tired of eggs and cheese.

Some of the newer plant based meat substitutes can seem very meat-like, but may not contain all that much protein, and usually have carbs that real meat does not. It varies. They can be expensive too. Some of the older ones made largely with soy protein are good, but they have carbs too, which has to be taken into consideration. J doesn't care for things pretending to be meat. Morningstar Farms fake bacon strips have a nice bacon-like flavor (think Bacos, only better) and, if cooked right, a crispy mouth feel that is NOTHING like real bacon, and J does like those. Bacos or similar store brand fake bacon bits are fine too, as they don't really seem like bacon, as long as they have no REAL bacon flavor added.

Most beans are a good source of protein, but most are not a complete protein and need a grain to provide all that is needed. As the beans themselves contain a good deal of carbs, albeit GOOD carbs, the trick is to find grains that contain a lot of protein and more good carbs than bad. J is particular about grains so I do best pushing a variety of protein sources.

And there are a few beans that do contain a complete protein, and do not need a grain to balance.

Nuts, and some seeds, like beans, can be a good protein source, albeit with carbs, some good, and some not so good, and can contain a lot of fat. I always keep a variety of nuts around for snacking. As snacks go, they are better than most.

As you mentioned, fish can be a great source of protein if you like fish. Most people tend to fry it when it can be marvelous grilled, baked, or broiled, or even made into soups. Some fish are very fatty, but most aren't all that fatty, and some of that fat is good omega three oils.

You might look online for recipes for Hungarian Fisherman's Soup. I have made it (I made my own fish stock first, with a bony, cheap fish, and strained it) using boneless chunks of assorted freshwater fish. I can't remember whether I added tomato to mine, but I might have. There are variations on the recipe, as one might expect.

• parityanimal
    edited April 2022
    Well, Eduardo's Taco Tuesday casserole of taco seasoned rice, pinto beans, and diced, cooked chicken, with bell peppers, jalapenos, and onions, topped with pepper jack cheese, turned out well.

I had some for supper and have three more servings to enjoy, so will probably have that for all three meals tomorrow, though I may save one serving for Thursday lunch and have something else for breakfast tomorrow.

ez3d4apah7kl.png

6z5u5d6di491.png

• parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

We have 16 (Celsius) foggy degrees with an expected partly cloudy high of 24 and 80% chance of rain that could include some thunder and lightning.

I have a few program errors to write up this morning, as one of our clints reported an issue and it was forwarded to us late in the day yesterday by one of our engineers. I was able to verify the issue in my test environment and have, actually, three separate tickets to write for our programmers, one directly related to the reported issue and two others that are probably in the same area of code, but not quite the same issues.

Nothing critical on the home front.

• IreneMurman
    good morning,
    you food looks yummy Ed
    getting ready to go on the treadmill
    take care
    irene
  • eku0
    good morning.
    enjoy your treadmill session, Irene.
    your taco cassarole looks delicious, Ed.
    It's been raining all night here.
    Currently 48F, rain showers continuing this morning with overcast skies during the afternoon hours. High around 60F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph.
    This week is going quickly. Wednesday already, have a good one. 🐫☂
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Good afternoon;
    Ed-your casserole looks yummy!
    Vix-It has been raining here all day.
    Irene-Are you feeling better?
    It has been raining here all day.
    I haven't met the new store director yet, but saw him a few times yesterday walking around the store. He is very young looking or it may be that I am just getting old. ;)

• parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday! We have 12 (Celsius) cloudy degrees with with an expected mostly sunny high of 19 and 4% chance of rain. There were thunderstorms during the night, but it looks like they have all passed by for now.

Whole grain protein pancakes with sausage links for breakfast. I'll be finishing off the Taco Tuesday casserole for lunch, at plan to get that pot roast started in my largest Crock Pot around 10:00 or so, and dinner (along with probably three more meals) will come from that.

With all the stuff going on at work, I expect there will be plenty for me to test today.