Replies

• parityanimal
    parityanimal Posts: 21,318 Member
    edited January 2023
    Howdy all y'all. It's sumptuous Sunday!

Happy New Year!
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Happy New Year!
    Hubby and I both tested positive for Covid yesterday. We will be staying home and isolating for 5 days.
    What a way to start the new year. :#
    Vix-Hope your headache feels better soon. Do you feel like the injections are helping?
    Irene-I bet your Chinese food was good.
    Ed-I know there is a story about blacked eyed peas on New Years. Is it for good luck for the coming year?
    Have a great start to the New Year! :)

Hope your bouts with covid are brief and mild.

There is indeed a story about the traditional New Year's food.

Some only have pork (any kind), black-eyed peas and greens (any kind) but I usually follow the tradition of black-eyed peas, hog jowl, and collard greens with corn bread on the side or, usually for me, under the pork and black-eyed peas in my bowl.

Sometimes I do mixed greens (collard with mustard and/or turnip) and could even consider mixing in some kale. One year I broke my tradition and had mustard greens only and one year only had turnip greens, with diced up turnips mixed in. I figured they are all closely related greens in the same family, and can even naturally hybridize amongst themselves so really it's all good.

But to the story. I think this web page relates it well, along with some variations, such as cabbage or even sauerkraut for the greens.

https://toshfarms.net/new-years-traditions-black-eyed-peas-hog-jowl-and-greens/

• parityanimal
    This year's New Year food.

Black-eyed peas with ham and smoked pork jowl, along with some onion, bell pepper, garlic, other seasonings, etc. Collard greens with smoked pork jowl and seasoning. Cornbread, while not visible, is present under the beans in my dinner serving.

Plenty of leftovers to get me through at least another day.

bx1jjzgiwoet.png
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's marvelous Monday!

We have 9 (Celsius) cloudy degrees with an expected cloudy high of 18 and 21% chance of precipitation.

I had leftover ham and black-eyed pea soup for breakfast, over cornbread, with collard greens around the edge. My breakfast plate looked pretty much like yesterday's dinner plate.

I should get out to Kroger today.

————————————————————————————————————————————

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

:)
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,162 Member
    good morning,
    Well it looks like our weather is going to be colder, it sure was nice . When we walked this morning it was like 37 but it was nice I know it will be getting colder.
    Jo are you feeling better?
    take care everyone
  • parityanimal
    SCAM OF THE WEEK:

Smishing Is 50% Off!

Have you ever received text messages about special discounts or promotions for a service you use? Many legitimate organizations send promotional text messages to their customers. Unfortunately, cybercriminals are sending text messages with fake promotions to try to manipulate you.

In a recent smishing (SMS phishing) scam, cybercriminals send you a text message offering a discount that's only available for a limited time. The text message claims that the discount is for a common expense such as gas, an electricity bill, or even a car insurance policy. To claim your discount, the text message states that you need to click a link and enter sensitive information, including your bank account information. If you click the link and enter this information, cybercriminals can use it to access your bank account and steal your money.

Follow the tips below to stay safe from similar smishing scams:
    • Think before you interact with a text message. Did you sign up for text messages from the organization? Is the text message similar to other text messages you’ve received from the organization?
    • If an offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Verify any offers of discounts or promotions by contacting the organization directly.
    • Never tap on a link in a text message that you aren’t expecting. Instead, open your internet browser and navigate to the organization’s official website.

The KnowBe4 Security Team
    KnowBe4 dot com

• eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,369 Member
    good morning
    Ed, a friend of mine in California also has the black-eyed pea custom for NYE. The background story was interesting, customs vary/are similar around the world and through time.
    Irene, I'm enjoying the warmer weather too, getting out in the sun. It's supposed to cool off again starting Friday.
    Jo, I hope you and hubby are feeling ok, and wishing you a speedy recovery with no after effects.
    It's currently 48F, here. Expected high of 62F, periods of clouds and sunshine (currently cloudy).
    Wind SSW 5-10 mph.
    WIshing all a great start to a new year, may we have peace, health, good friends, good times.🕊️🥂
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good morning;
    I am feeling better each day. I have lost my sense of taste and smell. I can live with not smelling anything. I am highly sensitive to smells, but I really miss the taste of food. On the bright side, not tasting anything may help me to lose a little weight, as food is not as enjoyable. Hubby is just about over it, just a slight cough. We will retest tomorrow and if negative we will be back to work on Thursday with masks for an additional 5 days.
    Ed-Thanks for the article on black eye peas, interesting about the different cultures.
    We are having a new garage door installed today. It is good that the workmen will be outside and hubby will mask up when he goes out to talk to them. We have waited almost 3 months.
    Take care and have a great day! :)
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's terrific Tuesday!

We have 17 (Celsius) cloudy degrees with an expected partly cloudy high of 19 and 74% chance of precipitation which could include thunderstorms and there could be strong winds regardless of whether we have storms or rain.

Back to work today. I'm doing a presentation for management this afternoon.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

• eku0
    edited January 2023
    good morning
    Jo, I'm glad you're feeling better. My husband lost his sense of taste and smell for a while, but some of it has come back. Good luck testing negative, sometimes it takes a while. Congrats on getting a new garage door! It always feels good to get a home improvement done.
    Ed, I guess you're in a pretty good area. They are predicting big storms for the south east. I hope you keep your power if it gets windy. We lose it occasionally here, but this seems to be a pretty good area too, where we don't usually get the worst of it.
    It's currently raining and 47F. Rain ending this morning. Remaining cloudy. High around 65F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.
    My sister fell and broke her pelvis yesterday, so she's back in the hospital. Should know by Wednesday if she can do rehab or not. It will be a very long recovery period.
    I have clay crafters this afternoon. I'm still struggling to get back on track with my diet. Oh, to be naturally thin!
    Anyway. Wishing all a pleasant Thursday. Be careful and stay healthy. ☔
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's wonderful Wednesday!

We have 16 (Celsius) thunderstormy degrees with an expected high of 19 under partly cloudy skies and 100% chance of precipitation.

I get to drive to my doctor in the rain, with flash flood warnings. Joy!

• Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good morning;
    Vix-I am so sorry to hear about your sister, I will keep her in my prayers.
    I took another rapid test this morning and am still testing positive. I will have to call work and see what the next steps are.
    The weather has been rainy for the past days. I would really like to get out and take a walk and breathe fresh air.
    Ed-how did the presentation go?
    Hi Irene
    Have a good day! :)
  • IreneMurman
    good morning,
    vix sorry to hear that your sister fell hope it is a fast recovery for her.
    take care
  • eku0
    edited January 2023
    good morning
    Stay safe, Ed. Good luck with your Dr. appt.
    Jo, sorry you're still testing positive. Sometimes it takes a while. Hope it's negative soon and that your're feeling better. It's probably good to take a walk, get our your raincoat, umbrella, boots!
    Hi Irene.
    My sister will be transported to a rehab facility today. That's actually good news. It will be a long recovery. Thanks for your good wishes. It's her birthday today. I hope I can get in touch.
    We figured out how to work the kiln yesterday, happy to know we can fire our clay pieces.
    It's currently 58F, cloudy with light rain developing this afternoon. Thunder possible. High 63F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph.
    Wishing all a happy 🐫 day. ☔🕊️
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's thrilling Thursday!

We have 7 (Celsius) clear, cold degrees with an expected sunny high of 15 and 2% chance of precipitation.

I hope everyone feels better soon! My doctor was happy with my lab results and we are making no change to medication at this time.

My presentation went well Tuesday. The management crew was quite impressed with the slick installer that the development team came up with. It could be fairly easily modified to install other programs. They were even more impressed with the product we were installing, which was also one of the development team's gems.

I have things to test, but am also trying to get transferred into a new notebook work computer, and have a lot of things to install on it so I can get the old one sent back to reconfigure and re-use for another purpose.

• eku0
    good morning
    Congrats on the presentation, Ed. Sounds like the development team did a good job. Good luck getting the new laptop set up.
    I spoke with my sister last night and was able to wish her the best for her rehab, and a happy birthday. Her daughter-in-law called when they visited, so nice! I guess that's when I'll get to talk with her.
    Our housecleaner is coming this morning, and I have to go to the library, and get some gas in my car. We went to lunch at a Peruvian restaurant yesterday. It was good. I had a quinoa salad. Hubby had steak kabobs, fried potatoes, and a salad. All was delicious. :)
    It's currently 50F. Mostly sunny skies this morning will give way to occasional showers during the afternoon. High 59F. Winds light and variable.
    Wishing all a smooth and easy Thursday. 🌞🕊️
  • IreneMurman
    good morning,
    Jo I didn't even see that you were still positive hope you feel better soon.
    Vix so glad you got to talk to your sister I am sure that made her birthday so much nicer.
    Ed glad every thing went well at your presentation
  • parityanimal
    Howdy all y'all. It's fantastic Friday!

We have 4 (Celsius) sunny degrees (feels like 2) with an expected high of 13 under mostly sunny skies and 1% chance of precipitation.

I worked over 16 hours yesterday, getting my new PC up and ready to work with as they are in a big tearing hurry to reconfigure my old one for a new network engineer who's starting soon.

You never realize how much stuff you have installed until it's time to re-install it all over again! I got to bed maybe about 1:45 this morning after a late dinner of baked Tombstone frozen pizza, eaten at my desk while installing software and all my test databases.

Cold pizza for breakfast.

I'll try working with the new machine today with the old one standing by in case I need to copy something else off it. We're supposed to try to send it back today if we can.

• eku0
    edited January 2023
    good morning
    Wow, Ed, that's a lot of work when you have a lot of software to install. I hope everything works well today, and you can finish up on time and get some well deserved rest! Yay, Friday!
    Hi Irene and Jo.
    There is a beautiful cardinal sitting in the spruce tree outside my window, just looking around, saying good morning, such a pretty color against the green. There was a rainbow sprouting out of our back yard last night, and a gorgeous pink and orange sunset.
    It's currently 43F, chilling off. A mix of clouds and sun. Slight chance of a rain shower. High 48F. Winds WNW at 10 to 20 mph.
    I have a massage appt this morning. Looking forward to that.
    Wishing all an easy Friday, and a happy weekend ahead. 🌤️🍷🕊️
  • IreneMurman
    good morning
  • eku0
    good morning
    It's currently 39F, a mix of clouds and sun. High around 45F. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph.
    Will see what the day brings today.
    Wishing everyone a fun relaxing weekend. 🌤️🍷🕊️