Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,161 Member
    hi all, well I got in a little walk today but plan on going out again in a little while so far I got in 5372 steps but it is still early and I know we are going to ft Dix and will be walking there . My knee has been sore been putting ice on it hope it starts to get better . We really don't eat much meat so I will pass on the corned beef the most we eat is chicken or turkey well take care Jo sorry you have to work.
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good morning;
    Didn't sleep much better last night. Hubby was either coughing or snoring, so I kept waking up.
    I bought the corned beef yesterday. I plan on buying the other ingredients today, at my store because they are less expensive.
    Roger-I would say Frugal. :)
    Since I was up early this morning, I did 2 loads of laundry, vacuumed and rearranged the living room, washed the kitchen and bathroom floors, made a run to the christmas tree shop and general straightening of the house.
    I now have about 45 minutes before I have to go to work.
    Have a great day.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    hi all, well I got in a little walk today but plan on going out again in a little while so far I got in 5372 steps but it is still early and I know we are going to ft Dix and will be walking there . My knee has been sore been putting ice on it hope it starts to get better . We really don't eat much meat so I will pass on the corned beef the most we eat is chicken or turkey well take care Jo sorry you have to work.

Hi Irene
    I can sort of see not eating a lot of beef, OTOH the lower amount of beef dishes in the NS menu creates a sort of craving for beef in my case. That was what led me to go Have a Nice End Cut Roast Prime Rib a while back.

A local store had Whole Chickens and Chicken Legs with Thighs on sale for 99 cents a pound recently, I think that is a good price?

Good Luck with the Knee, Maybe it could use a day off tomorrow?

Good Luck
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good morning;
    Didn't sleep much better last night. Hubby was either coughing or snoring, so I kept waking up.
    I bought the corned beef yesterday. I plan on buying the other ingredients today, at my store because they are less expensive.
    Roger-I would say Frugal. :)
    Since I was up early this morning, I did 2 loads of laundry, vacuumed and rearranged the living room, washed the kitchen and bathroom floors, made a run to the christmas tree shop and general straightening of the house.
    I now have about 45 minutes before I have to go to work.
    Have a great day.

Hi Joanne
    Beyond what I think of as traditional items such as Potatoes and Cabbage as well as maybe Irish Soda bread what else would be the other ingredients?

I really need to get some good sleep as I am starting to feel tired early the last couple of evenings.

BTW You make me feel lazy, All I had in mind to do is Security updates on my one laptop that I use for online banking, payments and purchases.

Enjoy Your Day
    Roger
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,367 Member
    Hi all.
    Jo, you always do so much! Make me feel lazy too. :)
    Irene, hope you had a nice walk, and that your knee starts feeling better.
    Roger, oops....already went out today, bought and cooked and ate some corned beef and cabbage! It was yummy. I rinsed it well before I cooked it, did not cook it in it's "juices", threw those out. I just put it in the pot with the seasoning, covered it in water and let it boil then added the cabbage and let it all cook for a couple of hours. It probably still had a lot of salt, but I'll drink a lot of water if it stays with me. I was really craving that corned beef! :)
    Didn't do much else today, couple of loads of laundry, PT exercise, watered the houseplants.
    Have a good night, everyone. :)
  • Joanne3366
    Good morning;
    I hope everyone remembered to set their clocks ahead.
    Roger-When I cook corned beef,I also have potatoes, turnip, carrots and cabbage. That is how my mom used to cook it. BTW do you use red or gray corned beef? I always use gray. I think of red as a deli sandwich on rye bread with mustard. :) I am cooking mine tomorrow. I am going to skip the soda bread this year.
    I do not like working the late shift, by 5pm I was so tired and still had 2 more hours to go. :(
    Irene-I hope the ice helps your knee.
    Vix-Glad you enjoyed your corned beef. I am anxiously awaiting mine. :)
    I am going to the mall with my daughter today. I should get in plenty of walking.
    My crocuses are up, spring is here! :)
    Enjoy your Sunday! :)
  • eku0
    Good morning!
    Jo, I never heard of red or gray corned beef! ? I skip all the starches with it, but I also love cooked cabbage. :)
    I never liked working late either....except when I was in college, it wasn't so bad, and then it didn't interfere with my classes. I think I would be exhausted by 5p.m.! I used to hit a slump at 3. Enjoy your walking today and your corned beef tomorrow. I'm sure it will be delicious. :)
    Our crocuses have been up for about a week. Some of our daffodils bloomed this week. :smiley: Yay! Spring!
    50s and rain forecast for today, and much of this week...more like April showers.
    Happy Sunday, everyone. :)
  • eku0
    Also, surprisingly, no weight gain from corned beef (it was a little salty, even though I tried to minimize by rinsing away the juices)....so that definitely puts dairy on my suspect list.
  • IreneMurman
    hi all, it has been a lazy day here we took Annie for a walk threw veterans park it was nice tried to lay down and take a nap but they have st pat parade going on so it was too much noise so I am up which is a good thing this way I should sleep tonight had a real hard time falling a sleep knee was hurting so I am back to wearing my knee brace see if that helps . We did stop off at dunkin donuts and yea I was bad but it was really good so now I need to behave and no more junk food. I do have in almost 7000 steps I should meet my goal today well hope everyone is having a nice day if you have any ideas for the pain in my knee I am open to trying new stuff
  • Joanne3366
    Vix-here is the difference between gray and red corned beef.
    http://www.ehow.com/info_8099009_differences-red-gray-corned-beef.html
  • eku0
    Thanks, Jo....I never knew that. I also found a web site that has a recipe for making your own corned beef if you don't want the nitrates. I don't think I've even seen the gray corned beef around here. They said it's mostly available in New England.
    Irene, sorry your knee is still hurting...can you take Ibuprofin or Alleve?
    Raining here all day.
    Cleaned the bathrooms, did some laundry, went out and walked around the mall.
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I went walking today. It was around A nice day when I left and warming rapidly. Today is supposed to be in the upper 50s to 60 for a high temperature :) Tomorrows forecast is for rain. I got a later start than usual due to the change to Daylight Saving Time.

I just realized I missed posting earlier and now I have no time :)
    I will have to update and respond to Your Questions tomorrow.

Have a Good Sunday Evening
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I'm back for a few minutes while I have a little time waiting for my brother :)
    Roger
    eku0 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Jo, you always do so much! Make me feel lazy too. :)
    Irene, hope you had a nice walk, and that your knee starts feeling better.
    Roger, oops....already went out today, bought and cooked and ate some corned beef and cabbage! It was yummy. I rinsed it well before I cooked it, did not cook it in it's "juices", threw those out. I just put it in the pot with the seasoning, covered it in water and let it boil then added the cabbage and let it all cook for a couple of hours. It probably still had a lot of salt, but I'll drink a lot of water if it stays with me. I was really craving that corned beef! :)
    Didn't do much else today, couple of loads of laundry, PT exercise, watered the houseplants.

Hi Vix
    We did that plus changed the cooking water part way through the cooking process.
    I know it tasted good a a change.

I used some of the leftover Corned beef yesterday as my Lunch and my Dinner. I used three ounces 150 calories according to the label in a sandwich made with two slices of 7 Grain bread at 45 calories per slice and a I also used a Limited Extra of 1000 island dressing in the sandwich and it was so tasty.
    Good morning!
    Jo, I never heard of red or gray corned beef! ? I skip all the starches with it, but I also love cooked cabbage. :)
    I never liked working late either....except when I was in college, it wasn't so bad, and then it didn't interfere with my classes. I think I would be exhausted by 5p.m.! I used to hit a slump at 3. Enjoy your walking today and your corned beef tomorrow. I'm sure it will be delicious. :)
    Our crocuses have been up for about a week. Some of our daffodils bloomed this week. :smiley: Yay! Spring!
    50s and rain forecast for today, and much of this week...more like April showers.
    Happy Sunday, everyone. :)

You are ahead of me in some ways, I have had Snowdrops in bloom for a while, the Crocuses seem to be done already, I can see the buds showing in the Daffodils and Hyacinths and that is it.
    Also, surprisingly, no weight gain from corned beef (it was a little salty, even though I tried to minimize by rinsing away the juices)....so that definitely puts dairy on my suspect list.

What effect are You suspecting is caused by the dairy? Did I miss something?
    Thanks, Jo....I never knew that. I also found a web site that has a recipe for making your own corned beef if you don't want the nitrates. I don't think I've even seen the gray corned beef around here. They said it's mostly available in New England.
    Irene, sorry your knee is still hurting...can you take Ibuprofin or Alleve?
    Raining here all day.
    Cleaned the bathrooms, did some laundry, went out and walked around the mall.

Hi It just started raining as I was getting ready for my Dinner around 7PM. The forecast is looking ugly for overnight and into tomorrow unless You love the rain. I do not mind it unless it interferes with my walking. OTOH I have a suspicion I am due for a down day from walking.\

Cheers
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good morning;
    I hope everyone remembered to set their clocks ahead.
    Roger-When I cook corned beef,I also have potatoes, turnip, carrots and cabbage. That is how my mom used to cook it. BTW do you use red or gray corned beef? I always use gray. I think of red as a deli sandwich on rye bread with mustard. :) I am cooking mine tomorrow. I am going to skip the soda bread this year.
    I do not like working the late shift, by 5pm I was so tired and still had 2 more hours to go. :(
    Irene-I hope the ice helps your knee.
    Vix-Glad you enjoyed your corned beef. I am anxiously awaiting mine. :)
    I am going to the mall with my daughter today. I should get in plenty of walking.
    My crocuses are up, spring is here! :)
    Enjoy your Sunday! :)

Hi Joanne
    I see to remember we had this discussion regarding Red or Gray Corned Beef before?

Have You ever tried the CB with the 1000 Island as I mentioned above?

I agree it seems that Spring has Sprung

Cheers
    Roger
    hi all, it has been a lazy day here we took Annie for a walk threw veterans park it was nice tried to lay down and take a nap but they have st pat parade going on so it was too much noise so I am up which is a good thing this way I should sleep tonight had a real hard time falling a sleep knee was hurting so I am back to wearing my knee brace see if that helps . We did stop off at dunkin donuts and yea I was bad but it was really good so now I need to behave and no more junk food. I do have in almost 7000 steps I should meet my goal today well hope everyone is having a nice day if you have any ideas for the pain in my knee I am open to trying new stuff

Hi Irene
    I have been there and done that, Working in a Knee brace, Not the best way to do it. I hope that gets better Quickly.

FWIW I can go to Dunkin Donuts for a Extra Large Black unsweetened coffee and one of the lower calorie donuts and be out the door at 260 to 270 calories. That would be the French Cruller or Glazed Donut 260 calories or a Jelly Donut 270 calories, I do avoid the Coffee Roll at 390 calories however :)

I would just call it my breakfast by adding a protein (SC) when I get home.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, it is raining here sounds like it is going to be raining here all day .vix I do take aleve but sometimes that is not enough for some reason this time I am in a lot of pain hopefully it gets better. I slept great last night most the time on Sunday nights I have a hard time but not last night well gotta go to work stay dry
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Raining here too....supposed to rain most of the week.
    Irene, I hear you about still hurting. Have you ever checked with a rheumatologist? I know I still hurt after medications, but there may be more going on with you. Glad you got a good nights sleep, and hope you start feeling better soon.
    Roger, I'm trying to figure out what foods I'm sensitive too....I retain fluids for no apparent reason some days, so I'm trying to relate it to diet and exercise. I was 3 pounds heavier after a day when I ate more dairy than usual (cheese and cottage cheese), and it went away after the next day when I had no dairy. I also sometimes wake up in the middle of the night feeling not right, little bit of queasy stomach or swelling hands and feet or odd pains here and there. If I can figure out what's triggering these things, I could help myself more than taking meds. I would like to improve my health naturally, if possible.
    Jo, hope you had a nice weekend.
    Have a wonderful day, everyone. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I Have not gone walking, yet, I am trying to decide if I want to go later, it will depend on the weather and whether I decide to make today that off day from walking I had been thinking of taking for a while. Currently it is raining and the weather radar shows that it will be raining for a while.

I was not 100% On Plan Saturday due to eating a fresh baked Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffin from my brothers baking that day. It was still slightly warm and really moist, Tasty.

Have a Great Day
    Roger
    good morning, it is raining here sounds like it is going to be raining here all day .vix I do take aleve but sometimes that is not enough for some reason this time I am in a lot of pain hopefully it gets better. I slept great last night most the time on Sunday nights I have a hard time but not last night well gotta go to work stay dry

Hi Irene
    The News12 weather report shows me that today is quite likely a good day to stay inside and be dry. It just does not look like 8:05 in the morning outside.

Good Luck with the pain
    Roger
    Good morning.
    Raining here too....supposed to rain most of the week.
    Irene, I hear you about still hurting. Have you ever checked with a rheumatologist? I know I still hurt after medications, but there may be more going on with you. Glad you got a good nights sleep, and hope you start feeling better soon.
    Roger, I'm trying to figure out what foods I'm sensitive too....I retain fluids for no apparent reason some days, so I'm trying to relate it to diet and exercise. I was 3 pounds heavier after a day when I ate more dairy than usual (cheese and cottage cheese), and it went away after the next day when I had no dairy. I also sometimes wake up in the middle of the night feeling not right, little bit of queasy stomach or swelling hands and feet or odd pains here and there. If I can figure out what's triggering these things, I could help myself more than taking meds. I would like to improve my health naturally, if possible.
    Jo, hope you had a nice weekend.
    Have a wonderful day, everyone. :)

Hi Vix
    I suppose You could be sensitive to dairy, usually that causes Bloating due to intestinal gas.

I do not use lots of dairy anymore myself. The occasional 1/2 slice of Velveeta 40 calories per slice on a sandwich. Today for Dinner I will be using the last of the NS Hickory Smoked Dinner patties that I pulled from the freezer. They were there until I could figure out the best way to deal with that taste. What I have come up with is rinse off the fat, then boil for a couple of minutes to get rid of most of the terrible smoke taste, Use a Limited Extra of ketchup on the 45 calorie per slice 7 grain bread and they are OK. My Other use of Dairy is when I have the NS or equivalent cereal with 4 ounces of 1% UHT Milk. I have two quarts of that in the pantry waiting until I get the urge for cereal. The shortest use by date is in December of this year. For $1 per at the dollar store they are a good deal as no pre-planning is needed to buy them fresh for when I want to use them and they keep good in the refrigerator after opening.

I find that Chinese for example makes me retain water, The Corned Beef did to a lesser extent than the Chinese does :) The Diner food causes that too. I have tried eating a On Plan Breakfast at two different diners and they must use a lot of salt on the eggs since the next day, blammo I'm up a fair amount, if the word fair can be applied to water weight :)

Have a nice day and stay dry
    Roger
  • eku0
    edited March 2016
    I gave up on Chinese a while ago. Even when I ask for no MSG, it still bloats me up for 3 days.
    Very hard figuring out everything, and I've already cut out a lot of foods. Oh, well. I should be losing weight....but no, not happening. I struggle with just maintaining.
    Went to yoga this morning and have a massage this afternoon. That should make me feel better. :)
  • IreneMurman
    good morning,well on our walk this morning we found 1 cent. I was bad over the weekend I didn't even get on the scale maybe tomorrow I will get on . Well it looks like it stopped raining .Every day I go in more people are gone not sure why but what they are doing is moving people from other departments into pick these people are not happy and they have no choice and it is for good a lot of unhappy people not sure what is going on ? well need to go to work hope you all have a fun day
  • eku0
    Good morning!
    Good luck at work, Irene....doesn't sound like fun. I'm not sure if it's stopped raining here or not...very wet out and the skies are completely overcast.
    Clay class today. I found a real class that starts in April, have to see if/when my buddy wants to go with me, there are different days and times.
    Have a happy day. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I never did get out yesterday for a walk. It just did not look that good out. Every-time it would look like it was done raining it would startup again, then the breeze picked up putting wind chills in the low 30s. Between the wind chill and wind blown rain I stayed home.

I walked 8.5K steps today. I picked up a couple of things at the local market. I can not find nutrition information on the Internet for DiDi Puddings, The Label shows 93kcal per serving. I know that can not be right, As I understand it that would be 93,000 calories in the under 4 ounce cup. Pure sugar would not be that high. I am thinking it means 93 calories and something got mangled between the maker and the label printer :) 93 calories and the rest of the label make me think it will work as a SC.

Just for Fun:
    What month has 28 days?
    All of them :)

Have a Great Tuesday
    Roger
    I gave up on Chinese a while ago. Even when I ask for no MSG, it still bloats me up for 3 days.
    Very hard figuring out everything, and I've already cut out a lot of foods. Oh, well. I should be losing weight....but no, not happening. I struggle with just maintaining.
    Went to yoga this morning and have a massage this afternoon. That should make me feel better. :)

Hi Vix
    My problem is I do like some Chinese once in a while. Things that You would think are fairly healthy for You such as a egg roll are not despite all the vegetables inside due to being deep fried, Once I looked them up I went "Of Course" :)
    So I just have them once in a blue moon an accept the loss of a weeks weight loss progress.
    A lot of which has to be water weight anyway since it comes on quickly and leaves over a couple of days.
    Good morning!
    Good luck at work, Irene....doesn't sound like fun. I'm not sure if it's stopped raining here or not...very wet out and the skies are completely overcast.
    Clay class today. I found a real class that starts in April, have to see if/when my buddy wants to go with me, there are different days and times.
    Have a happy day. :)

It seems to have stopped raining overnight, things were still wet outside when I left around 7:50. I did take a folding umbrella with me and did not need it, Now the roads look dry. Hopefully tomorrow is nicer outside. Plans are to go walking and the supermarket for some Greek Yogurt, frozen vegetables, and some fruits so far. I want to take a look at their protein shakes as I would like to replace the NS Strawberry Protein Shake. I eat a banana and have a protein shake every day.

Enjoy the Day
    Roger
    good morning,well on our walk this morning we found 1 cent. I was bad over the weekend I didn't even get on the scale maybe tomorrow I will get on . Well it looks like it stopped raining .Every day I go in more people are gone not sure why but what they are doing is moving people from other departments into pick these people are not happy and they have no choice and it is for good a lot of unhappy people not sure what is going on ? well need to go to work hope you all have a fun day

Hi Irene
    I found a penny too. Strangely enough It was right at the end of my mornings walk less than a block from the house :)

It sounds as if they are reducing the labor force and keeping the best for now. Then they will hire more for the Christmas shopping season once again. Some bean counter probably figured out that getting rid of people now and hiring with the training expense will still be cheaper or else they are planning on automating the order picking process.

Good Luck at work and with the scale
    Roger
  • eku0
    I can't figure out what I ate yesterday that set me back...????
    Anyhow, girls' night got postponed from last Thursday to tonight, so I get to go out! Yay! :)
    Have a good evening, everyone. :)