Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,162 Member
    good afternoon awesome news Vix hopefully you will be fine. I am getting a second a option on a new knee replacement the Dr feels I am too young for one I have 2 apt coming up one on the 5 and the other is 26 both are in may just want to see what they say. He did give me a cortizone shot for the pain ,I am out of work until the 6 of may
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good evening;
    Irene-I hope the Cortizone injection helps. I have know people that were your age or younger that had knee replacements. I believe my mom had hers when she was 60.
    Roger-The Acapella group was very good. The three singers looked like they were sisters.
    Those pennies look like you dug them out of the ground.
    Vix-I hope stopping red meat and alcohol will help. Yeah for being off medication.
    It was warm enough for me to go out in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. :) I am off work until Tuesday. Tomorrow I am going with my daughter to look for a new car for her. If it doesn't rain I will do some gardening in the morning.
    Have a good night and a great weekend. :)
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,369 Member
    Good morning.
    Irene, hope the cortizone helps....good idea to get another opinion.
    Jo...hope you enjoy your time off. Nice to spend time with your daughter. :)
    Hi Roger!
    It's currently raining, but supposed to stop. We're going with friends to DC today to the Smithsonian Craft Show. Should be fun.
    Happy Saturday! :)
  • Joanne3366
    Good morning;
    Vix-Enjoy the craft show.
    It was raining when I got up, but has since stopped, hopefully the sun will come out later.
    Enjoy your Saturday! :)
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    When I checked the weather report at 7AM it was showing that my area is in a clear spot with rain to the east and west so I decided to go walking + 1 Cent and 8900 steps :) It did drizzle for a few blocks on the outbound leg so I popped up the umbrella and ended up furling it and hanging it back on the Backpack for the rest of the walk.

I swung by the Grocery Store for a Box of breakfast cereal, I had intended to look at the Puffed Wheat and see if it would work for NS, Strangely I did not see it or Puffed Rice, I did pick up the Post Shredded Wheat Bite Size, it is 210 calories for 55 grams so I figure I can reduce the serving size to get it in the proper range of calories.

I may have to water tomorrow as so far the weather report is showing 0.05 inches of rain, it will depend on if and how much more comes today.

Have a Great Weekend
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    good afternoon awesome news Vix hopefully you will be fine. I am getting a second a option on a new knee replacement the Dr feels I am too young for one I have 2 apt coming up one on the 5 and the other is 26 both are in may just want to see what they say. He did give me a cortizone shot for the pain ,I am out of work until the 6 of may

Hi Irene
    OTOH if the knee is damaged? Did the doctor say what was causing the pain? I know that back in the 90s I had to have Knee surgery for a torn cartilage. It had been causing pain for years and the surgery cleared that up.

I hope the injection helps.
    Good Luck with the second opinions
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good evening;
    Irene-I hope the Cortizone injection helps. I have know people that were your age or younger that had knee replacements. I believe my mom had hers when she was 60.
    Roger-The Acapella group was very good. The three singers looked like they were sisters.
    Those pennies look like you dug them out of the ground.
    Vix-I hope stopping red meat and alcohol will help. Yeah for being off medication.
    It was warm enough for me to go out in a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops. :) I am off work until Tuesday. Tomorrow I am going with my daughter to look for a new car for her. If it doesn't rain I will do some gardening in the morning.
    Have a good night and a great weekend. :)

Hi Joanne
    TBH She is a one girl acapella group, From one video, She does all the editing too.
    You can see it can't possibly all be sisters from the Queen song linked on that page here:
    Bohemian Rhapsody - A Cappella - Multitrack
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LofL7aFNgB0

I actually found them all on the surface, No telling how long some of them were there before I spotted them :)

Good Luck with the car shopping, New or New to Your daughter, just curious. In My Family we are partial to American brands, I have owned AMC, Pontiac, Studebaker, and Buick over the years, My Brothers like Ford. I had the Pontiac from 1988 to 2014.

I was wishing for shorts when walking yesterday, today I put a thin long sleeve shirt over my T-shirt due to the temperature and mild breeze. Since I had my backpack I knew I could always stash it there if need be.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Good morning;
    Vix-Enjoy the craft show.
    It was raining when I got up, but has since stopped, hopefully the sun will come out later.
    Enjoy your Saturday! :)

We had a light rain overnight and so far the other rain that was supposed to come through is a no show. It is very cloudy but that is it, 70 degrees for a forecast high, much nicer than the low 80s yesterday. IMO April is too soon for temps in the 80s :)

Have a Good Day
    Roger
    eku0 wrote: »
    Good morning.
    Irene, hope the cortizone helps....good idea to get another opinion.
    Jo...hope you enjoy your time off. Nice to spend time with your daughter. :)
    Hi Roger!
    It's currently raining, but supposed to stop. We're going with friends to DC today to the Smithsonian Craft Show. Should be fun.
    Happy Saturday! :)

Hi
    You are close enough to do that, for me that would have been a overnight somewhat pricey trip taking into account tolls, Fuel and Overnight lodging.

Enjoy
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    hi the pain in my knee is part artricits and my knee is unstable so we shall see not crazy about having it replaced but everyone I talked to says it is the best thing they ever did so I plan on seeing 2 other drs and then I will see. Jo enjoy your days off .Vix the craft show sounds like fun.Roger good for you that you got your steps in I miss walking
  • RogerToo
    Hi Irene
    I believe Arthritis is a valid reason for knee replacement. My understanding is that the arthritic joint does not get better. In my family the person that had two knees replaced walked so much better and with much, much reduced pain, they were able to stop using a cane or a walker after the surgery.

I do not know if I would miss walking or if it has become a habit.

Good Luck
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, I am leaning toward getting a knee replacement I don't think my knee is going to be getting better on its own , I did google knee replacement and found a lot of info on it . My walks are really important that is our time to walk with my husband and of course Annie it has always been part of our morning and yes I agree it has been become a habit but a good one. As for our plans for today I think we are going to the bog Annie gets to swim and George throws sticks and she loves it .
  • RogerToo
    edited April 2016
    Hi
    Despite trying to maintain I did not succeed :), I was down 1/2 pound since last Sundays weigh in.

Not to much to say, I was walking 8600 steps, And I stopped at the dollar store for two quarts of milk to put on the pantry shelf to use with my breakfast cereals. I think I'll manage to use them before they expire March 16, 2017. The Nice thing is 8 ounces is 100 calories even though they are 1% milk.

The Weather this morning started off 23 degrees cooler than Yesterday, By the time I was on my homeward bound leg of the walk I shed the Outer layer, flannel jacket, it had warmed up that much that quickly :)

Tomorrow I will be eating my last Banana so Tuesday will be stop at the Grocery store or Produce store on my walk for more, I have four Apples left so they are good until I use the last one Wednesday at one a day.

Have a Great Sunday
    Roger
    good morning, I am leaning toward getting a knee replacement I don't think my knee is going to be getting better on its own , I did google knee replacement and found a lot of info on it . My walks are really important that is our time to walk with my husband and of course Annie it has always been part of our morning and yes I agree it has been become a habit but a good one. As for our plans for today I think we are going to the bog Annie gets to swim and George throws sticks and she loves it .

Hi Irene
    I am guessing that the Bog is not all mud and has areas of water. I agree that getting out and doing things with family is very important.

As with anything off of the Internet You have to double or triple check what You see. In my case as an example I checked several websites when I was trying to pin down what I should weigh for my Height, Age and Bone structure. I seem to be a large type :)

Anecdotal evidence does suggest that joint replacement works. Part of the trick of that is to not wait to long from what I hear. One of the workers at one of my banks is now off of a cane and getting around good after her hip replacements for example.

Good Luck with those second opinions
    Roger
  • eku0
    Hi all.
    The Smithsonian Craft Show was amazing! It was at the National Building Museum in D.C. All the craftspeople were juried, and there was quite a lot of museum quality work there...gorgeous pottery, embroidery work, metal work, paper work, etc. and an exhibit of some Chihuly glass pieces from a private collection (he won their award this year). We took the metro in and the stop was right across the street from the show. We had a late lunch at a really good tapas restaurant a few blocks away. It was a wonderful day.
    Unfortunately, shortly after we got home, Pete got really sick...gastro problems...we thought it might be food poisoning and so went to the emergency room. Good that we did, his blood pressure was really low, he was all dehydrated. Turns out there is also a nasty virus going around right now that comes on suddenly, and they thought it might be that. He was much better after an IV and some anti-nausea medicine. Will probably hang around another day or so. We didn't get home til almost 2 a.m., so I slept late this morning. Went out and picked up the anti-nausea medicine, some immodium, applesauce, etc. Will just hang around today and relax.
    The weather is gorgeous...hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy it. :)
  • Joanne3366
    Good evening;
    Vix-Sorry Pete is sick, I hope he feels better soon.
    Roger-congrats on losing 1/2 lb.
    Irene-good luck with your 2nd opinions.
    We went hiking today at Franconia Notch in New Hampshire. It was a little chilly, but a good workout.
    I think it will be an early night.
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, aw Vix so sorry Pete got sick hope he is feeling better.Yesterday the weather was great the area we go is up by ft Dix and has a lot of places we can go and of course Annie just loves it there I believe the name of it is White head so if you want to check it out it has a lot of wild life it has butterflies and geese we even saw this wild turkey it was huge of course there is no hunting but you can go fishing it is such a beautiful place it is great for nature walk /drive. I need to drop off papers at the drs office today and get my jeep clean we have all this sand in it from the weekend but that is pretty much all I have planned to do today. Jo your hike sounded nice.
  • eku0
    Good morning!
    Jo and Irene....sounds like you both had nice walks out in nature..how nice! I just walked around the neighborhood yesterday. The weather was great.
    Roger, congrats on losing another 1/2 pound! Yay!
    I'm doing my elimination diet....today I add in sugar and sweeteners to what I'm eliminating. I think I can still have a minimal amount, like in the sugar free shake mix, my gel to keep my mouth from getting too dry, and I think I can still have my one piece of very dark chocolate. :)
    I think this is working, but I haven't updated my weight yet. I've had a few odd days and want to make sure it isn't a fluke!
    Looks like another beautiful day, but going to get hot...up to the 80s!
    Have a great day, everyone. :)
  • Joanne3366
    Good morning;
    It is cool this morning and very cloudy. We have already been out in the yard planting flowers. We are now on our way to Home Depot to pick up a few more plants, a new hose reel and an outdoor extension cord, so we can plug in the electric bird bath.Vix-good luck on your weigh-in and the elimination diet.
    Irene-That sounds like an awesome place to walk in and observe nature.
    Hi Roger.
    Have a good day. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I decided to pick up my bananas today since there is a possibility of rain for tomorrow + 8700 Steps. While I was there I picked up some black Plums, I still have four days of apples in the refrigerator as well as 3 days of Clementines and I wanted a change. I was thinking of the Pears, however they were riper than I like so I got the plums instead. The Weather was great, I am starting to see Bearded Iris in bloom. I have not seen any Dutch Iris in years however.

Have a Great Week
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    Hi all.
    The Smithsonian Craft Show was amazing! It was at the National Building Museum in D.C. All the craftspeople were juried, and there was quite a lot of museum quality work there...gorgeous pottery, embroidery work, metal work, paper work, etc. and an exhibit of some Chihuly glass pieces from a private collection (he won their award this year). We took the metro in and the stop was right across the street from the show. We had a late lunch at a really good tapas restaurant a few blocks away. It was a wonderful day.
    Unfortunately, shortly after we got home, Pete got really sick...gastro problems...we thought it might be food poisoning and so went to the emergency room. Good that we did, his blood pressure was really low, he was all dehydrated. Turns out there is also a nasty virus going around right now that comes on suddenly, and they thought it might be that. He was much better after an IV and some anti-nausea medicine. Will probably hang around another day or so. We didn't get home til almost 2 a.m., so I slept late this morning. Went out and picked up the anti-nausea medicine, some immodium, applesauce, etc. Will just hang around today and relax.
    The weather is gorgeous...hope everyone gets a chance to enjoy it. :)
    Good morning!
    Jo and Irene....sounds like you both had nice walks out in nature..how nice! I just walked around the neighborhood yesterday. The weather was great.
    Roger, congrats on losing another 1/2 pound! Yay!
    I'm doing my elimination diet....today I add in sugar and sweeteners to what I'm eliminating. I think I can still have a minimal amount, like in the sugar free shake mix, my gel to keep my mouth from getting too dry, and I think I can still have my one piece of very dark chocolate. :)
    I think this is working, but I haven't updated my weight yet. I've had a few odd days and want to make sure it isn't a fluke!
    Looks like another beautiful day, but going to get hot...up to the 80s!
    Have a great day, everyone. :)

Hi Vix
    I am sorry to hear that Pete came home ill and needed to go to the ER. On the bright side it sounds as if You enjoyed the trip itself.

Hopefully it is working and not a fluke. I would be lost as to what to have without sweeteners, they end up in 90%+ of the foods these days, be they Sugar or whatever name they are hiding them under. 100% sweeteners in the NS Desserts I am sure.

Good Luck
    Roger
    Good evening;
    Vix-Sorry Pete is sick, I hope he feels better soon.
    Roger-congrats on losing 1/2 lb.
    Irene-good luck with your 2nd opinions.
    We went hiking today at Franconia Notch in New Hampshire. It was a little chilly, but a good workout.
    I think it will be an early night.
    Good morning;
    It is cool this morning and very cloudy. We have already been out in the yard planting flowers. We are now on our way to Home Depot to pick up a few more plants, a new hose reel and an outdoor extension cord, so we can plug in the electric bird bath.Vix-good luck on your weigh-in and the elimination diet.
    Irene-That sounds like an awesome place to walk in and observe nature.
    Hi Roger.
    Have a good day. :)

Hi Joanne
    Thank You for the Congrats.

We plan to go to Home Depot or Lowes for something to edge the walk that the Mower wheels can run on. The Sidewalks are lower than the lawn in the front yard.

Electric Bird bath? What does it do besides sit there with water that needs electric?

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    good morning, aw Vix so sorry Pete got sick hope he is feeling better.Yesterday the weather was great the area we go is up by ft Dix and has a lot of places we can go and of course Annie just loves it there I believe the name of it is White head so if you want to check it out it has a lot of wild life it has butterflies and geese we even saw this wild turkey it was huge of course there is no hunting but you can go fishing it is such a beautiful place it is great for nature walk /drive. I need to drop off papers at the drs office today and get my jeep clean we have all this sand in it from the weekend but that is pretty much all I have planned to do today. Jo your hike sounded nice.

Hi Irene
    It sounds like a Great area to visit :)

Would You believe we have Wild Turkeys here in town, Also in North Jersey and Staten Island. In both of those areas they are a problem. People in north NJ have been complaining about the Turkeys chasing them.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
  • eku0
    My biggest challenge with sweeteners is diet soda and coffee creamer. Have to give that up, but I understand it's not that great for us anyway. Next is any kind of dessert. If possible I'd like to make the change with the diet sodas permanent.
    Jo, seems like a nice day to work in the yard. We have a plain bird bath that we've had for a long time. I guess your electric one will circulate water? I know we have to refill it a lot when it gets really warm out.
    Roger, I hope it's not too hard for me to give up the sweeteners. I've already given up a lot of processed food, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I'm sure that extra dark chocolate will taste even better! :)
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, sounds like everyone is doing good. Vix I wouldn't even know where to star we don't drink a lot of soda when we do it is diet coke. George did give up sugar and he did loose a lot of weight . As far as the dark chocolate not a fan I perfer milk chocolate . Getting ready to place a new ns order .
  • eku0
    Good morning!
    Irene, dark chocolate is an acquired taste! Milk chocolate is much sweeter. :)
    I usually only have one diet soda a day, but it was a nice treat. Water gets pretty bland. I have to find a good herbal tea to satisfy that taste. I have a berry tea, but I don't really like the taste of this particular one.
    I had roasted chicken and a handful of grapes last night (not my usual) and weight was up 1.5 this morning...pretty crazy....I surely hope I can figure this out.
    Anyway...busy pottery day for me today. Supposed to be thunderstorms later, and hot...up to 82 expected.
    Wishing everyone a fun day. :)