Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi
    I walked 8700 steps + 3 Cents today :) I was out early today and the overnight rain was gone long enough that the Streets & Sidewalks were drying out. More rain in the forecast for later today. It was in the 50s at the time I left the house. No need to water anything today. More rain in the forecast for later Thursday into Friday. So far it looks like I'll be dry for Wednesday & Thursdays walk, Not sure about Friday yet as that will depend on when the rain ends.

Have a Nice Tuesday
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    eku0 wrote: »
    My biggest challenge with sweeteners is diet soda and coffee creamer. Have to give that up, but I understand it's not that great for us anyway. Next is any kind of dessert. If possible I'd like to make the change with the diet sodas permanent.
    Jo, seems like a nice day to work in the yard. We have a plain bird bath that we've had for a long time. I guess your electric one will circulate water? I know we have to refill it a lot when it gets really warm out.
    Roger, I hope it's not too hard for me to give up the sweeteners. I've already given up a lot of processed food, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I'm sure that extra dark chocolate will taste even better! :)
    Good morning!
    Irene, dark chocolate is an acquired taste! Milk chocolate is much sweeter. :)
    I usually only have one diet soda a day, but it was a nice treat. Water gets pretty bland. I have to find a good herbal tea to satisfy that taste. I have a berry tea, but I don't really like the taste of this particular one.
    I had roasted chicken and a handful of grapes last night (not my usual) and weight was up 1.5 this morning...pretty crazy....I surely hope I can figure this out.
    Anyway...busy pottery day for me today. Supposed to be thunderstorms later, and hot...up to 82 expected.
    Wishing everyone a fun day. :)

Hi Vix
    Giving up Desserts would be hard for me with my sweet taste buds :)

Since I take my Coffee or Tea plain with no creamer or sweetener giving them up in beverages would not be hard, I grew up with Black Unsweetened Coffee as did the rest o my Siblings so that is how I am used to drinking it. OTOH I could not eat cereal for Breakfast without Sugar or a sweetener.

Thunderstorms are in my forecast for later today here too.

I can eat both types of Chocolate.

1.5 pounds in one day has to be something making You retain water, No way You could eat enough calories to put 1.5 pounds of weight on in one day.

Have a Great Day
    Roger
    good morning, sounds like everyone is doing good. Vix I wouldn't even know where to star we don't drink a lot of soda when we do it is diet coke. George did give up sugar and he did loose a lot of weight . As far as the dark chocolate not a fan I perfer milk chocolate . Getting ready to place a new ns order .

Hi Irene
    FWIW I have now tried the three new frozen dinners and was completely underwhelmed. Those frozen dinners would be the Beef and Broccoli with Orzo - Bland and I have simple taste buds, Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo, and the Chicken and Vegetable Stir-Fry. Since I do not eat Peppers the Chicken & Roasted Vegetables is not a favorite either.

If I do drink soda it is a diet soda too.

FWIW Costco still has the $100 face value Gift cards on sale until April 30 for $59.99 if You did not order and do not have any You could order them to save some money.
    $20 manufacturer’s discount is valid 4/11/16 through 4/30/16. While supplies last.
    Online Price $79.99
    Less -$20.00
    Your Price $59.99
    Shipping & Handling Included

Good Luck and have a good day
    Roger
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,369 Member
    About the 1.5 pounds...right, has to be fluid. That's why I'm doing this elimination diet to figure out what does that to me. I'm only on day 5, so we'll see. I think I'll have the chicken again today, and see if that might have anything to do with it, won't have the grapes...those were the only 2 things I normally don't eat...actually I do normally eat chicken, but grilled, not roasted. I'm going to cut out the coffee probably sometime next week, and I don't usually use the creamer, just once in a while...but that'll make it a moot issue. I know I'll miss the coffee. Have to find an herbal tea I really like. The diet recommends hot water with lemon...maybe.
  • Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good afternoon
    Roger-The electric bird bath has a bubbler in the middle.The birds love it.
    Vix-I am not fond of the berry herbal teas. I like green tea with mint or lemon.
    I haven't had any soda since I started NS. I drink water, tea and occasional iced tea, no sugar.
    It was raining here this morning and now seems to have tapered off and it is chilly.
    I am waiting for my son to finish tea(dinner) and then we are going to skype.
    Have a good evening. :)
  • eku0
    Hi Jo, have fun skyping. :) I'm not that fond of berry teas either, nor of green tea. I just drank coffee and water today (and a shake for breakfast). I am so tired after that wheel class!
    Have a good night, everyone. :)
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,162 Member
    good morning,wow we had a big storm yesterday got a lot of rain that we needed today it is cold outside only in the 50's compared to the weather Sunday was in the 80's I think for the next 2 days there is a chance of rain. I did do my ns order but I don't get the frozen I never have any space in my freezers it should be here in a couple of days .
  • RogerToo
    edited April 2016
    Hi
    It was two degrees cooler this morning, Not to bad for walking + 8600 steps, I was slightly chilled when I started out until I warmed up, Lots of clouds so far. Three Stops today, Post Office, 7-Eleven & the Dollar Store for a quart of whole milk good until March 27, 2017 at 150 calories per 8 oz portion and of course $1 per quart. That makes it 150 calories for 8 ounces vs 100 calories for the 1% and 120 calories for the 2%. I have three quarts of the 1%, 2 on the shelf and one chilled for use with today's Breakfast cereal. The Whole Milk is in case my Brother who will not use anything less needs some milk in his cooking.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited April 2016
    About the 1.5 pounds...right, has to be fluid. That's why I'm doing this elimination diet to figure out what does that to me. I'm only on day 5, so we'll see. I think I'll have the chicken again today, and see if that might have anything to do with it, won't have the grapes...those were the only 2 things I normally don't eat...actually I do normally eat chicken, but grilled, not roasted. I'm going to cut out the coffee probably sometime next week, and I don't usually use the creamer, just once in a while...but that'll make it a moot issue. I know I'll miss the coffee. Have to find an herbal tea I really like. The diet recommends hot water with lemon...maybe.
    Hi Jo, have fun skyping. :) I'm not that fond of berry teas either, nor of green tea. I just drank coffee and water today (and a shake for breakfast). I am so tired after that wheel class!

Hi Vix
    Just curious regarding the roasted chicken, Could it have been one of those ones they sell that has a basting solution injected into it, like what they do with the Butterball Turkeys or been rubbed with salt before cooking in the store? Many places use salt to enhance flavor. Grapes should not do it :)

I do not know if Hot water with lemon would appeal to me.

What I did with teas is buy a Sampler Pack to see which ones I liked. I believe The ones I bought were from Bigelow. They show 10 pages of flavors in the link below, I bet You can find some to try that way.
    https://www.bigelowtea.com/Shop-Teas/All

I hope You had a good Night sleep
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good afternoon
    Roger-The electric bird bath has a bubbler in the middle.The birds love it.
    Vix-I am not fond of the berry herbal teas. I like green tea with mint or lemon.
    I haven't had any soda since I started NS. I drink water, tea and occasional iced tea, no sugar.
    It was raining here this morning and now seems to have tapered off and it is chilly.
    I am waiting for my son to finish tea(dinner) and then we are going to skype.
    Have a good evening. :)

Hi Joanne
    I have never been a fan of Iced Tea or Iced Coffee TBH :)

Interesting that they like a Bubbler, I wonder where they find such a thing in nature.

Thank You for the Information
    Roger
    good morning,wow we had a big storm yesterday got a lot of rain that we needed today it is cold outside only in the 50's compared to the weather Sunday was in the 80's I think for the next 2 days there is a chance of rain. I did do my ns order but I don't get the frozen I never have any space in my freezers it should be here in a couple of days .

Hi Irene
    I think I would be lost without a separate Freezer, We tend to stock up with things that are sale. With Small Freezers having a starting price under $200 they seemed affordable to me when I got the current one. I did get a Chest type to replace the old Upright model we got rid of however.

We had a Little rain overnight into Tuesday, By the time I got out walking it was long gone and never returned where I am, I did see where South Jersey got more rain. A big Storm, wow.

With the NS Order I order a lot of frozen and then add Shelf Stable A La Carte.

Have a Good Day
    Roger
  • eku0
    Good morning!
    It rained a little overnight here too....some rain and colder temps for the next few days.
    Roger, I cooked the chicken myself, it was hormone free, cage free. I didn't check to see that they added anything else....I guess I presumed it would be just a plain chicken. Next time I will check more carefully.
    I had some of the Bigelow teas when we were on vacation....they were pretty good. I'll buy a sample pack next time we go shopping. Good idea! Thanks.
    Tired and achy today. Need to go to the library, and I want to pick up some Epsom salts for a nice hot healing bath. I also need to frame some of my pics for the next Sr. Center show. I'm supposed to have them ready for tomorrow.
    Have a Wonderful day, everyone. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi Vix
    I have to agree, most likely not the Chicken in that case, OTOH I can not see Grapes causing that either.

I liked the Bigelow teas so good luck with the samples.

I have used Epsom Salts in the past to soak my feet.

Good Luck with the Senior Show.
    Roger
  • Joanne3366
    Good afternoo60n;
    We got the rain yesterday. Today it is nice and sunny and 60 degrees.
    I am doing laundry and catching up on some paperwork.
    Vix-Epson salts works wonders. :) I like the Twinnings teas better than the Bigelow.
    I had a good chat with my son and daughter-in-law yesterday. :)
    Have a good day. :)
  • eku0
    edited April 2016
    Glad you had a good chat, Jo. :) I worked on framing a couple of pictures, then went out to Walmart to pick up the Epsom salts...they didn't have much tea, so I stopped at TJMaxx on the way back and found some caffeine free rooibos tea with chocolate and mint flavoring. Sounds good to me. :) I'll try it tonight.
  • Joanne3366
    Good morning;
    Vix-I hope you enjoy your tea. :)
    I am going out today to buy a new hot and cold water machine. Our old one has been making loud noises and hubby thinks it is time to replace it.
    Still a little chilly here, hope it warms up later. I would like to work in my yard.
    Have a wonderful day! :)
  • eku0
    Good morning!
    Chilly here too, Jo....in the 50s and cloudy/rainy.
    The hot bath last night was great for the achiness. I overdid it a bit, was kind of dizzy when I got out, but drank 3 glasses of cold water and felt better. And my new tea was good, very minty, but not unpleasantly so. Cutting out fruit today.
    Painting class this morning, and chiropractor this afternoon.
    Have a great day, everyone. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    7800 steps today + 5 Cents. I picked up Bananas, Apples & Plums etc. at the Grocery Store on the inbound leg of my walk. It was around the same temperature as yesterday too. Some rain in the forecast, The Weather report showed around .1 inches expected to fall.

Rototiller use in the near future after I have my breakfast shortly :) While I till the plan is for my brother to dig the raised garden beds in the back yard.

Have a Nice Thursday
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, well kinda having a lazy day so far , didn't do anything yet but Annie will be wanting a walk soon even if it is just a little one. Jo what kind of washer are you looking for the front loader looks cool .I know in 2 years when we move I will probably replace mine ,they will be 21 years old so I am thinking it will be time.Vix ,George orders his tea on line he likes the them with some flaver but no extra sugar not sure of the name I will look into it for you. Well Annie is going to want her little walk soon
  • RogerToo
    Good afternoo60n;
    We got the rain yesterday. Today it is nice and sunny and 60 degrees.
    I am doing laundry and catching up on some paperwork.
    Vix-Epson salts works wonders. :) I like the Twinnings teas better than the Bigelow.
    I had a good chat with my son and daughter-in-law yesterday. :)
    Have a good day. :)
    Good morning;
    Vix-I hope you enjoy your tea. :)
    I am going out today to buy a new hot and cold water machine. Our old one has been making loud noises and hubby thinks it is time to replace it.
    Still a little chilly here, hope it warms up later. I would like to work in my yard.
    Have a wonderful day! :)

Hi Joanne
    As for the different brands of teas I think both brands have some that are better than the other :)

I am guessing that the Hot & Cold water machine is what I would call a cooler that also supplies hot water? They work good for Teas. We did have one at work, however strangely to me the Hot water portion went out before the cold water part. Have You looked at the machine, I would suspect that the noise is from a fan that could need oiling or replacing less expensively than replacing the entire thing, Unless it is old enough that a new one would use a lot less energy?

It is chilly currently and not supposed to really warm up as the clouds have moved in.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Glad you had a good chat, Jo. :) I worked on framing a couple of pictures, then went out to Walmart to pick up the Epsom salts...they didn't have much tea, so I stopped at TJMaxx on the way back and found some caffeine free rooibos tea with chocolate and mint flavoring. Sounds good to me. :) I'll try it tonight.
    Good morning!
    Chilly here too, Jo....in the 50s and cloudy/rainy.
    The hot bath last night was great for the achiness. I overdid it a bit, was kind of dizzy when I got out, but drank 3 glasses of cold water and felt better. And my new tea was good, very minty, but not unpleasantly so. Cutting out fruit today.
    Painting class this morning, and chiropractor this afternoon.
    Have a great day, everyone. :)

Hi Vix
    TJ Maxx has tea? Who knew.... I see You enjoyed it. I have had teas with mint added in from when it grew wild in the flower beds.

Nice that the hot bath helped, I wonder why the dizziness.

Are You going to have anything left the way You are cutting out foods? I would miss Fruits & Vegetables in my diet. I think I will have a Egg Salad for my Mid morning snack (Noontime actually) which is supposed to be a PF + a SC.

Have fun at the Painting class and I hope the Chiro visit is successful
    Roger
  • eku0
    Thanks, Irene...I'm looking for more herbal teas. :)
    Roger, it's a TJMaxx/Home Goods, but I think even the regular TJs have a small section of specialty items, and they change what they have a lot....I probably won't be able to find this tea there again.
    I think I got dizzy because I made it a little too hot and stayed in a little too long...got a little dehydrated....I was fine after having 3 glasses of cold water. :)
    I think by the time I get through the eliminations, I will have vegetables including legumes, herbs, nuts, seeds, and non-red meat and eggs that are hormone and antibiotic free. At that point, after 3 days, I can start adding things back in one at a time, once a day for 3 days. Hopefully I will learn if/how certain foods affect me. I am also keeping a temporary journal. I don't know how good I am at that, but I think any glaring changes will stand out.
  • IreneMurman
    sorry jo I thought you were talking about washing machines.
  • eku0
    Good morning!
    Off to zumba this morning....literally happy dance. :)
    Happy Friday. :)