Slower Weight loss at 50?

Replies

• Joanne3366
    Joanne3366 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Good evening;
    It is raining and it feels like winter instead of spring. :(
    After work today I went and got my hair colored and cut.
    Vix-it may take a little while for your hands to get use to the pottery wheel. I know when I started cutting fruit and veggies on a daily basis, my hands and wrists were very sore. Now it doesn't bother me any more.
    Roger-Woohoo on the discount. I have a list somewhere of all the places that give discounts. If I can find it I will post it.
    Irene-good luck tomorrow.
    Have a good evening. :)
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Hi Joanne
    I never buy that much at any one time as I have to carry it home from about 66% into my walk, but it is nice to have a savings.

If You find that list please do post it, However there is no need to go crazy looking for it, I do not do that much shopping.

It rained until around 7:45, I noticed it had stopped and went walking, then later in the day it has rained again. The day never did get that bright outside, it stayed cloudy and cool.

When I started a job doing a different type of manual labor it was all I could do to get out of bed the next day with all those unused muscles paining me.

Have a Nice Evening
    Roger
  • eku0
    eku0 Posts: 10,369 Member
    Good morning!
    Painting class today. Will either hang pictures or start a new project. We are having a reception for our new show next week. I'm not sure what I want to paint next.
    Another cloudy, chilly day here.
    The pottery teacher gave me some alternative hand positions that are helpful, and easier for me, so hopefully next time will be better. Tuesday also was one of my not so good days, which I have every once in a while, where everything hurts. So I'm just chalking it up. Bygones. I may go in Saturday and just practice some more. :)
    Have a good day, everyone. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    Not raining however in the 40s with a mist in the air, Generally a dreary looking day outside while walking + 6800 steps today. I walked to the Post Office to mail off a bill on the outward bound leg of my walk.

Nothing planned beyond doing laundry today, Whee, what a thrilling day I'll be having :)

Have a Nice Thursday
    Roger
    eku0 wrote: »
    Good morning!
    Painting class today. Will either hang pictures or start a new project. We are having a reception for our new show next week. I'm not sure what I want to paint next.
    Another cloudy, chilly day here.
    The pottery teacher gave me some alternative hand positions that are helpful, and easier for me, so hopefully next time will be better. Tuesday also was one of my not so good days, which I have every once in a while, where everything hurts. So I'm just chalking it up. Bygones. I may go in Saturday and just practice some more. :)
    Have a good day, everyone. :)

Hi Vix
    In My case I do get some joint pain in my hands when the weather is changing, Part of life so I have learned to live with it. In my case using the DVR remote exacerbates it from the multiple clicking for the 30 second skip I use when commercials come on. I also skip the teasers in the news broadcasts :) I guess I'm lucky I I don't text too.

That sounds like a helpful teacher, do the alternative hand positions affect how fast You can work or what You can do?

Enjoy the Painting class
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    IreneMurman Posts: 2,162 Member
    good morning,well today I go and get my 2nd option just hope there is something he can do so it doesn't hurt any more. Vix sorry to hear your hand is sore maybe the different position will help. Well took Annie for her walk it sure is cold outside it feels more like winter it now just hit 50 . Take care
  • RogerToo
    Hi Irene
    I hope You are lucky at the doctors too

I agree it is colder today, I wore warmer clothes and Glove to stay comfortable, Better weather is coming, it is just a question if when :)

Good Luck
    Roger
  • RogerToo
    edited May 2016
    Hi
    So now it isn't our fault? From here:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/05/04/obesity-could-be-contagious-like-superbug-cdiff-suggest-scientis/
    Obesity could be contagious like superbug C.diff, suggest scientists
    Obesity could be a contagious condition which spreads in the same way as bugs like C.diff, scientists have suggested.

A huge study of bacteria in the human gut has found that one third of species produce spores which survive in the open air and can potentially move between people.

Scientists now believe that many diseases and conditions, are triggered or exacerbated by changes in gut bacteria.

A decade ago, Washington University discovered that adding gut microbes from obese mice to thin mice caused huge gains in weight, a finding which has been replicated many times.

And more in the article

Comments?
    Roger
  • eku0
    Hi all.
    Good luck at the Dr. , Irene. :)
    Roger, the teacher is really nice. It's just simple changes like using my fist to push down the clay instead of my flat hand, using different fingers, a knuckle, or a sponge to pull up on the clay, etc.
    Interesting you should find that article. There are apparently a lot of things that are affected by the bacteria in your digestive tract. I hope they move ahead quickly on that research, it could help a lot of different problems and diseases.
  • Joanne3366
    Good afternoon;
    Light rain and raw out today.
    Interesting article, Roger. I wonder if they tried putting the gut microbes of thin mice into the obese mice, to make them thinner.
    Irene-How did you make out at the Dr. office?
    Vix-That is good that there are different ways to hold your hands to reduce stress on the joints. I hope it works for you.
    Roger-today is laundry day for me too.
    Have a great night. :)
  • RogerToo
    Hi all.
    Good luck at the Dr. , Irene. :)
    Roger, the teacher is really nice. It's just simple changes like using my fist to push down the clay instead of my flat hand, using different fingers, a knuckle, or a sponge to pull up on the clay, etc.
    Interesting you should find that article. There are apparently a lot of things that are affected by the bacteria in your digestive tract. I hope they move ahead quickly on that research, it could help a lot of different problems and diseases.

Hi Vix
    Glad to hear it was a simple change in the procedure that helps.

I wish I could find the article in Nature that they reference, the page I linked says at the end "The research was published in the journal Nature."

They are making some process in many things, maybe this one will happen too.

Cheers
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good afternoon;
    Light rain and raw out today.
    Interesting article, Roger. I wonder if they tried putting the gut microbes of thin mice into the obese mice, to make them thinner.
    Irene-How did you make out at the Dr. office?
    Vix-That is good that there are different ways to hold your hands to reduce stress on the joints. I hope it works for you.
    Roger-today is laundry day for me too.
    Have a great night. :)

Hi Joanne
    I think for that to work the Gut Microbes of the obese mice would have to be wiped out, I could also be completely wrong about that.

Well I got mine washed, dried & I even folded it while it was still warm :)

Cheers
    Roger
  • eku0
    Good morning.
    Another rainy day.
    Irene, hope you got good news from the doctor.
    Off to zumba in a few minutes.
    Enjoy your day.
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    7300 steps + 20 cents walking but not singing in the rain. It was actually not to bad out, so far the rain is light and steady with a mild breeze. I did gear up for it however with a rain jacket and pants and a Sun visor to keep the jackets hood up from covering much of my face when I tied the drawstrings on it. Without the Sun Visor it pulls down to eye level and blocks a fair amount of view to to sides. Not the safest way to walk across side streets.

Hopefully tomorrows weather will be better in the morning.

Have a Good Friday
    Roger
    Good morning.
    Another rainy day.
    Irene, hope you got good news from the doctor.
    Off to zumba in a few minutes.
    Enjoy your day.

Hi Vix
    Mos of the week has been rainy, I am starting to see Mushrooms in lawns as I walk from all the rain. The flowering trees are starting to lose their petals too. As I look out the window I see that the rain has picked up somewhat too.

Have a Safe Drive and Stay Dry
    Roger
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, it is really raining hard here. I need to go food shopping so I guess I will be putting my rain coat on. The DR has ordered a bone density test it is were they put dye in your viens it takes a couple of hours he thinks my acl is bad so the test will show everything
    hopefully we will find out what is going on . All I know is that it hurts.well need to get moving Vix hope your hand is feeling better
  • eku0
    Irene, I know it wasn't good news, but at least there's an action plan to find out what's wrong. That's progress.
    Roger, same here with the weather. Our white dogwood out front is gorgeous this year, full of flowers. The pink dogwood in back may be dead...no leaves or buds yet. I was hoping maybe it was just a late bloomer. Will give it a few more weeks....
    have a great day everyone....stay dry! :)
  • Joanne3366
    Good afternoon;
    Irene-When is your test? I hope you don't have to wait long.
    No rain today. The sun is actually shinning. :)
    Enjoy your day. :)
  • IreneMurman
    Jo I need to wait for the referral from my health insurance I am sure I will hear something next week. You are right at least they are making sure they are doing the right thing . It still is raining here I did get to Annie for a walk around the block hopefully I can get out again later.
  • eku0
    Good morning!
    Well, it's not raining....that's good. No sun yet, but one can hope. :)
    Happy Saturday!
  • IreneMurman
    good morning, already went for our walk so now I am just going to take it easy. still no sun
  • RogerToo
    Hi
    I go Misted on while walking 7500 steps. When I left the house everything was wet so I took a folding umbrella along just in case, 1/2 way through the walk things were starting to dry out slightly so if course it started misting and making things wet again :)

It was around 50 degrees out with a forecast high in the low 60s for later on.

Around here at least It has not been to bad walking, even yesterday when I got out early I was lucky that it was not too bad. Later in the day not to long after I got home the rain picked up and it got breezy. The Power went off for less than a minute. So of course I had to reset the clock on the Microwave and wait for the Satellite TV DVRs and Cable box to initialize. Most of the clocks are battery powered or have a battery backup fortunately.

Have Great Saturday
    Roger
    good morning, it is really raining hard here. I need to go food shopping so I guess I will be putting my rain coat on. The DR has ordered a bone density test it is were they put dye in your veins it takes a couple of hours he thinks my acl is bad so the test will show everything
    hopefully we will find out what is going on . All I know is that it hurts.well need to get moving Vix hope your hand is feeling better
    Jo I need to wait for the referral from my health insurance I am sure I will hear something next week. You are right at least they are making sure they are doing the right thing . It still is raining here I did get to Annie for a walk around the block hopefully I can get out again later.

Hi Irene
    It sounds as if things are moving along, however slowly it is still progress.

I hope You had a good Grocery run and are stocked up. With a Grocery store and a produce store as well as a Dollar Store that I pass on my walks I have switched to only buying a couple of days foods on any walk. That keeps the backpack I put the items into lighter and easier to carry.

Around here at least It has not been to bad walking, even yesterday when I got out early I was lucky that it was not too bad. Later in the day not to long after I got home the rain picked up and it got breezy. The Power went off for less than a minute. So of course I had to reset the clock on the Microwave and wait for the Satellite TV DVRs and Cable box to initialize. Most of the clocks are battery powered or have a battery backup fortunately.

Good Luck Getting a referral speedily and good results
    Roger
    Joanne3366 wrote: »
    Good afternoon;
    Irene-When is your test? I hope you don't have to wait long.
    No rain today. The sun is actually shinning. :)
    Enjoy your day. :)

Hi Jo
    I suspect that this weekend I might even see more than a dim glow through the clouds. They say Mothers day should start out cloudy and then become sunny later in the morning.

Have a Nice Day
    Roger
    Irene, I know it wasn't good news, but at least there's an action plan to find out what's wrong. That's progress.
    Roger, same here with the weather. Our white dogwood out front is gorgeous this year, full of flowers. The pink dogwood in back may be dead...no leaves or buds yet. I was hoping maybe it was just a late bloomer. Will give it a few more weeks....
    have a great day everyone....stay dry! :)

Hi Vix
    Hopefully the Dogwood is OK, although I would think it should be blooming by now. Did it look OK last year? You could try snipping a bit of branch and see if it looks alive or not.

On the good side at least we are not having bad flooding or Tornadoes here on the East Coast like they are having to our west.

Good Luck with the tree
    Roger
  • Joanne3366
    Good afternoon;
    It is still raining here off and on.
    Vix-I agree with Roger, I think your dogwood should have bloomed by now. Does it have any buds on it?
    Irene-You are a trouper, walking even when your knee hurts.
    I just got home from work and don't have anything planned for the rest of the day. I think I will be lazy for the rest of the afternoon.