The New Water Cooler

Replies

• angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Yesterday I had my first "Work at home" experience. I learned NOT to try to sign into the VPN program to connect to my computer at work, until my computer is fully booted up! It took nearly 15 minutes before I could get my computer working and get signed in. My computer at home is slower, most likely due to my internet connect. My desk is also much much smaller. I ended up tossing files on the floor as there was no room to stack the files I planned to work on for the day beside me, like I do at the office. It's going to take some adjustments.

The bus drivers union is calling for a 24 hour pause in service. This past week they reduced service. Nearly half the buses went on to their Saturday schedule (not the ones I use). This has left buses in the downtown core area being packed with people. It's impossible to do the social distancing we are supposed to do. If they do that, I hope it's a Saturday or Sunday, maybe Sunday would be the best day. Yes, it will impact key people that need to get to work, but I think it will impact less people if they do it on the weekend. I will have to work every day from home if they pull them completely. That 's something that will need to be worked out with my work if they do that, which I really hope they don't!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,344 Member
    The positives are you are employed and get paychecks. The negatives are you can't be home and staying away from others. It will probably be more expensive having kids home all day, eating when they are bored, etc. At least you provided healthy fruits and veggies and they ate them. Maybe tell them you are only going to the store one time per week or once every two weeks and they need to make it last. If it's gone, Bernie has to shop.

I canceled my Nutrisytem today. I lost 8 pounds the first two weeks and then I've been out of town, distracted, etc. The food is not good so it's hard to eat it. I have plenty left that I will eat until it is done to help control my calorie intake as I work from home. I'm glad Russ likes to grocery shop.

Today I took Charlie to get his nails clipped, social distancing practiced by all. Then I dropped off an insurance check at the chiropractor. I had canceled my appointment today. When I walked in they asked if I wanted an adjustment. I said "no". The parking lot was empty so I would imagine many aren't going to their appointments. On my way home I took Charlie to a dog park that usually has no one there during the morning and early afternoon. There were at least 5-6 others with their dogs. We stayed on the other side of the fenced area and Charlie did his thing marking every tree and pooping. Running seems to help him do that. We only stayed for 15-20 minutes and then went to CVS to pick up toothpaste, eye lubricant, hair spray, and a curling brush (since I can't get my hair cut I need to try to do something different).

Well friends, it's nice to be able to chat with you both during this social distancing/staying in time. I'm thinking of you, praying for your good health and mine, and hope this all ends sooner than later.

Stay well,
    Jenny

• mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,800 Member
    stress is getting to me - have had a headache for four days - and my neck is so stiff it hurts to move much - Maybe a walk this afternoon would help?

I remember feeling like I couldn't choke down the food when I tried Nutrisystem years ago.

Zach is supposed to have his early class registration window Monday because of his scholarship - but his advisor hasn't met with him and says he can't until 4/7 - what the heck. There goes another semester of getting 'un' prime classes - I know comparatively it's not the end of the world but BOO.

Trying to gear myself up for another mission grocery tomorrow morning. Hopefully I feel better.

Still haven't gotten VPN so I could do any work from home. I'm obviously pretty far down the list.

Bernie's work is test running a sort of emergency production staff level to see how few they would need to run production but at a very bare minimum. I really think Flexcon does a great job. They are a premier employer in my opinion. Top notch.

Be well, be safe.
  • jrbanta
    Marla do you have high blood pressure? Your stress may be elevating your blood pressure and causing the headache. Try to incorporate something for you to "let go" each day such as a bubble bath, Hallmark movie, walk, etc. Maybe it will help even if you don't feel like doing it.

I took Charlie for a short walk today and organized my work materials for what goes to MI and what goes to district for my replacement. Tomorrow I will organize a home office space at the diningroom table and put my stuff on the shelves behind the table. I will pack up my nick nacks currently on the shelves. It is suppose to be rainy, windy and cold tomorrow so good day to get it done.

My goal is to take at least 2 short walks with Charlie each day to get myself moving since I'm not doing my walking in and out of the building and houses like a typical work day. It will help my endorphins release a little bit.

I canceled Nutrisystem. Now to eat up the food and get it out of my fridge and closet.

Take Care,
    Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Today I went on two walks with Russ and our dog Charlie. The first one was shorter because I didn't want to over do it with my knees. In the afternoon, we went out again and I made it much further. I feel the bone to bone but it is bearable to get the fresh air and exercise. I'm going to try to do this daily weather permitting.

Tomorrow I will set up my work at home office space. Never got to it today. I did shop on Overstock.com and bought a living room rug for the new house. Then I went to Amazon and bought a rug for the den and two carpet pads. Another task done. I am having them shipped to my sister's house.

I talked with my other sister today. She is sick and I'm worried. She was in Florida for about 3 weeks with a friend. They stayed put for awhile as the Covid-19 was hitting MI but then drove home a week ago. When I heard her speak she was coughing hard, very congested and I asked her if she was sick. She said she didn't feel well, had a head ache, and had vomited without any vomit in the sink. She feels nauseous. I asked if she was short of breath and she gave me two different answers. No and a little. She says she's been home but then said she's been walking the beach with a friend and lots of other people out there too. She also stayed in a hotel on the way home from Florida a week ago. She says she has a flu. I told her to call her doctor if symptoms worsen. She hasn't taken her temperature.

She always deflects and makes excuses for things. I hope she doesn't do that if symptoms worsen.

Stay well everyone!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    that sounds pretty concerning with your sister. I hope she calls in and starts to feel better as well.

It rained Friday and Saturday. No walking, plus the headache had me laid low. Yesterday was the first day without a headache. It will probably come back today - I am pretty sure it is mostly due to stress and yes I do have slightly high bp - I take a lowish dose of a beta blocker and yes it is trending highish right now. Not surprised.

I got up early again on Saturday to do the grocery shopping. Currently the only store open early is Super Saver (not my preferred store) but Hyvee doesn't open until 8 and I don't want to wait that long, plus I have no idea how to time it to get there when won't be a crowd. Of course this week Super Saver was busy at 6 a.m. too - probably because (1) it's the only open at that hour now, and (2) others trying to get in without crowds. Sigh. I guess I'm going to have to bump the alarm back at least another hour next week. Yay.

Be well, be safe
  • jrbanta
    I started my first day of learning about distance learning. I spent the day contacting parents through email and text to find out their technology status (internet, devices, etc.) and learned how to join and invite someone to a virtual meeting through Google Meet. Tomorrow I have more tech training, a teaming meeting and a student/parent meeting via the computer. My "office" is my dining table with the shelves behind it holding my office supplies and resources. My files are in a file box on the floor next to my chair. I actually showered, blow dried my hair and put on make up to feel more normal. I noticed only one other in my teaming group did the same. Most were with no make up and we were all wearing comfy clothes.

I am very grateful I don't have little kids at home that need me to teach them and do my job at the same time. Many of my coworkers have school age children or infants. It's just Charlie and me. I take him out for a walk to get fresh air and a break at least twice. Today he went with me to the drive thru pharmacy and to a friend's house to pick up masks she made for us. I think he loves someone being home. No kennel time.

Take care of yourself Marla. I know I feel unsettled and have difficulty falling asleep because my mind is so full of worries about Russ and I, the kids, my family and friends staying well. I also have slightly elevated BP and take Lisinopril (low dose). Tomorrow I hope to take a little longer walk with Charlie if weather is nice.

Take care,
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    saw a very cool article today about Bernie's workplace and them figuring out a way to make some PPE. Way to go Flexcon - their main corporate area and plant is in Spencer, MA which is very near the epicenter in NYC - still grinding it out, innovating, problem-solving. Columbus will probably have to take over soon, manufacturing for the win!

There are all sorts of heroes out there.
  • jrbanta
    It must feel good to know Bernie's company will make an impact. There are so many people and companies contributing. I'm impressed with the number of very smart people that can think outside the box and make a difference. Scientists are also amazing with working diligently on a vaccine, tests, etc. The military is impressive with setting up hospitals and governors are brainstorming hospital space in a variety of settings. I'm not impressed with our federal government, not a single person.

I'm tired after day 2 of learning about distance learning. Screen time all day! I took Charlie for a walk at 10am but worked the rest of the day attending online meetings. Tomorrow is another day of online meetings with team members and parents. I won't be done until almost 4pm. I'm going to count that as conference time from 3-4pm.

June can't come fast enough for me to be done with working this way. I doubt we will go back to school in May but that decision has not been made yet.

Hang in there!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    am feeling really overwhelmed by the scope and potential length of what could be. March felt like it was 10 years long - and predictions that April won't see the peak/worst until the end of the month. My coping skills may be taxed out before that!

I broke down and let Caleb go meet a friend for a bike ride with all my dire warnings to keep to the restrictions, but now I feel like I let the grim reaper in the house. It should be ok - but everything is just so scary.

In general I am impressed with the schools response to set up bagged lunches quickly and packets for the elementary kids - but frankly think they high schoolers are getting hosed. Finally this week they rolled out homework (three weeks into this) - no communication with parents about what the second semester will look like. Is the grade book closed? Is this homework going to be graded? Tests? How will they work? Last day of school being adjusted? So many questions, no answers. I know they have their hands full, but frankly a lot of these questions are pretty dang important to kids who were on track (Caleb) to high academic and could have had access to big scholarships - these two years being the most important for grades. I know more important things are going on, but they tackled the elementary kids first and have just fluffed off the high schoolers. I am really disappointed (again) in my school district.
  • mizpaden74
    Governor officially pulled the plugged on the rest of the school year. Still no clue how the actual academics will be handled. Several of C's teachers haven't even put out any assignments yet even though online learning supposedly started this week for HS.
  • jrbanta
    Our governor has not said schools are closed to end of year. Currently, kids go back May 4th. I wish he would just call it so families and students could get their head around it and plans can be made. I can say this distance learning is overwhelming to prepare for. I can't imagine being a classroom teacher for elementary or a high school teacher that has to put materials online for students or send learning packets home. I know in our district, teachers have "class" time where kids go online for a class that teacher is teaching through video. Homework is uploaded to Seesaw Classroom online and students can go on to get their work. Families and teachers are overwhelmed with it all while also figuring out their own home routines, work, and new normal. Our district has been preparing for at least two weeks so some is up and running for k-12.

It may take some time for your teachers to figure it out. Everyone is learning a new skill set.
    I totally get your worries about grades, scholarships, etc.
    The MI governor has said all seniors graduate, all students advance to their next grade. I think MN is the same way. Students can't be penalized for all this that is out of everyone's control. Time for humane decisions and flexibility. Colleges will have to be flexible too. They closed and went to online learning earlier than anyone else.

I'm not sleeping well, not getting my work done due to all the video meetings and trainings. I have a virtual convention conference tomorrow and Saturday for CEU's. Blah! It's a non work day for me tomorrow.

Today I dropped a toy off on a porch for some triplets and took Charlie to the dog park to run. We both walked and got fresh air in the neighborhood and at the dog park. I needed that. I did it in the morning after connecting with a Dad of a student. I came back home in time for staff meeting and teaming meetings. My boss has assured us that we do what we can but take care of ourselves too. Work schedules can be flexible as of now with working from home.

Well I'm rambling. Do you have any cases in your town?

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    6 I believe - which for a town of less than 30000 is concerning - ok scary!

Stick a fork in me - I am just pissed off and done with this place (work)

No disinfecting stations (I have to bring my own if I want it done), there are still contractors coming (like changing rugs) with no protective gear and certainly not health vetted - and I keep getting these emails from people who are working at home because it's safer. Do they no realize how that feels to those of us who still have to go to a physical work location

just done!
  • jrbanta
    It gets to you doesn't it? Being home feels isolating but safer. I worry for Russ and you that have to be at work not knowing where others have been and if they are asymptomatic. The stress of that builds each day. Why isn't your company taking precautions? That's not right. Hand washing, Purell, working from home, etc.

Everyone I know is overwhelmed preparing for this distance learning. Many report that parents don't "show up" and join the video meeting or answer the phone. Parents are juggling so much with teaching children, working from home and spending all day with their little ones, they feel their homes are chaos and can't handle one more thing. I will begin contacting my families this next week. I will probably do a combination of phone call and Google Meet. I want to try the video visit with families and see if we can get it to work on both ends. I've heard families that aren't tech savvy are struggling with that.

I pray that time flies and June 19th comes quickly. I'm mentally checking out with a brain of mush.

Stay healthy!
    Jenny

• mizpaden74
    It really got to me yesterday. Fortunately I am a bit calmer today but I did say some things that will probably cause me some grief somewhere down the line. Because at some point the economic issues will catch up to our industry too. Then....buh bye loud mouth. Maybe. It’s always a possibility. Did some organizing and tossing today. Moved Zach’s college stuff around. Hopefully we can really use this time and get some organizing done in all rooms.

Glad you get to stay home. Hopefully Russ can too soon. How are your boys doing?
  • mizpaden74
    Meh
  • jrbanta
    I got on the scale this morning, 8-1/2 pounds lost. Not due to Nutrisystem since I'm not following it. I just eat the foods for breakfast and lunch, some dinners when I need a meal. I think it is the stress of all this.

We met with the kids through Zoom.com. We could see each other and it was nice to see their faces and talk to them. All are well. We will do it again soon.

Work is overwhelming. I need to organize myself to get documentation and paperwork done so I'm not scrambling at end of the year. I wish coworkers and my boss would stop emailing with all the things they have added for documenting distance learning.

Onward...
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    wow! What a fantastic loss. So happy for you.

I started canceling the vacation stuff officially today. Probably going to need to have an ugly cry tonight. So defeated. Work sucks - and before anyone wants to tell me to be happy to have a job - the layoffs are starting - so far in one of the branches - but it won't be long before they come here - and who knows how it shakes out - I have less than 10 years - I am very low on the totem pole. Either way it sucks. Lose job, or keep job and have more work in this terrifying environment. No win.

Deep breath.

Hugs
  • mizpaden74
    it's all canceled -

Bernie told me yesterday that Schuyler (a town that is less than 15 miles from Columbus) - had five confirmed cases at the QC supply (farm store) - and a lot of potential exposures from those at the pack. So. That's not terrifying at all. Schuyler is a small town that has to do it's shopping and most of its working here in Columbus - and if the packing plant is infected - there goes a lot of food.

Jenny - hope you and yours are staying well. Is your sister getting better?

Hi Ang.

Be well friends.
  • jrbanta
    Hi I just realized I had not checked in since Monday. I am completing my second week of distance learning with toddlers and their parents. All but 3 of my families just want email check ins one time weekly or 2 times monthly. They also want me to send ideas/activities that are appropriate for their child's age so they can do them together. I tried a few sessions with the child sitting and looking at the screen. What a joke! Two year olds don't get that's me on the screen and won't stay there to listen and watch for more than a couple of minutes. Parents don't like it either. We had a video staff meeting yesterday. My supervisor mentioned that distance learning may continue through August here in MN. I'm so glad I will be done. This is tedious and I feel ineffective. It's exhausting sitting at a screen, trying to do paperwork with so many interruptions, etc. I know I'm lucky to have a job and being paid and I feel blessed about that even if I'm failing as a speech/language pathologist.

Marla, it sounds rough in your world. I hope your family stays healthy and one or both of you gets to stay employed through this. It's scary how many businesses, distribution, farmers and restaurants are going to fail as a result of "shelter in place" and not being able t socialize. There are people urging our governor to let non-essential businesses open and practice social distancing with customers just to keep the business afloat. He did not agree and extended the shelter in place until May 4th. MN is doing well with keeping the curve flattened and I've heard COVID will peak in July here. I wish you could be home and make money too so you would feel more safe. How are Z and C doing?

I doubt my weight loss is going to last. This has happened before when I'm stressed and then evens out or goes back up. I'm consuming way too much sugar while being home. My problem is portion control too. Walking Charlie is good for me and I'm trying to go further than normal but some days my knee hurts so bad I can barely get home.

Well stay well and find ways to de-stress.

Jenny