The New Water Cooler

Options

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    Marla- my son and a couple people at work have had vertigo. The doctors said it may be a one time episode or come and go. If you have vertigo unrelated to a virus, it could be that one of the little balls in your inner ear (on the cochlea) has broken loose (not uncommon) and is floating around in the fluid. When it finally comes to rest in a vestibule, vertigo will be gone. Are you drinking enough fluids? Dehydration also can cause dizziness. Are you going to go back to the doctor? Stressful week for you. Hugs! Hope you can take time to rest.

Yesterday I made mini egg crustless quiches in my muffin pan. They are less than 100 calories each. I filled them with an assortment of veggies, a small amount of ham and cheese. I ate two for breakfast with fresh fruit. Satisfying! I'm trying to work towards only eating a small amount of bread/wheat grains per day if any and increasing protein, lean meat/fish, veggies, fruits, nuts, healthy fats...(Sort of Paleo style of eating but not totally strict). I want to see if I have more energy, less eczema, lose some weight, and feel all around better.

I logged breakfast so a good start to the day.

USA volleyball plays Japan at noon today. I plan to watch that and then I have knitting group tonight.

Shirley- congrats on winning your Fit Bit Challenge!

Hi Ang!

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Watching USA volleyball.... winning!

Logging food today and beginning to eat Paleo (caveman style) with meats, veggies, fruits, nuts)
    Bike Ride- 34 minutes, 5 miles (hot and humid today)

I read in an article yesterday that shorter workouts are best for losing weight. I'm aiming for 30-45 maximum minutes. If I can do this 3 times per week working up to 4 I will be happy.

Knitting tonight so check in tomorrow.

Jenny
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Raining hard today but sun has finally come out. The grass is greening up again and the plants are looking better. This has been the worst for no rain this summer.

I had an eye doctor apt. today and my pressure in one eye has gone up. He is watching it since my Mom
    had glacouma and it seems I have my mom's troubles when it comes to things going wrong with my health. I guess that's why they call it genetics. LOL He wants me back in September for a field vision test since my last one 3 years ago. I don't like that test.

I had Fitbit troubles yesterday, not syncing with my computer. Dave did some research and it seems to be working again after he made some changes. I did call customer service but it started again.

We skyped with Isaac in the bath tub, Kathy thought that was better to keep him in one place.
    He was showing off for us, so cute. <3

Marla - Sorry you are having troubles this week, I hope the Vertigo gets better. It sounds like what Jenny said, the crystals break loose and float around. I had that once but I also had a bad cold with it.
    Feel better. <3

Jenny- Nice to have your son home for that long, you will miss him again once school starts.

Stay dry for those getting rain.

Still logging
    I will get a walk in later today.

Shirley

• jrbanta
    Options
    Knitting was fun with lots of laughs. Always need those when everything on the news is so bad.

I didn't do so well with my eating at knitting. She served sloppy joes (I had one) and 3 kinds of salads, veggies and dip, chips, and a fruit/cool whip dessert. I ate too much dip, some chips, and the dessert. Not a caveman meal at all. However, I drank water and no alcohol.

Very foggy here this morning so I'm not riding my bike unless it clears up. Meeting friends for lunch to get together with former coworker that moved to Michigan last winter. She's home visiting family so we are all having lunch to see her and her 1 year old son. I'm planning on either fish tacos, lettuce wraps or cobb salad.

Grocery shopping afterward and then make dinner for Russ and Rory.

I hope you feel better Marla. Can you rest and take a sick day when boys start school?
    Shirley- this is the first summer we aren't in total drought conditions. A little more rain would be nice but when it does rain, it's a gusher (last night). The humidity is miserable and I'm tired of feeling sweaty.

Have a wonderful day!
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    I love how delicious your egg muffins look. I am feeling a bit better - just some random dizziness here and there. Hopefully gone soon. Tomorrow is Caleb's 12th bday and I need to make treats for school tonight and we have two church meetings tonight. Yuck. Thanks for all the good thoughts all - as it nears 1 p.m. I will get more and more anxious (sophomores only go from 1:30 to 3:30 today) - but I am pretty wound up already! Yikes. How do people do this?
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Marla- are you nervous about Zach's driving alone? He'll be extra careful because he wants to do well. Caleb is 12? Wow! What are the celebration plans?

Lunch with friends was nice. The two youngest friends brought their baby boys (almost 1 years old). They were so entertaining and cute. I love the 6 to 15 month age range. They behaved so well and were flirting with us and enjoying each other. I had a Cobb Salad with the dressing on the side. It was very good and not too filling. We changed our plans to take Rory to the Mexican Restaurant that cooks all their entrees with fresh ingredients. I will make dinner at home tomorrow eve.

Miserable, hot day. Temp is only 82 but dew point is 66% so it feels hot and humid.

I'm glad you are feeling better Marla.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    8/15 20 minute walk at dog park
    8/16 34 minute bike ride
    8/18 24 minute walk (1 mile) w/dogs
    I may ride my bike later for 15-20 minutes. Very hot and humid but low 70's coming for weekend!

Logging food and despite Casa Rio w/Rory last night, doing well eating fruits, veggies, proteins.

WTG on your walk Marla!

Jenny

• mizpaden74
    Options
    I was petrified yesterday. But he made it to school and home safely. And was in a fantastic mood. I am so proud of him. He really was hesitant to start driving and just in the last couple of weeks is taking to it. And I will continue to be worried and anxious I'm sure (because I am just really tightly wound on a good day) - but feel like yesterday was a huge hurdle for all of us. Not sure what is up for Caleb except he wants Chinese and this weekend we'll do cake and stuff. He had his friends over last weekend.

Very hot here too. A few rain showers - which I wish would happen at a time when I could take Zach out driving in because we haven't done driving in rain and I have to 'practice' that with him.

Shirley - great job logging and exercising!

I have stayed mostly on top of food logging and am seeing some results - exercising is not great since I still feel wonky. But proud of myself for trying to stay honest and true with the food.

Go us!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I vacuumed for 30 minutes and then rode my bike for 21 minutes (3.3 miles). Dripping sweat and time for a shower. So hot and humid and I don't do well in that kind of weather. Logging for day is done with exception of water intake.

I'm thinking of buying a FitBit or Garmin wrist monitor to motivate myself to move more and keep track of what I'm doing. Not sure if I should or not. What are your opinions. I don't know if I want to spend 100.00 on a FitBit but there was a Garmin model with 5 star reviews that was half the cost and does the same thing. Any thoughts?

WTG Zach! I still worry about the boys when they head for an evening or a long car trip to school or across state lines. You will always worry because your a mom but we have to let them know we trust them too. Rory is ticked at me right now because I keep nagging him to go online and apply for jobs in Grand Forks. He's not worried since there are many available but I want it done so I know he can pay his rent, food, books and gas money. He's just sitting around relaxing so get to it! I guess he wants it to be on his timeline.

Have a nice night!
    Jenny
  • Shirley61
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Marla B) Glad you finally feeling better. Another trick you can do with Vertigo, is lie down on your bed with your head hanging over the edge. Tilt to one side and then the other, a doctor actually had me do this in the doctor's office. It works!

Jenny B) Great job with logging and trying to stay on track. We are all doing better at this don't you think. Writing it down keeps us accountable.

A real down pour last night, sounded like a monsoon I woke up to check to see that we weren't experiencing flooding, but we weren't. All was well this morning except our chairs on the patio are all over the place. The sun is out again and the humidity is still here.  Not a fan of hot weather.

I went on my bike today and biked to another town, stopped at a restaurant had coffee and a blueberry muffin, just me, myself and I. Dave went to have coffee with Steve, the guy who took over his job, so I ventured out. I have been wanting Dave to do this with me for a while now, but there is always excuses.
    So I ventured out myself and covered 12 miles there and back. Peeled my clothes off and had a shower.
    Looking forward to cooler temperatures.

Yesterday was lunch with a friend and the border crossing was crazy busy with lots of construction and detours, so it took me 50 mins to get to my friend's house instead of 30 min. We had a nice lunch but
    not low in calories unfortunatley.

My wild flower garden that I planted this year on the side of our garage went crazy and I had to pull out
    4 plants that were overtaking all others, but with beautiful flowers and hanging over the stepping stones.
    Next year I will have to separate some these plants but I have had so many butterflies and honey bees since I planted the "wildflower forest" I call it.

Aug 16 - Walking 35 mins.
    Aug 17- Yoga 75 mins.
    Aug 18- Biking 12 miles - 69 mins
    Logged most days but I did not log yesterday due to lunch with my friend and an unheathy choice. I should have logged anyway.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I agree Shirley. I'm feeling more accountable to myself and motivated by checking in and reporting what I'm doing. WTG on your bike ride and stopping to enjoy yourself too. I don't even ask Russ to ride with me anymore. I get tired of excuses and it bums me out.

I made a decision and I purchased the Garmin Vivofit 2 Activity Tracker. It gets great reviews, is waterproof to 50m's (I can wear it in a pool, shower, do dishes, etc.), does not have to be recharged and the battery lasts over a year. It was 57.99 plus I ordered the screen protectors in case I scratch it. It also monitors my sleep like FitBit does for people. The best is that it syncs with MFP sending my activity info to MFP and MFP send back info to the Garmin regarding exercise and calories, etc.... So wish me luck figuring this out. All reviews said it was easy to set up and use.

USA women's volleyball team lost to Serbia so now they are competing for bronze medal. What a disappointment! They played hard today but Serbia was hot and had some really tall women at the net. USA's best blocker has a knee injury and was pulled out mid 3rd game for the rest of match. Ouch! My friend's daughter must be so bummed too but hopefully they will get bronze and she will have had the Olympic experience. She's 28 so I don't know if she will continue to play pro and then get to the next Olympics or not.

Well I'm off to bed. I need a pedicure so that is my goal tomorrow.

Jenny
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I weighed in this morning and reset my weight and goals. I had lost over 1 pound since the last time I was on the scale a week or so ago. So onward and downward...

Rainy today and big storm last night. Tonight/tomorrow brings low 70's and 50's at night for at least 2 days. AC will be off and windows open!

TGIF!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    being accountable and writing everything down makes a huge difference. I can too easily convince myself I didn't do too bad when I don't log things. Seeing it in black and white makes a difference.

Today Zach did not remember to text me - so I spent an unpleasant 20 minutes trying to contact when I figured he had to be at school, but before bell - ugh. I was hoping it would be a week at least before we got to the point of him 'forgetting'. Mylanta!

Due to feeling yucky and off - I am actually close to where I had changed my weight to the last time. Still way up from where I was a couple of years ago - but down from where I was couple of weeks ago. It's probably mostly water weight - but if I can keep the momentum this could be huge for me. Come on me!!

I hope you enjoy your Garmin Jenny. I got Caleb a Fitbit this spring because he asked and I was hopeful it would encourage him. Haven't seen a much change yet. But I continue to try to find ways to try. I prayed last night that i hope I am not making him feel like I don't love and accept him the way he is. Because I do. I just know what it's like to be the chubby kid. And I hated it. And I don't want him to feel bad when a few smallish changes could really make a cumulative difference. Siggghhh.

Shirley - great job!

Here's to a great on-track weekend and to push our work forward!!
  • Shirley61
    Options
    I had my mammogram this morning, and they got a new machine 4 years ago and it was much less painful and I did take an Advil just in case. We don't get our results right away like you guys we have to wait a week. I told them I am leaving Monday for a week vacation and they said I should have booked when I wasn't on vacation. Duh, didn't know that. I gave them my cell phone number in case they have to call me, I hope not.

Its another hot one today, my car's A/C is broken so I usually take Dave's car but took mine instead.
    I think I will take a walk after dinner instead of during the day. I am in two Fitbit challenges, weekend warrior and work week hustle so that should keep me moving.

I cleaned up my two flowers pots in front of the house, they are looking like they are on their way out anyway, but maybe I can bring some of it back. I cut away the dead stuff and dead headed the whole plants. Now to take down laundry again.

Jenny - Good luck with your walking device, it does help keep you moving.

Marla - Maybe you can get Caleb to start some challenges with his friends. Maybe he would like
    the competition. You get badges and trophies at the end of the challenge.

Aug. 19- Walking after dinner
    Still logging and scale was down this morning.

Shirley
  • Shirley61
    Options
    August 20- Walking 40 mins. (a hot one)
    Also doing Weekend Warrior challenge with Fitbit.
    Still logging

Tonight Podcast at our sailing club from the Tragically Hip concert. Final concert tour, lead singer was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. This is their final tour concert.

Shirley
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Beautiful day today. Perfect sunny day with temps in the 70's and no humidity. Why can't it always be like this?

It rained all day yesterday and was still humid so didn't do much. Rory left for school yesterday and Russ and I went to church and dinner at friends' house. We played the game Cards Against Humanity. It was raunchy and funny at the same time. All in all a very fun evening.

My Garmin arrived and it's on my wrist. I can't figure out how to sync with MFP yet. I must have to go on the Garmin App for that. I thought I did sync to MFP but it didn't work.

Today I walked 1.92 miles in 30 minutes. My legs hurt the entire time but I did it. I think a lot of my pain is muscle weakness so I will keep getting out there to strengthen my muscles again. Too much sitting around due to pain but it is counter productive to losing weight and reducing pain.

Nice exercise minutes and logging Shirley!
    WTG on your logging of what you eat Marla. I hear your fears about Caleb. It's a fine line to walk between making him feel like he doesn't measure up and getting him to exercise. Maybe just plan more active outings you do together that are enjoyable so he is having fun while active? (play tennis, mini golf, bike rides, ball at the park/picnic...)

Time to get up and take some steps!

Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    so glad to have had a fairly quiet weekend - my folks took off for a road trip somewhere - so no drop in visits - yay!

Zach remembered to text me today and overall I was less anxious about his driving - hopefully each time will get better

Caleb starts school soccer today -

keep up the great work ladies! I was hoping to have a loss today since I have felt pretty good with my logging. No down. Very bummed. Must keep on - come on ladies we can do this!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Finally got may pedicure. I tried a new nail salon a friend recommended. They were slow but did a nice job and the place was very clean with friendly staff. I chose a dark, Fall color since August is almost over.

Windy today but mid 80's. I'm going to take the dogs for a walk on some shady streets so they get exercise and I get some steps done.

This Paleo (caveman) eating is not too difficult. I feel good and have more energy. I'm planning to eat this way 90-95% of the time but still allow myself treats once in awhile.

WTG Zach on texting and you will get use to him driving Marla. Takes time... Nice that Caleb is doing soccer. That will be great exercise and social time.

Logging my food today....
    Jenny
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    I am still bummed by the scale - I let myself get happy over what was obviously major water weight loss while I wasn't feeling the greatest - even though I feel like I am doing well logging now that I am back to eating my scale rebounded - and it is down a bit just not what I had tricked myself into hoping it was.

onward!!! prevail we must!!!

I threw soccer balls at C for about 30 minutes last night and logged my food -

Go Jenny!!!
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I hate my scale! I know what you mean Marla. My scale is up from when I redid my goals and I don't see how it can be. I'm eating lean and actually getting more active. May be one of those daily fluctuations but I'm buying a new scale any way. I'm going to check out Bed Bath and Beyond and see what they have (I have a ton of coupons).

I bought two racks of baby back ribs today, buy one get one free at VonHanson's Meats. I think I will cook a rack tomorrow or Thursday night and serve with roasted veggies and mashed cauliflower. Mmmm good!

The dogs are at the groomer getting brushed, bath and nails cut. I'm waiting around for the call that they are done and I can pick them up. I will take them for a walk later on.

My activity tracker is setting a current goal of about 7500+ steps per day for me right now. Yesterday I surpassed the goal so that was better than the first day. I figured out how to sync with MFP so I can read my stats on the Garmin Connect App for calories, steps, etc. Once my legs are stronger I may set my own goal but for now this is encouraging me to move.

Time for lunch before dogs are done. Have a nice day!
    Jenny