Linds OMAD thread

Options

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Tonight is...whatever awaits me on mom's stove! B)
  • Lipka1le
    Lipka1le Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Trying hard to eat lower carbs this week. Last 3days have been pretty good so I am looking forward to seeing the results.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Then I wish you could be over here for this good BBQ! It's like drugs!!!!!
  • Lipka1le
    Options
    Mmmmmmmmm, BBQ. I love BBQ, especially home grown chicken BBQ with corn right from the garden(we raise our own meat birds and have a laying flock as well). Man, I can't wait for summer the birds will be ready to go to "freezer camp" and the veggies will be ready to be picked.
  • Lipka1le
    Options
    As I mentioned I've been going low carb this week and I just wanted to log some of my observations. I started on Saturday. I knew I was retaining a lot of water which was leading to not so great results on the scale plus I've been feeling really bloated the last 2weeks.

Saturday night still sticking with omad I had broccoli and a steak smothered with sautéed onion, mushrooms and provolone cheese.

Sunday I felt in really good spirits all day. My meal was Hawaiian pork and sautéed cabbage. While I noticed I was not drinking any more then normal I was using the rest room alot.

Last night was taco with out the shell and the last of the cabbage ( I'm the only one that eats it and I didn't want to just toss it, it's too good). Once again spending alot of time getting rid of all the excess water my body is holding on to. I did start to feel a little headache and maybe some lightheadedness but I understand that is expected when starting a low carb diet.

Today I stepped and the scale just to get an idea of what was happening and while it is not my weigh in day and it's not an official number, I am very surprised at how low the number was. I know it is water weight, but that's kinda what I was going for.

All of the protein in a low carb diet really fills you up and I found it easier to met and even exceed my 23 hr fast. So that may be helpful for some of you who experienced hunger pains during your fast. Over all it has been going really good and I think I might be sticking to a lower carb menu for the next couple of weeks . can't go wrong with meat, right?
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Any dizziness etc is an electrolyte issue on low carb, particularly when dumping water. Eat more salt than would be normal for you and consider supplementing with magnesium. I used a magnesium oil spray. Glad it is working for you!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I eat a whey protein supps most nights, to help fast the next day and to prevent muscle loss.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Lipka1le wrote: »
    As I mentioned I've been going low carb this week and I just wanted to log some of my observations. I started on Saturday. I knew I was retaining a lot of water which was leading to not so great results on the scale plus I've been feeling really bloated the last 2weeks.

Saturday night still sticking with omad I had broccoli and a steak smothered with sautéed onion, mushrooms and provolone cheese.

Sunday I felt in really good spirits all day. My meal was Hawaiian pork and sautéed cabbage. While I noticed I was not drinking any more then normal I was using the rest room alot.

Last night was taco with out the shell and the last of the cabbage ( I'm the only one that eats it and I didn't want to just toss it, it's too good). Once again spending alot of time getting rid of all the excess water my body is holding on to. I did start to feel a little headache and maybe some lightheadedness but I understand that is expected when starting a low carb diet.

Today I stepped and the scale just to get an idea of what was happening and while it is not my weigh in day and it's not an official number, I am very surprised at how low the number was. I know it is water weight, but that's kinda what I was going for.

All of the protein in a low carb diet really fills you up and I found it easier to met and even exceed my 23 hr fast. So that may be helpful for some of you who experienced hunger pains during your fast. Over all it has been going really good and I think I might be sticking to a lower carb menu for the next couple of weeks . can't go wrong with meat, right?

I have tried the low-carb approach and headaches were the first issue I fought with. I understand some people really, really like it, but me, it just isn't a good option. On the shorter term, it makes sense what you are doing. Occasional shot-term low-carb days may be very effective for a nice change-up (I have brisket to polish off!). And sometimes I think the boost in protein and the augmentation of that next big mental connection can indeed decrease hunger.
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    I've never had headache or dizziness on low carb. It really is optional! Magnesium, potassium and sodium!
  • Lipka1le
    Options
    I often get 2-3 headaches a week, unfortunately it's been that way since I was in my teens, so it's really hard to say wether it's the low carbs or just my body going through its cluster headache stage.
  • arguablysamson
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lipka1le wrote: »
    I often get 2-3 headaches a week, unfortunately it's been that way since I was in my teens, so it's really hard to say wether it's the low carbs or just my body going through its cluster headache stage.

Weird; I got two to three headaches (usually full-on light sensitivity-style migraines) a week in my early 20s. Went away by 28 or 30. Never figured out why. I think it has to do with how efficient your body is with water retention.
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon!
  • Lipka1le
    Options
    I feel fine, thanks. Excited to see what tomorrow on the scale brings. Hopefully everyone has a great day and a great weekend as well
  • Lipka1le
    Options
    So, I got rid of the water weight. 5.3 lbs of it to be exact. That puts me at 146.9 and only 12 lbs to go to maintenance.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Niceeeee!
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Wow, just wow!! Congratulations!!
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Kudos, Linds! Water weight or no, that's simply amazing.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Amazing, congratulations :D
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • Lipka1le
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I have finally gotten to the point where I am seeing the difference in the mirror. Seems like you are always the person who sees it last.