OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Options

Replies

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Patti, is there a DSW near you? You are staying way busy - great exercise at both jobs.

Bert, hope the weather cooperates for the wedding.

Karla, do you have Izzy for the weekend?

Not much to report here. Will leave the house today - whee! Placed a grocery order with Walmart for pickup this afternoon. Yesterday was 50 here, Today 60, tomorrow 70 and 80 on Sunday. No wonder plants are confused and sinuses everywhere are going bonkers!

TGIF. Greetings to all - have an excellent weekend and let's all keep this positive roll moving forward!
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Options
    Safe travels and enjoy the wedding Bert.

Janet, enjoy your trip out of the house. Won't be long and you will be free at last, I went to DSW Wed before work and they had 3 pairs of walking shoes also. Seems that is the limit any store is allowed to carry, lol. I know the high end shoe stores specialize in running shoes so will not waste my time there. Going to do some online searching but they will have to offer free shipping and returns. I have never been successful ordering shoes without trying them on. I know you understand. Something has to give, I come home nearly in tears from the pain and wake up in worse pain until I start walking.

Off to do some cleaning and hole patching. Taking a chair so I can give my feet some rest. I know work is going to be nonstop as usual. Tomorrow is card day with my GFs. We are going to basically have play time with our die cutting machines. No formal card making this month. Then we will go out to lunch and, of course, work for me 5-10. Today is the start of day 5 on plan. Scale has already started moving. I usually only weigh weekly but needed some positive reinforcement today.

Hi to the rest, off I go
    Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Hello friends. Here we are starting another weekend. Glad to see we are all staying positive and adhering to our plan.

Patti- Have you thought of going to a Pidiatrist for some inserts? They would help your feet tremendously. Once you get the new tennis shoes, give it some thought. I hear Dr Borcicky recommending New Balnce shoes all day long, have you tried them? Some of them are not pricey.

Janet- Our weather has been strange like that too. Sunny, but cool. We have the wedding in Biloxi this weekend. Reshearsal dinner tonight.

Bert- We are both doing the wedding thing. Safe travels.

Diane- Waiting to hear how John and yours camping trip went.

I'm at the hairdresser now getting my root touched up and hair styled. I have two new outfits as Glenn says I am his trophy wife for the wedding. Lol.

I will have Izzy on Saturday for the wedding. She wants to see Audrey as the Junior Bridesmaid. Sweet.

Tracking is going well. But have had a stomach ache for two days. Only managed 1031 calories. I did make a yummy meal last night and ate the meatloaf.

Have a great day.

Karla

• EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hello all - so glad to see everyone recommitted and inspired! You are inspiring me. I have tracked every single thing so far today, and am about to put in my dinner. I am trying to be much more mindful of my snacking, and also my nutrition. John is much more into carbs for breakfast, so when camping I had carbs and little or no protein for breakfast. (Pancakes one morning, biscuits the second!) That just doesn't work for me! I have to start insisting on low-carb protein-filled breakfast - it definitely sets the day up right.

Our camping trip was cut a little short. John has had a bad back off and on, and the morning we were leaving it spasmed badly on him. We went, and he drove, but was not able to do any walking really. I did a short hike on my own but didn't like to leave him for long. The second day we went to Monticello, home of Thomas Jefferson, and then came back one day early so he could see the doctor today. Diagnosis - muscle spasm, like a sprain, take it easy for a few weeks (hah!) and muscle relaxants.

Janet, Carrie is just WAITING for Tuesday. She wants to be able to walk up and down stairs like a normal person, rather than sitting her way up and down. A friend of hers stayed evenings and overnight while we were gone, but she went up and down stairs 2-3 times each day, and said she was exhausted. She cooked for the two of them each night, and did some of her other stuff. I think she enjoyed the break from us.

Karla and Bert, both of you have fun at your weddings! Hopefully the weather down there will cooperate.

Patti, boy you are just a whirlwind! I know you enjoy working for your son on his houses. Will you be painting next? Woo hoo on movement on the scale! I need me some encouragement of that nature. I didn't even get on the scale this morning after two days away.

Patti, I'm in the market for new shoes too - I noticed this week that my every day ones (New Balance) are starting to get holes. Not looking forward to the search.

Suzi, is it a camping weekend, a lake weekend, or just an at home weekend?

Cindy, thinking of you and the strength you are showing. Hope some good writing is getting done!

Diane
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Bert, so sorry I neglected to answer your question. Many Walmarts have grocery pickup available. It has worked very well for me - you fill your cart on their website, choose a pickup time (one-hour windows all day long), park in a specially marked space at the side of the store, and they put the bags into your car. Prices are same as in store. Your brother can easily find out from their website whether his nearest store has that service.

So many happy occasions this weekend with two weddings. And new outfits! Hoping to see pics from both Karla and Bert. (Karla, will this be Izzy's first wedding?)

Feeling very hungry here but want so badly to make this five days in a row - I owe it to myself and to all of you. Trying to remind myself that I can live with hunger and taking in plenty of no-calorie liquids (fortunately, not an issue for me). Got a lot of veggies, plus strawberries and blackberries, yogurt, etc. As the Rolling Stones sang, "You can't always get what you want - but if you try, sometimes you just might find you get what you need."
  • luzingg
    Options
    Karla, I did the whole orthotic hing in the past and I was in more pain with the inserts than I was with bad shoes. Tried every shape, color and style of new balance and they were all equally uncomfortable. My trainer recommended sketchers walking shoes, which I have worn and loved in the past when I did a lot of walking. Finding them has been a challenge. Everyone carries sketchers of every shape and size but not the walking shoes. That being said, I did find a shoe store today that had the walking shoes. The ones I always wore felt too narrow and do not come in wide. So I bought a pair that have a nice memory foam insole and lots of side support. They slip a little in the heel so hope that is not a problem. Taking my old shoes with me tonight just in case. I may have to order the sauconys with 8mm offset for my over pronation but they are $150! Thanks for thinking of my poor feet, lol.

Got the downstairs of the rental ready for painting. Dreading the upstairs. This house is not as dirty as some I have cleaned. They had 2 young kids and 4 pit bulls. The wife went off the deep end from using heroine and is now in jail. My son had to evict for non payment of rent. Feel bad for the little ones and the dogs.

Ready for work
    Patti
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi gang! I've been awake since 4 this morning-just couldn't go back to sleep. Up at 6:30 for yoga class before picking up Dean for the day. We had a very large time together today - flower shopping, lunch with some friends, helping Dave plant green beans, playing with Ellis and a visit to the local park that has a HUGE playground. We topped it all off with a snowcone and were both sticky from head to toe when his Mama picked him up! Yes! I've resecured my position as favorite aunt once again!

Tomorrow morning Dave and I are doing the OKC Heart Walk with Jessi. This will be 3 years in a row! We think it's important to recognize Dave as a survivor and we enjoy the time together. This year one of Jessi's co-workers and her parents are also participating. It's a huge event with several thousand people and winds through downtown, so it's a fun walk, too. Afterwards, I need to plant all the flowers Deano and I bought today. I finally got my petunias - coral pink - and some other stuff.

Janet - you echo the good reports I've been hearing about the Walmart pick up grocery service. Dean's mom, my niece, Elyse, and several young moms in my WW group all love it! I've heard from WW members that the produce they get from the pickup service is even prettier than they're able to choose themselves in store. Have you had good luck with the produce also? Since I work frequently in Bentonville, AR, Walmart world headquarters, I've watched it expand from one dedicated, pickup only store in Bentonville, to nearly all the stores around here.

Patti - have you tried ordering shoes online from Zappos.com? Free shipping both ways. I've ordered dozens and dozens of shoes from them. I've probably bought 25 or 30 pairs from them over the years. My size 11 narrow, need to work with orthotics feet make it absolute hell to find shoes that fit. Dave marvels that they don't ever cut me off for returning so many. I may go through 5 or 6 orders of anywhere from 1 to 6 or 7 pairs before finding something that works. It also sounds like maybe you have plantar fasciitis (heel spurs). Pain when you first get up, that you "walk off" is a telltale sign. The best shoe I've found, at the direction of a guy known as the "shoe guru" at the local running store, is the Brooks Adrenaline. He said he recommends it for over-pronators with heel spurs. It's been like magic to me. It's a running shoe, but all I do is walk in them. I've never had good luck with dedicated "walking" shoes and have done much better walking in running shoes.

Karla and Bert - have fun and send pix at your respective weddings. Karla, I bet Izzy will feel really special getting to go to the wedding. I remember how much fun that was as a little girl and how much both of my girls loved going to weddings - even as different as their personalities are.

Diane - so sorry your camping trip got cut short. Good luck keeping John down long enough to heal! I chuckled at your comment that Carrie probably enjoyed the time away from y'all. Absence makes the heart grow fonder - even with our kids!

Time to go get my part of supper made.

Later,
    Suzi
  • EniadS
    Options
    Dang - broke my streak of 10k step days. Yesterday was just cold and damp, so I didn't get out much, and didn't have errands that took me walking any aisles. Starting fresh today. I need to cut the grass, so that should do it.

Suzi enjoy your walk! Doing it with friends should make it very nice - hope your weather is good.

Janet, did you make your five days? I did well until last night coming home after choir practice, when I felt I needed a snack. Wish I could have resisted that urge, but I only ended up about 100 calories over for the day, so not horrible. Scale is friendly this morning :). I haven't logged an actual weigh in for almost a month.

Patti when you did orthotics before, had you consulted a podiatrist? Over-the-counter orthotics definitely don't help everyone. I have an appointment with the podiatrist this week because I've been wearing my orthotics faithfully for 4 months now, and my plantar fasciitis is improved but not gone. (Not the same as bone spurs Suzi - it is a ligament sprain or strain.)

All for now. John is off helping a friend tear up and replace their kitchen floor (nope - not keeping him resting for 6-8 weeks!) and I am chauffeuring Carrie around today, with my errands in between.
  • luzingg
    Options
    Thank you all for caring about my feet. I got my orthotics from a sports med MD and was fitted/cast by the physical therapist. My trouble is that the tops of my feet hurt in the morning and my knee hurts at night. Hope John doesn't do more damage to his back. Men are so very stubborn when it comes to resting after injuries. 100 over is not bad, at least you are holding yourself accountable.

Suzi, thanks for the info on Zappos and the Brooks. I am going to give them a try. I also did some research on other brands that make shoes for over pronation. I may go ahead and order the sauconys at the same time. They don't make the same model I wore and loved any more. All are expensive but my feet are so worth it. The reason I was trying walking shoes was because my trained suggested it. Enjoy your family walk for a great cause.

Janet, thanks for the lyric, I think it is a perfect motto for us right now as we all struggle to keep ourselves in check. 5 days and counting for us all it seems.

Hate to report that the sketchers were worse than anything I currently have. The toe box is too tight and I found myself curling my toes under and gripping the memory foam insert to keep them from hitting the top of the shoe. I was actually crying on the way home. At least my feet don't hurt this morning, but they are going back whence they came! I know you all are tired of hearing about my foot woes so I will give it a rest until I find the perfect pair. Then that will be the last of it from me. Off for fun with the girls before another night at Joanns.

Keep up the good work everyone and enjoy this beautiful day in your own special way
    Patti

• bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Patti: I wear Brooks and love them. I also have a pair of Sketchers. I wear them all the time.
  • JP_in_KY
    Options
    Diane, hope John will at least back off a little - back spasms are no fun. Keeping my fingers crossed for Carrie on Tuesday. Please don't fret about 100 over. Yes, I did make it five days straight, but it was a mental struggle all day. To confuse my body, I will allow myself up to one day of a few extra calories each week and one guilt-free splurge meal a month. (Probably having Easter out with a friend so that will be April.)

Suzi, how lovely to do the walk - good company and good weather, fun for a good cause. Was also awake at 4 today - not an awful thing when a friend in need of human contact called and we talked from 6:20-8.

Patti, Brooks have also been decent for Terrible Feet me. You can get shoes with added depth/removable insoles that accommodate orthotics or just for high feet like mine. Zappos or onlineshoes.com. Sometimes you can find bargains on Amazon too.

Karla, just saw the lovely photo of you and Glenn before the wedding. Cute outfit and bag. You two were born to be together.

Bert, hope you're having a wonderful time celebrating at the wedding too.

Cindy, thinking of you.

Hope the rest of your weekends are filled with fun.

• EniadS
    Options
    Well, I ended up going and helping with installing the floor after I got home with Carrie. Good thing too, since we didn't finish up until after five, and that was with me doing most of the complex edge cuts. John couldn't work on the floor anymore, but it took them a while to fit the outside door (had to cut it short to accommodate the new underlayment.) These friends are very nice people but NOT handy at all. They were good at demolition, but not much help with installation, according to John. That's why he called me to come help finish up. So I did not get my 10k steps again today. They took us out to dinner as a thank you - we went to an Irish place and I had lamb stew and an Irish beer. It was good, I tracked it as well as I could (not a chain, and no nutrition info available!) and I am over by only a bit. Good news was the work kept me from snacking!

Karla, I also saw the picture of you and Glenn before the wedding - very nice shot of the two of you, and a lovely outfit. The bag is a nice touch!

Diane

• JP_in_KY
    Options
    Good morning. Hope everyone's Palm Sunday is a truly good day in whatever way you choose.

Not much to share but have cobbled together six days in a row.

Seeing surgeon tomorrow morning. Please keep fingers & toes crossed that I can ditch the scooter, at least partitime. If so, know I will get print fingers and toes from my first serious shower in nearly three months.
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Well I see last night's post didn't post. I hate it when that happens! Had a great time with Jessi, her roomie, coworker and coworker's parents at the Heart Walk yesterday. We even took the dogs with us and they did great on their socialization homework! Several thousand people and several hundred dogs and our babies were the cutest, best behaved ones there! I finished the day with 17,000+ steps.

Planting flowers and doing laundry today before we go to dinner and a show with Jessi and Becky this evening. Sometime I need to get packed for a 4-day in the road work week that starts tomorrow.

Janet - I have everything crossed for your appointment tomorrow!!

Later,
    Suzi
  • luzingg
    Options
    Whew, end of my work week, now I had two days off. But lots to do as usual. Top down on my car on the way home made for a refreshing way to end the week. Not sure what I have to do on the rental tomorrow but I am sure there will be work. Son, DIL and Edd have been working all weekend. Awaiting my orders but not doing anything more until tomorrow.

Janet, al things crossed, prayers have gone up and saying a chant or two for your appointment tomorrow.

Suzi, loved the puppy pic on FB. You wore him plum out! What a wonderful way to spend the day with family, friends and pooches. I have no doubt your fur babies were the best.

Karla, hope you had fun at the wedding and spending time with Glenn and Izzy. Loved your outfit and matching bag. Wish I had your girlie gene. My GFs have it too, it just skipped me for some reason. It feels so un-me when I attempt it, lol.

Diane, somehow I knew you were going to be involved in that project. Being handy is a blessing and a curse isn't it. I think you earned more than enough to make up fo not hitting yor 10K.

Cindy, you are never far from my thoughts and prayers. Hope your home is truly yours soon.

Time to chill.....and do some laundry.....and dishes......and make supper.....hmmmmmm, doesn't sound chill does it?
    Patti
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Hi Girls-
    It has been a week I don't want to repeat for a while- work was very busy with off site meetings Mon-Thursday. Meg came Thursday night and Friday was great with her- and Saturday until we got back from the writer's meeting. My step sister called to say my dad was taken to the hospital, coughing up blood, unable to breath and chest pains. He was refusing to stay until they told him if he left - he would die. He agreed to stay Saturday night and I drove round trip to his place yesterday with the girls and Rick.
    He left against medical advise AGAIN- but he is now on O2 24/7- they diagnosed him with COPD and pneumonia- but all his symptoms and the types of meds he came home with don't support what my dad is saying. And my Step-sister said they told her dad the same thing and he had lung cancer- at the same hospital ER. So I have a whole new wrinkle- which of course is an understatement.
    I've cried, eaten my feelings and sadness. Meg went home today and is on the road to Botkins.
    So feel free to include Dad in your prayers- I know this will be the beginning a long and hard road for us.
    Shining point I packed all good food today and feeling like I can be in control. Well after yesterday I don't think there is any junk food left in the state.
    I missed you all but know you understand.

Patti- Meg is very much looking forward to meeting you.
    No other personals at this moment.
    Cindy
  • luzingg
    Options
    Cindy, I don't know how much stress one woman can handle and I hope we don't have to find out. Wish I was closer to help share it with you. It is so hard to watch our loved ones make choices that we cannot change and that break our hearts. Will include your dad in my prayers. I am glad that you had such a good time with Meg before your dad got sick.

Slept in for the first time in forever and had some wild, but fun dreams. I have a couple hours work to do on the rental so they can show it tonight. They have another one at is empty and ready for clean up. I will try to get started on it today. I told my DIL that I won't have any time until Friday to get back to it. They are leaving for vacation Saturday morning so no rush until they return. Need to hit the grocery and get my laundry done this evening.

Happy to report I lost 4.4 pounds this week, so I guess this tracking and staying on plan stuff works!

Patti
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon, Ladies. We arrived home last night. A VERY LONG drive, but we were glad we went to the wedding. It was important for Mike to re-connect with his half-sisters and their families. I had a visit at 9:00 this morning, and am now catching up on university things.

Patti: Congratulations on your loss. That's amazing!

My tracking was good this week, but once again, my choices weren't the best. That's all in the past, so I'm moving forward this week.

The photos are of the bride and Mike and his half-sisters, and the last one is of Mike and me.
    We needed to prove that he CAN dress up and wear a tie! :Diu8heizkdprd.jpg

v4q7vw0hq1tk.jpg
    sv3ltcvpb8au.jpg

bnpt8j1m90bb.jpg
    ohhlgd1n8r13.jpg
  • EniadS
    Options
    Hello all. Just a quick check in. I am visiting my mother today and tying to get her transition from Verizon email to aol straightened out. What a pain!

I was hoping to see something from Janet by now. Got my fingers crossed!
  • luzingg
    Options
    Bert, you and Mike make such a cute couple. The bride looked so happy. Glad Mike reconnected with his family. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Got so much done today. First rental done and started on ththe second one. Grocery shopping done and second load of laundry in the wash. Now need to cut up some veggies and do a little housekeeping before I call it quits for today

Like Diane I was hoping to hear some good news from Janet

Patti