OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Hi Girls-
    Today is a going to be a blue dot day!
    Yesterday was SO not. Went out to dinner and there were zero even remotely good choices. I ordered pasta as it fills me up fast- I ate 1/4 of the plate and there is enough for 4 more people at least. LOL
    Your love and support means the world to me and you humble me each time I read a positive message. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    The cover for book 6 is almost done- and some of you saw the update to FB- There is a closed group of Friends of LR- if you're interested let me know and I can send you an invite. Its for my "street team" - absolutely NO pressure. But wanted you to know its there.
    Patti- how is Edd- behaving or being a typical guy
    Janet- what is a small container store?
    Karla- what are you going to wear?
    Suzi- I'm sure your racking up blue dots- :)
    Diane- When is your next RV trip and where?
    Bert- safe travels home- sorry about the tree.
    Whats on tap for the weekend? I'm going to buy some new outdoor furniture for my home- as I will be spending time there this summer.... :)
    I'll check in again soon.
    Cindy
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    It's a lazy morning here. Nothing on the agenda and no urgent chores. Our thunderstorms last night were just rain and lightning here, no wind damage, hail or tornados. We got enough rain that I won't need to water in the fertilizer I spread a couple days ago. Today is absolutely lovely - sunny, calm and warm. We've had breakfast on the back porch and spent the rest of our morning out here reading and watching Ellis chase squirrels.

Bert - safe travels on your journey home.
    Waving hello to everyone else.

Looking forward to another blue dot....
    Suzi
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Good morning, got lots done yesterday but unfortunately cannot claim a blue dot. It was a snack all evening kind of night, sheesh! I was a bit miffed at Edd for not getting things done before his surgery that he had time to do. All of which require lifting more than 10 pounds, so now they are left for me to do and lots of them had to be done yesterday. Guess I was eating my frustration since I HAD to be nice to him after surgery, lol. I did say something this morning so I can move on and get my blue dot today. Edd has done very well. Getting up and around, not needing any pain meds, and even able to get in and out of the waterbed without difficulty. He said this morning he was going to tell everyone I stabbed him in the belly. Sounds better than hernia surgery. He is quite a character. Need to get some cleaning done, BFF coming around 3 or 4. Grandson will be here soon to pick up the drapes. I got a bit creative. Took the cut off hem from one panel and made a band to wrap around the folded up drapes. Then used the leftover material to make flowers to pin to the band. The material was like linen so it raveled easily to make pretty flowers.

Janet, Monday's are always best for me. Is there a container store at the outlets or is it in Florence. I will gladly meet you wherever, boot and all. Just want to see your face. Caleb is just the cutest. I bet he had a great birthday. You will be showering him with hugs and kisses when you get up there.

Karla, how nice that the company recognizes his years of service. Edd left Xerox at 35 years. Just not the norm any more. Enjoy being his arm candy!

Bert, so glad you didn't have more damage, I always loved the grandkids "productions". Really miss them being so young. My youngest grandson mentioned children......

Gotta run
    Patti
  • smack59
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/67-science-backed-weight-loss-strategies/

Have any of you read this blog post on MFP? I found it interesting. A lot of the 67 listed strategies I had heard about and/or tried over the years. Some I still do, some I never tried and some that I tried but either didn't like or didn't work for me. I was surprised at several, though, that I'd not heard about. I believe it contains good info and is worth the read if you've not seen it yet or not yet had the chance. How about using this for discussion over the next couple weeks or so - however long it takes us to work our way through it.
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Suzi, thanks for the link - would never have found it on my own, as I use MFP only for the tracker and to commune with all of you.

Diane, how did it go for Carrie at the doc's? Had my PT today - am booked through next week and will be evaluated next Thursday - no idea whether I will need to keep going after that (will need to see what insurance will cover but it would be nice to go once a week for awhile, just to get professional evaluation and more stuff to do as I begin walking more.

Cindy, it's just The Container Store - meaning was that it was small-scale purchasing occasion. I do love small containers though - I think it's genetic with women! Buying outdoor furniture for your home will be fun - please treat yourself to what you REALLY want - do not compromise. I've never had anything more than a couple of cheap chairs and a grill, but because I have a deck here, I got an umbrella table, chairs and a small side table. Wish the weather let me use it more, but on decent days I do sit under my umbrella with coffee and sometimes the Sunday paper. Went onto the deck the other day for the first time in months.

Patti, Container Store is behind Kenwood Town Centre in Cinci, so maybe we can meet near the outlets or I can drive closer to you. Maybe early June? My May Mondays are taken.

Karla, eager to hear about the dinner. My dad had a 40th celebration with his company too. Kids didn't get to go though. Mom got really dressed up for it, but that was the Olden Days of the mid-'90s.

Bert, I trust you got home safely. Hope traffic cooperated (well, as much as it can in Chicagoland! Did Mike get the store damage dealt with?

Blue dot here today and another busy one tomorrow - dentist at 8, going to the shoe store surgeon recommended for something to put on these oddball feet. WHY don't they make shoes for awful feet that are supportive and, at the very least, not utterly hideous? I used to own over 100 pairs of beautiful shoes and hope someday I can at least wear a cute pair of flats for dressy occasions. I am so self-conscious about my necessary footwear that I always wear pants or a long skirt - no way can I wear a normal-length skirt or dress without looking like that one weird lady you seem to see at every baby shower (you know her - very nice, but the one with the rolled-down knee-his). Then a few errands, including taking some online shopping rejects to the PO. Must get some produce into the house so will place a pickup order tonight.

Wishing everyone a good night, a better TGIF, an excellent weekend, and some blue dots!
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Hello all. Another non-blue dot day, but I feel much better about my food choices today. I did track everything - just made a not-so-smart choice at lunch at Panera that put me 400 calories over. Janet, I know you eat there sometimes. What is your better choice from the menu? I am near my 10K steps for the day, even though it was a terribly rainy day. I may walk the house for the last 800 steps! I painted closets at my son's house today, but had to stop and go buy more paint! He had only less than a third of a can, for three closets. I bought a gallon and used every bit of it. Patti, am I painting wrong? How much paint would you use for three standard closets (not walk in, about five feet inside dimension, a 36 inch door opening.)

At Carrie's doctor appointment today he said she could start driving! We went around the block this evening. She felt okay, but will start (with my car) on some very nearby errands in the middle of the day. Time to get serious about replacing her car. He also gave her a work note that says six more weeks, then start back very gradually and with limitations - no lifting, start with four hours shifts for two weeks then gradually increasing. She wants to go talk to her manager next week. (Doc would have let her start in a bit over a month, but she has a trip to a music festival planned with friends and wants to wait until after that to start working again.) Janet, she is still getting PT twice a week for at least six more weeks.

Suzi, I skimmed to article you linked. It looks like some interesting ideas - some I do, and some I never thought of. Would love to discuss which ones work and how people might follow or modify them.

Cindy, I would love to get new outdoor furniture. Ours is perfectly serviceable, but it is white with a glass top table, and it sits under a big messy oak tree. Would love to get something easier to keep clean.

Patti, glad Edd seems to be healing well. Yes, we have the same thing here - lists of things that need to be done, but the things that get done are not the priority ones! It has amazed me for years that John could plan an extremely complex, years long schedule for work, but can't think through a series of tasks at home and plan a logical sequence. Process engineering is one of my specialties - think independent versus dependent tasks, critical path tasking, etc.
    So I really get annoyed when people won't listen to me when I tell them that THIS thing needs to be done now, and THAT one can wait! Just think of the workout you are getting with all that lifting.

Janet, have you checked out the Happy Feet store? My podiatrist recommended Vionic brand as very supportive - not beautiful but there were some that were at least not hideously ugly. Carrie is wearing a pair of hiking shoes right now, and her doctor approved. (But I would term those hideously ugly for every day!)

Bert, how did you do on your food choices while at your son's (daughter's?) house? I find it hard to eat healthy while a guest, but at least I don't snack as much!

Karla, 40 years is a long time! Congrats to Glenn. John worked 36 1/2 years for the Navy, and I worked 33 1/2. All we get are pins for every five years - nothing like a dinner!

• JP_in_KY
    Diane, my Panera go-to is nearly always the You Pick Two - a soup and half a salad, with an apple for a side. Their website has comprehensive nutrition info. My soups of choice are black bean and chicken noodle (very bland so I try to add some zing if I can). Right now they have the strawberry/poppyseed chicken salad, which also has mandarin slices, pineapple and blueberries. The poppyseed dressing is a favorite (I got Karla hooked on it too) and low-calorie. As I am prone to do, I sometimes add a bit of heat with a touch of hot sauce. Haven't found a sandwich there that's truly in keeping with my needs but every now and then I'll get half a sandwich. Hope that helps.

Can't get to sleep but need to try because alarm goes off early again - fourth ay this week. Saturday had better see me sleeping until 9 or 10!
  • luzingg
    My BFF left a little bit ago and I am feeling sad. We see each other so little, the time flies when we are together but the. It ends so quickly. Her mom and 2 sisters live here with most of their extended family too. She is planning more frequent trips as her Mom is not in the best health. Hoping to have a trip this summer where she can come to the cabin for a weekend. She loves my place because she is able to totally relax there.
    This was a blue dot day. The fish was fabulous! Perfectly seasoned and cooked on my new grill mesh thingy.

Diane, if the closets are fresh drywall, I would say that amount of paint seems right. If it is simply a recoat I think you might be putting it on too thick. Was that 2 coats in each closet? So happy to hear the news for Carrie. She seems to be moving along so well.

Janet, I should be able to meet you at Kenwood. We just need to find a date that works for both of us. I can also change my day with Mom to Monday if Tuesday works better. I have lots going on this month too. Let's find an early June date and put it on our calendars, shall we. Good luck with the shoe store.

Karla, Glenn looked so handsome. I know you were beyond proud of him.

Suzi, haven't had a chance to check out the article but will in the morning.

That is all I can think of for tonight. Time for bed.,working the next 4 days. Looking forward to cutting back to 2 days a week starting in June.

Sweet dreams, if dreams there be
    Patti
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies. No time for personals today. We had a bad storm at home while I was in Chicago. Power went out about 10:30 pm on Wednesday and has yet to be restored! I'm at Greg and Carrie's house to shower and charge my phone and laptop. Will check in later.

Bert
  • JP_in_KY
    Hi - Going to make this quick because I'm experiencing the revenge of the pre-dental antibiotics.

All is well in my mouth. Got two colors of the extremely ugly but appropriate shoes after a thorough discussion, observation and fitting by a very nice kid who knew his stuff and congratulated me on my choice of surgeon. This guy has quite the reputation! Will start with an hour, twice a day, tomorrow. Not going out with them until my feet can handle the time required.

I love shoes and feel very self-conscious about having to wear horrible and often occasion-inappropriate shoes. If I can just get to the point where I can own a pair or two of shoe that aren't grotesque clunky, & utterly unfeminine shoes, it will be a victory.

OK - going to have a shower and put PJs on before the game. Trying to stay on the blue-dot road but also trying to quell my system somehow.

Happy weekend!
  • smack59
    It's late but I wanted to stop by for a quick check in. Blue dot day plus yoga, weight training and 14,500+ steps. Excited to see what tomorrow's WI brings...
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies! We have power!!!!!! It came on last night. SO THANKFUL! More mulch was delivered yesterday as I guess I didn't buy enough. There is a faith based group called Teen Challenge that we "hired" to come spread it. It is a program for young men who have been in difficult times and were placed in the program through the court system. Our friend uses them all the time to help her with home projects. They are returning this morning this morning to finish spreading the mulch. The whole project was quite expensive, but I feel God led me to have them come and spread the mulch this year. At least what we are paying them goes toward keeping the program going as it relies on donations. It's a win-win for all. Need to go.

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Good morning ladies and welcome to the weekend. I am going to strive for the Blue Dot days myself now that things should be slowing down! Well, until our 10 day vacation next month to Nebraska. We are going to Glenn's family reunion. He has a huge family on his mother's side. So loving and always so fun.

Suzi- I know you will rock the scales again this week as you have been leading this group with such blue dot gusto!! I smell victory!!

Bert- That sounds like an excellent program for the youth. To lead them in the right direction. I need to get some mulch and get going on my flowerbeds. I am behind!!

Patti- I know you had a wonderful visit with your friend. Your fish sounded delist. Are you working this weekend? I am going by Joann's today to pick up some baby blanket material to make one for my nephew's new baby, due the 15th! This Monday!! I better get going.

Janet- Darn for those ugly shoes! I feel the same way when I see my eye looking funky in pictures. We both handle it will grace and disguise.

Glenn and I had a wonderful adult evening last evening. No grandkids. We took an early nap from being out late with the dinner, and then awoke, showered and watched movies and enjoyed our time.

Happy Mother's Day to all whom celebrate it and to those furbaby mothers..they are our special children. I bathed Millie this morning. I am taking her to a new vet for her annual exam and vaccinations this morning.

Have a great day!!

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
    The picture professionally taken at Glenn's dinner. I can't stop bragging about him!!

Karls
  • luzingg
    Hi everyone, a blue dot day for me yesterday. Was cashier yesterday and it went better, feeling more comfortable. The little 20 something I work with most put in her 2 week notice. Wanted to do a happy dance but thought it would be rude. She was a poor fit for the job to say the least. They have hired some new people and I empathize with them, it wasn't so long ago that I looked just like them, lol! Working 2-7 today and then 8-4 tomorrow. They asked me to come in 3 hours early to help scan fabric before my shift. Then I am going to take dinner and gifts to Mom's. She forbid me to buy flowers, said they jack up the prices for Mother's Day. I will take her some on Tuesday, she didn't forbid that, lol. Edd is doing great. Has taken no pain meds and is getting around well. He went with the son to Costco yesterday to get my Mothers Day gift, a really cool, large soft sided cooler that comes with a detachable all terrain hand trolley. Will be great for the boat and the beach. What can I say I am a simple girl with simple tastes. I actually saw it last week and sent Mike a picture. Today Edd is attending a poker run charity event for a friend who has cancer. He followed orders and had someone pick him up. He is a bit bummed that he cannot participate in the motorcycle ride but he can't lift his leg up and over the seat, let alone hold up the bike and ride.

Karla, love the photo of you and Glenn, you guys make such a handsome couple.

Bert, hat a great program. Wish there were more of those around the country. We need to continue to find ways to redirect our troubled youth.

Suzi, you just keep on rocking. Read the article and agree we should pick a topic to discuss. Might help us all as we regain our focus.

Janet, I have never had the trouble with my feet that you have but have never been able to wear pretty shoes without pain. I can honestly say that after having met you, your smile keeps people looking up, not down. Just happy that you may have some footware that is comfortable and hoping you can graduate to some pretty flats.

Diane, I suppose you are slaving away at your son's. Sure wish I was there to help. I am that sick person who loves to paint.

Cindy, praying for a calm and productive LR weekend for you. Count me for wanting to be a part of anything to do with LR, add me to your group. I am looking forward to the release of book six and purchasing my coffee mugs.

OMG WEEKEND: I think we should start making our plans. 2nd weekend of October, right. Now we just need to agree on a place and make our reservations. October in Amish country is a busy time. Are we just looking at Friday to Sunday or Thursday to Sunday, since one day is a long travel day for us all. Just a thought.

Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    Hi, all --

Suzi, bet you had a major loss this week - again!

Karla, what a terrific picture - you look maybe 40! Nice souvenir from an important occasion.

Patti, glad the pesky little cow is leaving. You'd be a great mentor there, but only for the deserving. Glad Edd is doing so well.

Bert, congrats on the power returning. Whew. Nice that you were able to help a great organization and get help with your outdoor work.

Wishing all the mothers (and your mothers) a wonderful day tomorrow.

Time to think about doing a few things to distract myself from being ravenous!
  • smack59
    Well dammit! I just want to throw a fit. I was actually up 0.2 this week. One of those totally unexplained weigh-ins. I know they happen to everyone occasionally, but good grief are they ever hard to take when it happens.

Today was a NOT blue dot. Had several indulgences at a graduation party and I've tracked it as best I can. Still WPA left, so I'm good there. It's late, I'm tired, you get the drift...

Happy Mothers Day to all in case I don't make it here tomorrow.

Suzi
  • bertevans
    Happy Mother's Day, Everyone!

Bert
  • luzingg
    Happy Mother's Day one and all. It was not so very long ago that I got depressed on this day, even though my stepson always made me feel special, this will be my second Mother's Day knowing my daughter knows me and the third that I get to spend with my own precious Mom. I am truly and wonderfully blessed.

Off to work, won't be back until around 8 or 9 and then I work tomorrow 10-3 and hope to meet with the girl that wants me to paint her house.

Patti
  • KarlaLM58
    Good morning and Happy Mother's Day to all.

Suzi- With all your steps and incline on the treadmill it could be muscular. Plus. .2 is nothing. I know it is frustrating. Don't let it ruin your streak. Keep on the blue dot trail. Look at the big losses you have had. You are rocking as our brave leader.

Patti- You are indeed blessed. You shame me on how busy you are. Between work, your mom, painting and the gym, you are on the go. I need to get my plumeria placed today..

Bert - Happy Mother's Day. Is your pool clear?

Janet- Thank you for the sweet compliment on my picture. I am blessed with smooth skin.

My Glenn just woke up, so we will have our tea and coffee together. Enjoy your day, whatever it may be.

Me, I miss my mother in heaven today as many of you may too.

Karla