OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Happy Mother's Day!

Karla: the pool is clear! Going to try to sweep up the rest of the algae today. A hose blew off and we lost water. Finally got water delivered yesterday. It's been a busy and frantic week

Bert
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Hello all. Happy Mother's Day to those mothers among us, and those terrific aunties and motherly people in our lives. I am thankful to have my mother still with us and sharp, even if her health is not as good as we would hope. I miss my MIL dearly. Friday was the fifth anniversary of her death. Yesterday I spent the day with my mother, taking her to the funeral for one of my childhood neighborhood friends then spent the afternoon at her place doing small chores. John and Carrie came and fixed dinner and my sister came too. Nothing much happening today. Son and DIL are out of town at a wedding. They gave me a DVD of Hidden Figures so we may watch that tonight.

I think the concentration on blue dot days is helping me even if I don't make my goal of five per week. My scale has consistently been a lower number for a week, long enough that I recorded it. I've lost three pounds in the last four weeks. That is a good rate of progress for me, since I am trying to eat and be active in a way that is sustainable for the long term.
  • EniadS
    Suzi, .2 is nothing but I know you are frustrated. Just keep up the blue dots and I bet next week will be a terrific loss. Did you have a high sodium or low water day the day before WI? That really does me in.

Janet, how is the walking coming? Ugly shoes are better than a boot!

Bert, yay for power! I think the longest we went was six days in the dead of winter. Are you on a well or on city water? We are on a well so when we lose power we don't have water. We got a generator for that reason.

Karla how are the plumerias? Do you have a greenhouse you put them in for the winter?

Patti had to laugh about Edd grumbling about not riding when he is less than a week out of surgery. I wish you were closer too and could come help paint! I'm not all that good at it but at least I am getting it done. I have all the upstairs doors done and am going to tackle the downstairs ones this week. Should take me two days.

Cindy I hope you had a relaxing weekend with your writing. Did you find outdoor furniture?

All for now. I've finished my yard work for today and am going to spend some time sewing.
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Hi, all, and happy Mother's Day.

Hoping for a blue dot today but am fighting hunger. Picked up lots of good, healthy food today though. Watching hoops and trying to cope with a complex tangle of emotions. It'll pass.

Big hugs to all - how did you all celebrate?
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Final check in for the day. I worked 8 hours and my feet are not happy, but at least I worked with all the other hardworking ladies, none of the youngins, lol. Dinner was a Wendy's single burger plain, topped with chopped olives mixed with a little mayo (one of Mom's favorites) and we split a fry. Doesn't sound very fancy, but she ate with gusto! It's all about spending time with her and making her smile. Will take her some flowers on Tuesday as an extra surprise, since I was forbidden to buy them today. Got a call from my son and a text from my daughter. Edd took care of his own dinner, chicken tenders from KFC, so life is good here.
    Meeting with the girl for the painting after work tomorrow. I am no longer working weekends! So ready to get to the cabin and have some fun. Looks like we have about 10 folks coming for Memorial Day, may be more, just never know.

Talk more tomorrow.
    Patti
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. It's a beautiful sunny morning. I have several things on my agenda today. I need to go to the grocery store and replenish the refrigerator. I'll go to the gym this morning before heading to the store. My health is going to be #1 today rather than putting my workouts on the back burner. I'll even walk today in the neighborhood.

Diane: Yes, we have well water. If it had to happen, I'm glad the temperatures were ok. We might look into a generator for the reason you mentioned.
    Congrats on your weight loss. I'm trying so hard, but am not getting anywhere. I've gained 3 pounds within the last 5 weeks. I want to lose 20, but would settle for losing something!

I think I've missed something along the way. I don't get Blue Dot Days. Can someone explain?

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Marking my spot- i'll be back shortly
  • luzingg
    Good morning, wish I was off today, feet really hurt. They are some better after using Voltaren gel which is the equivalent of topical Advil. Need to hit the grocery but not sure my feet will be up for it after work and paint walk trough and estimate.

Bert, Suzi has the WW explanation but for the rest of us we are each deciding what an on plan day looks like. For example, staying within calorie limit, tracking ,exercise or step goal and drinking all your water. Staying on plan is then reported as a Blue Dot day.

Off I go
    Patti
  • cindyr619
    Hello All-
    The weekend was the best in a long time- we bought beautiful new table and chair set, two swivel rockers and need to get the ottomans and umbrella to finish the spruce up. Saturday was LR time and it was highly productive and yesterday was puttering around the yard and plants from fox gloves from Emily. So i'm taking the weekend and a big win.
    The ceramic mugs are in and I think the stainless were delivered today- so excited.
    Date for release of Love in the Looking Glass seems to be holding for June 19-

Diane- so glad Carrie's been released to drive- she must feel like hopping on cloud nine.
    Janet- ugly shoes will soon be in your rearview mirror- patience dear friend.
    Patti- are you just walking to much or is something else going on with your tootsies?
    Karla- the picture of you and Glenn just beautiful.
    Suzi- sometimes the scale is just plain mean- and maybe water retention?
    Bert- glad you got your power back on and are fully functional again- how is the pool, crystal clear?
    I'm going to blue dots based on time of day- morning , afternoon and evening- thus striving for 3 blue dots for the day. I'm going way back to basics. it's all good.

Yes- we do need to start deciding on the OMG retreat.
    Need to run- I need an LR lunch hour.
    Talk to you all soon.
    Cindy
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Hi, all -

Cindy, how do I find the LR FB group? I'm in! Would love to see the mugs too - keep us posted. Swivel rockers sound divine - so happy to hear it was a good weekend.

Patti, been meaning to try Biofreeze on my hands, feet and back and you reminded me - thanks. Hope your feet are better. Glad you had fun taking your mom out. You can get olives at Wendy's????? Cool.

Suzi, .2 is a maintain. Heck, clothing alone can account for far more of a difference than that (assuming you don't get weight necked at WW!). Love your pup pictures - how has Dinky adapted to having an annoying baby brother?

Bert, I love the taste of well water - cold & crisp. Is that why you have water delivered for the pool? Happy to know you got it cleared out. Hope you and Patti are both having the same gorgeous day we're having. Just glorious - but big heat's on the way.

Diane, you're so right - ugly shoes beat a boot any day. Within 2-3 weeks I hope to be completely out of the boot. If my PT clears me, I will be road-tripping to SC this weekend. Need some Car Tunes me-time.

Karla, you must be exhausted from your busy weekend. The bracelet Glenn gave you is lovely - did you help him pick it out or was it a surprise? I'm a big fan of mixed semiprecious stones - had a ring made a couple of years ago with an emerald-cut garnet in the center, flanked by two orange fire opals. It's my fall favorite. My endless quests are for just the right peridot, a citrine and the perfect very dark, royal purple amethyst = if I win Powerball that'd be easier though.

Had a very busy morning's worth of errands - took a Macy's return package to the UPS Store, dropped a friend's birthday gift at the PO, took online return to Nordstrom Rack, got the car washed inside & out (my twice/year expensive cleaning, but worth it - and got to sit on an outside bench in the shade while I waited. Picked up a few groceries at Kroger and managed not to mow anyone down with the motorized cart. Victory!

Funny story here - the toads made me go to Staples. Yes, you read that right. Had a couple of small boxes to add to my recycling bin, so I took my small scissors out to help knock them down. Carried the flattened boxes to the bin - cane in my right hand, boxes under left arm, a small bag of trash & the scissors in my left hand and my keys around my wrist. As I dropped the last little bag of trash into my trash can, two toads came hopping out from a crack between the curb and the end of my driveway. I was so startled that I dropped the scissors into the trash can and my keys fell in too!

Fortunately, the keys landed on top of the bags of trash, clean & easy to fish out with my cane. The scissors, though, did a voyage to the bottom of the big, wheeled trash can. It just didn't make sense to upend the big can while a bit impaired to fish them out (they were cheap basics), so - the toads made me go to Staples for a new pair of scissors. And when I got home, one was sunning himself in front of the empty recycling bin.

Hope everyone is having a terrific day with blue dots galore.

• EniadS
    Hi all. I think today can be declared a blue dot day! My first one in a while. Bert, I define my blue dot days as tracking everything, staying within my calories plus exercise calories, and meeting my OMG (which for me right now is five fruits and vegetables daily.) I did my exercise class this morning, then came home and spread mulch. We had left one area because our neighbor was getting mulch, and she didn't know if she would use it all. Well, four weeks later she still has a pile, but says she is going to use it all now. So we got two pickup loads and I spread it today. Then cleaned my very dirty house!

I really don't know how I ever had time to work. I am busy every single day this week. That may be contributing to my scale success - when I am bored I tend to eat. I'm taking my mother to the doctor on Wednesday, Tuesday and Friday doing some more painting, and Thursday a field trip at the Wetlands Sanctuary. Next week John has a business trip to San Diego and I am going along, and we are extending by a few days.

John took Carrie car shopping today - to CarMax, just to sit in and look at some to narrow the possibilities. She didn't drive any yet, but they found several worth researching more. Crash safety rating is a huge thing for us! (obviously!)

Janet, hoping you get to do your road trip! You so need some out-of-the-house time. Loved the story of the toads.

Cindy, for your situation I like the idea of mini blue dots for each meal. Sometimes when I indulge early in the day I just binge all day because the day is shot. The mini blue dots would help keep you on track throughout the day.

Bert, you do indeed need to put time for yourself onto your agenda. I hope you got your gym trip in today.

Patti, your poor feet! At least you will be working fewer days with not doing weekends. Have fun surprising your mom with flowers tomorrow.

Karla, Glenn just loves to spoil you! What a beautiful bracelet.

Suzi, I saw your new Facebook picture - you look like you are glowing with happiness and good health in it!

• luzingg
    Janet, I was cracking up over your toad story. You are a gem! Will say extra prayers that you get your road trip and that you do it with minimal pain. You definitely deserve a trip and I know how much you treasure your friend and how much you love your time with him.

Cindy, where and when can I get my mugs, cups... Whatever you have with your logo. Cannot tell you how excited I am for this next chapter in your LR life. Also so glad you have found a way to make your home outdoor space a sanctuary. You are "fierce" and I rarely use that word.

Suzi, LOVE your FB pic. You are such a gorgeous woman.

Bert, so happy to hear the power is on and more happy that you are putting yourself first now. It might help you to stay off the scale for a bit and just do your plan. Sometimes the negative reinforcement is it's own kind of sabotage.

Super busy day at work, so glad I used the voltaren gel. My feet did so much better. They just don't like doing an 8 hour shift, lol. We had 2 more people quit. One was a manager that I work with a lot and like, the other was a super hard day shift worker (she is moving out of area). It is going to get worse there for a bit. So glad I have already scaled back. Will start painting in June. They are on a budget and looking to have the painting done by next spring. We agreed on me working about 3 hours a week. It is a big 2 story. Huge living room, large dining room and kitchen, big entry and foyer. 3 bedrooms, stairwell, hall and 1 bathroom. Only thing I am not painting is the hall bath and kitchen cabinets. So lots to do. She is the granddaughter of one of my BFs, the one who just turned 70. I have known her since she was a kid, so it is like working for family. Looking forward to helping her out. The challenge: everything is currently dark- Browns, oranges and greens. She is going with shades of light gray. Lots of oil based primer is the first job!

See you fine ladies tomorrow

Let's talk OMG retreat soon
    Patti
  • cindyr619
    Hi Girls-
    I'll be posting information about the ceramic mugs and stainless steel mugs in the next few days. I'm waiting on shipping boxes which arrive tomorrow. Then- we're off to the races.
    Patti- you made my day- thank you
    Janet- check your invites on FB - I sent you an invite to like the LR page- if not I'll resend. :)
    If anyone is interested there is also a closed page- for the "Street Team" of LR- again no pressure but if you're interested I'm planning a few contests and the like for the closed group. To thank the people who spread the love of LR. ;)
    Janet- toads- only you. I might "borrow" that story some time. It was great.
    Diane- glad Carrie is car shopping- Subaru's have great safety ratings and I love my CrossTrek. Great on gas too.

I am considering yesterday a 2 blue dot day. I ate two oreo's after dinner. But otherwise a really focused day. So feeling stronger as I enter Tuesday.
    I'll be back later.
    Cindy
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. Today is house cleaning day as my girl has cancelled two times. I'll do what I can. I'm also going to sweep the pool and organize the garage a little. Mike was called into work (woo hoo!) today, so I can organize the shelves and get things off the floor. He's not the most organized person in the world, but works very hard.

We went over to Greg and Carrie's last night for a cook out. Mike played baseball with Cole. Jillian wanted to be included, so Mike helped her field the ball and also helped her hold the bat. She has never played before and probably should. She hit the ball the first time he threw it to her and has a great arm! We had a great evening.

One of my students asked me for a letter of recommendation. I gladly wrote one for her as she did a great job (unlike some of the students I had this semester).

Patti: Thanks for the explanation. Yesterday was a Blue Dot day for me, then. I stayed within my calorie limit. I need to focus on drinking more water.

Janet: Fabulous story! Greg and Carrie have toads living at the end of their driveway. I get startled every time I walk there.

Diane: I did get to the gym yesterday. I want to go again in the morning and Friday morning. I definitely feel better after I go.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • luzingg
    It is a gorgeous morning and I expect it to be a glorious day. Coffee and breakfast with my favorite ladies, time with Mom, gym and a healthy dinner with Edd is the makings of a perfect day in my book.

Bert, your grandkids are so blessed and I love that Jillian is getting a chance to show her skills. I bet she never forgets that grandpa got her started. Sounds like you have a lot planned for today, don't overdo.

Cindy, how do we get onto the closed "Street Team"? I love all the positive energy you are giving off right now. Make it work for you!

Time to go. Back tonight to see what the rest of the crew is up to.
    Patti
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    *****crawling out from under the rock and reporting for duty*****

After 3 no blue dot days, I'm still here and have been reading, but just didn't have the energy to post. Won't get into it all here but suffice it to say I'm not happy with most of my family. Dave and Jessi haven't hit the s#%* list yet, but they're about the only ones who haven't. Hair dresser just arrived. Back for more later...
  • smack59
    smack59 Posts: 316 Member
    My color is cooking, so I have time to finish my post. I've not been out of control or completely off the rails, but just in an "I don't wanna" mood. That means no tracking at all on Sunday and more indulgences than WPA on Saturday and Monday, so I'll need to step up my game the rest of the week. We were supposed to have a big weekend at the lake with the whole family, and I would have missed my WW meeting on this coming Saturday, but it's now off. Not sure whether we're going to be making the trip or not. The weather is supposed to be bad and we've bought tickets to see the OU softball team in the first round of the NCAA's on Friday and Saturday. After the rocky start to my WW week, I'm not sure whether to hope we're home so I can get the positive reinforcement I'll need from my tribe or hope we're at the lake so I've got an additional week to play catch up.

Diane - is Carrie excited to drive and regain that independence or is she scared of it? Given what she's been through, it would be understandable if she's scared of it. Glad to hear the scale is moving for you. It reinforces that it works if you work it... I find all kinds of AA-WW parallels.

Patti - enjoy your Mom day!

Bert - advice from a former athlete and sports Mom: if Jillian expresses any interest, with those natural talents, get that kid on a team! Team sports can be such a positive experience and teaches so many life lessons that are hard to replicate anywhere else.

Cindy - although it's not my usual genre, I was looking at your books on Amazon last night to get them for my kindle. The site said they weren't available for immediate download to my device or something about like that. Are they available in electronic format? If they are, how do I get them? Your enthusiasm is so contagious, it's time I joined the party.

Janet - I'm keeping everything crossed for you to go road tripping. I laughed out loud at the toad story. You "pulled a Suzi" as those kind of incidents are known around here. Tooooo funny
  • cindyr619
    Hi Suzi-
    There shouldn't be any issues that I'm aware of in downloading any of the books. Can you try again and let me know if you're still having the issue? And THANKS for jumping into the LR posse. :)
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Cindy/ is East Stroudsburg, PA or Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA anywhere near where you are wanting our OMG retreat? Do you have rates on the place? Could we get a group discount and several of us bunk up if my Wyndham are not close enough? There's also one that is a single dwelling condo in Tamiment, PA? I've never heard of any of these. Lol. I think the first resort is near the Poconos. Didn't you say Hershey was close? They have one there through RCI. Chatting online now with an agent. The Suites at Hershey. Looks like no openings there in October. Really have to plan further in advance on these. The Hershey is the only close one the agent said. Bummer. I'm going to call and how much to pay for room with my other points.

I'm having two good days in a row. Blue dot for me this week is just tracking and staying within calorie level. I am at home working today. I have a hair appointment at 3:00 to get my grey stripe removed, as Patti would say.

Suzi- Don't let the family run you crazy now. Stand your ground and don't ruin your blue dots!!! I'm getting on my plan and texting you, Cindy and Stephanie my tracker.. I'm sipping water today starting on my steps when done here.

Back in a bit.

Karla

• luzingg
    Karla, I think Cindy was looking at Amish country which is about an hour and a half west of the Poconos. Check Hershey, Harrisburg, York and Lancaster. These are all part of Amish country.
    Congrats on getting your blue dot days going.

Suzi, so sorry to hear about the discord in the family. Funny how they have the power to ruin a good roll sometimes. Do what makes life good for you to get your blue dots!

Watched a really good movie with mom today called "Bernie" with Jack Bkack and Shirley McClain. Very different and based on a true story. We started to watch the new PBS series, Victorain Slums (I think that was the name) we watched about 20 minutes and it was just too depressing. Set in London 1860-1910. Modern day families living the life of those times in one of London's east end slums. So very sad and can't imagine why anyone would sign up to live like that. This is a true survivor show!

Time to get ready to return to the gym. Been off for two weeks because of travel, Edd's surgery and my GFs visit

Patti