OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies. We are heading to Chicago to watch Dylan play ball and Penny perform in her dance recital. It will be a quick trip, but will thoroughly enjoy it.

Patti: The dresses are so cute!

Waving hi to everyone! Have a great day!

Bert
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Good afternoon all. I’ve been busy but have some good and bad news.

Good: the scale said 199 this morning!that was after sweating while weeding for 2.5 hours but still good!

Bad: the security staff at my mom’s complex called and she had fallen and couldn’t get up. She laid there for an hour until a neighbor in the hall heard her calling. She had her emergency button on but said it was under her so she couldn’t reach it to push it. Security got her in her chair and called EMTs because her oxygen was down to 89 but she refused to go to the hospital. I agree with that actually because there isn’t many ch they could do, and if she lays n the hospital bed she’ll just get weaker. And if she was laying flat for over an hour I’m sure that was the cause of her low oxygen. She can’t breathe well laying flat.

More bad: texted my brother 20 minutes away and asked him to get check on her Tonight or tomorrow. That was two hours ago and I haven’t heard back.

I went fabric shopping. The flannel I
  • EniadS
    Oops hit post reply. Better than losing it all I guess. Flannel was on sale so I bought enough for 4 of those car seat blankets. I need to get one made tonight. A young friend just had her little girl.
  • EniadS
    Bert I’m sure Penny and Dylan are thrilled you are coming. That is the kind of thing the children remember.

Patti thanks for the pattern number. McCalls aren’t on sale until next weekend. But I found a link to a really cute one on Pinterest. I think I’ll attempt it after the blanket.

Waving to everyone else!
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    diane, your Mom is smart and your brother is .......! congrats on Onederland! can you share the Pinterest site for the sundress please.
  • EniadS
    Patti the pattern wasn't on pinterest but just on a site, but a free download of the pattern. I downloaded it and I can send it to you if you want so you don't have to create an account. Here is the link:https://shwinandshwin.com/2013/06/summer-breeze-baby-dress-free-pdf.html

I'm going to line the skirt too, and when I attach the skirt to the bodice leave the lining free and then stitch it over the skirt gathers, so all seams will be covered. I like that it has the onesie underneath.

Almost done with the two blankets I decided to make. Will post pictures when done. The dress will have to wait until tomorrow.

• EniadS
    Finished the blankets! One is flannel and the other is fleece. pu37w263ln0a.jpeg
    7aw7ni3ofoyv.jpeg
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Diane, how distressing that your mom fell, and that your brother didn’t respond. No words. The blankets are adorable.

Bert, hugs from the little ones make life so much better.

Cindy, happy anniversary!

Karla, how was your party?

Patti, how is the cabin?

Been interrupted constantly all weekend so trying to get a few things done this afternoon. Hugs to all.
  • EniadS
    Quiet Sunday on the board - hope everyone is having a good day.

I did hear back from my brother eventually - he waited until today to go over (which was probably fine - mom had several neighbors check up on her through the day yesterday.) He was to be there at lunchtime today, and either get her down to the dining room or take her something to eat. Sundays they have a midday buffet and no dinner service. We need to get her doing her exercises to help build back some strength and balance.

This afternoon was Brad and Rossanne's "welcome to summer" party - we went and stayed for a couple hours. It was nice even though I only know a few of their friends. But I got me some baby time!

I think I'm going to sew on the sundress for the rest of the evening.

Hope everyone is having a good day, either productive or lazy, whichever you want!

Diane
  • EniadS
    I finished the dress for my little sweetie! It turned out so cute. It has a onesie sewn in so her little tummy doesn’t hang out. Not very practical for crawling, but really cute!
  • luzingg
    edited June 2018
    Late check in but at least I made it. Did try to post yesterday but lost it. We had a very laid back and relaxing weekend . Visited with our friend Friday who had the heart attack . He is doing well but getting a bit antsy. He will be off work until at least August. He has had a few alerts recently on his life vest. He has no symptoms and has never been shocked. I asked him to check with the cardiologist to see if he can find out what is setting off the alarms. I think it would help him and me (probably mostly me) to know exactly what we are dealing with. I did chastise his girlfriend for not getting her CPR training yet. The lady next door to them is a nurse and teaches CPR and has told her she would teach her. I think she is having a hard time coping with the seriousness of his condition and is still in a bit of denial. She and I have been friends for almost 30 years so I know she was not offended or upset with me for pushing her, but I needed her to get it done. They are 30 minutes from any sort of medical facility and if the neighbor's are not home there is nobody around for miles. She gets it.
    Saturday my friend from KY and her family came for the afternoon and lunch. I made a huge salad of mixed greens tossed with strawberries, mushrooms, red onions, sweet and bell peppers and shaved honey crisp apples. Added garlic and lime marinated grilled chicken, goat cheese and and toast d slivered almonds. Final step was to dress it with honey lime vinegrette. It was a smash hit with enough left over, sans chicken, to serve with an equally wonderful dinner that I made for the neighbor's and us. I tried grilled radishes for the first time. Pretty danged tasty.
    Today we just sat on the porch with the neighbor's and chatted the day away. Only blot on the weekend was that the fridge we took down did not work. So we are calling it the summer of the great fridge massacre! 3 dead in 2weeks. I really need another one by the 4th. We have a crowd coming and one fridge is not going to cut it.

Diane, that dress is adorable. How clever to add the onesy. Yes, please send the download. I have some cute fabric that could work. I picked up my new to machine. It is more basic than I thought but I think I will keep it for clothing and dedicate my other machine to home dec, upholstery and heavy fabrics. I hope it makes better button holes than my current machine.

Waving a big hi to all and hope Cindy's time with Meg restored her heart and soul as only a daughter can do.

Patti
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Hi All-
    Meg's visit was wonderful and Saturday was just for us- really nice and I'm so thankfully she was here. She witnessed some of Rick's forgetfulness and asked what was going on. When she lived in NY she worked in a facility for patients dealing with dementia- she was very concerned as SHE asked me. Still haven't heard from the testing facility but I told him I'd give it a few days before following up.
    Editing on book 2 is going well- lots of things going on in the book world.

Diane- the sewing projects are adorable, you and Patti are quite the seamstress. Sorry about your Mom and you're brother needs to get knocked up side the head.
    Patti- you're making me chuckle with the fridge saga- i know its not funny but you're handling it well.
    Janet- how's the heat in KY? Golfing going well ;)
    Bert- enjoy the kids
    Karla- I'm sure you're enjoy the grands over the weekend.
    Have a great day.
    Cindy
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good morning, Ladies. It is with a heavy heart to say that my cousin passed away very early this morning. I know it is better for her, but is always harder on the family. She didn't want any kind of funeral, but Ginny (her daughter) wants something, to they will do some type of celebration of life service. So, now the only lving immediate family is my brother and Ginny.

Dylan's games got rained out, so we didn't get to see him play this season. He will play in the summer and fall, so I'm sure we will get to watch him at some point. Penny's recital was cute. She did two numbers; hip-hop and ballet. Annie says Penny wants to quit dancing lessons and try gymnastics. I think she loves being on stage so we shall see. Jillian is the same way. She doesn't like the lessons, but loves being onstage. She will try ballet this year.

Patti: Your salad sounds delicious. Did you make the honey lime vinagrette? If so, please share how you made it as well as the garlic lime chicken.

Diane: The dresses are so cute.

Cindy: Sorry to hear of Rick's dementia. I'm glad you had a great time with Meg.

Karla: Your recital pictures are so cute.

Janet: We had big thunderstorms over the weekend. We got home around 10pm last night and found our patio table and umbrella tipped over. Our house sits at an angle and whenever the storm winds hit, our table/umbrella are a target.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • luzingg
    Good morning, it is supposed to rain here again. My poor garden is drowning! I want to get out and try to find Mom a chair. She wants a non rocking recliner, almost impossible to find. May have to special order and it will take 6 weeks. She doesn't want to wait that long, lol. We will be leaving next Tuesday on our bike trip. Have to go to the cabin first to drop off the dog, which means I have to drive the car down and Edd will follow with the bike and trailer. We will leave on Wednsday morning from there and where we are going is about a two hour drive.

Cindy, hope you get some real answers soon. So glad you had your time with Meg. She is pretty astute, so hope you have her to lean on as you navigate thru this with Rick, whatever it turns out to be.

Bert, I will post both recipes in a separate post after this. Sorry the game got rained out but there will be more. Love that the girls are exploring other options and love being out on stage.

Patti
  • luzingg
    Basic vinaigrette (what I used to marinate my chicken)

1cup olive or canola oil
    1/3 cup white wine vinegar or vinegar of choice
    1 Tbsp sugar
    4 tsps fresh grated or minced garlic
    1 tsp lime zest (or zest from one lime
    Juice of 1 lime
    Pepper to taste
    Salt to taste
    If it is too tart add a bit more sugar before using as salad dressing or marinade

I usually pound the fat end of my chicken breasts so it cooks more evenly, plus it tenderizes it. Do not let it marinate longer than an hour, 20 minutes is plenty, or the lime and vinegar start to "cook" the chicken.

Honey lime and garlic vinaigrette or marinade

1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 Tbsps honey
    1 garlic clove minced
    Pinch of coarse salt and fresh pepper

They are similar recipes, I think I ended up adding a bit of white wine vinegar and sugar to the second one...so basically the same now that I am writing them down at the same time.

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Good morning from rainy Kentucky - it's actually not bad - temp came down a lot and the air feels cleaner. We may go to a movie this afternoon, after a leisurely start. Am burning a few CDs for the car and doing chores now.

Bert, I am so sorry for your loss. Regardless of a loved one's recent health, the finality of passing hits hard. May she rest in peace with those who preceded her.

Diane, the dress is adorable, and attaching a onesie is so practical. You'll have to post a pic of Elise wearing it. You and Patti make me want to learn to sew! Hope your mom is better today and has no more incidents. Congrats on the loss. Y'all are helping me get motivated to re-lose about 30 here.

Karla, Izzy looks like she was having so much fun - warms every heart. Does she take lessons in the summer?

Cindy, glad you and Meg had Saturday, and that she understands what may be going on with Rick. She sounds like such a strong, forthright young woman - hope to meet her sometime.

Patti, you amaze me with your ability to prep for so many things at once. The freedom of the road is coming very soon. Too bad Frankie can't ride along, though seeing a Great Dane in a sidecar might cause other drivers to crash!

My eating was good yesterday on quantity, if not entirely on quantity. I am definitely struggling, for several reasons, but my mojo WILL return.

• EniadS
    Good evening all. I’ve had a busy day. I spent from 9-4 in a class so I can lead canoe field trips at the wetlands sanctuary. Tomorrow is the second (and last) day of the course. We were in the classroom before lunch and on the water all afternoon. It was fun. I am the oldest by at least 20 years, the only volunteer (all the rest are county employees, mostly park rangers) but (modestly) probably the best cancer of the six class members. Tomorrow will be the harder day. I’m worried about my ability to get back into a capsized canoe.

After that we went to Brad and Rossanne’s to take our tall ladder over so he can clean their gutters. Rossanne mentioned that they need more bibs so I spent th evening making some. Picture attached. I will give her the dress on Thursday when I have Elise for the day and can see her wearing it.

Eating okay today but the scale was back up a bit today after the party yesterday. I expected it but need to have a good week this week before we head out. I’d like to be solidly under 200. Don’t know if I will make it to a WW meeting this week but I will try.
  • EniadS
    Bert, I am so sorry for your loss. Funerals are for the living, not th dead, so I think it is good that Ginny wants to have a memorial. I know I heard some stories at the services for each of my in-laws that I had never heard before. It truly was a celebration.

Patti, rainy days here too. Luckily the rain came this morning and not this afternoon while we were on the water. The chili lime vinaigrette sounds good! We are also planning to leave next Tuesday. Where are you headed this time?

Cindy sounds like a restoring weekend for both you and Meg. Had you mentioned any of your concerns about Rick to her, or did she notice it all on her own? It sounds like she has experience in this area.

Karla Izzy’s pictures were very cute! Now what will she do to keep busy this summer?
  • EniadS
    Here are the bibs. I have been sewing up a storm this last week! All these are from scraps. Actually the dress was from leftover fabric too - leftover from when I made baby curtains 28 years ago before Brad was born!
  • luzingg
    Busy day at work and I have to get up early tomorrow. Need to get to bed soon.

Diane, those bibs are so cute. I have a serger that I haven't used in more years than I care to recall. I need to get it out and give it a go. Will need to get out the manual and retrain myself, lol. We are going to Athens, Ohio state to a place called Hocking Hills. Lots of great riding roads. A really gorgeous area for hiking, too, should you ever pass thru that area, southwest of Columbus