OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies. It's raining this morning. I'm not complaining as we are in desparate need of rain. Not much to report here, I spent the afternoon yesterday looking for pictures of my cousin. She hated to have her picture taken, but I did manage to find a few. I sent them to Ginny. She's meeting with someone this morning to plan the celebration of life. I'll know more sometime today. I remember her laughter, funny sarcasm, and her strength. We had fun times growing up together.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Good morning ladies. I have the Crud!! Sinus drainage bad with a lo of coughing from the drainage. But you know me, still plugging along with work and Izzy. LOL. I did make it to the dentist for my cleaning yesterday, so left at 1:45. I did get quite a bit of sleep last night which has helped.

Diane - Since Izzy made the Performance Team at dance she has a week camp to go to next month. It will be fun for her. I was pure wore out by the end of her recital Sunday night. My hair looked awful in the pictures. LOL. Your bibs and cuddle blankets and dresses are so cute. I have got to slow down so I can sew. My brother is moving out this week or next, so I will finally get my sewing room back when I can move Izzy's toys and clothes back in her room. I have never even used the Mickey Mouse embroidery machine I bought last year yet!!

Patti- Your dresses are darling too. Have a safe and dry trip.

Cindy - Meg is really finding her grounding and a great support system for you.

Bert - I am very sorry for your loss. I saw your pictures on facebook too of your cousin. As we get older we say goodbye more and more.

Janet - Hello my friend.

We have the Dauphin Island house this Saturday for a week. We are having a Father's Day BBQ on Sunday and Glenn's oldest son and middle son are coming. It will be nice. We will all have a great time.

Izzy is here and has vacation bible school the next three days at the new church we have been attending. She is looking forward to it.

Have a great day everyone.

Karla

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Hello. Just got home from the loveliest lunch with Bert and Patti. We found a spot that was a reasonable drive from KY, IN and OH and we laughed our heads off. SO much fun to hang out with members of our little group. Each time I've met one of you, it's just getting to hug a dear friend for the first time. Diane and Cindy, gotta get your hugs and laughs too.

Not much new - rain gave way to sun, and the humidity festival has returned. But life is good, so no complaints. More tomorrow. Much love to all.
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Good afternoon all. I am officially certified by the American Canoe Association to lead day trips. Today was a spectacular day on th water - sunny and 70 or so.

After rush hour I am headed over to spend the night at mom’s and take her to her early doctors appointment. Then back here at lunchtime for an afternoon meeting with Carrie’s lawyer.

Eating not great the last couple of days. It is the snack monster getting to me and I need to rein it in! At least I have spent hours canoeing and worked some of it off.

Janet, Patti and Bert, what fun you must have had! I admit to jealousy.

Karla take care and don’t let the sinus crud develop into something worse!

Cindy when do you expect the editing on bo9k two to be complete?

Later.

Diane
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    What a wonderful day on all fronts. How can it be bad when it started with lunch with two fantastic ladies. So happy to meet Bert at last and time with Janet always makes me feel so loved. When I got home my new air fryer was here! Then a great TRX class followed by dinner out of my new toy. Actually just sliced leftover cooked new potatoes that crisped up nicely. I added the leftover pork tenderloin and grilled broccoli wrapped in foil the last 10 minutes just to reheat them. It all came out well with little clean up. I am going to love this thing.

Diane, congrats on your certification. It's no wonder the snack monster is sitting on your shoulder with all the stress you are under. Just the time constraints alone are enough to drive me to chips, lol. Did you get your knee injection already?

Karla, hope you are feeling better so you can enjoy your Izzy time.

Cindy, I bet you miss Meg already. What size motorhome did you get? are you going to take some weekend trips?

Tomorrow is lunch with the girls, hair appointment and work. Then Thursday, my birthday, I will be spending the day with Mom. 64 is shaping up as a good year.

Patti
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Hello-
    I do miss Meg - within minutes after she tooted her horn. The motor home is a Jayco 26 HD I think, so not very big. I can handle it, need some getting used to it be overall I'll be fine driving it. We're going to New Hampshire a few days before the 4th to a campground we've been to before to get used to driving and camping in it.
    Meg has a keen eye and she saw something amiss with Rick. I researched the tests he will be given and it does recommend you bring a loved one, so I will be going with him.
    Diane- you are very talented - all the sewing and how did the rest of the test go with the canoe?
    Bert- I'm so sorry about your cousin, but she is at peace now. Big hugs.
    Karla- sorry about the crud- feel better very soon. I plan on making crack slaw next week for dinner. Do you like it best with ground beef or turkey?
    Janet- what movie did you see. I want to see the new Book Club and Solo- very different topics :) - you will definitely meet Meg...
    Patti- I'm envious you got to have lunch with Bert and Janet- so much fun. Good luck with finding a chair for your mom. I had the same issue for Rick's mom but lucked out and it was on sale, guess people don't want a stationary chair anymore.
    Need to run- it feels good stopping by.
    Cindy
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. My brother is traveling today. I'm somewhat nervous for him as he has not driven this far since before his cancer. He will stop in Nashville tonight, so I'm going to encourage him to stay a couple of days there and then head here. It's his ultimate decision though.

Karla: Hope you're feeling better. I take Claritin at night and Flonase in the morning. It has helped. I used to take Claritin in the day time and although it says it's nondrowsy, I think it affected me.

Janet: Lunch yesterday was fantastic! I'm so glad I got to meet you and Patti.

Patti: I might try an air fryer. How big is it? I'm not fond of too many appliances as storage is an issue for me. It was great to meet you in person yesterday.

Diane: That is so great that you can lead day trips. So fun.

Cindy: Good luck with your motor home.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • luzingg
    Slept like a lot last night and now I have a bit of time before I go to lunch with the girls. Still smiling thinking about lunch yesterday. I truly hope we can all find a way to meet in a group some day. Looks like we are staying home this weekend as Edd says he has too much stuff to do. I want to get the camper ready and I may find some time to sew too, or make cards or paint.

Cindy, the motorhome is a good size to drive, maneuver and gives enough room to live too. Hope your shake down trip goes well. We always love when you have time to stop by.

Janet, did you find a dress at the outlet stores for the wedding? When is it?

Bert, I started with the mid size 3.7L and it was too small. I was able to air fry 12 shrimp at once or 2 small fish fillets. The PowerAirFryer oven is the one I just got. I suggest you find an online video and see what you think. It is basically a small convection, cooks with super heated constantly circulating air. It has 3 racks, a rotisserie, a mesh basket that rotates on the rotisserie and skewers that also attach to the rotisserie. It is not quite as wide and twice as tall as a toaster oven, so not huge but not small. It also can be used as a dehydrator. I already love mine and have lots of plans for it. I will keep the smaller one, about the size of a coffee maker, for taking in the pop up. The thing I like best is that it cooks fast, reheats and crisps. I did leftover potatoes by cutting into slices and it took about 15 minutes and no oil to make fried potatoes. I want to try rotisserie cooking some Cornish hens soon. Hope that helps.

Karla, any better yet?

Diane, hope all goes well with your appointments and all the driving. Your family is. Truly blessed to have you.

Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    Good morning, all.

Karla, hope the crud is on its way out. The pics of Izzy and Sophie were adorable. She'll have fun at Bible school.

Diane, hope things are better with your mom - glad you can take her to the doc and hear things firsthand. Good luck vibes to Carrie with the lawyer. Congrats on the canoe certification - heck, I'm afraid to get into a canoe! Hoping you get a Diane Day very soon - you've more than earned it.

Patti, glad you like your new toy. I hit the outlets very briefly - got some shoes at the Clarks outlet but no dress. The wedding is on a beach in NC the morning of July 4 - will be pretty casual and I have plenty I could wear, so no sweat. Needed the shoes much more anyway.

Bert, I'm still grinning that we finally got to meet. Sending best wishes for your brother's trip. Did you get the severe storms last night?

Cindy, how do you park something that big? You'll pick it up quickly. A shakedown cruise to a familiar destination makes sense. Hope the weather and Rick cooperate. Was going to see "Solo" but James was tired (golfing in this heat takes a lot out of a guy) so we didn't go. There are a few movies I'd like to see.

Not sure what today will bring - it's grossly humid, with storms due. Might be a day to watch movies, maybe have a nap. Not a ball of energy here.
  • EniadS
    Good evening all. Snack monster was not as in control today, so that is a good thing. Probably over on points, but reasonable eating choices. I felt very hungry at both breakfast and lunch, so I was probably in a bit of a calorie deficit from the last two active days.

Mom's doctor's appointment went well. He suggested PT to work on strength and balance, which is what I was going to advocate for. I do really like her doctor. So he was going to write the referral for that and they are to contact her. I think she went to dinner tonight, for the first time since getting out of the hospital, so that is good too. (I tried to call during the dinner hour and she didn't answer, so I assume that is where she was!)

Meeting with the lawyer went well too. He gave her a couple of things to ask about at her (presumably) final appointment with her surgeon, and also wants her to see a second opinion to evaluate "permanence" of her disability. Her surgeon is VERY reluctant to pronounce anything on that. Lawyer thinks we will be ready to propose a settlement figure to the opposing insurance by sometime in August.

Spent the rest of the afternoon and evening trying to figure out food and groceries for our remaining few days here, our first week or so on the road, loading groceries I already have on hand and making grocery lists for four separate stores.
  • EniadS
    Janet, I love to canoe and kayak. I figured out I have been canoeing now for 45 years! One unexpected benefit of this certification is that I can now borrow county-owned canoes and kayaks for personal use without paying to rent them! And I can take them off property, as long as they aren't scheduled for a public program.

Also Janet, what brands of shoes do you find work? Carrie is looking to expand from high end tennis shoes as her only footwear, but doesn't even know what brands to try. I figured you might have some suggestions.

Cindy, I would love to see a floor plan. I looked at a couple of the 26' Jaycos, and depending on the year and model (redhawk? Greystone or something like that?) the layout is dramatically different. I used to drive our 32 foot Class A (Charly3) frequently, but have not driven 34' Charly4 at all (Diesel with air brakes, so quite a bit different!)

Bert, I'm not sure I ever told you I'm sorry for your loss of your cousin. From the sounds of her condition, I can't be sorry for her passing, only hope it was peaceful and that you and her survivors can come to terms with your grief. I also wish I could send you some of our rain! Carrie has been trying to finish painting the deck for almost two weeks now, but it keeps raining!

Karla, I was involved with our VBS for 20 years, until I "retired" two years ago. (Was director for about 5 years, and music teacher or story teller the rest of the time) I loved working with the kids and seeing their excitement and joy! It sounds like Izzy is having a fantastic time.

Patti, probably wise to stay home this weekend and prep for your trip. We bought mom a recliner a few years ago, that is the power assisted lift kind. It was expensive, but well worth it. She sleeps in it most nights - if she didn't have that we probably would have to get her a hospital bed, because she can't lie flat. So far she only uses the "lift" to give her an extra inch or two assist in standing up out of it. Depending on your mom's physical condition, it might be worth looking at that kind.

Back tomorrow evening probably - I am having my last Elise day before we leave.

Diane

• JP_in_KY
    Diane, I have had reasonably good luck with Brooks sneakers. For better shoes (not cute, but supportive, it’s a crapshoot but Clarks and Munro have styles that fit my weirdo feet. They are expensive (especially Munro) but well made and durable. Hope that helps.
  • luzingg
    Diane, Mom has a power recliner, not a lift, and hates it. She doesn't have any problems getting up and down on her own. She also doesn't like rocking chairs or anything that moves while you are sitting . As kids we had to sit perfectly still if we wanted to sit with her. She always said movement made her sick and we sure didn't want to make her feel bad. I used to think she just said that so we would be still but now know that it actually upset her stomach when we fidgeted. She wants a basic recliner with a lever to put up her feet, not an easy thing to find. She doesn't mind the power recliner but unless they are medical/lift chairs there is no battery backup. She lives in fear that the power will go out while she is reclined! It happened when she first got the chair and she won't even tell me what she had to do to get out of the chair, but I have a good idea. Thank goodness there were no cameras, lol. What a positive and productive day. How cool that you can now use those canoes for free. Volunteering has some perks

My girls brought me a luscious cake from the best bakery in town and bought my delicious lunch at Cheddars. Mom loves Steak and Shake (and so do I, sad to say) so that is going to be my birthday lunch tomorrow. I figure she gave me life the least I can do is go to her favorite place. I just feel so blessed to be able to celebrate another year with her.
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. It cooled off a little; however, it will be short lived. I'm running errands today and preparing from my brother's arrival. He's going to be here sometime tomorrow and is bring peaches. I'm hoping to make a peach cobbler. Does anyone have a recipe for the filling? topping/crumble? I've never made a pie crust in my life, so I don't want to start just yet! We are all going to watch my cousin's grandson play ball on Saturday to have some "family time". Dan, Annie, and the kids are traveling from Chicago to attend the game. That makes me feel so good that they are taking the time to do this. I know Ginny and Jim (my cousin's husband) will be happy. I guess I need to boast a little to know that all of our children are caring and responsible adults.

Diane: Glad your mom is doing better. Good luck with Carrie's case. We finally got rain, so we are good here for the moment! I know that my cousin isn't in pain anymore and that she's not suffering from her dementia. That gives me and the family comfort. I know it's a blessing, and we will all remember the good times we had with her.

Janet: I have several pair of Clarks. They are very supportive and last forever.

Patti: You are definitely blessed to have your mom with you. My mom is still with me in spirit, and I feel her presence every day.

Waving hi to Cindy and Karla. Have a great day, everyone!

Bert

• luzingg
    Happy Flag Day!

Bert, your children are a tribute to you, so no surprise they are kind and caring people. Enjoy your time with family, especially your brother. Nice to hear he is doing well enough to make such a long drive.

Ready to head out the door and pick up Mom for a fun day at the BMV and then lunch. Then TRX and not sure if Edd is taking me out to dinner or picking something up.

Have a glorious day everyone, that is my plan
    Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PATTI!!!!!!!! Hope the license/ID trip won't be annoying. Have a blast with your mom.

Bert, I'm so glad that Dan and Annie will bring the kids to spend time with their great uncle and cousins - so important for everyone, and it will be so much fun to observe. You clearly raised good humans. Weather is much nicer here too - any break from the suffocating humidity is gratefully accepted.

James is soon off to his Thursday golf group, and my cleaner is on her way. So there will be a clean house and some girl talk along the way. Not much else is new here.

Must get dressed - later!
  • EniadS
    Happy Birthday Patti! Hope your day was fantastic. Spending it with mom gives it extra confetti! LOL about the power recliner with no power - I can see how that would put your mom off the powered kind. My mom definitely could not operate a manual one.

Janet, a clean house is a happy house. I need to make mine happy before Tuesday. Clarks are some of my favorite shoes, but I've not heard of Munro before. She is wearing Brooks sneakers but would like something other than sneakers that she can wear.

Bert, what a nice gesture to go watch your cousin's grandson's game. Make him feel like he still has family surrounding him! I make an excellent apple pie with crumb topping, if I do say so myself. The crumb topping for a large pie is 1 1/8 cup flour and 3/4 cup sugar mixed together, then 1/2 cup butter cut in until crumbly. Put on top of the pie or cobbler and bake at 400 for 40 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is lightly browned.

Waving to Karla and Cindy - Karla hope the crud isn't beating you down.

Diane

• EniadS
    I had my Elise day today. She is such a little darling, and I am going to miss her terribly. We have one step down from our kitchen to our family room. She learned to crawl up it today! She is also pulling herself up more. Here are a couple of pictures of her in her new dress.phczedr69k7c.jpg
    plb1gm4blek8.jpg
  • EniadS
    I made it to weigh in today but did not stay for the meeting. So no words of wisdom to post. I stayed the same as the last time I was there. I was hoping for some sort of loss to send me off on the trip, but it didn't happen. I have lost 15 pounds since February, so I'm not upset.
  • JP_in_KY
    Diane, what a sweetie!

For Carrie, maybe Naot, Dansko or Ecco?