OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Good morning, all. Bert, the moon was indeed stunning last night. There's little I like more than a clear sky, full moon on a crisp fall night.

Karla, you are taking such good care of your dad. How is Kerry doing down there on his own? Good to hear that Millie is doing better.

Patti, fingers crossed for your mom tomorrow. All we can do is love them and do what we can. Hope the crown installation goes as smoothly as it can - you certainly have an intense day coming up.

Diane, has your mom stabilized? Please make some time to be kind to yourself too.

Cindy, waving hello and sending a big hug.

I did really well on eating yesterday, and felt much more conscious about choices. Whether it's a side effect 0f my new rheumatoid arthritis med, I don't know - but don't care. Made easy butternuts squash soup last night (squash, onion, apple, ginger) and it was tasty. Didn't feel guilty abu9t garnishing it with walnuts, light sour cream and dried cranberries - and avoided having bread with it. A successful eating day and I felt much more conscious about what went into my mouth. Hope it sticks again!

Errands this afternoon - slow start because I didn't get up until 9:45 today - the cats even let me sleep without poking me for breakfast. Doc had said that the methotrexate might drag me out a bit at first, so I did take it pretty easy yesterday, and anything that gives me solid sleep can't be all bad!

Have a good day, everyone.
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies. It's raining this morning, and my joints are screaming! I had a good workout with my PT yesterday. It felt good to get new ideas for exercises to do. I'll incorporate them into my routine. I have two visits today, so I'll be busy observing and writing reports. Tonight is a testimony at our church that one of our members has brought in. Apparently he was stung by several jellyfish and lived to tell about it. I hope that we have a good turnout.

Janet: Your soup sounds good! I made beef and noodles (not a healthy choice, but Mike likes it). I like cooking in the fall as I can freeze the dishes and have many meals from them. Wow! 9:45! That's amazing!

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Good afternoon, just got back from the eye dr with Mom. She had another hemorrhage that is blocking the center part of the back of the eye. Accepting all prayers for her to get her vision back. I will admit I am very scared this time but she can still see shapes and get around her apartment. I left her a bowl of homemade soup to warm up for dinner and poured her milk so she doesn't have to take a spchance of making a mess. She went straight to bed and will probably sleep until dinner time. She promised to call me if she needed anything or had any problems. I have my all day scrap tomorrow and my sister promised she would go to mom's early in the day. We also have a party tomorrow night at my grandson's house but it will be a pop in and out for us. Then I am taking Edd to the movies on Sunday to see Hunter Killer, his choice. Now I need to get my laundry done and finish prepping for tomorrow.

Waving hi to all
    Patti
  • JP_in_KY
    Patti, praying for your mom’s vision to come back quickly. How frightening for everyone.

Bert, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!
  • bertevans
    Thanks, Janet!

Patti: I too am praying for your mom’s vision to return.
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. Thanks for all the birthday wishes. It was a beautiful day yesterday. Mike took me out for breakfast, and we went to Euchre club last night. Today is Jillian's and Cole's last soccer games for the season. Greg is definitely ready for the season to end. It's only supposed to be in the 50's, so I'm prepared with my winter coat!

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • luzingg
    Good morning ladies, thought I posted yesterday but guess not. Yesterday was a fun one. Got about 30 Christmas cards made, had lots of laughs with my girls and some delish ham and bean soup. Did pretty well on food except for having to sample some new baked creations by my GF baker. Ended up with an aching gut because when you take the gluten out of baked goods you add lots of sugar and fat. I had half an oatmeal date cooking which was wonderful, then a bite of snicker doodle cheese cake and a bite of a cardamom nutmeg short cake. Both of those I did not care for and actually spit out the shortcake. Then we went to my grandson's party where I got to see both my great grand kids and play with them for a bit. My grandson's friends were a lot of fun and they have requested we return for the next party. Then we went to the Eagles for a nightcap and ran into some good friends. All in all a successful and fun evening out.
    On the flip side my Mom was really depressed when I called her yesterday. The eye dr scared her and what she got from the visit was that the damage was not reversible. This is not what he said but he was not the Dr who has been treating her and was very cavalier when he told her about the bleeding and what was going on and what the next step was. I had to do a lot of talking to get her to understand that this was just a new bleed and that the medicine would dry up the blood and she should get more of her vision back but it may take a shot or two. I am getting ready to call her now and see how she is doing. My sis was supposed to go over and spend time with her yesterday.

The waking Edd to see Hunter Killer at the recliner theater this afternoon and then who knows.

Bert, sounds like a wonderful birthday. Enjoy the last game and stay warm

Janet, have you used the fireplace yet on these chilly nights? Does James have a backup activity for when golf ends?

Cindy, hope you can drop by just to know you are ok.

Karla, I am still praying for your hometown and hope the cleanup of your dads place is going well.

Diane, many prayers for your Mom. Were you able to get the cabinets sprayed?

Gotta run
    Patti

• KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Good morning. I am still in Panama City, but after seeing if the hearing aid place is open, my father and I will be heading back to Grand Bay/ Mobile. I’m shocked because my dads place is in good shape now, but he wants to come stay at my place. Lol. He told my niece , Lainie, from Tampa, that was there helping, that Karla is building me a house in her back yard. Lol.

My family really pulled together and my nephew from Troy, Alabama, whom brought his back hoe, Was wonderful!!! I will attach some pictures of the huge piles of trees and rubbish that was pushed out of my dad’s back yard. I even got to see my brother Kenny, whom I hadn’t seen since right after my mother passed six years ago. He’s been in bad health and now has three hernias from three previous surgeries that are too dangerous for him to have fixed. It was really great seeing him. Neighbors are really rallying together and talking that have never even met.

My brother Keith, one of my younger brothers, is not taking it too well. He’s been cussing at some of the people that came on his property while he was up at my house without his permission that his grouchy neighbor ordered and cracked his driveway. He’s got roof and outside damage like my dad. He said Glenn was his hero because he has two strong dogs he’s been having to walk on a leash and Glenn got a make shift closed in area out of some fence panels for him off his patio. The whole town is in shambles and trees down everywhere and most places are cash only. Very few restaurants survived on my dad’s side of town. My dad lives 10 minutes from Tyndal Air Force base , where he retired from. It was flattened, and 30 minutes from Mexico Beach and it was scraped slick. It is going to take a long while to clear out all the laying down rubbish and tree piles.

Bert- Happy belated birthday my friend.

Patti- What a wonderful sounding weekend. I don’t like gluten free baked goods for that same reason. So sorry for your mom, but you are correct, the injections are meant to dry up and to prevent the seepage of blood. It is just very scary for them. How was the movie?

My foot has really gone downhill over here. The ankle was even swollen very large last night. It is down completely this morning. Uggghh.

Well, I need to get up and get showered. Oh, we did buy a new fridge during all this for my dads house too. His was working, but barely.

Karla
  • KarlaLM58
    5w5qn6x9k95a.jpeg

The corner by my dads house, about 59 feet away
  • KarlaLM58
    cvvlw2cnntld.jpeg

This is in front of my dads house, pushed from his yard
  • KarlaLM58
    xdcy0eu8gryq.jpeg

More piles to the road.
  • KarlaLM58
    4bgnjv41s26x.jpeg

I did get that caved in bedroom cleaned out
  • KarlaLM58
    lfw10lwz6gq0.jpeg

It’s the special things that matter, my mothers bedroom stayed totally in tact and pretty.
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. Yesterday was Jillian's and Cole's last soccer game of the season. It was so windy that wind gusts were so strong that it could have knocked you down! Plus it was very chilly. I felt sorry for the kids. Mike and I are both sneezing from inhaling whatever was in the air for 3 hours! We are actually glad the season is over! :o)

Patti: Your mom is lucky to have you. I hope her eye gets better soon.

Karla: Such devastation. It's amazing that your mother's room was still in tact. It's also amazing how people come together after a castastophe. Our neighborhood has rallied over the years when we had damaging storms, especially after the hail storm in 1998 when it took out the back side of our house and yard. Continued prayers for your family.

Waving hi to Janet, Cindy, and DIane. Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • luzingg
    I need to get some stuff done today as I was pretty lazy yesterday. The movie was great and Edd really enjoyed the experience. He took me to Steak and Shake for late lunch, not the best choice but there it is. I spent the rest of the day downloading and editing the wedding pictures. It took me a bit longer than usual since I am using her computer and had to find a program to download before I could get started and then had to figure out how to work it. I Only did the prewedding and wedding photos so far. I got some really good ones of her Mom, stepdad, half brother and grandparents (the ones who refused to come to the reception because they would feel awkward). I sent all of the good ones of them to her Mom. I hope she enjoys them. Will not send any of the reception, that will be for Alex to share.

Karla, you guys got a lot done. My parents were hit by a hurricane that ripped off the back half of their house and lifted the roof up but not off. Their entire community was hit and the average age there was 75. It was devastating and it nearly put my dad in the hospital. My sister and her husband got to them and coordinated clean up and donations for them and their neighbors. We have cleaned up after devastating floods at the river but nothing like what you are experiencing. Do you think your Dad is going to move in permanently? What about Kerry? I know this must all be very hard on him.

Bert, glad your soccer season is over and you don't have to sit out in the cold any more. When you see your PT at the gym do you get exercises to do at home as well as at the gym?

Cindy, saw you on FB at Lake George, I love that place. Looks like a good stress relieving weekend and getting new books to read as a bonus.

Diane, also saw that you had a fun time with the Scouts this weekend, mud and all. How is our Mom?

Janet, I know you are in hog heaven with this weather. Sounds like you are getting back in the groove with your food. It is hard but we are worth it. I keep slipping but they are shorter in duration and less food involved, just little bites here and there but I know those add up.

Time to be productive
    Patti
  • luzingg
    csrugjyaf2vy.jpg
    ffemnbh87zgi.jpg
    my beautiful granddaughter, husband, son and dil
  • JP_in_KY
    Karla, glad you had lots of help, including Kenny - that's a nice surprise. Glad your dad is willing to go to the hearing aid place - my dad refused to wear any, which made for some pretty interesting conversations. You have spoiled your dad into moving to AL, it seems. Good thing you anticipated his future need and got started with the mini-manse. What about Kerry? How is he coping with the storm and its aftermath?

Patti, what a sweet-looking young couple. No wonder the weather stayed clear for them! They both look radiant. Any change in your mom's eye?

Bert, glad soccer season is over - whatever's been in the air is here, too. No fun.

Diane, how is your mom doing? I sure hope you were able to get a bit of rest over the weekend.

Cindy, how was the Lake George event? You looked lovely in the photos you posted.

Friday was a food disaster, but less bad than it's been. Most of the last week I have been doing pretty well on food and am feeling less pull to on-the-go snack grabs. My mind is shifting back toward where it needs to stay. Fingers crossed that I can kick into gear now, before holiday temptations raise their nasty, tasty heads.

Wishing us all a good week in every possible way.

• bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. Today will be spent outside, cleaning up and putting tables, chairs, etc. away. Tonight there will be trick-or-treaters. It's supposed to be a nice evening, so I'm anticipating more tonight as tomorrow night is to be cold and rainy.

Yesterday's eating was ok....not great, but ok. I'm still trying to get the scale to move down a little. I will increase water intake today. That's my mini goal for the week.

Patti: The pictures are lovely! Yes, there are exercises that my PT shows me that I can do at home. This time my session focused on legs and back which I need.

Janet: I'm with you. I'm trying to shift my mind as well as my mouth! :o)

Waving hi to Karla, Cindy, and Diane.

Have a great day everyone!

Bert
  • KarlaLM58
    Hello all. My cleaning ladies Tammy and Melissa are here and it is sorely needed since I had to cancel two weeks ago with my house so full. I told them to be on the lookout for my dad’s two grand hearing aid he lost!

Bert- At our age to get the scale to move we must do all avenues of weight loss techniques it appears. Low carbs, low fat, increased water and some form of daily exercise or the scales just don’t budge. Plus we are fighting against medications and medical conditions. Uggghh. We just have to keep trying and have more good days than cheat days.

Patti- What a gorgeous bride and lovely pictures.

Janet- is Zjames still dating the same lady friend you had met? Not sure why I just thought of that! He’s been with you over a year now, hasn’t he? Do you have a picture of him? I’m just curious if him as you always said he was handsome.

I’m working from home before I go into the office to cut down on the time my dad is alone. Glenn gets home about 2:30.

It’s a waiting game to hear from the insurance company.

Waving to Cindy, bless you.
  • JP_in_KY
    Happy 🎃 to all!

Patti and Diane, how are your moms? Karla, how is your dad doing?

Had a bad start to my food day but was able to rein it in. Giving in to a toast craving in the morning was a good reminder that doing so makes me super-hungry.

Weird silver lining - never had any Halloween candy in the house because they moved trick-or-treat to last night. So no leftovers to tempt me!

Boz Scaggs and his band were excellent. The voice is still there even though he’s 74!

Been doing housework here and will try to get through some magazines this afternoon while watching old monster movies.