OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Good morning, everyone.

Cindy, I'd love to see your notes too. I'm struggling with how far I can go to cut back on some things without drawing notice or comment here - definitely a sticky situation. Regardless, I CAN do better. And I must.

Patti, glad your friend will get to see his pups soon and get away from the hospital atmosphere.

Bert, have fun with the kids!

Karla, you'll have a blast with the kids and cookies. You're definitely an A-1 nana.

Diane, keeping you close in my heart.

Much to do today but wanted to say hello.
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Late start here. Up until the wee hours sewing and playing in my craft room. Made more scarves and hats and spent way too much time on flowers made of fleece to pin to the hats. Still have one more gown to make and a few more hats and scarves. They take about 30 minutes to make from cut out to done. Also made some snowmen out of salt shakers. Will try to post pictures of some of my work later.

Cindy, pick me too for notes. I am doing this after the holidays. Have been mindful but I know portion control is key. The biggest change here will be to cut out or drastically reduce potatoes, rice, pasta and bread. Can picture the hugs between you and Meg. Hug her once for me too.

Diane, thinking of you and your family.

Bert, I have never been a fan of Keto/Adkins/Southbeach which are all basically the same with different names. It is especially unhealthy in those with diabetes. ketosis is not a state to keep your body in long term, that is why the weight gain is so rapid when you stop those diets. Carbs are necessary, just like fats, proteins and veggies. Each plays a key role in our bodily functions. Just need to find the right balance and that is the struggle for us all. So sad to hear about your friend with the brain cancer. Prayers for her are on my list.

Karla,,enjoy the cookie party with the girls.

Janet, we can do this thing. I know because we did it before. Just need to stay the course and focus. You have already laid the ground work. I think you are more conscious of your food choices than James. I doubt he would notice smaller portions or turning down seconds, he's a guy, lol. I am here to support you!

Patti
  • luzingg
    snowmen
  • luzingg
  • KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Patti- the hats are so adorable! I love the flowers on them. Too cute.

Janet- I know it’s difficult for you, but take a stand for yourself and simply say “ I have to watch it closer with my metabolism James, I know you understand dear”. He loves you and surely appreciates your undying hospitality and would never hurt you.

Moving along with my chores and the girls are having fun with the cookies. I cleaning, doing laundry and making a list while baking the cookies too. Bennie’s mom is coming over to use one of my sewing machines to take in a dress of Bennies. I love the holiday season.

Back at it,

Karla

Aka Nana

• bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Question: can you freeze (not iced if course) sugar cookies after they are baked?
  • bertevans
    Karla: what was the movie on Amazon?
  • luzingg
    Bert, yes you can freeze them.
  • bertevans
    Thanks Patti. I made too many any will only ice a few.
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. I hope everyone has a wonderful day. I'm getting ready in a few minutes to pick up the prime rib for our family dinner tomorrow. Dan, Annie, Dylan, and Penny will be coming today and Lindsey and Justin tomorrow. I'm thankful that everyone will be here. Merry Christmas to all.

Bert
  • JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Bert, may your days be merry and bright! Enjoy the family feast.

Diane, hope you are all able to get some rest. How is your sister doing?

It's going to be wrapping day here. (minor whine) My back has been spasm-y, so going to pace myself. Lots to do - looking forward to seeing friends and family next week.

In case I don't get a chance to check back in, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas. Sending virtual hugs to everyone.
  • KarlaLM58
    Bert- The Amazon movie was A Christmas Snow and has a four and half star rating. I loved it and may watch it again. Have a great family day of love and laughter.

Janet- I have been wrapping a bit each day but Glenn did the bulk of the larger presents. I’m wrapping some now. Merry, Merry Christmas to James and your sweet self.

Cindy- I know you are basking in the loving aroma of Meg’s presence. Enjoy your down time and do get back with that friend after the first of the year that lives nearby.😊

Gabby, the little girl next door, just came over with a gift for Izzy and we gave her the mermaid Barbie we had for her.

Tonight we have Glenn’s family Christmas party and then we will chill out. Glenn is off until the 7th of January but will be working on my dad’s kitchen starting the 30th.

Let me get back to wrapping,

Precious memories for us all.

You all are very special to me as we continue to share our journey of life.

Karla

• KarlaLM58
    1khfjrqdaljv.jpeg

My contribution to the decor.. lol
  • KarlaLM58
    uclwn4mj91vo.jpeg

Izzy of course
  • KarlaLM58
    v1sojxevclca.jpeg

At our party
  • bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. Happy Sunday! Today is our family Christmas celebration. I'm so looking forward to it. Jillian and Cole spent the night, so we have all the grandkids here. I love it. Dan, Annie, Dylan, and Penny are having breakfast with Dan's dad this morning. The funny thing is that when Greg talked to their dad about going too, he said that there probably wouldn't be room to seat them all. (They're going to IHOP!!!) :D I think it's hilarious! I wouldn't be without all of them.......they just laugh and move on!

The kids are ready to get up. Have a great day! Eating has been very spotty, but I'm going to enjoy my family and move on.

Bert
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Good morning all. It has been a tough week. We are delaying the service for my mom until January 19th, so that all the grandkids can be there. I thought about going to church today to get all the condolences over with today instead of tomorrow, but I just couldn't face it. We had good friends over for dinner last night and it was good to just spend the evening laughing and talking. The next two days will be tough too. My brother and part of his family that is in town and we including Brad, Rossanne and Elise will be gathering at my sister's house (the one who had surgery.) We always went to my mom's for Christmas dinner, since we have been married. Other holidays, including Thanksgiving and mother's day and even her birthday were much more flexible, sometimes at one place, sometimes at another, not even always on "the" day. But Christmas was ALWAYS at her house. Even last year when she couldn't do any of the preparations, we all still gathered there with her.

I'm going to start clearing out her apartment on Wednesday. We have until January 31, but it will take a lot to get it done by then. My brother and his wife, and Carrie, will come on Wednesday and we will go through the books and some of the things that people might want. I'm going back on Thursday with my cousin to deal with her clothes and shoes - I have identified a local charity that runs a thrift shop where all the proceeds help their local homeless shelter. Not sure what we will do with all the furniture - a few people have said they might want some of it, but not all. And then there are the photo albums and scrapbooks...

Sorry to be a downer. I hope all of you have wonderful Christmases with your family and loved ones. Hug them tight, and tell them you love them. That's all that really matters, isn't it?

Diane
  • cindyr619
    cindyr619 Posts: 717 Member
    Hello Ladies,
    Meg arrived safely and we've been gabbing a lot- she's off seeing her girl friends now. She'll be back around 2 and then is Meg and Mom time again.
    Diane- Sending you hugs and prayers. Your mom loved with ever fiber of her being- bask in that as they moments get tough,
    Hug Elise a little tighter.
    I'll send out the notes on Wednesday of the nutritionist- she definitely said stay away from the fads of kept etc, Very nutritionally unbalanced. Her approach made a lot of sense to me-
    Well I need to run but the next couple of days will be hectic.
    I wish you all a Merry Christmas- treasure your family- its really what the holiday is all about.

Hugs
    Cindy
  • luzingg
    Merry Christmas to all my lovely friends. I am sending you all hugs and love for the holidays.

Diane, "firsts" are the hardest. At least you will be surrounded by those that loved her too. Sending strength for the tasks you are facing. Do you have a habitat for Humanity nearby? They are a great place to donate furniture
  • luzingg
    Cindy, I feel your joy all the way over here!

Karla, cute pictures. Enjoy your parties

Bert, all the kids and grand kids together is the best present. Enjoy every moment.

Janet, safe travels. Am already smiling seeing you with the littles!

My ham is in the oven and the eggs are boiled and ready to be deviled. Dip is made and chilling in the cutest penguin ceramic vessel. I found it in my Christmas decorations, not sure where it came from but will leave it with Pam as this year's theme for her is penguins. Now I need to wrap everything and do some laundry.

Once again
    MERRY CHRISTMAS
    Patti