OMG ~ Discussions Starting 1-11-16 and Beyond

Replies

• KarlaLM58
    KarlaLM58 Posts: 1,590 Member
    Bert- Surprising the Brooks had only an 84 rating to these 97. I love the Clark’s also and the Vioonic.

Patti- Congrats on returning to meetings

Karla
  • EniadS
    EniadS Posts: 670 Member
    Hello all - a productive evening and day here. I finished all three car seat blankets I needed to make. Two for nephew and his wife for a baby due in early March (one flannel, one fleece) and one for a young friend due in February (flannel.) The only remaining sewing project is going to be an emotional one. My mom had made most of a quilt top when my nephew's first son was due before she knew it was to be a boy. The one she had started was yellow and green. She switched and made them one in blues, for her first great grandchild. She made one in pinks for Elise, her second great grandchild. The third one is due in March (same nephew who has the oldest great grandchild.) I asked her about making a quilt for this one back in the fall, and she told me I could finish the green and yellow one for him. So I need to get that done. She had pieced the whole center area - I just need to add borders, put a backing on, machine quilt it and bind it. Of course, I have never done any of this before. I was thinking after the New Year she could guide me through it. Guess I have to figure it out on my own.

Tracking going well, snacking not so well. But I am tracking it! My meals have been very WW friendly - I just need to exercise the No muscle and get snacks onto plan. Tonight's dinner is Crock Pot Sante Fe Chicken from Skinnytaste - zero points! I will add some cheese and a Tumaros wrap for a 3 point dinner.

Patti, good for you for choosing to go to WW despite the weather! I wish I had started out with my shoes on. They do have a rule of no bare feet on the scale. I wear jeans every week, but I do everything out of my pockets and take off my shoes, striving for consistency. I hope the leader was more inspiring to you today.

Karla, yes I imagine you are exhausted. I know after 16 days at my sister's house we were both just done in. I'm glad your dad acknowledged your and Glenn's hard work. As I said before, maybe it is easier for him to do that over the phone and not face to face.

Bert, how was the knee doctor appointment? Was he able to recommend some shoes for you?

Waving to Cindy and Janet.

Diane
  • bertevans
    bertevans Posts: 1,277 Member
    Good Morning, Ladies. I went to my knee doctor appointment. He stated that my knees probably weren't causing my foot problems, but my foot problems could affect my knees and hips as I'm probably walking differently (as I thought). He offered to do an injection and also suggested doing the scope to repair the miniscus. He said my knees weren't bone on bone which I felt was a good thing. The popping in my knees going up the stairs is normal and won't make my knees worse. He stated not to do high impact aerobics (jumping, running, etc.) and stay off the treadmill (my kind of doctor as I don't like the treadmill anyway!). Any other type of exercise is perfectly fine. I elected not to have an injection and wait for the scope. I need to concentrate on my feet. So, I'm going to purchase insoles designed for plantar faciitis and go from there.

Tickets are already selling for the Murder Mystery. I think they will sell quickly as it's a Valentine's dinner theater.

I'm happy to report that my scale hop showed a 1 lb loss! I'm almost back to where I was when I lost 9 lb last year when I rejoined WW. I have 2 more lbs to go and then I'm off to losing the 15 lbs I want to lose and KEEP OFF!

Diane: I'm sure finishing the blanket will be an emotional endeavor. Your mom will be with you while you're working.

Karla: Where do you find the ratings on shoes? I'm interested. I wore Saucony several years ago.

Waving hi to Patti, Janet, and Cindy. Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • bertevans
    I've planned and tracked breakfast, lunch, and snack. So far, here are the stats.

Calories: 385
    Carbs: 31
    Protein: 64
    Cholesterol: 95
    WW Points: 7

• KarlaLM58
    edited January 2019
    Good morning ladies and Happy Thursday and day 4 of my 2019 Choose and Choice. I'm doing well and my feet feel great with these new shoes!! What a difference.

Bert - I googled "the Best tennis shoes for Plantar's Fasciitis and Heel spurs" and got several companies that had surveys. I picked one that looked very non-biased, not from a shoe manufacturer. I looked at a couple of them and the Acis shoes kept coming up really high, the Brooks were always a close second though. I tried them on also, but I liked the way these had the insoles keeping your arch supported so well. Reminded of the Viconic. Very interesting about the treadmill, is that because of your knees or feet? Treadmills are repetitive so probably both. I only like mine for convenience as I prefer to walk outside.

Patti - How did the meeting go? Make any new friends? How was the leader?

This morning I am having the Atkins Farmhouse-Syle Sausage Scramble, YUM!! It is 20g protein, 4 g sugar and 5g Net carbs. I had one of their Fire Grilled three meat Pizza's yesterday and it was very, very tasty. Just picked these up for convenience as I am working everyday to get caught up.

We are leaving for Panama City Beach tomorrow after I pick Izzy up from school. Jason called me yesterday and his father is having surgery tomorrow morning and he is back to work at a plant and his wife has to take his dad to the hospital. He didn't ask, but I could tell he was worried about Angelique having to take care of his dad, get her son from school and Izzy too. This job is just a one month assignment for him, but he will make $8k and could sure use it after Christmas he said. He was relieved when I told him I could just take Izzy with us. The "thanks Mom", always melts my heart.

I swear this sausage scramble tastes like I just made it myself. I recommend it highly!

I better go. It's BRRRRRR down here today, only 37 degrees after being in the low 70's yesterday and the day before.

Breakfast and lunch are tracked. Loved the slaw crack last night.

Karla

• JP_in_KY
    JP_in_KY Posts: 1,247 Member
    Good morning, everyone. Did well on meals yesterday but snacking kinda got me. Today's another day and I'm checking with you while I have coffee.

Diane, the quilt will be a labor of love and will help pass your mom's spirit along to a new generation. I still have my grandmother's quilt (don't know if she made it but it was a special item when I was a kid - if we were sick but not throwing up, we got to pull it around us.

Karla, it's sweet of you to take Izzy to FL. Though I'm sure Angelique could manage on her own, she will be good medicine for your dad and Kerry and she'll be amazed at all the work you got done on your last visit.

Bert, congrats on the loss - you have this! It sounds like your doc has good advice about knees & feet. Hope you don't get to bone-on-bone - it's not fun. Hope the insoles work. Shoes are a funny thing - everyone's feet are so different. My best friend and I were talking about knee pain, shoes, etc. over Christmas. We each have brands that work well for us, but the other's feet don't like them. We laughed.

Patti, glad the meeting went well and I'm proud of the boldness of weighing in your shoes.

Cindy, I took advantage of the Loudon Series offer - though I bought them all individually, it's really nice to have them all collected in one spot on my Kindle. Hope Jasper is doing well today and Griffin is being adorable with his slightly creaky brother.

It's cold here and the air feels clean. Not sure yet what today will bring, but I'll get on with my morning stuff and see - starting with changing the sheets. Laundry, ho!
  • luzingg
    luzingg Posts: 1,678 Member
    Good morning, yesterday was another one filled with good choices and some bumps in the road. None that derailed me though. First meeting in the books. I am loving the new app and have joined a closed group for the class on FB. Part of the new member meeting with the leader goes over how to use the app. When I got home I was going to enter my weight but it was already there. Doing everything by computer makes the WI go a lot faster. It was a large class and it seemed there were few new people. Quite a few were lifetime. So I have hope. The leader was the same one from 5 years ago. I was disappointed that she is still well over her goal weight, actually looked the same as she did last time. She does seem to run a better meeting and there was lots of class participation. So I am turning a blind eye to her weight and focusing on the info she and the class offer. I mentioned to a group I was talking with that I was going to leave my shoes on for all WIs and all agreed they wished they had done the same. There are signs that say no bare feet on the scales but I saw lots of naked feet stepping on. My mom called in a panic because her cable was out. It was a quick fix but so upsetting to her that her eyes have not improved enough to read the instructions on her screen. It started snowing about 30 minutes before I went to work and the roads were a bit dicey but all was fine on the ride home. I was in such a hurry to leave for work that I forgot to put on my good shoes. Luckily I only worked 4 1/2 hours, but in 2 year old gym shoes my feet are aware of my mistake. Tonight I am returning to the gym. My attitude has been less than happy for some time and I realized it may be due to not going to the gym. Going to try a new class, Core and Bands tonite and No Barre required tomorrow. I am also going to see if there is a spot in the Monday nite TRX class, that should round out my new winter workout plan.

Diane, such an emotional job you are taking on. I agree with Bert that your mom will be there guiding you through your stitches. I loved all the pictures your sister posted on FB. I have never quilted either. Afraid I will love it and I don't think my change purse can hold another craft.

Bert, congrats on the loss. I know you have really worked to see some movement. Hope the inserts work. Those protalus ones look really good. I think you are wise to address the feet first and if that will help with the knee pain that would be awesome. So glad you are not bone on bone and that the noise in the knee is normal

Karla, bet your dad will love having Izzy there as a distraction. I did not realize Jason has been out of work. Glad he found something so lucrative. Hope you get lots done this weekend and that your dad and Kerry are settling in better now.

Janet, snacking is my downfall too. I am usually not hungry, just bored. I am trying to ask myself what is it I want before heading to the kitchen. If I am craving salty, crunchy I know I am not hungry. If I am craving some meat I can pretty much rest assured that I am. Since I have nothing that is salty, crunchy in the house it helps stop me from eating, but not always.

Cindy, hope you are meeting your words per day goal and that it is making you happy. I can't wait for the announcement that there is a book of yours to read. Hope you are feeling better. Gentle hugs for your fur babies.

Until next time
    Patti
  • bertevans
    edited January 2019
    I'm going to try this!

Easy sugar free and gluten free recipe for no bake chocolate peppermint cheesecake squares. #nobake #cheesecake #glutenfree #sugarfree #keto | ditchthecarbs.com
    3.77 from 39 votes

No Bake Chocolate peppermint Cheesecake Squares
    Easy sugar free and gluten free recipe for no bake chocolate peppermint cheesecake squares. Perfect for when you want a low-carb sweet treat, but with portion control taken care of.

Course Cakes and desserts, Sweet treats
    Cuisine Gluten Free, Grain free, Keto, LCHF, Low Carb, No Sugars, Wheat Free
    Keyword Keto cheesecake
    Prep Time 20 minutes
    Total Time 20 minutes
    Servings 28 squares
    Calories 154 kcal
    Ingredients

Chocolate Cheesecake Base
    110 g butter melted
    200 g almond meal/flour
    45 g cocoa unsweetened
    100 g desiccated/shredded coconut unsweetened
    2 tbsp granulated sweetener, of choice or more, to your taste
    pinch salt

Peppermint Cheesecake Filling
    250 g cream cheese full fat **
    110 g butter melted
    1/2 tsp peppermint essence or more, to your taste
    1/8 tsp green colouring (optional)
    3 tbsp granulated sweetener, of choice or more, to your taste
    pinch salt

To Decorate
    50 g 90% chocolate to drizzle
    Instructions

Chocolate Cheesecake Base
    Mix all the ingredients together. Press into a 33cm x 22cm (13 " x 9") dish lined with baking parchment.

Place in the fridge to cool and harden whilst you make the peppermint cheesecake filling.

Peppermint Cheesecake Filling
    Cut the cream cheese into a few pieces to make it easier to mix.

Add the melted butter and all other ingredients to the cream cheese. I use my stick blender with the blade attachment. It makes for a smooth lump free cheesecake filling. You may wish to add all the ingredients to a food processor and pulse until smooth.

Spread and smooth the peppermint cheesecake filling over the cooled chocolate base. Place in the fridge to cool.

To Decorate
    Melt the 90% chocolate in the microwave or stove top. Drizzle over the cooled peppermint cheesecake filling in swirls, zig zags or wavy lines.

I cut mine into 4 rows by 7 rows to create 28 squares.

Recipe Notes
    ** You must use the full fat, solid cream cheese. The soft, spreadable cream cheese will NOT set.

Nutrition Facts
    No Bake Chocolate peppermint Cheesecake Squares
    Amount Per Serving (1 square)
    Calories 154 Calories from Fat 141
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 15.7g 24%
    Total Carbohydrates 3.9g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 1.8g 7%
    Sugars 0.9g
    Protein 2.9g 6%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
  • EniadS
    Hello all. Another sleepless night. After I check in with you all, I think I will start looking for pictures for the memorial service. So much to do that the first time I wake up in the night my mind starts racing and I can't get back to sleep.

Yesterday was a pretty good food day - I succumbed to one poor choice for snack, but tracked it and made enough good choices that I still ended the day within my points. I do swap my fit (exercise) points and use them first. Today will be a more difficult day foodwise - we are going to the RV show to check out new stuff, and I'm sure the food truck vendors there will not have any healthy options!

I made a terrific dinner last night. If you are on WW, I made the vegetables from the "Roasted Greek Style Chicken and Vegetables" but modified the chicken per Carrie's request. I did this Hummus encrusted Chicken http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2014/10/baked-hummus-crusted-lemon-chicken.html and it was wonderful. I calculated the meal at 4 SP total.

Bert, I calculated the SP on those bars - 9 pp each! Guess I'm not trying that recipe! I guess that is where the low carb/Keto diet and WW diverge. Congrats on the recent loss - I know it is hard to keep going when that scale won't budge!

Patti sounds like the WW meetings may work out this time! Glad the leader has changed her approach some, at least. Maybe you will connect with some people there who will inspire you. I might try the gym again when I am done with PT - it would probably encourage me to stick with the exercises, at least.

Karla, Izzy will make it a fun weekend, I am sure. There is probably something she can help with, even if it is just fetching tools or holding things.

Janet, I know what you mean about hanging onto those things from your past that have meaning. I am having trouble getting rid of all mom's things because so many of them have meaning - but I don't NEED anything and have way too much "stuff" as it is.

Cindy, hope the writing is going well!

Diane
  • KarlaLM58
    Good morning my inspiring and wonderful ladies.

Day five of my 2019, get this fluff off, plan. LOL. I am continuing to choose weight loss inducing foods. Turkey pepperoni cooked for one minute in the microwave with a pinch of light babybell cheese squeezed between two pieces is my favorite!!

Diane - I know exactly where you are at my friend. As you know, I ended up with shingles in my eye from stress after my mother passed. I wasn't sleeping either and my mind kept racing as yours on what all needed to be done at my father's home. Of course I had the travel back and forth too, plus the worry of him. It was the pressure of getting Kerry's disability pushed through Social Security that made me so upset that day on the phone that started the spots on my eyebrow, that became the awful shingles. Your circumstances are different, but I remember not being able to sleep and when I woke up in the night, my mind would always race.

Yes, that Keto diet is different from any other diet plan. But most people that stick to it love it and drop weight like no tomorrow, plus, doctors are big advocates of it, especially the cardiologists. Bert and mine's friend, Lisa, on our facebook page, has heart issues and her physician put her on it. She hated it because it was such a polar opposite of weight watchers. She went off of it and he wanted her back on it again and she refused. Our oher friend, Judy Wiggins, that was with us for quite a while on this board, has lost 30.2 pounds last year on it and she is in her 70's!! She absolutely loves it. My nephew and his wife have lost 30-40 pounds each and swear by it. I like some of the recipes but never really did the whole plan as I like a more rounded plan. Keto is all about the sugar, no breads, very little protein, and lots of coffee, which I don't drink. Some people even use weird supplements.

Last night we had one of Oprah's "O That's Good" supreme pizzas. It was tasty and had the cauliflower crust. The toppings were real good.

Izzy was a joy last evening and had both Glenn and I laughing and smiling. She will indeed be fun on this trip, combining that and the luxurious Wyndham resort, that also has a Starbucks on campus, and you have a relaxing fun time. The resort is directly on the beach and the whole side of the condo facing the beach is glass. I booked a two bedroom unit as my brother Kevin is staying with us too. We are going straight to the resort tonight and my dad's first thing Saturday morning.

My stats for yesterday:

Calories: 1174
    Carbs: 57
    Protein 98

I'm doing good keeping my carbs up and not in the 20's like before. It will probably be a slower weight loss, but better for my hair. LOL.

It has been a long week at the office!! The phones have been ringing off the hook, which means I've had to jump in and answer them in addition to the other two ladies. The patients adore me and are now asking to speak to me I've answered it so much this week. LOL.

Have a great day!!

Karla

• bertevans
    Good Morning, Ladies. We are to get a big snow storm tonight and tomorrow. My college cancelled tomorrow's seminar for student teachers. They have created a "virtual" seminar where we are required to watch videos on the topics that were supposed to be discussed. I've already met with my student teacher, so I'll see her on campus when I have to pick up my packet next week.

Yesterday's eating was pretty good for me (sodium was too high, though):
    Protein: 106
    Carbs: 60 (I went over by 5)
    Cholesterol: 228

WW points: 23

I picked the kids up yesterday. Carrie had to watch her mom as her dad was in Indy having tests run. The discovered a fistula in his brain. I'm not sure what that is. He has a 10 lb weight limit for the next 3 days, so I'm not sure how he is going to care for Carrie's mom. Carrie will have to go over this weekend to help out, I'm sure. It's so sad that her mom is in the shape she's in. Dementia is awful.

Diane: How do you do the swap my fit points on WW? I know that the low carb and WW foods don't work together. I'm trying to do a combination of WW and low carb. Sometimes it's very challenging. I work with a PT once a month to get new ideas for exercises that I can do. I've learned several exercises that I can incorporate in my own workouts.

Karla: My cardiologist told me not to do Keto as it is too high on cholesterol. That's why I'm trying a combination of low carb and WW. My daughter-in-law is doing it and has lost over 20 lbs so far. I have other friends who have lost at least 40. I'm like you and need a more rounded plan. All bodies are different, and we must figure out what works best with our bodies.

Waving hi to Patti, Janet, and Cindy. Have a great day, everyone!

Bert

• EniadS
    Bert, on the mobile app you click on your profile in the upper right, then the gear icon for settings, then food settings. Under swapping you have three choices - not swapping, use weeklies first or use activity points first.
  • luzingg
    Another blue dot day for me yesterday. I made some poor choices for snacking (I was bored) but I tracked it and only used 2 weeklies. I made an awesome dinner last night. Chicken thighs pan seared with mushrooms and white wine, roasted broccoli with shaved parm cheese and corn for a total of 6 points. I will make this again with chicken breasts. Growing up I was always served thighs. My sisters got the drumsticks, my dad and brother got the breasts and mom ate the other thigh. So every now and again I just need a thigh, lol. I am going to make Chinese chicken lettuce wraps with fried cauliflower rice. I did not go to the gym. My partner has pink eye and sinus infection, so I wimped out and stayed home. I did use the time to do food prep and meal plan. My attitude adjustment will start next week. They have several new classes at the gym to take the place of TRX. Both my TRX trainers are taking the winter off, makes sense since they are married to each other. I saw pictures from the Core class and I am in for a challenge. The week of the 21st the gym is having free mini sessions every day, all day. They will not be holding regular classes during that week. So I am going to try and get in for several of the new classes to see what I can do.
    We are expecting a snow storm too they say 5-8 inches by Saturday night, most of that falling during the day on Saturday. I am supposed to work at 6:30pm Saturday. Edd will have to take me if the roads aren't cleared. Doubt they will close the store because the idiots will still be out shopping no matter what the weather.

Bert, a fistula is a hole where there shouldn't be a hole (easiest way to describe it) they must have done something to patch it and that would be the reason for no lifting. I admire all the tracking you are doing. I have to force myself to track on WW. I don't think I could follow Keto either. I like the variety of WW.

Karla, are you guys just going for the weekend or is this a scheduled trip to the Wyndham resort? I looked at those Oprah pizzas, they are 10-12 points per serving so a bit pricey for me. I love making pizzas on the low carb tortillas they are are 7-9 points and very filling. I tried her cauliflower mashed potatoes because I had a coupon, they were ok but would not have again. I know you will be working this weekend but hope you enjoy the beach while the rest of us get snowbound, lol.

Diane, can only imagine what is going on in your mind. Just don't get rid of things too quickly. Let them take up space for a while. I have had friends that divested themselves of items that they now wish they could have back. My heart is breaking for you as you go thru this knowing my turn will come for this.

My Saturday lunch got cancelled due to the storm. My BFFs husband is back in the ER. He has only been home since Wednesday and was supposed to go to Ohio state today for round 2 of chemo. He is having trouble breathing due to fluid in his chest cavity. Awaiting word from her.

Waving hi to Cindy and Janet. Wishing all a day filled with good choices, you decide what that might be
    Patti
  • bertevans
    Patti: The Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps sound delicious. Did you find the recipe on WW?
  • luzingg
    Bert, I am using a recipe from Skinny Kitchen. 5 points for 3 wraps. WW has a similar recipe,masked stats. I am going to add carrots, broccoli, mushrooms and corn to mine. The WW recipe calls for cukes and tomatoes which sounds odd for hot lettuce wraps. Will,add the same veggies to the fried cauliflower too.
  • bertevans
    Patti: I made my own version as I didn’t have some of the ingredients. I just made chicken stir fry and added peppers, onion, asparagus, and riced cauliflower. I added sesame oil, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and teriyaki sauce. When I entered it into WW it says a serving was 2 points. Hope I did it right. It was delicious!
  • luzingg
    I did pretty much the same thing. I used 1 pound ground chicken breast, carrots, green peppers, onions, broccoli, mushrooms and corn. The sauce was soy, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, rice wine vinegar, sugar (just 1 tablespoon for 4 servings) and hoisin sauce. I stir fried the rices cauliflower with a bit of the sauce and a handful of the veggies. We were both starved so I split it into 2 servings and it was only 5 points and I couldn't eat it all. This is a keeper, especially if I am super hungry. Will add snow peas and water chestnuts next time. I loved it all wrapped up in the Boston lettuce.

Got a nice surprise int the mail, a new WW cookbook. It was free with signing up, I had no idea.
  • bertevans
    edited January 2019
    Good Morning, Ladies. We have about 3-4 inches of snow already on the ground. I took Molly out, and when she stepped in the show, she turned around and headed for the porch! She's not a snow dog! <3 I'll have to wait to take her out again after Mike shovels a path.

A couple of my colleagues are driving to Kansas City for the Colts game. They stopped last night and got a motel room and will finish traveling today. They are definitely braver than I am. (That doesn't say much as I'm a wimp driving in snow). I certainly hope they arrive their safely and return home safely.

I'm making broccoli cheese soup today. It's definitely a low carb recipe. I made it over Christmas. The girls love it, so there weren't any leftovers. I'll have to type in the recipe and find out WW points as there are so many choices when tracking. According to my recipe, the soup is 4 WW points.

Have a great day, everyone!

Bert
  • luzingg
    Good snowy morning ladies. We have about 3 inches and it is still falling. Keeping hoping they close the store early but sincerely doubt they will. Most likely we will spend the time tidying things up or putting stock away. Our roads look bad so I will have Edd take me and pick me up in his big ol' truck.
    Another blue dot day for me. Actually I am changing mine to red circle days. Red is my favorite color and there was a red sharpie in my pencil cup so now you know how I make decisions, lol. I can see the calendar from my perch in the kitchen and the red just stands out so nice.
    I am going to stock up on cauliflower rice. I don't like rice and this was a nice addition to the meal last night. Edd loved it too. I usually don't go for frozen veggies other than peas and corn but it is way too much work and mess to make my own.

Bert please share your recipe, I love broccoli cheese soup. Frankie usually loves the snow but was interested this morning. I think her arthritis has changed her mind about it. Your friends must be die hard Colts fans. I'm with you, hate driving in it. Mostly because of how others drive. When I lived in Denver we had few snow related accidents and they kept the roads clean. Too many people out and about that a) don't know how to drive in snow and b) don't seem to care. If everyone just slowed down it would make it much less stressful.

Waving hi and happy weekend to all
    Patti

• bertevans
    vmxjp0c3dtht.jpeg

Here you go! I add cauliflower and mushrooms to mine and a little extra cheese.