Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Dflat0821. Those GS Cookies are certainly a slippery slope for me! I haven't purchase any in a few years thanks to keto. Not sure if I could stay away if a child brought them home !! Good luck with your continued success and Welcome to the Keto Forum !
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    HappyBride - Congratulations on your pending wedding! I found the first 6 months going keto very rewarding. Not only did I lose several pounds, I also dropped several inches and It improved many health markers along the way .

I try not to eat higher carbs, but if I do and it's bc of higher veggies or berries , I don't sweat it. If I go over my carbs bc of sweets or breads etc that is not a good thing. I usually feel sick, headachey etc. my body just doesn't tolerate those things any more. Your mileage may very. The scale usually shoots up a bit when I do that bc it causes my body to hold onto water and bloat.

You can get back into ketosis fairly quickly, but everyone is different in that respect. FYI,

Drinking on keto is your choice as there are lower carb spirits out there. Be aware that it can affect you a lot quicker with less drinks.

You can stay on keto for as long as you want. You will find many long term keto or LCHF people on here and the Low Carb Daily forum group. I think it depends on what your goals are and how you feel eating this way.

The Low Carb Daily forum group is a fantastic resource for newbies. I highly recommend joining that group as well and reading their pinned or stickie posts ....they have done a wonderful job putting together an extensive resource list and FAQ section that will help anyone going low carb whether it's keto or not !
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So I started about a week ago, and have been slowly working towards a "full keto" diet. I'll dig into the other posts, but have any of you run into issues meeting your macros for the day, or found yourself trying to find fat or protein full foods with super low carbs to meet your macros?

Stay under your carb goal (20g) and try to hit your protein goal, don't stress about the rest. Fat isn't a goal you "need to meet". Use your fat allowance to make sure you are full and satisfied.
  • Lem0nyFresh
    Lem0nyFresh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @pwrfl1 I've been using coconut and olive oil and avocados, but I'm trying to stay away from dairy based products; my wife and I have been off dairy for over a year or so, and whenever I slip up the results are...not pleasant to say the least.

@Scochrane86 I'm doing a modified plan to work my way into it: 50% fat, 25% carbs, 25% protein. I'm still starting out, and like anything it's a learning process. I'll be ramping up slowly over the next couple weeks to see what macros keep my mind and body happy.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    @pwrfl1 I've been using coconut and olive oil and avocados, but I'm trying to stay away from dairy based products; my wife and I have been off dairy for over a year or so, and whenever I slip up the results are...not pleasant to say the least.

@Scochrane86 I'm doing a modified plan to work my way into it: 50% fat, 25% carbs, 25% protein. I'm still starting out, and like anything it's a learning process. I'll be ramping up slowly over the next couple weeks to see what macros keep my mind and body happy.

Good idea, I jumped right into it and that was best for me, everyone is different. But to get in, and stay in ketosis, your carbs need to be under the 20g mark. Low carb is good too, but it won't achieve ketosis.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Lem0nyFresh - Do you/can you safely use ghee? Other nut oils? Avocado oil, too...

Best advice I can suggest is to seek out fattier cuts of meats for a more natural balance of protein and fats, minus most carbs. Chicken thighs with skin on instead of breasts, ribeyes instead of filet mingon, pork butt or shoulder roast instead of pork tenderloin, etc. Eggs are another fabulous selection. Fish like Sardines, with the bones in, and liverwurst, etc. give a more complete nutritional profile, as well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Good idea, I jumped right into it and that was best for me, everyone is different. But to get in, and stay in ketosis, your carbs need to be under the 20g mark. Low carb is good too, but it won't achieve ketosis.

@Scochrane86 - Actually, most folks, without outlying health issues or untreated food sensitivities, can actually maintain nutritional ketosis up to about 50 TOTAL carbs a day, more if active. It's really a very individual thing. Dave Asprey, Chris Kressler, and others have suggestions and techniques to help you determine your individual carb threshold. 20 grams of carbs is like the induction number. Most recommend eating the highest number of carbs and calories you can to maintain your NK status and still lose weight. Your metabolism wins in the end that way.
  • Lem0nyFresh
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @Lem0nyFresh - Do you/can you safely use ghee? Other nut oils? Avocado oil, too...

Best advice I can suggest is to seek out fattier cuts of meats for a more natural balance of protein and fats, minus most carbs. Chicken thighs with skin on instead of breasts, ribeyes instead of filet mingon, pork butt or shoulder roast instead of pork tenderloin, etc. Eggs are another fabulous selection. Fish like Sardines, with the bones in, and liverwurst, etc. give a more complete nutritional profile, as well.

Thanks for the info! I have no idea what ghee is so I'm going to have to research it! I haven't used nut oils aside from the occasional sesame seed oil for stir fry stuff. I made a ton of pulled pork the other day using pork shoulder, so I've been chomping away on that.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have my carbs set at 10% which equates to approx 46 g total carbs. It eliminated obsessive behaviors/stressors for me that I was experiencing when set at 5% and I easily hit ketosis as long as I stay within that range on a consistent basis. I count total because I find too many ways to cheat in my head if I start thinking about net carbs instead (but that is an entirely mental thing!).

If you aren't feeling hungry, you don't have to worry much about meeting your fat or protein macro, as long as you aren't surpassing carbs. There are some great keto sites out there that don't use dairy: www.healthfulpursuit.com is the first one that comes to mind. @kirkor I think it was you that had a fabulous list of diary free sites?
  • Lem0nyFresh
    Options
    @kimberwolf71 I stumbled upon healthfulpursuit a few weeks ago (I actually used her pulled pork recipe the other night and it is amazing!). Her videos and podcast, while geared very much toward women on the keto diet, are a wealth of information for anyone!
  • SisalKeenly
    SisalKeenly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new here, hope no one minds if I jump in. I'm glad to find a group with a lot of women, because when my boyfriend started Keto a few weeks before me I called it his "weird boy diet" before I caved and joined him. He's more of a "eat a block of cheese like a candy bar" kind of dieter whereas I was excited when I started counting grams of fat and realized I didn't have to eat as much bacon as I was having.

Nice to meet everyone!
  • Lem0nyFresh
    Options
    He's more of a "eat a block of cheese like a candy bar" kind of dieter

I like this guy :D Welcome to the big party! I've only been here a day and I've already learned quite a bit from this group and a couple of others.
  • RoosterDJC
    RoosterDJC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    But, what kind of cheese is it?
  • SisalKeenly
    Options
    RoosterDJC wrote: »
    But, what kind of cheese is it?

Usually pepper jack.
  • pwrfl1
    Options
    So a few days ago I found a great deal on country style ribs. I ended up cooking them in the oven and they were absolutely delish. But I'm more excited with what I made with the drippings- I had a few cups of fat, onion and water left over from the ribs. I added the bones from the ribs and covered with water. I cooked everything on low all day long. I added seasonings, and removed the bones....the results were a wonderful blend of fat, collagen , with bits of tender meat in a savory broth. A perfect cuppa!
  • andreasoulcastle
    andreasoulcastle Posts: 478 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just started Keto last week 3/8 and have weighed in yesterday-lost 9 pounds (283-274)!! I have not measured myself yet, will do tonight. I have been working really hard to become as educated as I can about this. Still keeping it really simple, and have started to venture out on Pinterest to find some recipes. Have not navigated eating out either. I have not had any fruit, no alcohol, and have added ghee and coconut oil to my cooking. Really surprised with these results, and amazed at how good I feel (I heard about the Keto flu but have been on top of my electrolyte water, sodium, and potassium intake so haven't really felt it, even during the week freaking daylight savings time hit!). I notice more energy, more focus, and reduced appetite. pretty cool. On top of all that, my husband has been changing some of his eating habits and making better food choices....I guess I am leading by example, this motivates me more.
  • SisalKeenly
    Options
    Just started Keto last week 3/8 and have weighed in yesterday-lost 9 pounds (283-274)!! I have not measured myself yet, will do tonight. I have been working really hard to become as educated as I can about this. Still keeping it really simple, and have started to venture out on Pinterest to find some recipes. Have not navigated eating out either. I have not had any fruit, no alcohol, and have added ghee and coconut oil to my cooking. Really surprised with these results, and amazed at how good I feel (I heard about the Keto flu but have been on top of my electrolyte water, sodium, and potassium intake so haven't really felt it, even during the week freaking daylight savings time hit!). I notice more energy, more focus, and reduced appetite. pretty cool. On top of all that, my husband has been changing some of his eating habits and making better food choices....I guess I am leading by example, this motivates me more.

Congrats! Sounds like you had an easier start to it than I did.

My boyfriend and I, who are both doing keto, drew a blank the other day when we wanted to go out to eat, but ended up doing Brazilian bbq and it was perfect. Lots of delicious meat and we could select green vegetable sides
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all of the new comers! I wish you the best! I'm confident you'll get all of your questions answered around here!
  • andreasoulcastle
    andreasoulcastle Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I was very tempted at dinner tonight- Mother in law made soda bread, corned beef, along with cabbage-potatoes carrots on the side. No shortage of Guiness, Baileys, and Jameson. I powered through, and was able to have no alcohol, and corned beef and cabbage for dinner.