Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Well. Still struggling along. Doing okay keto foodwise, but relying a little too much on alcohol (for it's emotion numbing effect) for any weightloss to occur. Just hovering around in a 3 pound weight loop that is still 15 pounds or so over my desired weight. Could be worse.
    Went out dancing last night in a new place, met new people, and I am trying to pull myself back together in various ways that I let go of to deal with a break up.
    On a positive note, although I'm limping along at best, at least I haven't totally imploded. That is progress for me, and I feel like when I'm over all the angst and processing, I will be able to get back on the keto horse. It feels like home base to me after doing it for so long.
    So this message is...hold my place for me, I'll be back.

keto or not, get that alcohol for numbing effect under control. i'm sure you realize that, just speaking from experience ;)
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Good morning! I am frustrated with lack of weight loss success. I have slowed down to less than a lb per week. I am wondering if certain foods are better than others for losing? Certainly CICO doesn't mean anything. Even though I weigh everything and exercise daily I should be losing 2 lbs a week not happening. I've heard people say to increase calories instead but very scary especially when it is so easy to gain weight for me.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/684525/why-the-rapid-weight-loss-on-low-carb-induction-stops/p1

Everyone is different, but most likely your body is just playing catch up, be patient and keep on Keto - ing !
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    VanCityFit wrote: »
    I'm a long time keto-er, however my husband suddenly passed away in August which caught me off guard and added a lot of stress to my life. I have gained a substantial amount of weight since then, about 30lbs and decided to get my rear in gear.

I started back on Keto yesterday in addition to doing the 30 day shred and weights at least twice per week. I owe this to myself and my son, we need to live life to it's fullest potential during our short journey here on earth!

I am currently 5'2 and 188lbs, please feel free to add me if you like.
    . So glad you found us! My prayers go out to you and your son !

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sending healing thoughts all the way around!
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Good morning! I am frustrated with lack of weight loss success. I have slowed down to less than a lb per week. I am wondering if certain foods are better than others for losing? Certainly CICO doesn't mean anything. Even though I weigh everything and exercise daily I should be losing 2 lbs a week not happening. I've heard people say to increase calories instead but very scary especially when it is so easy to gain weight for me.

A pound a week is great success. Be patient, listen to your body. You're doing great!
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    pwrfl1 wrote: »
    VanCityFit wrote: »
    I'm a long time keto-er, however my husband suddenly passed away in August which caught me off guard and added a lot of stress to my life. I have gained a substantial amount of weight since then, about 30lbs and decided to get my rear in gear.

I started back on Keto yesterday in addition to doing the 30 day shred and weights at least twice per week. I owe this to myself and my son, we need to live life to it's fullest potential during our short journey here on earth!

I am currently 5'2 and 188lbs, please feel free to add me if you like.
    . So glad you found us! My prayers go out to you and your son !

My condolences to you. I admire your attitude.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Just read an article that reminded me how sometimes talking about goals makes your brain relax and not do them. I have noticed this to be true in the past.
    Since I've been venting and trying/failing alot this past 6 weeks....nada in the progress department.
    So, no more talking about goals for me at this time....but for those who know me, you can probably guess what I'll be doing; however, for now...the cat is still in the bag... if you catch my drift.
    Just saying. Without saying.
    I might be able to talk about non-goal but related issues since I like checking in. We'll have to see how that goes.
    I wonder if it is okay to ask for luck or good vibes or if that is also self-sabatagery. Not sure...so, if you feel like it, just do it secretly. Thanks, pals.
    #feelingaweebitsuperstitious,arewe?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @elize7 - that's super interesting. I have a tendency that if I set hard goals, I sabotage myself into missing them completely. If I acknowledge success, it's almost guaranteed that I'll dive off my chosen path. I know there's a fear of success in there... But that's really interesting... Let me know if you find a link to that article. I think ti could be really interesting.

Naw, asking for generic good vibes is something we all deserve. :) (HUGS)
  • SisalKeenly
    SisalKeenly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I could stand a little keto venting right about now. I was doing well with it, but I am one of those lucky people who get keto rash. Luckily I only get it under my arms, but it's still not fun. Anyway I took a short break from strict keto, probably was mostly in the 25-30 grams of carbs per day range as opposed to the 15-20 I had been doing before. My rash disappeared almost overnight, and the weight loss stopped. Lowered my carbs about a week ago and have lost another four (!) pounds in that time. Aaaand the rash is back and worse than before. It's frustrating that in order to lose weight I have to go so low carb I give myself a rash.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Today is presenting itself as challenging in a not good way on three fronts: work, work, and social.

My plan is to get through the first two and go to bed at 6:30pm to avoid the leftover hurt from the third. Also hopefully... avoiding a potential food break out type of situation.
    Probably not the best strategy, but looking doable for this particular moment in time.

Then, I've decided to break a bit from socializing for a couple weeks and dive into a very purge focused spring cleaning. Hopefully also get back on my moderate daily activity plan. Kind of like hitting a reset button and starting over. I think I'm at least ready to try that.
    Still not feeling right about myself, but a little better.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I could stand a little keto venting right about now. I was doing well with it, but I am one of those lucky people who get keto rash. Luckily I only get it under my arms, but it's still not fun. Anyway I took a short break from strict keto, probably was mostly in the 25-30 grams of carbs per day range as opposed to the 15-20 I had been doing before. My rash disappeared almost overnight, and the weight loss stopped. Lowered my carbs about a week ago and have lost another four (!) pounds in that time. Aaaand the rash is back and worse than before. It's frustrating that in order to lose weight I have to go so low carb I give myself a rash.

@SisalKeenly - I've found that for me, this stems from the fact that when our body burns fat, part of the byproduct released is done so through our skin, either as air or sweat released. The keto rash is developed when this sits on the skin. For me, with sensitive skin, I'll feel as if I have an "all day" sunburn. As such, by accident, I discovered that the same treatment helps it. Swipe down with witch hazel, let dry naturally, and repeat until that "burn" feeling is gone, then lightly moisturize with coconut oil or a lotion containing coconut oil and/or shea butter. Stay away from aloe vera (creates odd reaction) and commercial lotions. I have the most sensitive skin out of most of the people I know, and this works well for me.

This is the same thing I do with sun exposure, as I burn easily, too, though zinc oxide based sunscreen with coconut oil is an amazing sunscreen, too!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    Today is presenting itself as challenging in a not good way on three fronts: work, work, and social.

My plan is to get through the first two and go to bed at 6:30pm to avoid the leftover hurt from the third. Also hopefully... avoiding a potential food break out type of situation.
    Probably not the best strategy, but looking doable for this particular moment in time.

Then, I've decided to break a bit from socializing for a couple weeks and dive into a very purge focused spring cleaning. Hopefully also get back on my moderate daily activity plan. Kind of like hitting a reset button and starting over. I think I'm at least ready to try that.
    Still not feeling right about myself, but a little better.

@elize7 - I'm sincerely sorry that you're struggling so much. I'm sending you my best thoughts to survive! (HUGS)
  • theskinnyonme
    theskinnyonme Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I made homemade gummies today. They were super good! Great for treats.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @elize7 - you make me smile. Not your struggles, but your perseverance! Good on you, adapting and moving on! You are so incredible, and I bet you don't even realize it. <3
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    On the 2nd day of a 3 day fast. I haven't done this in a while and I forget how easy it's become. Hoping that it's jump start me in my quest to lose the last 15 lbs to my goal. I put myself in maintenance for a year and got really comfortable with it.

It would be nice if I can do that before I have to get fitted for a tux for my son's wedding. lol
  • joearzola504
    joearzola504 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Question for the ones who have done Keto for awhile, I recently began on 4/17 and my cal intake is at 2675/day, days 1 and 2 I took in 2350(avg). Do I need to force feed myself to hit my goals? I've yet to hit 160g protein, 207g fat and I've nailed the carbs at 30g per day. Will I hurt physically if my protein is at 130 and fat at 165g? Just wondering. The bullet proof coffee in the morning keeps me full for 5-6hrs easily
  • Fvaisey
    Options
    If you stay under the carbs, stay pretty close on the protein then you'll do fine. I'd say that you must be pretty active with those macros. You're doing great!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Question for the ones who have done Keto for awhile, I recently began on 4/17 and my cal intake is at 2675/day, days 1 and 2 I took in 2350(avg). Do I need to force feed myself to hit my goals? I've yet to hit 160g protein, 207g fat and I've nailed the carbs at 30g per day. Will I hurt physically if my protein is at 130 and fat at 165g? Just wondering. The bullet proof coffee in the morning keeps me full for 5-6hrs easily

@joearzola504 - Typically, we say, carbs are a hard limit, protein is a goal range based on activity, etc., and fats fill in to satiety.

If you need a visualization, that means whatever calories you aren't naturally eating by hunger, your body MAY burn from your stored body fat (and no, artificially manipulating these numbers doesn't mean more burned fat - it can, but it may also slow your metabolism and a number of other ill effects - it's very individual).

Humans naturally have hungrier days and less hungry days. If you look at your deficits on a 7-10 day average, you should be coming out within a reasonable range. Tune in to that true hunger again. One day you may go 1000 calories over, and then you may be around 200 under for the next 4-5 days, leveling it out. It's really really unique to each person how that happens.

For me, forcing yourself to eat when you TRULY are not hunger is as disordered as not eating when you're starving, etc. Protein doesn't have to be exactly even either. As long as you don't have super low days regularly, that can be a more flexible range, too. It should be based off of lean body mass or goal mass...etc. Different calculations. You can always consider adding protein powder to your BPC, or collagen, or both, depending on your preference. You can also add in some leaner meals or eggs, etc., that will get your numbers up without adding too much other into the picture. Hope this helps.

Oh, and remember, you have to eat 3500 calories above your MAINTENANCE number to gain a pound of pure fat. Any other fluctuations are easily water gains. Enjoy the reduced hunger while it lasts, tune into those hunger signals again, and enjoy the journey.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Aloha! I've found my way back to this group!!!!!