Daily Check-In for Keto Friends 2017 Version

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    havisham wrote: »
    Hey all, Is it the New Moon or what? I was feeling ok other than wanting to just immerse myself in a huge 3 course meal, didn't happen of course but I sure do want to just munch and munch. I have to go to a family dinner tonight and I am not looking forward to the eating part. There are some people that are supporting and get it and then there are others who don't get it and take offense to not eating everything they made, also a touch of guilt because I understand when you spend all day cooking just to be told "I can't eat that", and just the anxiety of having to even deal with explaining what and why you eat what you eat... so much easier to prepare your own food.
    So , with wanting to eat the house down and going to a dinner that will test my will power I am feeling a little edgy, did I mention there will be birthday cake, yeah....so there's that too. I know it wouldn't kill me to eat whatever in moderation but I really want to treat this WOE like an addiction recovery and just not touch sugars and breads and starches. It doesn't feel like a treat anymore, feels like a hassle and a setback.

@havisham - Cake trick - pick up a piece, move it around on your place, make it look like you've eaten some, then as soon as no one is watching, find a random place to set it down, and tell them, "Yes, it was GREAT! Thanks."

Also, tell them you're avoid "whites" at doctor request (white sugar, white flour, white veggies, etc.). Makes it easier when you present it as a less extreme ideal most of them are probably accepting of already.
  • havisham
    havisham Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks @KnitOrMiss it's almost time to go.... too bad it's not weird to take cake in the bathroom with you...
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Was visiting with my son this week but now he's gone. Did horribly carb wise first two days, moderate last two days. Feel recharged because it was a great time with my awesome son, and I just feel ready to start up again in so many areas of life.
    A fresh start for me...Starting now!
    Have a great night, pals.
  • bannierooster
    bannierooster Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies and Gents! I recently participated in in the Keto four week challenge and am now trying to find another group. Mind if I join in with y'all? I am 65, fairly new to Keto, and trying to reverse (recent diagnosis of) type 2 diabetes.
    Ann from Alabama
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,121 Member
    Options
    Hey Ladies and Gents! I recently participated in in the Keto four week challenge and am now trying to find another group. Mind if I join in with y'all? I am 65, fairly new to Keto, and trying to reverse (recent diagnosis of) type 2 diabetes.
    Ann from Alabama

Glad you are here!
  • darkphoenix323
    darkphoenix323 Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm closing in on the end of Day 1. All in all, I feel good. Never felt starving. I felt a little low energy with a mild headache midday, but I upped my salt intake and felt better. I'm under 20 carbs. I don't feel hungry since dinner, so I may not eat again. Any feedback on my entries for today would be appreciated!

Macros:
    Fat: 119g
    Protein : 72g
    Carb: 13g
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Ann from Alabama

Hey Ann! ROLL TIDE!

I'm 53 and just started keto and also got a TD2 diagnosis recently. Feel free to add me! Let's do this together!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm closing in on the end of Day 1. All in all, I feel good. Never felt starving. I felt a little low energy with a mild headache midday, but I upped my salt intake and felt better. I'm under 20 carbs. I don't feel hungry since dinner, so I may not eat again. Any feedback on my entries for today would be appreciated!

Macros:

@darkphoenix323 - The combo of low energy and headache is definitely indicative of too low sodium. Remember that your body will be dumping around 5000 mg of sodium a day that you must replace... Especially as you adapt to the program. Some people have to continue to supplement past 12 weeks, some don't... Some need even more than that... So just keep an eye on that sodium. If you get to the point of having headaches, you're going to start dumping magnesium, too...
  • epona_mus
    Options
    Whoosh underway... 1.8 lbs down at this morning's weigh in. Drank a ton of water for the past 2 days, and I think that helped.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Still waiting for my "whoosh". I was sure it would be this morning but it wasn't.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @4031isaiah - Remember, the scale is an epic level liar... (HUGS)
  • darkphoenix323
    darkphoenix323 Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Macros:

@darkphoenix323 - The combo of low energy and headache is definitely indicative of too low sodium. Remember that your body will be dumping around 5000 mg of sodium a day that you must replace... Especially as you adapt to the program. Some people have to continue to supplement past 12 weeks, some don't... Some need even more than that... So just keep an eye on that sodium. If you get to the point of having headaches, you're going to start dumping magnesium, too...

This is super helpful. Thank you so much! I got some organic chicken broth, so I'll sip on a few cups today.
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just had my cholesterol checked... ldl is high :( never had high cholesterol before. I wonder if it's from doing low carb high fat? Anyone else have cholesterol go up? My doc wants me to do a lower fat diet :/ I'm so discouraged. I think she wants me to eat low fat for 6 weeks and then recheck...so I'm gonna try to do higher carbs (gross of 150) and keep fat under 60g ...total opposite of keto :/
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @4031isaiah - Remember, the scale is an epic level liar... (HUGS)

Thanks. I wish that made me feel better.
  • epona_mus
    Options
    mjj79 wrote: »
    Just had my cholesterol checked... ldl is high :( never had high cholesterol before. I wonder if it's from doing low carb high fat? Anyone else have cholesterol go up? My doc wants me to do a lower fat diet :/ I'm so discouraged. I think she wants me to eat low fat for 6 weeks and then recheck...so I'm gonna try to do higher carbs (gross of 150) and keep fat under 60g ...total opposite of keto :/

You might want to read this: https://www.ruled.me/the-ketogenic-diet-and-cholesterol/

Did she measure LDL-C or LDL-P?
  • havisham
    havisham Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a repeat I typed and posted but didn't see it appear.... anyway long story short 3 weeks today and I am at a total loss of 7.8 lbs, the dinner worked out ok I had some options and stuck to it , had to have some cake but shared the bulk with my daughter.
    Did my group exercise class twice this week. Tried a new recipe from Keto Connect a site I learned from coming here. Easy Lemon Chicken, it was a mess to make partly my fault, it was tasty the lemon sauce was pretty good, not sure I would make it again though. Weekend is here again..have a good one everyone :)
  • velvetvelma
    velvetvelma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello guys, nice to meet you all i'm a newbie here.
    I've been on keto diet, it's my 10th day and i can say that this is the diet that i love most.
    I'm 5'6".
    Started out with 129.4 lbs and now i'm 122.7 lbs.
    So i have lost 6.7 lbs so far! Which is awesome to me.
    My goal is 110lbs - 114lbs. I'll stick with this diet and planning to combine it with P90X starting on next monday. I love keto! ;)
  • sebastiansteinmann
    sebastiansteinmann Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Had a major partly planned collapse 10 days ago but feel I'm back on track now. Hit my initial goal of 80kg(176lbs), and has stayed there for 3 days, so not a fluke. Next goal is 75kg.

Only issue is 2 bachelorparties the next 2 weekends, and seems like I managed to get myself sick. Any tips on staying keto while sick? Seems my body craves those carbs even more!