Workout check-in: You all deserve a (p)real good hand of applause! :)

Options

Replies

• amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I didn't post on this thread, but I did a half *kitten* work out on Weds (deloaded squats and OHP with some deadlifts). Still short today because I skipped rows, but hurray for me I'm meeting my trainer next week to start working on pull ups as a replacement for Wretched rows! I'm throwing in the towel, I hate rows and they make my back hurt for days. Screw em.

Today, still deloaded:
    Squats 3x5 @ 155
    Bench press 1x5 @ 87, 2x5 @ 82
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Easy day today as it was Shoulders. Was near work early so did the shoulder exercises then an hour on the treadmill reading textbook.

side lateral raise - 2x12 @ 12.5
    front singe raise - 2x12 @ 12.5
    standing db shoulder press - 2x8 @ 25
    bent over side raise - 2x12 @ 10
    face pulls - 2x8 @ 85 and 1x12 @ 70
    for fun did 2x5 @ 100 on seated row while waiting to do face pulls as half of the cable spots are currently broken at this location
    hour on treadmill most of which at a 4 incline and 3 speed while reading
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
    Options
    Today's workout: 35 minutes on the arm crank ergometer

@DawnEmbers I should do that workout too - my shoulders need all the help they can get.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    discovered a muscle i've never heard of today. ** became convinced from pictures and also from symptom descriptions and case histories that THIS is the muscle on the left that burns and 'tears' and has that skin-twist feeling to it htat little kids call a 'bangle' so much of the time.

stretched it. it was brief but that stretch was O_O eye-bugging. also, when i put both feet back on the ground i was literally walking differently.

pmuch took a break from lifting until i work out whether all the above is a good thing or a bad thing.

the muscle is . .
    quadratus femoris. yeah, you've never heard of it either, right :tongue:
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 6X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 40X7X35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Buns, Guns and Abs 30 Day Challenge
    75 Squats
    22 push-ups
    Rest Day leg lifts

April move your @$$ Challenge
    I will take at least 2 -2mile walks today!

Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd-May20th
    One day left to prepare! Join us to tighten up your eating and your body!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10544958/keto-lc-4-week-challenge-april-23rd-may-20th#latest
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    discovered a muscle i've never heard of today. ** became convinced from pictures and also from symptom descriptions and case histories that THIS is the muscle on the left that burns and 'tears' and has that skin-twist feeling to it htat little kids call a 'bangle' so much of the time.

stretched it. it was brief but that stretch was O_O eye-bugging. also, when i put both feet back on the ground i was literally walking differently.

pmuch took a break from lifting until i work out whether all the above is a good thing or a bad thing.

the muscle is . .
    quadratus femoris. yeah, you've never heard of it either, right :tongue:

The kids over here call that a sunburn xD Never hear dof a bangle. But ugh, been getting grief from my quads all week. I think they were very unhappy with my poor food choices.

Anyways, haven't had my rest day, but since I'll be gone without a proper gym for a week, figured I'd go in and do some work. Just a little. Minimalist is the word.

Front squats
    65x8, 75x12, 80x12, 85x12, 95x10

conventional deadlift (first time back at them since the lower back spasm episodes back in late november)
    65x8, 95x8, 135x10, 155x10 - did that weird pinch thing to my hand. It's been happening a good bit lately where this tendon (?) or something other gets caught between the bone and the bar when I grip something heavy. And then it hurts like a b**** (yes, a bruise, shhh) when I subsequently put pressure on it.

But I tried to do another set with 155, started with a finger grip, but again, haven't done heavy deads in a while, so bar was slipping, I tried to get a palm grip and WOW the pain in my hand. So I regrouped and finished the set hanging on to the bar for dear life. Lol. 9 reps. And i was done

except for some hip mobility. Didn't pull at anything too violently today, so as a result I was pretty loose once I got back up from the ground. Wee!

I think I missed reporting yesterday,s workout, too. Bench worked up to 120x4 I believe. Rows 105x5 (?), OHP 80x5, and some fairly heavy higher reps close grip pulldowns. I'm rebuilding strength. Slowly, but surely!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 6X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 44X7X35

80 Squats
    23 push-ups
    80 leg lifts

It is snowing today! Definitely will take at least a 2 mile walk will have to see how slippery it is. Hopefully I will do more.

Day one of our challenge! Suggestion for today is to take a look at the recipes and pictures of low-carb meals that fellow MFP'ers have submitted!
    This is a fantastic site to get meal ideas from!
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10274397/what-does-your-low-carb-meals-look-like#latest
    Recipes
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10044905/share-your-original-recipes#latest
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Deadlift Day

10 minute warmup on elliptical
    deadlift 2x10 @ 135, 1x8 @ 185, with belt 1x5 @ 205 and 1x4 @ 245
    sdl - 1x10 @ 155
    yates row - 2x8 @ 95
    clean - 1x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 1x5 @ 75
    walked on treadmill for 30 minutes at 5 incline and 3 speed then a cool down

Deadlift was supposed to be 1x3 but felt decent so decided to do a 4th rep. Last peak cycle I had to do 2x3 for it them 3x1 at 155 followed by 1x2. Next weekend I'll tried 1x3 @ 255 and see how it goes since my current max is the 1x2 at that weight.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    The outer sides of my back, right above the hips, have been bothering me for the past week so I'd better call the quack soon.

Meanwhile - I swam a third of a mile at the Olympic-size community pool. I was swimming faster than the last time months ago, probably thanks to weightlifting and the arm crank erg. I was running out of breath more easily though - I haven't run very much at all and my heart rate doesn't go nearly as high with the cardio I have been doing.

As I left, I asked to buy a 15-session pass. The young woman (looked in her 20s) started to explain how it worked and then stopped in mid-sentence: "Oh, are you over 50?" turned out I got to pay $20 rather than $35.
    Not sure what to make of her guessing my age (51) but I thought it was funnier than hell.

:p

:
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    The outer sides of my back, right above the hips, have been bothering me for the past week
    :

quadratus lumborum. sjaddup, me, and it might not be anyway.

went and tested my quad fem with some squats, but only very very cautiously as thursday and friday at work were just miserable. you don't want to mess up this muscle, people. it's a tiny little thing but it makes it so you can't tolerate sitting on your own hamstrings and that side of your bum feels like it would glow in the dark if they turned the lights off. also, it's stupidly hard to get a lacrosse ball or foam roller to and almost equally hard to isolate for any kind of rehab movement since it's so overpower-able by your glutes.

anyway, it seemed calmer today so i tried it out while being in a state of perpetual terror that one single bad move or jerk would set it off again. i can't help having this hypochondriac fear that i tore it or something, maybe even 10 years ago when i crashed my bike on black ice. but more probably with some little too-primal surge coming out of a squat. there's this terrifying little case history out there on the interwebz about this woman who fell on one buttock and went through years of 'it's your piriformis' and 'your core is weak' only to finally have the paper-writers discover her quad fem was completely detached from the bone on the femur side and had wrapped itself round her sciatic nerve or something. ahh, self-help on the medical plane.

tl:dr: i did light squats. don't seem to be rekt. touching wood.

• fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 15X 95/105/115/120

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 20X7X35

Rest Day Squats
    24 push-ups
    85 leg lifts

I am going to be on the road most of the day so I will take an evening walk.

Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 24th-May20th
    Everyone has great goals! We have a great group of people working together to support and inspire each other!
  • lkpducky
    Options
    The outer sides of my back, right above the hips, have been bothering me for the past week
    :

quadratus lumborum. sjaddup, me, and it might not be anyway.

The pain does indeed appear to be around there. thanks! I couldn't find any mention of that muscle in the other back muscle anatomy charts I found, until you told me this term.

http://www.triggerpointtherapist.com/blog/quadratus-lumborum-trigger-points/ql-trigger-points-masters-low-back-pain/

I made an appointment with the back quack for May 5. Soonest I could get. Now watch - the pain will go away since I made said appointment. :p
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    ^ my quack uses students, one week one told me my left leg is shorter than the other, the next week another student said my right leg is shorter. I just smiled and nodded
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @jen_092 You should've done like House did: write on his leg "Not this leg" "Not this leg either" (or it was something to that effect) :p
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    I made an appointment with the back quack for May 5. Soonest I could get. Now watch - the pain will go away since I made said appointment. :p

a foam roller can do it too, if you snug it crosswise into your waist. and then if that muscle is pissed, let yourself relax onto it SLOWLY. ql is 'deep;, i.e. underneath other muscles. so even if you're poking/foam rolling around in that zone you might not come across it unless you give the more superficial muscles time to stop guarding it first.

i trigger-pointed my quad fem yesterday and it seems as if it's really helped. by, of all things, getting my little plastic reusable ice cubes out of the freezer and snugging one right into that space and just sitting on it. yeah, don't worry. nobody uses those ice cubes in drinks :tongue:

i don't usually ice but this was probably a real inflammation thing, so for once i did. and surprise, it seems as if it actually helped. at least i don't have the burning hamstrings and the whole-glute tenderness still going on. still going realllllly carefully here, but i couldn't resist going to the gym before work and doing a short session of just-the-bar squats. i was afraid i'd re-activate it and also didn't think very much of my form because i didn't know how much load it could take, but i did really want to try out the range of motion before it heals up in some new state of scarring or tightness or something else that's going to be a big pain in the butt.

thanks for bearing with me.

• fanncy0626
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 6X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 44X7X35

85 Squats
    25 push-ups
    Rest Day leg lifts

Definitely will take at least a 2 mile walk maybe too! It is extremely cold for this time of year. Tonight we are going to get ice and up to 3 inches of snow. Another 5 inches tomorrow!

Day 3/28 I lost another 1.2 pounds today added to the .2 from yesterday for a total of 1.4 pounds! For the next couple of days I am going to learn how to resist temptation! Tonight I have a dinner banquet. Tomorrow I will be celebrating my son-in-law's birthday. I am predicting success!
  • lkpducky
    Options

a foam roller can do it too, if you snug it crosswise into your waist. and then if that muscle is pissed, let yourself relax onto it SLOWLY. ql is 'deep;, i.e. underneath other muscles. so even if you're poking/foam rolling around in that zone you might not come across it unless you give the more superficial muscles time to stop guarding it first.

I just did that except with a rubber massage ball and (aside from aftermath of rolling) THE OVER-HIP PAIN IS GONE!!

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could swear that the ball popped and compressed at some point! Maybe it was the side of my torso popping? but there was no pain afterwards.

• amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    New stuffs today! I had a session with my PT to check my deadlift form (flying colors) and start working toward pullups. I'm going to feel it tomorrow for sure, but it feels good to walk away from rows and start working toward something I can see having more real world application.

Squats: 1x5 of Empty bar/95/115, 2×5 @ 135
    Assisted pullups and lat pull-downs (didn't count)
    Deadlifts 1x5 @95, 1x3 @ 102, 1x3 @ 152
  • lkpducky
    Options
    You can do it @amyinthetardis1231 !

Update - the side of my torso popping has now become sore. I hope I didn't pull or tear something. At least I'm not screaming in pain, so there's that.

My husband doesn't call me "Disaster Duck" for nothing.

But the over-the-hip pain is still gone :p