Niha's OMAD Journal

Options

Replies

• mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    wsandy8512 wrote: »
    Niha, what about adding protein and fats in with your fruits and whole grains? I understand a lot of people think low carb is key to weight loss, but it honestly isn't. Barring some unknown medical issues or allergies, why not shoot for a balanced diet? You could add healthy fats like nuts, seeds, avocados, etc., have fruit and whole grains, and feel completely satiated for a very long time. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Personally, I want to lose weight differently than in the past and that means no severe caloric or food restrictions, I want to eat and live now like I plan on eating, whether that's OMAD or another version of Intermittent Fasting with a larger window, etc., and living for the rest of my life. Some people have successfully transitioned to maintenance after losing weight eating low carb diets, but most of them, as with any other kind of dieting, end up regaining the weight and have to start the whole ugly process all over again.

Of course, the ultimate decision lies with you. If you feel low carb is the only way, and you think you'll be one of the few people who can transition to a higher carb diet afterwards and keep the weight off, then by all means, do it. :-) You have tons of support here, and I can't speak for everyone, but I adore the heck out of you and shall continue to cheer you on no matter how you approach YOUR weight loss. :-)

Thanks Sandy. Joe and you have made me realize that I should keep it as close to my normal meal as possible, which would be how I would maintain. Will try and not get scared by the carbs but it will take a while I guess :smiley:
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    mikseyniha wrote: »
    Thanks Sandy. Joe and you have made me realize that I should keep it as close to my normal meal as possible, which would be how I would maintain. Will try and not get scared by the carbs but it will take a while I guess :smiley:

You're welcome. I believe the most important thing is to find your (in general) happy now, and then it will be something you can stick with for the rest of your life. I find that the only time I hold on to weight has nothing to do with the carbs, so much as the type of carbs, protein, and fat. If I eat the overly processed stuff with oodles of salt--I will gain, whether just water or not, and it not only takes longer to get back down, but to make it to the next lower level. I hope you can find your happy! :-)
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I agree with both Joe and Sandy - it has to be something you can stick with for the rest of your life and try not to overthink it too much! There is just far too much conflicting information about dieting and losing weight out there and you could drive yourself insane with it all!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    You are doing really well. With monthly body water fluctuations, you will need to plot the data and look at the trends long term. A one day weight reading/fluctuation really won't mean a lot. Good luck!
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Niha, don't be afraid of carb- for a while I thought just thinking about carbs made me gain.. I've been stuffing myself with sweet carbs for the last 3 days and I still lost! Try it, enjoy it, and don't restrict yourself too much. That's why Omad is so much more enjoyable and less stress!
  • mikseyniha
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your support, I really appreciate it :)
  • mikseyniha
    Options
    Week 16 results:
    Well, I gained this week. I re-introduced carbs in my diet and the results are as expected. I also binged today after seeing this gain
    :( I will be back to OMAD tomorrow though.

Week.............. Weight..................................Loss........
    1....…..............94 kg/206.8 lbs.......... .......2.4 kg / 5.28 lbs
    2.......…............93.2 kg/205 lbs..................0.8 kg/ 1.8 lbs
    3.....….............91.6 kg/201.5 lbs.............. 1.6 kg/ 3.52 lbs
    4.............…..…91.2 kg/200.6 lbs............. 0.4 kg/ 0.9 lbs
    5....................90.6 kg/199.3 lbs............. 0.6 kg/ 1.32 lbs
    6....................89.7 kg/197.3 lbs...............0.9 kg/ 1.98 lbs
    7....................89.1 kg/196 lbs................... 0.6 kg/ 1.32 lbs
    8....................87.1 kg/191.6 lbs.............. 2 kg/ 4.4 lbs
    9……...............86.4 kg/190.1 lbs............... 0.7 kg/1.54 lbs 10…...............85.1kg/187.2 lbs............... 1.3 kg/2.86 lbs
    11..................84.7 kg/186.3 lbs.............. 0.4 kg/0.88 lbs
    12...................84.6 kg/186.1 lbs............. 0.1 kg/0.2 lbs
    13...................82.7 kg/181.9 lbs............. 1.9 kg/4.18 lbs
    14....................81.6 kg/179.5 lbs.............1.1 kg/2.42 lbs
    15....................81.4 kg/179.1 lbs............ 0.2 kg/0.44 lbs
    16....................82.2 kg/180.8 lbs............ +0.8 kg/1.76 lbs

Total weight loss in 16 OMAD weeks: 14.2 kg/31.24 lbs
    Total weight loss: 22.8 kg/50.16 lbs
    Goal weight range is 60 to 65 kg or 132 to 143 lbs
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Don't get down, just a minor blip.
    You'll get back on track soon enough.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Adding carbs back and seeing a weight gain doesn't necessarily mean it is a fat gain. Carbs cause a lot of water retention and that may be all it is.
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    Niha, it's just water weight. Please try not to be upset and .8 isn't a bad gain and assume that carbs are what caused it. I am affected by any refined carbs, I'm affected by highly processed meats and highly processed fats and anything with tons of salt. Regardless of food groups, and I love all of them, the closer I stick to less processed the better, though I enjoy the processed stuff, too!

Carbs are not bad or evil, not regular, good for you carbs from whole grains, fruits and vegetables, including potatoes, anyway. They don't cause cravings like their refined carb and added sugar cousins... chips, white breads, pretzels, boxed cereals, etc. Those are often the bad guys, though on OMAD you can still lose with those, too. But, I know that bad carbs will cause me to crave even more bad carbs so I rarely eat them and that's okay, but I do eat them sometimes.

• mikseyniha
    Options
    @jvcinv @blambo61 @wsandy8512 thanks so much guys for the motivation. I sure will be back on track tomorrow. But I must say I loved my binge today :wink: it was all junk :tongue:
    Anyways, bye bye junk food. It was nice catching up :smiley:
  • wsandy8512
    Options
    @jvcinv @blambo61 @wsandy8512 thanks so much guys for the motivation. I sure will be back on track tomorrow. But I must say I loved my binge today :wink: it was all junk :tongue:

That's the spirit! And that's also what binges are for, eating what we don't eat a lot of and enjoying it. We just have to learn not to feel guilty and not enjoy them on a daily basis. :)
  • mistymeadows2005
    mistymeadows2005 Posts: 3,737 Member
    Options
    Great attitude! Get back on that wagon and keep on going girl!
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Once in a while we deserve a "binge"! Enjoy and move on.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Carbs cause water retention but only to a limit. If we go from low-carb to eating carbs, we may put on a couple of lbs of water weight but that won't increase if you keep eating the carbs. The water gain is a one-time deal and will set a new baseline weight that you can see if your losing fat against. If you went back to low carb, you would immediately lose those couple of lbs cause its just water (I'm not recommending going back to low carb but am just emphasizing that it is water gain and not fat gain).
  • sammygold2015
    sammygold2015 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Stay the course, you have this.
  • mikseyniha
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Carbs cause water retention but only to a limit. If we go from low-carb to eating carbs, we may put on a couple of lbs of water weight but that won't increase if you keep eating the carbs. The water gain is a one-time deal and will set a new baseline weight that you can see if your losing fat against. If you went back to low carb, you would immediately lose those couple of lbs cause its just water (I'm not recommending going back to low carb but am just emphasizing that it is water gain and not fat gain).

Thanks @blambo61 I like your explanation. Gives me a new baseline to start over :)
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Call it a splurge day - not a binge!!
  • ArizonaToast
    ArizonaToast Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Consider it a calorie cycling day. :) Good luck.
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    That is awesome to get only that minor jump! When I went from low carb to normal carb, I gained like 5 lbs the next day! You're doing great!