TEAM: The Slimsons (March)

Options

Replies

• tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    AB0215 wrote: »
    tinak33 wrote: »
    I worked my way up, starting at 30 a day for a week, then adding 15 or so. Once I got to 100, I figured I could easily maintain that daily!
    I do 30 at a time, and then the last 10. I already finished my 100 for the today.
    Definitely working on that water intake! Making today a fasting day, as well.... after all the cookies I ate yesterday and Sunday... on top of the sodium! UGH. I feel gross. haha

@tinak33 I keep telling my mom she needs to do that, adding a little at a time, but she is trying to be me and just go for it, but that's not necessarily how everyone should do it, it's how I do everything, literally everything. She needs to build up to it like you did.

You crack me up, you always own your food, and I need to be more like you and own it when I eat more than I should lol but I like to blame things like TOM or my tattoo healing, lol, but you just own it. Love it.

I have kind of a dumb question for you two. Are squats the same thing as deep knee bends? We used to call squats the exercise you do with a barbell across your shoulder and you do a deep knee bend with the weight. A deep knee bend was a squat without the weight added. I can't do either because of my knees/back and my excess weight...but I'm just curious if the terminology has changed over the years.

Sounds like it's the same thing. I don't have any extra weight or barbells when I do my squats. But I when @AB0215 squats, she has weight.
    I think we just call them "weighted squats" vs "body weight squats" to differentiate....? Not sure....
  • tinak33
    Options
    I had a big victory over food today. Our main software was down today so I decided to take a quick walk through our IT department that has a mezzanine with stairs. Don't you know they were having a bake sale up there with my favorite (banana pudding). I was able to stop and chat with my friends without getting any goodies. It was right before lunch and I was really hungry so I was proud of myself of resisting that. I also felt good walking up that steep set of stairs. They used to kill my knees. I was able to walk down like a normal person too....not half step at a time like I did before.

That's awesome!!

I couldn't do the stairs at work, and had to take the elevator because my knees and back hurt too much. Now I can run up the stairs if I want to.... and be really out of breath at the top. hahaha But no knee pain!
  • CindyJNC1963
    CindyJNC1963 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I had a big victory over food today. Our main software was down today so I decided to take a quick walk through our IT department that has a mezzanine with stairs. Don't you know they were having a bake sale up there with my favorite (banana pudding). I was able to stop and chat with my friends without getting any goodies. It was right before lunch and I was really hungry so I was proud of myself of resisting that. I also felt good walking up that steep set of stairs. They used to kill my knees. I was able to walk down like a normal person too....not half step at a time like I did before.

That's awesome!!

I couldn't do the stairs at work, and had to take the elevator because my knees and back hurt too much. Now I can run up the stairs if I want to.... and be really out of breath at the top. hahaha But no knee pain!

That's great about your knees. I hope mine will be better when I get more weight off. I used to have really bad pain in my right foot....and it is gone now. I never took the elevator but I sure did hang on to the handrail for dear life :-) I don't think I'm quite ready to try running up the stairs yet. I would probably make a fool of myself and fall.

• AB0215
    AB0215 Posts: 7,141 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have kind of a dumb question for you two. Are squats the same thing as deep knee bends? We used to call squats the exercise you do with a barbell across your shoulder and you do a deep knee bend with the weight. A deep knee bend was a squat without the weight added. I can't do either because of my knees/back and my excess weight...but I'm just curious if the terminology has changed over the years.

Sounds like it's the same thing. I don't have any extra weight or barbells when I do my squats. But I when @AB0215 squats, she has weight.
    I think we just call them "weighted squats" vs "body weight squats" to differentiate....? Not sure....

I'm not sure it is the same thing, looking up a deep knee bend (I'd never heard that before), it looks to be more about foot placement and you're in more of an up right position. In a squat, you'd want your feet flat on the ground, and in a deep knee bend, they say to be more on the toes with your heels off the ground. It also seems like your knees are closer together and less pointed outward, which would work your muscles a bit differently.
    From what I can tell, the deep knee bends are a pilates type exercise aimed at helping dancers with foot and leg strength.

And for the squats I do them several ways, one with a barbell on my back, or resting in the front and now I'm doing them while holding the barbell overhead because that helps with my overhead movements in my olympic weight lifting.

@CindyJNC1963
    And while I'm not an expert, I have to wonder if you built up to it, if you could start doing them again. I was told that I'd never be able to squat when I broke my kneecap, by a doctor, and not only can I squat 235 lbs on top of my bodyweight, I am also doing Olympic weight lifting which relies HEAVILY on squats. Just makes me wonder, and I'm in no way suggesting that you run out and put 100 lbs on your back and squat it...just wondering out loud, somewhat from experience.
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,308 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Got my fasted cardio/strength training done✔️ this morning....but had one of those "I don't wanna" mornings---and this morning's workout turned out awesome! 💪🏻😝. Plus the instructor came over to me afterwards and said I look great ☺️ made my day!

Going for a second round with my son for rowing and treadmill later😅---my son keeps me honest about "Two Round Tuesdays" as we call them.

dhp9wiigo34j.pnge30q5dqxbnac.png

KEEP GOING STRONG TEAM---this Tuesday isn't going to stop us🙌💫✨❤️🤘🏻😉
  • AB0215
    edited March 2019
    Options

That's awesome!!

I was in the same boat, not being able to use the stairs, I had broken my kneecap when I was in school, let the doctors tell me what I couldn't do and then I spiraled from there, gaining more and more weight and not being able to do those things for real, now I don't let others, even doctors tell me what I can or cannot do.

Now I can run up the stairs, and to prove a point to my sister, I ran up 4 flights of stairs faster than it took her to get up there using the elevator...

@CindyJNC1963 That is a HUGE NSV!! WTG!
  • tinak33
    Options

That's awesome!!

I was in the same boat, not being able to use the stairs, I had broken my kneecap when I was in school, let the doctors tell me what I couldn't do and then I spiraled from there, gaining more and more weight and not being able to do those things for real, now I don't let others, even doctors tell me what I can or cannot do.

Now I can run up the stairs, and to prove a point to my sister, I ran up 4 flights of stairs faster than it took her to get up there using the elevator...

@CindyJNC1963 That is a HUGE NSV!! WTG!

OMG, I totally race the elevator sometimes... hahaha!!
  • CindyJNC1963
    Options

I'm not sure it is the same thing, looking up a deep knee bend (I'd never heard that before), it looks to be more about foot placement and you're in more of an up right position. In a squat, you'd want your feet flat on the ground, and in a deep knee bend, they say to be more on the toes with your heels off the ground. It also seems like your knees are closer together and less pointed outward, which would work your muscles a bit differently.
    From what I can tell, the deep knee bends are a pilates type exercise aimed at helping dancers with foot and leg strength.

And for the squats I do them several ways, one with a barbell on my back, or resting in the front and now I'm doing them while holding the barbell overhead because that helps with my overhead movements in my olympic weight lifting.

@CindyJNC1963
    And while I'm not an expert, I have to wonder if you built up to it, if you could start doing them again. I was told that I'd never be able to squat when I broke my kneecap, by a doctor, and not only can I squat 235 lbs on top of my bodyweight, I am also doing Olympic weight lifting which relies HEAVILY on squats. Just makes me wonder, and I'm in no way suggesting that you run out and put 100 lbs on your back and squat it...just wondering out loud.

How interesting. I just asked a coworker and she calls that exercise squats too. No, the kind I was taught wasn't to stand up on your toes. This article seems to explain it: http://www.fitnessmission.org/2011/11/04/the-best-leg-exercise-ever/
    Maybe it is a regional thing. I'm from the hollers of WV so it's no telling what I might call things.

Many years ago I had a gym set up in my house and did squats with weights but I can't imagine doing them with weights over my head. That is incredible. And 235lb squats is REALLY incredible.

I just tried to do a squat in my cubicle but I got tickled because my pants are too tight. I will try when I get home. I might be able to do it...but I don't want to push it too much.

• AB0215
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @CindyJNC1963 Let's be clear, I can't do 235 lb squats over my head, only back squats at this point. And thank you, it took me 2 years to do that, but I was pretty proud of it.

As for your squats or knee bends take it slow and only do a couple to see how it feels at first, don't push if it hurts or anything, just take it slow! Good luck!

And I wonder if it is a regional thing as for as deep knee bends vs squats, I've always heard of them referred to squats and what I've seen so far suggests deep knee bends being something else, maybe it really just depends on what you're doing them for on the variation of the exercise...
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,308 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Daily Post: Tuesday, March 19th
    Username: SLIMn2016

✅ Track: Yes
    ✅ Calories: Yes, fasting day
    ✅ Exercise: Yes, Body Pump, Stair Climber & Treadmill (morning) and Treadmill & Adaptive Motion Trainer and a quick one mile walk outside with 🐾Goldie🐻 (evening)
    ✅ Water: 255.6 oz.
    ✅ Steps: 23,085 /12 miles

🗣Comments: Couldn't row tonight, the machines were all taken. 🙄😟 Now gotta try to stick to my IF plan for the rest of the evening. 🤞🏻😬
  • batgirl140
    batgirl140 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Dailycheck in: March 19

Track: Yes
    Calories: Under ( had jelly beans, so over my sugar)
    Exercise: No, again. Trying to find my motivation.

Still getting my 80 oz of water. I’m sure I could get more down if I was exercising.

I’m really going to stall if I don’t get my body moving! Tomorrow’s another day!
  • vicky2767
    vicky2767 Posts: 2,472 Member
    Options
    gjaholy33 wrote: »
    vicky2767 wrote: »
    My sons birthday today. Going to take him to an ice cream place for dessert tonight. Hopefully I can control myself. Lol.

I know you have the will power to eat small portions. Sending birthday hugs to your son's
    auypfut025i9.png

Thank you. We actually didn’t go. His brother took him to chick fil a for a big milk shake after school. So no ice cream.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Daily Post: Tuesday, 3.19

✅ 👙Track: Yes
    ✅ 👙Calories: under
    Exercise: no - 12 hr day today at work.

Didn’t eat a lot today - was running around at work and still not done. Back to soulcycle tomorrow.

You guys rock! Awesome dedication!
    Tomorrow is the first day of Spring!!!

🐛~~~~~~~~> 🦋

• tinak33
    Options
    Daily post for Tuesday

Track: yes
    Calories: yes, under
    Exercise: stairs at work and 100 squats
    Water: 155 oz and counting...

Feeling a bit better with my low sodium day. Hoping that I can improve on those good feelings tomorrow! Haha
    And also hoping the scale is nice to me..... :#:D
  • gjaholy33
    gjaholy33 Posts: 2,626 Member
    Options
    batgirl140 wrote: »
    Dailycheck in: March 19

Calories: Under ( had jelly beans, so over my sugar)
    Exercise: No, again. Trying to find my motivation.

Still getting my 80 oz of water. I’m sure I could get more down if I was exercising.

I’m really going to stall if I don’t get my body moving! Tomorrow’s another day!

Be encouraged we all have these kinds of days we just have to keep going and not giving up even when we don't feel like it. You can do this!
  • gjaholy33
    Options
    Daily post for Tuesday

Track: yes
    Calories: yes, under
    Exercise: stairs at work and 100 squats
    Water: 155 oz and counting...

Feeling a bit better with my low sodium day. Hoping that I can improve on those good feelings tomorrow! Haha
    And also hoping the scale is nice to me..... :#:D

Yes just stay positive and hope the scale is nice to you but if not keep on going on and stay strong. You got this!
  • gjaholy33
    Options
    Daily Post Tuesday

Track yes
    Calories yes under
    Exercise yes 15 minutes walking
    Water 80oz
    Goals/comments
    I woke up with this cyst/abscess in the back of my throat so I couldn't take my meds or eat anything until this afternoon and only applesauce and only a little liquid cause it feels like I'm choking all the time. I did call my dr at 5am and she call me back at 9 and told me she'll arrange transportation for me to be a walk in being that I'm asthmatic but they couldn't do anything for me so I'm going to the ENT at 4pm tomorrow just have to get through another night and day without eating solids.

My sister said at least it help me lose more weight. . .she's hilarious but I how she put a positive spin on things

TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY STAYING POSITIVE
  • CindyJNC1963
    Options
    Daily Post: March 19th

Calories under goal: Yes
    Exercise: 11,500 steps walking + 5 squats (thought I would give it a shot - my left knee was a little balky but I survived). I somehow got "credit" for walking up 3 flights of steps for walking up the stairs to the mezzanine today.
  • AB0215
    Options
    Daily Post: March 19th

Calories under goal: Yes
    Exercise: 11,500 steps walking + 5 squats (thought I would give it a shot - my left knee was a little balky but I survived). I somehow got "credit" for walking up 3 flights of steps for walking up the stairs to the mezzanine today.

@CindyJNC1963 That's awesome!! I think 11 stairs might be what counts as a flight....don't quote me on that, my memory doesn't always serve me right....
    Awesome job with the squats!! If you don't have pain or any negative effects, it will help strengthen your legs/knees. Really exciting news! Great job!
This discussion has been closed.