Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,845 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Exactly! People just won’t believe you can lose weight without drastic measures. Eat less, move more isn’t a sufficiently exotic solution.

Welcome short burst of rain this morning. Mostly doing indoor chores today because 🥵.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    Yeah, no one wants to hear "I ate a whole lot less and thought about why I was eating."

I'm going to have to get some sort of support garment. I've still got a lot of fat on my belly, but also a lot of loose skin, and it pulls on my back. I think it will get better as I lose weight, but this in-between is difficult.
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I need to talk about how stressful vacation planning is. Last time I attempted a trip, it was pre-pandemic, it got cancelled. This time it might get cancelled again and I just wanna cry. I haven't been on a proper long vacation (so not a city trip of less than a week) is 7 or 8 years ago and I NEED to go but I can't handle having to rely on other people to decide whether the trip will happen. I get that the company needs more people to go but for once I'd like something in my life to be easy, you know? Vacations are supposed to be relaxing and fun and actually being abroad and doing activities will be but is it worth the months of stress that precede it? These are the times I wish I was rich because then I'd just book a dozen trips at the same time to increase my chances of one happening and just eat the financial loss. But since I don't live in that fantasy world I guess I'll email the company on monday - a national holiday but I'm too busy on tuesday to find the time to even hit send on a pre-composed email - and hope for the best.

It also makes me feel very lonely because I can only talk about this to my family - my mum and sister - because I'm not that close with most other people and my relationships with existing friends have cooled significantly for really no good reason other than me being exhausted from constantly being the one to take initiative.
    One of my closest friends ghosted me in the middle of the pandemic, didn't talk to me on his birthday, my birthday or when my dad died, and another friend casually said that she typically just agrees to hang out with anyone who asks her because she feels bad for lonely people even if she doesn't like them, which led me to think about our relationship and it showed me I was indeed the one always starting conversations and initiating things. I know she's an introvert and doesn't need to see other people to be happy but idk it seems disproportionate ánd I am an extrovert who needs to be around people to feel okay.
    The only reason I mention this is because loneliness is a known reason to overeat for me and I'm already feeling a fake hunger rn as a result of it. I've also been told I never open up about myself to other people or talk about my struggles so I figured it would be better to type all this out than keep it in.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    So much of food a "hunger" is in our heads it's not even funny. I'll let our resident smart ladies address relationships and people... I'm sort of better at being bossed around by canines! :wink:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Bojaantje, definitely better to write about struggles - gives us some sense of control over parts of our lives that we might not have control over. You write it down - spell it out in well chosen words - and with any luck we feel a little less powerless - and a little less hungry!

"In my head hunger" is about 90% - sometimes 100% of my hunger. I rarely have the chance to actually get hungry....

Hope the vacation plans truly come together soon and you get that much needed vacation. Keeps us posted.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I've been meaning to ask about the vacation. Is it some kind of aventure tour or similar that requires a minimum amount of participants for the thing to happen?
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    I know I use planning and activity to reduce my anxiety, and often the activity I'm using to defer the anxiety of "I need to do something and I have nothing to do" is to eat. Especially at night, when a lot of the useful work has been done, and I know I'm too tired to start anything, but at the same time I'm wanting to wind down. I'm going to have to work out how to wind myself down.

I'd like to listen to music and work on my quilt, but I don't want to do that til I get new glasses so I can see what I'm doing. My close prescription has definitely changed over the last year.
  • bojaantje3822
    bojaantje3822 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    @PAV8888 Yeah it requires minimum participants and I'm kinda forced to do that type of thing because it's cheaper than booking everything yourself when you travel solo. Also safety in numbers, since I'm not fully comfortable traveling halfway across the world to a country I don't know or speak the language of, as a woman on my own. And after the pandemic and years of only city trips because I couldn't afford a longer trip, Europe (where I live) seems boring or not enough.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,896 Member
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Sorry for the radio silence - I've been visiting family for a few days because my eldest sister is pretty ill in hospital. She's neglected her health very badly for most of her life and unfortunately she's now suffering the consequences of that....this week, after numerous tests and a couple of exploratory biopsies under local anaesthetic she's been diagnosed with a seriously fatty liver, blocked bile duct, raging diabetes, extremely high cholesterol and possibly liver cancer (still waiting histology results from the biopsies, so hopefully the shadow detected on the MRI is a false alarm.) She's very jaundiced, pretty poorly and feeling mighty, mighty scared, down-in-the-dumps and (understandably) a bit sorry for herself.

Made me very aware of the need to continue to control my weight - my sister is 1.53m tall and weighs 110kg (BMI 47)....always jokes she's allergic to exercise and sweat....has a sweet tooth...loves fast food, snacking and hates to cook...is the poster child for emotional eating...almost immobile due to damaged knees...The behaviours she could get away with at 22, 32, 42, 52, 62 have finally caught up with her at the age of 72, and the prognosis is grim if she can't make some lifestyle modifications. It's a scary and worrisome situation.

But anyway...now I'm back home and girding my loins for a challenging couple of weeks on the home front. Tomorrow BIL arrives for a week-long stay (which means lots of eating out and possibly some boozing), and then from 15th we're off camping for a week, at a campsite that has an amazing cafe that makes to-die-for cakes and pastries. Some strong willpower will be required!
  • Yoolypr
    edited June 2022
    Options
    So sorry about your sister Bella. Hope this experience may help her make some changes?
    Sounds like a busy challenging time ahead for you. But you’re not new to life’s little surprises and can get through it with your usual determination.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Garfield, been missing you!

I so wish some of you ladies could be here. You could have been shopping (for free) till you were dropping.

Instead we're hauling SUV loads of clothes with price tags to the Salvation Army 🤯🥺🙀🤬
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,896 Member
    Options
    I'll still be AWOL for most of the next two weeks, but I'll check in whenever I get the chance. I'm still in maintenance-pushing-downwards (though over the next week that may change to maintenance-pushing-upwards..) Being the same weight as I am today (62.0 kg) in two weeks' time would be a good result...

Pav, I don't envy you the Sally Army trips...I had to do the same with my mom's clothes (still many with tags on) and I'm already dreading the numerous trips I'll have to take to the charity shop if I outlive MIL...
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Had the same Salvation Army trips with my mother’s things. She sacrificed for years so in her old age she bought all the things she denied herself. But of course, it was all somehow too good to actually be used by her so it lived in the closets and dressers with tags still attached.

Perhaps it was just good enough for mom to know she had those wonderful things.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Sad for your sister @Bella_Figura
    I hope she figures things out.

Thank you for the "sally ann stories" :smiley:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Very sad to read about your sister, Bella. I hope that she can find a way to be healthier and happy in the later chapters of life.

Amazing how much stuff we amass - and how much "getting rid of" takes place after we leave this life. It feels so long ago when I had the responsibility you are are in the midst of PAV.

My dad passed when I was pretty young, 35 years ago, he didn't have a lot...my mom packed up the little clothing there was and we took it to the Sally Ann in one car trip. When my MIL passed 33 years ago, it was a major undertaking - she had two boys, my husband at the time and his brother, who naturally let me take over the task. My Mom (adoptive) 15 years ago was a big, heart-breaking one - all the childhood memories then, and in her closets I found many beautiful dress-up outfits with the tags still attached. The last was my birth mom 8 years ago who was extremely organized and tried very hard to sort things out herself in her final months - but she left a lot (think a 20' cube van full) of artificial flower arrangement making supplies to properly home.

I hope no more until my kids have to go through my stuff... :)

So much STRESS! Yet you are still maintain and tracking and here cheering us on. You are an inspiration.
  • PAV8888
    edited June 2022
    Options
    It is tiny bit of a downer, a bit of a mess, few things personal to me as this is a house built during this millennium, but I keep finding things belonging to upstream relatives who have passed in addition to the multiple expired cosmetics, boxes of watches, tagged items, etc etc.

The handbags, scarfs, shoes and accessories have either been picked by eager helpers or are filling up my dining room for the eventual used store opening -- together with Laurie's eyeglass inventory once we build the "portrait"😹

Did I mention fur coatS? some are mom's and more my godmother's (who for a time wrote a society column in a Manhattan community paper)... I don't want to throw them--that doesn't seem right to the dead animals to begin with. But they are not a marketable item. So what the **kittens**?

Funny story on first world problems, I actually added a frozen dinner shepherds pie and tomatoes (I need to log and count the tomatoes towards bunnies 🙀) to reduce deficit last night after midnight because I realized I was too low for the day 🙀🙀🙀
  • PAV8888
    edited June 2022
    Options
    In other news, I may soon be rid of the expensive 🐶 dog 🐕 and dog insurance!

She is currently vacationing without me in the Kootenay Lake region of BC

Latest report:
    https://icedrive.net/s/9fyvgt91BCYtAACxZ8TaASGbDRBw
    "Must be the food is behind schedule because of the cold wet spring. We've seen more bear and deer in 5 days then all our other trips combined . Up to 4 grizzly and 3 black bear already. Deer and moose and caribou in the dozens. All on the **kittens** road, of course"
  • Yoolypr
    edited June 2022
    Options
    What to do with old furs? Local company here turns them into teddy bears. Don’t know how much that costs but would make a nice gift. Kids or adults.

I took some of my mom’s stuff to a battered women’s shelter. They took clothes, shoes, accessories, household goods, and unexpired beauty items. Most of the women housed there left with only the clothes on their backs. Also some went to a disaster relief organization- victims of fire, floods. Maybe some stuff for Ukrainian refugees or immigrants?

It took some calling around but I found a home for most everything.

Don’t envy you having to go through this. It is emotionally draining. Be kind to yourself!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Since COVID local women's shelter operates indirectly via Salvation Army only. Hence Salvation Army. Nothing unexpired even though quite a bit WAS in good shape once test opened