Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    Glad you are healing nicely, Yooly. An extra 100 pounds certainly results in a bigger impact :# soon, if we keep working at it, we will learn how to "miss the ground" when we fall and catch an updraft back up so that we land on our feet! :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    I thought you were a dog, not a cat person!: 😲
  • lauriekallis

B)
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,233 Member
    Hope all that need healing are healing nicely - sending along my good vibes too!

I am plugging away, not all that successfully sadly, but still at it.

While I live, I hope!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,813 Member
    dfblillohrau.jpeg

Hopefully motivation and I will meet up again very soon!
  • lauriekallis
    Haven't seen them anywhere around these parts - but will keep my eyes open.
  • PAV8888
    "this is who I am" / "this is what I do" / "habits" beat motivation any time! :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    edited May 2023
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    "this is who I am" / "this is what I do" / "habits" beat motivation any time! :wink:

What to do when old habits are stronger than more recent ones? This is who I am, this is what I do - but today I’m who I used to be!

I need some motivation to remember who I’m supposed to be now 🥺
  • PAV8888
    Ha! Is that the blind leading the partially sighted :smiley: Well, I'm having a 1000+ gram salad with the 81g slice of pizza! The veg were already on the other side of about to go bad, so it was now or never and at today's prices it was now! 190g field greens, 400g tomato, 85g onion, 274g cooked beets, 150g previously frozen mixed veg (corn, carrot, pea mix), 85g can of lemon tuna, extra sad looking half lemon... was thinking of leaving some for later... not sure that's happening! :hushed:
  • lauriekallis
    Those old habits like to hang around - sometimes they feel like something more than a "habit" ???
  • Yoolypr
    Those old habits like to hang around - sometimes they feel like something more than a "habit" ???

Definitely more than habits. It’s that “other” person inside. Kind of like the inner child popping in to say “remember me? We had lots of fun before!. Let’s do that again.”
  • lauriekallis
    What a freakin' brat the child is!
  • PAV8888
    Nah, I think it is the (previously) default condition we are trying to change and establish a new default. The problem with defaults is that we tend to default to them... and it takes quite a bit of time of having established other defaults via probably new habits to move away from the old defaults, assuming that it can even be done.

I am not even talking about daily habits. They're one thing. I am talking about defaults under stress, especially. What happens when they hit? the old defaults or the "new-ish" habits? Can the new-ish habits overcome them?
  • Yoolypr
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I am talking about defaults under stress, especially. What happens when they hit? the old defaults or the "new-ish" habits? Can the new-ish habits overcome them?

Nope - when the stress is BAD I go right to old defaults for comfort. Maybe because it’s all relatively new? I think it’s mostly because I have no newish habits that provide the same stress relief.
    I feel very good about being in control most of the time. But once in a while I kind of lose it. Mercifully it only happens when the stress and anxiety are really BAD. Unlike in the past when it didn’t take much to send me over the edge.
  • PAV8888
    Yes.... me thinks that perhaps I was implying something similar.... as I catch myself popping chocolates like.... candy... oh well... hmmm.... I wonder where the expression comes from.

At least I've somewhat kept up to the meandering.... somewhat. And admittedly the December cookie powered increase was definitely worse. I don't even know that there IS an increase taking place yet. But certainly no decrease, THAT part's for sure.
  • Yoolypr
    I often think that those of us living with a partner or family might face greater challenges with food control. Even if the family is very supportive like mine.

Eating with others and daily family food prep is often giving up control over what is on the table. There’s also the issue of having others dubious grocery items brought into the house. Chips, cookies, ice cream......

Would I do better if I shopped and cooked for myself alone? I don’t know - that hasn’t happened in nearly 50 years! Or would I be inclined to buy/eat treats because no one is observing my food intake? No raised eyebrows when I have a second helping?
  • PAV8888
    Either or both happen... at least with me.
  • lauriekallis
    Me two. I thought it would be easier when The Boy wasn't part of my daily food selection choices - but no - made no difference.
  • Yoolypr
    emh3k58ibzy9.jpeg
  • Yoolypr
    And my favorite......
    wr98l4871al2.png