2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Pam--I am so glad you were able to visit with your friend and that she liked the hats. I am so sorry that the chemo is not halting the progress of the cancer. My father died of a fast acting cancer in six months from time of diagnosis. It is very difficult watching someone waste away and there is little you can do other than be with them when possible and give support.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    KonaKat wrote: »
    I'm debating whether to go early tomorrow morning for lab work or wait until Monday morning. Monday is when I go to the appointment with the new orthopedic practice. It will be cold tomorrow morning. I did a search and saw that it usually takes up to 3 months for diet and exercise to affect cholesterol results. My total and HDL is fine but the LDL isn't.

Three months, wow! I need to get bloodwork done before I see the cardiologist but I'm trying to wait as long as possible.

• mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »

I finally was able to see my friend who has cancer and has been hospitalized for the past month. They got the bad news this week that the 2 rounds of chemo she has had have not slowed the progression of her disease. They haven’t told us officially, but I think they have decided to stop treatment and move to palliative care and/or hospice. Another friend and I visited for about 30 minutes but left after her sons arrived. They live out of town so we didn’t want to intrude on their family time. It was very sad to see how much our sweet friend has declined in such a short time, but I was happy to have a chance to hug her and tell her I love her. She seemed to like the hats I made for her, and put one of them on during our visit.

It sounds like she fought the good fight. I'm sorry you are going to lose her but glad you got a chance to see her.
  • mdubbs1
    Once a year my best friend has me and several of her family members out for crabs to celebrate several different birthdays. Steamed crabs was a very strange tradition I discovered when we moved here but one I've readily adopted. DH not so much.

When my mother was alive they came down every year and took us out. Dad and DH got crab cakes; my mom and I did crabs.
  • mdubbs1
    I don't know if anyone cares but I discovered there are some packs of JC food on amazon. Someone is selling the snack pack on ebay. When I saw it, I said to myself "hmmm, this looks like an official snack pack" and went looking for it. Found it on amazon.

I think some of the packs are unfortunate. The breakfast sampler has shakes, which I don't want. The lunch sampler has several meals I don't like. There's no dinner sampler. But the snack and dessert samplers look good!
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--This lab work is for the primary for whom I have an appointment on March 9. I always send the results to the cardiologist to avoid more testing. I think I will wait until the beginning of March to have it done as that will take care of the primary and the cardiologist in April. In the meantime, if I find a good source on lowering cholesterol more quickly I will let you know.
  • KonaKat
    Losing ten pounds is a big help as it will lower it up to 8%:
    https://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/features/11-tips-to-cut-your-cholesterol-fast#1
  • mdubbs1
    Maryanne--This lab work is for the primary for whom I have an appointment on March 9. I always send the results to the cardiologist to avoid more testing. I think I will wait until the beginning of March to have it done as that will take care of the primary and the cardiologist in April. In the meantime, if I find a good source on lowering cholesterol more quickly I will let you know.

• mdubbs1

• mdubbs1
    6uls3gtgogus.png
  • mdubbs1
    2pijcrplin45.png
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--I love the memes! Especially "full disclosure."

I have never tried JC but the price kept me from trying. Right now, I am using the dinner package I got from QVC. There is no choice but believe it or not, they happen to be ones I like. I don't eat them every evening but they are handy to have on hand to mix with Lean Cuisine, etc.

I just completed 14 straight days of exercising at least 60 minutes. I am really surprised but I it is getting addicting.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member

I have never tried JC but the price kept me from trying. Right now, I am using the dinner package I got from QVC. There is no choice but believe it or not, they happen to be ones I like. I don't eat them every evening but they are handy to have on hand to mix with Lean Cuisine, etc.

I just completed 14 straight days of exercising at least 60 minutes. I am really surprised but I it is getting addicting.

My primary care doctor tried to put me on a statin drug several years ago for a reading of 208. I refused, thinking that wasn’t a high enough reading to warrant medication. So instead she suggested that I try 600 mg of Red Yeast Rice and 200 mg of CoQ10 every night, along with diet and exercise. That combo has kept my cholesterol below 200 and my ratios are good, so you might give that a try. As I understand it, Red Yeast Rice is a natural statin versus the synthetic form in the prescription drugs. I never experienced any side effects from it. I was told that you need both supplements taken together, and that it is more effective if taken at bedtime than during the daytime.
  • KonaKat
  • PamS53

Jean, thanks for the link to the article on RYRE. That explains why it is getting harder to find it at places like Walmart and Target. I think I’ve been taking it for at least 15 years or longer without any issues. I was planning to look for it on Amazon today because I struck out this week locally.
  • KonaKat
    Pam--I just went to Amazon and ordered a bottle of that product that has both in one capsule. It won't do anything for this lab work but in a few months, it might.
  • PamS53
    edited February 2020
    Jean, I just ordered the same thing, lol. I didn’t know there was a combination form until I started shopping for it on Amazon. I’ll have some CoQ10 left over, but it will be nice to have fewer pills to take. Another plus is that the combined form is significantly less expensive than buying them separately. I hope it works for you.
  • PamS53
    Pam--I just went to Amazon and ordered a bottle of that product that has both in one capsule. It won't do anything for this lab work but in a few months, it might.

• mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »

My primary care doctor tried to put me on a statin drug several years ago for a reading of 208. I refused, thinking that wasn’t a high enough reading to warrant medication. So instead she suggested that I try 600 mg of Red Yeast Rice and 200 mg of CoQ10 every night, along with diet and exercise. That combo has kept my cholesterol below 200 and my ratios are good, so you might give that a try. As I understand it, Red Yeast Rice is a natural statin versus the synthetic form in the prescription drugs. I never experienced any side effects from it. I was told that you need both supplements taken together, and that it is more effective if taken at bedtime than during the daytime.

I just printed that off for DH. He's come up with some wacky cholesterol ideas for himself but no overall game plan other than no statins. It's not like he wouldn't have time to research it.
  • mdubbs1

Printing off this too.