2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Well, this is this weeks record of steps: 82,123

gj40ifu4sncj.png

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Well, this is this weeks record of steps: 82,123

gj40ifu4sncj.png

WOW!! Good job!
  • KonaKat
    Truly an exciting afternoon. It is being filled with 600 Lb Life on TLC until 5pm Eastern.

Off to see the orthopedic tomorrow. I plan to eat out afterwards and then do some grocery shopping. Exciting life!
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Truly an exciting afternoon. It is being filled with 600 Lb Life on TLC until 5pm Eastern.

Off to see the orthopedic tomorrow. I plan to eat out afterwards and then do some grocery shopping. Exciting life!

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Jean, that’s an amazing number of steps. It would be surprising if it didn’t show up in a loss. I bought myself a Fitbit. I should be more aware of my steps since it buzzes to remind me how many steps I need to the next mini goal. I need a push like that to get me moving.
  • KonaKat
    Helene--The FitBit app is excellent. If yours has the heart rate function, you'll also get a record of your sleep. That buzz every hour in which you haven't done a minimum of 250 steps is a definite plus. Actually, the 10,000 steps is recommended for everyone and if weight loss is involved, even more. I can tell from the intensity of the heart rate with the steps that casual walking does add up to steps but it isn't a big calorie burner. The app will tell you how many calories the walk involves if yours has the heart rate monitor.
  • KonaKat
    This is the record of the calories burned in one of those reminders to get steps in. I didn't do it at a great intensity as can be seen from the heart rate but it shows how many calories were burned during the 13 minutes, or 5 calories a minute.

xr3jsljwdo1r.png
  • KonaKat
    If you knew that you had to put in 20 minutes of exercise to get rid of the calories in a 100 to 120 calorie treat not needed, then one might think twice about eating it if not part of the days permitted calories:

0i226qo3kp2d.png
  • PamS53
    Helene--The FitBit app is excellent. If yours has the heart rate function, you'll also get a record of your sleep. That buzz every hour in which you haven't done a minimum of 250 steps is a definite plus. Actually, the 10,000 steps is recommended for everyone and if weight loss is involved, even more. I can tell from the intensity of the heart rate with the steps that casual walking does add up to steps but it isn't a big calorie burner. The app will tell you how many calories the walk involves if yours has the heart rate monitor.

• PamS53
    This is the record of the calories burned in one of those reminders to get steps in. I didn't do it at a great intensity as can be seen from the heart rate but it shows how many calories were burned during the 13 minutes, or 5 calories a minute.

xr3jsljwdo1r.png

• mdubbs1
    If you knew that you had to put in 20 minutes of exercise to get rid of the calories in a 100 to 120 calorie treat not needed, then one might think twice about eating it if not part of the days permitted calories:

0i226qo3kp2d.png

Definitely words to think about!!
  • KonaKat
    I got carried away pedaling to a full episode of Mindhunters on Netflix. I ended up with the equivalent of over 14,000 steps. Sundays are good days to build up a bank of steps in case a future day in the week doesnt permit me getting in the 10,000. I think I've become a little OCD about this but I'm actually enjoying the exercise now the way I'm doing it. I might have to increase the tension as it appears to becoming too easy.
  • mdubbs1
    I got carried away pedaling to a full episode of Mindhunters on Netflix. I ended up with the equivalent of over 14,000 steps. Sundays are good days to build up a bank of steps in case a future day in the week doesnt permit me getting in the 10,000. I think I've become a little OCD about this but I'm actually enjoying the exercise now the way I'm doing it. I might have to increase the tension as it appears to becoming too easy.

Never wondered about it before but why oh why doesn't my OCD extend to my exercise. Hmmmmm.......
  • mdubbs1
    I had a good week last week, even with the lunch at the restaurant Saturday. I lost 2 pounds!

aa0ypzbua2am.png
  • PamS53
    Good job, Maryanne! Sadly, I gained 2 pounds last week. We went out to dinner with another couple Saturday night at a very expensive steakhouse in our area. DH and I had never eaten there before but we were curious so we agreed to go when they asked us. I had a spinach salad with a warm bacon dressing and bacon wrapped scallops for my meal, with a small scoop of mashed potatoes. DH and I shared a dessert of ice cream with a flaming brandy nut sauce over it that was prepared tableside. It was all truly delicious, but apparently pretty high in calories since my weight was up the next day and is still up today.

I’m going out to dinner tonight with friends, including my friend whose husband died suddenly last month, it will be another challenge dietwise. I’ll do the best I can, but I don’t even know yet where we’re going.

My friend who has cancer is going into hospice care today. Over the weekend she was moved to an intermediate facility where they worked on her pain management regimen in preparation for the move home, which is scheduled to happen today. After seeing her Friday, I feel she doesn’t have long to live. Honestly, due to the amount of pain she’s in, I hope for a fairly quick end to her suffering. It’s very sad though, especially for her family and many friends. I expect her husband to sell their home and move up north to be near their sons and their families very soon after she passes. They had been looking and planning to do that before she was diagnosed, but had not found a home yet that they both liked. I can’t blame him if he does. I’m sure their home here would be filled with so many memories that a fresh start somewhere else would be very welcome for him.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - I'm sorry your circle of friends is dealing with so much loss. It must be really hard!
  • Helene610
    Jean, I do have the heart rate feature in my Fitbit. I subscribe to the Hungry Girl newsletter for her recipes. She had a link to the Fitbit Charge 3. It’s normally $150 but it was on special for $99. I don’t like buying from sites I don’t know so I checked Amazon. Plus their protection plan was a couple dollars less. So it bought from them. Because of the sleep function, I went to bed a little earlier than usual. The previous night, I slept 6.5 hours. Last night, I got 8 hours sleep. So I’m already making some better choices.
  • mdubbs1
    I am updating my spreadsheet and discovered that I am now "merely" overweight!

In cleaning out some old files I found a spreadsheet I set up for one year's "birthday splurge" aka "birthday binge" which always expanded past whatever I set up on the spreadsheet. My goal for this year is to avoid that. If I can turn 70 without the annual birthday binge I think I'll know I'm on the right track.

Restaurants are hard. Especially ones without calorie counts on the menu. I'm going to applebee's tomorrow for lunch and at least that menu has calories. Unfortunately the reasonable calorie items are limited but I'll deal. I also have to go to a retirement dinner Friday evening.That restaurant does not have calories and the menu was pre-chosen. I screwed up my backbone and responded to the organizer's offer to deal with special dietary needs outside the menu. I told her I'd like the Maryland crab soup (tomato based) and a single crab cake. I don't normally put myself out there but I'm willing to consider my cardiac issues a special dietary need. I don't want their salad - it has olives and bacon and cheese and dressing. Not my idea of a healthy salad. And of course I want nothing to do with the dessert that's part of the pre-ordered menu.

This week I've got 3 days that I'm eating out of a NS box I special ordered. These "themes" are sort of silly but on the other hand, they seem to help me stay on track. The week before I go to the cardiologist next I'm going to try my first "packet week". I had to laugh at myself the other day. For some reason it had never consciously been a thought in my head that on packet day I'm eating like someone post weight loss surgery. I surely do see why they have them eat that way. That stuff keeps you FULL!
  • Helene610
    Pam, what you ate didn’t sound that bad. I’ll bet it was high in sodium and you’re retaining fluid. I gained a pound and a half after Thursday’s potluck. It’s gone already so I guess it was fluid. I’m so sorry about your friend. I hope they can keep her comfortable and manage her pain.
  • mdubbs1
    Doing my spreadsheet for today reminded me of the advantages. I was able to adjust for lunch at Applebees and hopefully end up with a decent day!