2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    My niece had her emergency surgery yesterday afternoon to place a stent in her kidney. She had such a severe infection that they were unable to remove the large stone until some of the infection drains from the kidney, so a stent and a drain were placed. She was told that the infection had already turned to sepsis and if she had not gone in when she did, she likely would have died within 24 hours. As of this morning she said she was feeling better and thought she might be going home today, with a return in a week of so to address the kidney stone that started the infection. My sister is flying to her side now and should be there early this afternoon.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    Pam - that's very good news overall.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    mdubbs1 wrote: »
    Helene610 wrote: »
    We had a great time at Cats today...the traveling Broadway show, not the movie. The show was great. The dancers were obviously trained dancers. Reading their bios, one was a former Rockette. I had to catch up on my walking after the show. So far, I have 4000 steps done. I’m hoping for another 500 before bedtime.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I haven't heard much good about the movie.
    We had a great time at Cats today...the traveling Broadway show, not the movie. The show was great. The dancers were obviously trained dancers. Reading their bios, one was a former Rockette. I had to catch up on my walking after the show. So far, I have 4000 steps done. I’m hoping for another 500 before bedtime.

We didn’t see the movie. This was a live production by the traveling cast of Cats. We had second row seats. I wouldn’t bother seeing the movie. The reviews were terrible.
  • Helene610
    Fitbit gave me my first badge for a 5000 step day yesterday. I’ve been working on adding a couple hundred more steps each day than I did the day before. Having the Fitbit buzz at me to remind me to get in 250 steps and hour helps make me move. The sleep analysis is interesting. My sleep is only fair. I’ve always known I’m a restless, light sleeper. This really lays it out for me.I’ve been averaging around a 70. I need to be above 80 to get into the good category. The other night, I went to bed earlier. I wasn’t sleepy and it took over an hour to fall asleep. I’m sleeping between 6.5 and 7 hours. I don’t know what I can do to improve it but at least I’m aware of my sleep quality now.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Helene--Congrats upon the badge; those hourly reminders are a great help. As far as the sleep issue is concerned, if you have read the info that goes with the stages, the score is based upon a variety of factors. Sometimes going to bed too early if you aren't tired or sleepy just results in tossing and turning, hoping for sleep to come. The length of time you are sleeping is about what I do. What I find interesting is the oxygen variation chart that FitBit has introduced with the sleep stage graph. That is found below the sleep stage graph.
  • mdubbs1
    I've always liked sleeping. I usually spend 9-10 hours a night in bed. Of course I also take an OTC sleep aid (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S6XHJW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and one or two benadryl. I wouldn't advise anyone to start on benadryl but I've taken it at night for decades for my allergies so I figure whatever long term side effects there may be I'm going to have them (sort of the too late now school of thought). DH takes a prescription sleep med and sleeps terribly.

My internist prescribed a sleep med for me once. It cost a fortune and a "common" side effect was described as basically being paralyzed as you fall asleep and/or as you wake up. Umm, no way, no how......
  • KonaKat
    Helene--In case you haven't seen the oxygen variation graph, this is where it is located:

rc5zsm3zvgdi.png
  • Helene610
    I function pretty well on the amount of sleep I get. Sometimes the leg I had therapy on aches at night. It’s probably because I’m pushing the steps. On those nights, I’ll take an Ibuprofen PM to calm down the ache. It seems to help. I don’t need one every night. I think my main problem is the amount of time it takes me to fall asleep. DH is asleep within minutes of his head hitting the pillow. It can take an hour for me to relax enough to sleep.
  • PamS53
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Helene--Congrats upon the badge; those hourly reminders are a great help. As far as the sleep issue is concerned, if you have read the info that goes with the stages, the score is based upon a variety of factors. Sometimes going to bed too early if you aren't tired or sleepy just results in tossing and turning, hoping for sleep to come. The length of time you are sleeping is about what I do. What I find interesting is the oxygen variation chart that FitBit has introduced with the sleep stage graph. That is found below the sleep stage graph.

• PamS53
    Helene--In case you haven't seen the oxygen variation graph, this is where it is located:

rc5zsm3zvgdi.png

• PamS53
    I usually don’t have trouble falling asleep, but sometime have issues with staying asleep, especially as I’ve gotten older with the accompanying aches and pains that brings. I take 10 mg of melatonin at bedtime and that has helped a lot. I usually read for about half an hour after I get in bed on my e-reader, with the backlighting turned to its lowest setting so it doesn’t disturb DH. When I turn it off, I usually fall asleep within minutes. I typically sleep around 8 hours most nights.
  • Helene610
    I have looked at the oxygen variation chart. I was pleased to see that I was mostly green. A couple days, I had a couple of yellow spikes. I usually wake up twice during the night to use the bathroom. I wonder if the spikes corresponded to the times I wake up. I’ll have to pay more attention to what time I get up. Maybe I can compare the times to the spikes.
  • KonaKat
    Helene--My personal hunch is that the oxygen variation spikes probably occur when you are waking up. I may have posted this link but here goes:

https://blog.fitbit.com/should-you-really-take-10000-steps-a-day/
  • mdubbs1
    Helene--My personal hunch is that the oxygen variation spikes probably occur when you are waking up. I may have posted this link but here goes:

https://blog.fitbit.com/should-you-really-take-10000-steps-a-day/

• KonaKat
    Now, this is funny. I thought I would check out the Noom program at 80% off. I will lose 23 pounds by February. Good trick if I could do it since March is just around the corner. At 80% off it is only $199 for 12 months. I'm currently 169 so I'm ahead of their schedule:

q1m79aa8oo40.png

• KonaKat
    The Noom offer was in today's emails and valid until the end of February, but the data they used was info I put in the website over Christmas break. Even then I thought 23 pounds was a lot to use by February. There was no way to change the data and I am not interested in a full year program.
  • KonaKat
    I wasn't as rigid with my eating this week as I didn't want the body to get used to a routine. I did, however, kept on track with the exercise with Monday when I had the appointment being the only one in which I did not get in 10,000 steps but made that up on other days.

wa0ixicsyks2.png
  • PamS53
    Now, this is funny. I thought I would check out the Noom program at 80% off. I will lose 23 pounds by February. Good trick if I could do it since March is just around the corner. At 80% off it is only $199 for 12 months. I'm currently 169 so I'm ahead of their schedule:

q1m79aa8oo40.png

• PamS53
    The Noom offer was in today's emails and valid until the end of February, but the data they used was info I put in the website over Christmas break. Even then I thought 23 pounds was a lot to use by February. There was no way to change the data and I am not interested in a full year program.

• PamS53
    I wasn't as rigid with my eating this week as I didn't want the body to get used to a routine. I did, however, kept on track with the exercise with Monday when I had the appointment being the only one in which I did not get in 10,000 steps but made that up on other days.

wa0ixicsyks2.png