2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I’m getting ready to go and vote in our primary. Early voting ends this week and I’d rather do it today although I’m still trying to decide which candidate to vote for in the presidential race. I really like Amy Klobuchar, but I think she will be dropping out soon. My second choice is Mayor Pete, but I also thinks he’s lacking in experience. My third choice is Joe Biden, but I really think he’s too old at this point for the rigors of the job. I’m not really on the Sanders or Warren bandwagon, and I’m not a fan of either of the billionaires in the race. Maybe I’ll flip a coin when I get there, lol.

We haven't gotten our absentee ballots yet. I've already convinced two men who I never would have guessed would vote for a gay mayor to join the Mayor Pete bandwagon (DH and my best friend's ex husband). I would actually love to see Elizabeth Warren as president but don't think it will ever happen so will likely vote for Mayor Pete in the primary. Unless he does something dumb and one thing I love about his campaign is they don't seem to do dumb things. I guess I'm just a sucker for smart!
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Great job losing a pound. I,ve been the same for a couple of days but I’m hoping for a little drop this week. My scale weighs in tenths so I see a few tenths at a time. I actually prefer that than having to wait for a whole pound. I’m doing good on the steps. I have a few hundred steps to get in before bedtime. Once I do that, I’ll have four 5000 plus days in a row.

It's funny - I think that scale would drive me bananas.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    We just got our absentee ballots in the mail yesterday. We have to get them into the mail today. I like Elizabeth Warren as our senator. She has a lot of good ideas and qualities but she can also come across as abrasive. I don’t think she could get the votes to beat Trump so I’m not voting for her. I like Amy and Pete but I’m still undecided. Bernie’s health and age concern me and as much as I like Biden, but he’s made a lot of missteps.

I gIt in 300 more steps last night before bedtime. I got my stats back for last week. I walked 32,000 steps. I don’t think I ever did more than 15,000 steps in a week. The Fitbit’s reminders get me moving even if I don’t feel like it. It makes me more consistent than I am on my own.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    My scale measures in .2 of a pound and I like it. It keeps me aware of which direction I’m trending and that helps me make adjustments before things get completely off the rails.

I just got back from voting. In the end I decided to go with Mayor Pete. I just don’t think Amy Klobuchar can go the distance and even if she became the nominee, I don’t think she could defeat trump. Biden would have been my next choice, but I think he’s got too much baggage. I love early voting — no lines! I had only1 person ahead of me, so I was in and out in about 10 minutes. We have new machines this year, so it took a minute to figure that out or I would have been out sooner.

Our early voting location happens to be at the city’s recreation center, so while I was there I renewed my membership. It’s free for seniors, but the hours we’re allowed to use it are restricted to 5:00 to 1:00 every day. Those hours work for me, so now I just have to try to get myself to get out the door and go.
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - that is SUPER convenient!
  • Helene610
    We did early voting in 2018 during the fall elections. It was the first time offered in MA. It’s a lot more convent than waiting in line. I think we were out in about 10 minutes. We had to do absentee ballots for the primary because we are out of state. I went for Mayor Pete as well. I’ve been impressed by him ever time I see him speak on TV.
  • mdubbs1
    We were able to apply for an entire year's absentee ballots in one fax. Pretty cool! (Assuming it works as advertised anyway).
  • mdubbs1
    I had lunch Monday with a friend who's having a really hard time. I took her a tote bag full of my packets and told her to track whether she likes any of them and I'd give her more. I'd bought her a microwave a month or so ago and she says she has a bowl, mug and measuring cup so she should be able to make most of them. She was worried about depleting my stash. Hah! I had to admit I've gotten a little carried away.
  • PamS53
    Maryanne, that is very generous of you to share your stash and encourage your friend. I hope it helps her.

I just watched the debate. I thought the middle and the end of the debate was pretty good, but the beginning drove me nuts. I’m tired of watching them sling mud at each other instead of telling us how they would address the issues they’re being asked about. I didn’t like Elizabeth Warren’s attack on Bloomberg and I hope it backfires for her. Unless she can provide proof that he made the statement she “quoted”, I think she shouldn’t have gone there. I still really like Klobuchar, but I just don’t think she can go all the way. Mayor Pete did pretty well, but I don’t know if it will be enough. I thought Biden did better tonight than he’s done in any of the other debates I’ve watched.
  • mdubbs1
    I can just picture our Jack doing this:

0nmid0p6nvn4.png
  • mdubbs1
    edited February 2020
    Pam - you're right that we want to hear solutions!

I can't stomach the debates, though, I'm ashamed to admit. I wait and read about it. E.g. https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/25/politics/who-won-south-carolina-debate/index.html

He agrees with you - one of his "winners" from the debate -

Donald Trump: A bitter, angry shout-fest in which virtually every potential nominee's dirty laundry was aired? The President couldn't have drawn up a better debate for his chances of winning a second term.
  • PamS53
    Maryanne, that was a good summary of what I saw last night watching the debate. I particularly agreed with the comments about the moderators. They completely lost control of the debate early on, seemed to regain it in the middle, then flipped back and forth toward the end. I didn’t think it was a good night for Elizabeth Warren at all. She seemed tired.
  • Helene610
    I watched the first half of the debate before turning it off. Everyone was talking over the candidates. I thought the moderators really lost control. They needed to tell people their time was up much more forcefully than they did. I would have stuck around if I’d known they were going to get past the attacks. All this in fighting is helping Trump and making it more likely we’ll have to suffer through 4 more years of him. I liked Mayor Pete reminding voters that control of the House and Senate are also at stake so they’re going to have to get out and vote.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I watched the first half of the debate before turning it off. Everyone was talking over the candidates. I thought the moderators really lost control. They needed to tell people their time was up much more forcefully than they did. I would have stuck around if I’d known they were going to get past the attacks. All this in fighting is helping Trump and making it more likely we’ll have to suffer through 4 more years of him. I liked Mayor Pete reminding voters that control of the House and Senate are also at stake so they’re going to have to get out and vote.

The man is brilliant, can think on his feet, and I think essentially has a good heart.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Maryanne, that was a good summary of what I saw last night watching the debate. I particularly agreed with the comments about the moderators. They completely lost control of the debate early on, seemed to regain it in the middle, then flipped back and forth toward the end. I didn’t think it was a good night for Elizabeth Warren at all. She seemed tired.

Chris is one of my favorite commentators. I'm SO behind in everything right now that getting the debate force fed to me was a gift.

Of course I will have time for Survivor tonight.

Hmmm..... that makes me wonder.....will this daggone virus impact filming of next year's Survivor which I think usually starts in March or April.

• Helene610
    I doubt the virus would affect it. The island is in the middle of nowhere so you don’t have big crowds going there. I don’t know if the crew stays somewhere off the beaten path. I wonder if they fly commercial or if they use charter flights. I guess we’ll find out. I’m enjoying the new twists this season. I had to laugh at Sandra being mad that Rob didn’t tell her he was playing. She never said that she told him she was playing. Maybe she did and they edited it out. She’s a great player but somewhat of a Diva.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    I'm sick of politics, and this coming from someone who once was a part time lobbyist.

I got my cholesterol test results back, and all the factors are in the normal range with the Total being 180.

• PamS53
    KonaKat wrote: »
    I'm sick of politics, and this coming from someone who once was a part time lobbyist.

I got my cholesterol test results back, and all the factors are in the normal range with the Total being 180.

Excellent results, Jean!
  • Helene610
    Great job on the cholesterol test, Jean. Are you on a station drug or is that number from diet and exercise. Either, that’s great.
  • mdubbs1
    KonaKat wrote: »

That's great!!