2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I came across the lab report from my last lab work. My cholesterol was 139. I’m on a low dose of atorvastin. I guess it’s doing it’s job. I resisted going on it a few years ago. I think my number was around 210. When I look at the difference, I guess my doctor knew what she was talking about. It’s really done the job.

I resisted simvastatin for a year. Tried really hard but couldn't do it on my own.

I've had my blood tested 8 times since October 2018 and everything has been normal except 3 of the 8 times, my glucose was in the pre-diabetic range. That and my blood pressure are two really good reasons to get serious.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    Pam, you’ve had a lot of stress and sadness recently with friends’ illnesses and deaths. That may be contributing to you not feeling like exercising. Do you have a friend who might walk with you to ease back into exercise? Years ago, my father was dying from cancer. I was very stressed out over the situation. I was taking an aerobics class at the time. I found my stress went down on the days when I took the class. It might be hard to motivate yourself to start but you may feel less stress afterwards. Take baby steps and ease into it.
  • mdubbs1
    From a New York Times editorial (I'll post the link but don't think you can see it without a subscription):

To Pete Buttigieg’s many other virtues, add these: He’s not delusional, and he can see beyond himself.

He looked at what happened in South Carolina on Saturday. He looked at what was likely to happen in the many states that will vote on Tuesday. And he recognized that he had no path to the Democratic presidential nomination and that staying in the race would probably help Bernie Sanders, the rival he had branded a dangerous nominee.

So on Sunday he got out. Just like that. No praying for a miracle. No waiting too long. No protracted melodrama or slow-building drum roll of hints. No, the youngest of the Democratic aspirants did the grown-up thing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/opinion/Pete-Buttigieg-speech.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I was sad to see Mayor Pete drop out and now Amy Klobuchar as well. They were my top 2 candidates for the nomination. When I early voted last week I chose him because I hoped that if he was able to carry some of the states voting on Super Tuesday it would give him enough of a boost to keep going. Obviously that didn’t pan out as I had hoped. I really liked Klobuchar but she just isn’t charismatic enough to stand out from such a large field of candidates.

I was able to read the article without a subscription. The author made several good points. I hope we see Mayor Pete continue in politics.
  • mdubbs1
    I'm betting Mayor Pete ends up in a high position in the Biden administration (being optimistic there).
  • Helene610
    I early voted for Pete. I was disappointed to see him go but I think he did the right thing, at the right time for the right reason. I have been out all afternoon so I didn’t see any news coverage of Amy dropping out. I liked her but didn’t think she had a chance to be the final candidate.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Maryanne--Congrats upon your weight loss. You may be hearing your cardiologist's voice in your head but you are the one fanning the spart of motivation into a calorie burning fire.

Helene--The Noom program has worked well for you. Congrats upon nearing your Noom goal and congrats upon those outstanding cholesterol results.

Pam--Yoiu have been under much stress lately, and stress often results in weight gain. You have been supporting many people as they face their challenges, and that is time well spent but also is time that you perhaps need to evaluate as to how much can be spent on you.

I worked today and was tired wheen I got home. I could easily have skipped doing the rest of my steps, but there is something about those steps that represent accomplishment more than what the scale says.

I know that sounds odd but I was told long time ago that if I was to lose much weight because of my height and metabolism, I would really have to step up the exercise. I still have the discharge papers from 5 years ago in which the electrophysiologist and cardiologigst said I needed to do a minimum of an hour of exercise a day....and that was beyond normal household stuff.

The same eletrophysiologist said to lay off the Advil type drugs as they were blood thinners and were not a good idea to take with the Xarelto. I don't take the Advil everyday but when I really need it, I take it! It works great on inflammation and muscle pain as well as headaches.

I have an appointment next Monday with my primary. I'll weigh myself that morning and then with what I'm wearing to the appointment so I can make a comparison to his scales.
  • KonaKat
    I have a hunch we have not seen the last of Mayor Pete. A smart presidential candidate would select him for a running mate.
  • PamS53
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Maryanne--Congrats upon your weight loss. You may be hearing your cardiologist's voice in your head but you are the one fanning the spart of motivation into a calorie burning fire.

Helene--The Noom program has worked well for you. Congrats upon nearing your Noom goal and congrats upon those outstanding cholesterol results.

Pam--Yoiu have been under much stress lately, and stress often results in weight gain. You have been supporting many people as they face their challenges, and that is time well spent but also is time that you perhaps need to evaluate as to how much can be spent on you.

I worked today and was tired wheen I got home. I could easily have skipped doing the rest of my steps, but there is something about those steps that represent accomplishment more than what the scale says.

I know that sounds odd but I was told long time ago that if I was to lose much weight because of my height and metabolism, I would really have to step up the exercise. I still have the discharge papers from 5 years ago in which the electrophysiologist and cardiologigst said I needed to do a minimum of an hour of exercise a day....and that was beyond normal household stuff.

The same eletrophysiologist said to lay off the Advil type drugs as they were blood thinners and were not a good idea to take with the Xarelto. I don't take the Advil everyday but when I really need it, I take it! It works great on inflammation and muscle pain as well as headaches.

I have an appointment next Monday with my primary. I'll weigh myself that morning and then with what I'm wearing to the appointment so I can make a comparison to his scales.

• PamS53
    I have a hunch we have not seen the last of Mayor Pete. A smart presidential candidate would select him for a running mate.

• mdubbs1

That would be great but I seriously doubt either he or Amy will be on the ticket. Wish it might be otherwise.
  • mdubbs1
    Jean - an hour of exercise a day is a lot!
  • Helene610
    Jean, I know what you mean about the satisfaction of getting in the steps. Now that I’m used to doing them, I want to equal or exceed the number I did the day before. The Fitbit buzzes if I haven’t done 250 steps that hour. When I bread it down to that amount, it’s really not so hard to achieve my daily goal. When I think of how hard I found it to do 2000 steps, I can’t believe I’m doing more than twice that amount. Of course, some of that time was when I was doing PT on my leg.
  • KonaKat
    Helene--The FitBit or its colleagues may be gadgets but the reality is that when you are focused on a goal, it helps you achieve it. Can I do 250 steps in an hour? Easy! Can you do 500 steps an hour? A little more challenging but it can be done. Over 10 hours that is 5000 steps.

I am amazed that I am doing what I am. Is it all done at once? No, I break it down in large and small segments. An hour is a lot? Well, I've often found myself doing an hour when involved in a TV show. Does the hour have to be done at one time? No!

jvrczdhg80ve.png

• mdubbs1
    Helene--The FitBit or its colleagues may be gadgets but the reality is that when you are focused on a goal, it helps you achieve it. Can I do 250 steps in an hour? Easy! Can you do 500 steps an hour? A little more challenging but it can be done. Over 10 hours that is 5000 steps.

I am amazed that I am doing what I am. Is it all done at once? No, I break it down in large and small segments. An hour is a lot? Well, I've often found myself doing an hour when involved in a TV show. Does the hour have to be done at one time? No!

jvrczdhg80ve.png

• Helene610
    I walked 6300 steps yesterday. Once I realize I’ve walked 5000 steps, I want to better that. So I added a couple hundred more steps than the day before. Mine steps are in segments too. If I’m watching TV, I walk during the commercials. I had a poor night’s sleep again last night. We have a plumber coming today to do the finish plumbing on a shower we’ve been renovating. The tile setter finished up on Saturday. I think knowing that I had to be up early for a contractor messes with my sleep. It took a long time to fall asleep and I woke up a couple of times. I’ll be glad when this job is finished.
  • KonaKat
    Helene--Congrats upon your achievement. Yes, commercials serve more than one purpose. I am sorry that you had a bad night's sleep. Worryiing about contractors and plumbers is enough to disturb sleep.

I spent an hour pedaling while watching the Weather Channel coverage of the bad weather and the Nashville tornado.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene--Congrats upon your achievement. Yes, commercials serve more than one purpose. I am sorry that you had a bad night's sleep. Worryiing about contractors and plumbers is enough to disturb sleep.

I spent an hour pedaling while watching the Weather Channel coverage of the bad weather and the Nashville tornado.

• mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I walked 6300 steps yesterday. Once I realize I’ve walked 5000 steps, I want to better that. So I added a couple hundred more steps than the day before. Mine steps are in segments too. If I’m watching TV, I walk during the commercials. I had a poor night’s sleep again last night. We have a plumber coming today to do the finish plumbing on a shower we’ve been renovating. The tile setter finished up on Saturday. I think knowing that I had to be up early for a contractor messes with my sleep. It took a long time to fall asleep and I woke up a couple of times. I’ll be glad when this job is finished.

Working at home, most days I can just roll out of bed whenever. On the rare day when I have to be up at a certain time, I'm awake hours in advance.
  • Helene610
    I don’t know if I mentioned the shower before. We had a broken pipe last May, just before we were heading north. The leak brought down a section of the bedroom ceiling below the bathroom. The shower floor had to be broken up to replace the pipe so we decided to redo the whole shower. We started shopping for tile in January. Getting the permits was a nightmare and we had to cancel the tile and plumbing appointments a couple times while we waited for the town to process the paperwork. The end is in sight now. The plumber will will finish today and the building inspector needs to sign off on the final inspection. We have to shop for a shower door. I hope that goes smoother than everything else. DH will repair the ceiling himself. We left it open so the plumber could get to the pipes above.