2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,829 Member
    We went to doctors’ appointments and then ran errands all day yesterday. We stopped at Ruby Tuesday for lunch. I selected what I thought was a good choice. I had Cajun spiced talapia with grilled shrimp. It came with a cream sauce. The menu said it was 320 calories. I had a baked sweet potato and grilled zucchini as my sides. I gave DH half the potato. My calorie count for the day was 1134 and I walked 6000 Steps. Of course I’m up a pound today. I figured there must have been a lot more sodium in the lunch than I expected. It will probably be gone in a day or two but it was annoying to see that higher number when I’m working so hard.
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Helene, I’m sure you’re right about the sodium content in your lunch. I’ve found anything described as Cajun will almost always have a lot of sodium in it. The good news is that the gains from it usually go as quickly as they come. Drink extra water today and I’ll bet you see a big drop tomorrow.

We just got home from my friend’s funeral mass. It was very sad, and I’m glad it’s over. I counted up the time and found she had just under 10 weeks from diagnosis til she passed. I knew it went quickly, but hadn’t counted the weeks until now. Her husband told us that she insisted that a party be held in a couple of months that will be a true celebration of her life with “no funeral stuff”, so that is something to look forward to. He also told me that she insisted that she did not want to be buried wearing a wig and wanted to wear one of the hats I had knitted for her, because it was her favorite hat. I was very touched by that. I’m so glad I was able to make it for her.
  • Helene610
    What a quick time between diagnosis and her passing. Considering how much pain she was in, it’s good it was quick. That’s so touching about her being buried in the hat you made. The life celebration is something to look forward to. I went to one last summer for a friend who also died of cancer. It brought together friends she knew in various ways. She was a big animal lover and many of the people knew her because of dogs. It was at a friend’s house on a pond. People talked about the ways in which they knew here. It was such a special gathering.
  • Helene610
    I meant to say I didn’t realize that Cajun foods were salty. I went by the calorie count which was really a good number. A friend posted a lemon chicken recipe on FB a few days ago. It included capers which I know are salty. It looked delicious but I won’t be making it. I went to the recipe details to see how much sodium was in. Imagine my shock. 10,000 mg of sodium a serving. I don’t know how anyone could eat anything that salty.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,645 Member
    Helene - you did everything within your power!! You can't help salt or chef tweaks (and the latter would not surprise me).

Pam - wow, only 10 weeks! I'm like my mom. I want to go suddenly. She got her wish.

Today is day 5 of packet week. I confess I am getting a little bored. I'm used to switching up NS shelf, NS frozen, JC, supermarket shelf and frozen along with packets.

I had a little adventure this morning. Somehow my vet and I got one of Jack's "stock up" prescription called into the wrong store. Since they special ordered it, and I was feeling like a little adventure, I went and found it! Easy enough to get to but a road I'd never ever been on and thus a very large strip shopping center I'd never been to.
  • mdubbs1
    wluack3suspb.png
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Maryanne--Love the "fat" snake meme; where do you find these? Boredom can set in with the same thing everyday. Hang in there!

Pam--I am sorry about your friend but passing quickly is likely better than lingering. I remember my father's cancer death was 4 months from time of diagnosis and it was a very log 4 months.

Helene--You did your best checking out what would appear to be a good selection. The Outback's Simply Grilled tilapia has 540mg of sodium which is less than some salad dressings. You will shed that temporary weight gain quickly.
  • Helene610
    Yes, that rat makes you look fat. LOL.

I have a friend coming to visit for a couple of day. She’s never been here so I’m looking forward to seeing her. Another friend asked if she could come too. I had to tell her no. She just posted on FB that she’s been sick and she had to cancel plans to go out with friends. She’s a dear friend but I don’t want to host someone who’s sick. Her car broke down last summer and DH and I picked her up where she was stranded. She wanted to go out to dinner before we took her home. She was sick the next day with a virus which we came down with a day or two later. I don’t need a repeat of that. She took my answer better than I expected. She had lab work today and felt weak. She goes back to the doctor Tuesday.
  • mdubbs1
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Maryanne--Love the "fat" snake meme; where do you find these? Boredom can set in with the same thing everyday. Hang in there!

Pam--I am sorry about your friend but passing quickly is likely better than lingering. I remember my father's cancer death was 4 months from time of diagnosis and it was a very log 4 months.

Helene--You did your best checking out what would appear to be a good selection. The Outback's Simply Grilled tilapia has 540mg of sodium which is less than some salad dressings. You will shed that temporary weight gain quickly.

https://icanhas.cheezburger.com/
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Yes, that rat makes you look fat. LOL.

I have a friend coming to visit for a couple of day. She’s never been here so I’m looking forward to seeing her. Another friend asked if she could come too. I had to tell her no. She just posted on FB that she’s been sick and she had to cancel plans to go out with friends. She’s a dear friend but I don’t want to host someone who’s sick. Her car broke down last summer and DH and I picked her up where she was stranded. She wanted to go out to dinner before we took her home. She was sick the next day with a virus which we came down with a day or two later. I don’t need a repeat of that. She took my answer better than I expected. She had lab work today and felt weak. She goes back to the doctor Tuesday.

Certainly everyone knows now to stay home if they're sick.

Everything is going on pretty normally around here at this point. I'm hoping we get in the cat show next weekend.
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--Common sense should tell people to stay home at this time of caution but is the virus active before the person realizes they might have symptoms? If they have definite symptoms at any time of flu, or any other bug, then they should stay home. I do hope you can get in the cat show.

I loved the meme showing Spock's Live Long and Prosper greeting as the new way to shake hands.

• KonaKat
    I've been watching Colombo on Hallmark movies and Mysteries. It is amazing how well written and acted series were years ago. They are classics that survive the time.

I'll give you one guess what I was doing while watching. I guess I now have to get to work in the house.
  • Helene610
    Half of my Cajun weight gain is gone today. Here’s hoping the rest of it leaves tomorrow. My friend is coming to visit Sunday night through Tuesday lunch. I would have liked an extra day with her but she driving down the coast to see her brother when she leaves here. I’ll have to watch my eating while she’s here.
  • Helene610
    I was just going back to edit my post. I was looking for the edit thingy and I accidentally tapped on the bottom corner of one of Jean’s posts. And guess what. It filled in and I could read it. So I tried it on the one above it and same results. Could it be that simple? So I don’t need these two quoted. I’ll let you know if it continues to work.
  • mdubbs1
    Maryanne--Common sense should tell people to stay home at this time of caution but is the virus active before the person realizes they might have symptoms? If they have definite symptoms at any time of flu, or any other bug, then they should stay home. I do hope you can get in the cat show.

I loved the meme showing Spock's Live Long and Prosper greeting as the new way to shake hands.

I've decided we're not doing the cat show. One of the older volunteers told me last evening that she's being sent to a cardiologist. Two of the rest of us also see a cardiologist. This is a small show and I decided it would be irresponsible of me to go forward. Even though all the volunteers were willing to go they are sounding amazingly relieved as I call to tell them we're not doing it. The upside is I'll basically get 4 more days this week to get things done and since I'm drowning right now, that's no small thing!
  • mdubbs1
    I've been watching Colombo on Hallmark movies and Mysteries. It is amazing how well written and acted series were years ago. They are classics that survive the time.

I'll give you one guess what I was doing while watching. I guess I now have to get to work in the house.

Exercising? I always liked Colombo but haven't seen it in years.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I was just going back to edit my post. I was looking for the edit thingy and I accidentally tapped on the bottom corner of one of Jean’s posts. And guess what. It filled in and I could read it. So I tried it on the one above it and same results. Could it be that simple? So I don’t need these two quoted. I’ll let you know if it continues to work.

Wouldn't that be something?
  • Helene610
    It certainly would be considering its months since I was able to see Jean’s posts. They appear grayed out. But tapping the corner seems to work.
  • KonaKat
    Helene--So glad that you were able to find the way that you can now read my posts. Also, it is good that the sodium weight gain is on it ways out. I am sure you will manage when the friend visits.

Maryanne--With the cancellation of the show, you have a gift of time to do other things. I think Colombo is on early every Saturday morning on Hallmark movies and mysteries.

With Helene's success in finding a way to read my posts, perhaps I can find the edit button that disappeared late last year from my posts. No immediate editing is possible or any editing.
  • KonaKat
    Now, this is funny! I clicked on the date and the edit button showed up.