2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    It looks like we will have to abandon our plan to take a drive to see wildflowers because a shelter in place order is set to be announced later today. I don’t really see how a drive could be harmful to us or anyone else as we would stay in our car, but according to the rules we are only allowed essential trips to get food or medicines, etc., however, it is ok to be outside for walking or other exercise as long as 6’ spacing is maintained. I don’t see much difference in taking a walk vs a drive for recreational purposes, but I wouldn’t want to get fined for taking a drive.

DH seems to have decided, as I suspected all along, that his symptoms are allergy related. I’m also experiencing some allergy-type symptoms and I keep reminding myself that this is not new for me. One study I read said that British otolaryngologists have discovered that an early symptom of the virus is a loss of the senses of smell and taste, so as long as I don’t lose those I will not worry.

Some friends and I have decided to do a virtual happy hour later this week using the Zoom app. It works much like FaceTime, but apparently is better for group chats. It’s free, so we will give it a try. We were texting Sunday night and I got very frustrated because I was receiving their texts out of order and often delayed by a significant amount of time. By the time I could comment or respond to what I thought we were discussing, the conversation had moved on so my responses made no sense to the others, and theirs weren’t making sense to me. Hopefully a video chat won’t have the same issue.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    Pam - I have the same thoughts as you on driving. Should we get a shelter in place order we will definitely have to break it to feed the colonies. I think we could go to less than every day to get all of us through this but I know that won't go over well with the others. So far they have just closed non essential businesses.
  • Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    Maybe the lawyers are helping people write wills or staving off foreclosures? I haven’t felt like I have a temp but I realized I have no way to know for sure. So far, I fell 100% normal. The animal shelters are open here. I guess they are considered essential. I certainly think they are.
  • mdubbs1
    Truer words were never spoken:

"There is no empathy inside this broken man — nor in his feeble response to this disaster."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/23/president-with-no-empathy-exploits-coronavirus-crisis/
  • mdubbs1
    I'm guessing DH has numerous thermometers.

I suddenly thought to look at Office Depot and Staples for stuff and got a case of kleenex from staples.

DH is now talking about turning in a 2-week notice to protect me. His boss suggested he leave the office before the others arrive. A perfectly rational solution since he's there mostly by himself. The big bosses are working from home while the lab employees obviously cannot. That's outrageous.
  • mdubbs1
    NY Times:

Do you think we’d be in a different place now if we had a different president?

Bret: Hmm, lemme think …

Yes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/opinion/coronavirus-trump.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage
  • mdubbs1
    msc6ljofn6mc.png
  • mdubbs1
    pry17z5cbamu.png
  • mdubbs1
    l9ac08lnbbgp.png
  • mdubbs1
    The 2 owners of my company got on our bi-weekly conference call today with reassurances that (1) they expect us to be busy and (2) we'll get paid even if they have to pay their mortgages with their credit cards.

In contract, DH had a boss call where he said his boss sounded completely incoherent.
  • mdubbs1
    sbhmnntajirw.png
  • mdubbs1
    b3o3a8ew4xu9.png
  • mdubbs1
    simh7o9c6ugn.png
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    Great memes, Maryanne! Sounds like your DH’s employers are clueless and insensitive while yours at least appear to value their employees enough to make sacrifices for them if it come to that.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Maryanne--We are up to 39 cases now, almost doubling overnight. The majority of the new ones were found in a nursing home with both patients and staff having it.

Pam--Unless things get worse, we could go for a drive as long as we don't get out of the car. How else would we get any needed groceries or food?

The virus doesn't avoid royalty: Prince Charles has tested positive for the virus.
  • mdubbs1
    In one state, I think Colorado maybe? They have ordered everyone over 65 to stay home and have their neighbors do their grocery shopping. Say what?????

I agree - going for a drive as long as you aren't going somewhere there are people is just as safe as staying inside. Me feeding my colonies is just as safe as staying inside. These colonies aren't anywhere there are people.
  • mdubbs1
    The Easter Dummy:

7zy52x1hhpxh.png
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Maryanne--I want to do my own grocery shopping, unless I was disabled and age is not necessarily a disability. I love the Easter meme! Our governor and he are big buddies. I sometimes would like to ask, since our gov owns the Greenbrier, if he plans to reopen what used to be the secret bunker for protection of national government.

In a question during an interview, one reporter asked him what he thought about the president wanting the country back in action by Easter. He just grinned and said, "It is always good to be optimistic." He is good at not giving straight answers but you could tell by the expression on his face what he thought about it.
  • Helene610
    And he’d love to have the churches packed. The sad thing is his most loyal supporters will believe these are actually rational possibilities. The only changes we’ll see by Easter is that people will still be get sick and some of them will die. He also said lots of people die from the flu and we don’t close the country for that. How insulting to families who have lost members to either disease.

I sent Easter candy to family with children in NJ and CA. I had received an email from our favorite candy company in CT. They were offering free shipping and I figured nobody would be shopping for candy. A chocolate rabbit and jelly beans don’t fix things but if you’re 7,8 or 10, it might give them a bit of being a kid again.
  • Helene610
    I had one of my best days yesterday. I walked 10,000 steps for the first time. I reached 7500 by dinner time and thought I could do more. So I kept walking during commercials. At 9000, I realized I could push for that last 1000 steps. I thought it would take me a couple of months to get there. Nobody was more surprised than me that I did it yesterday. When I weighed in, I had made my first Noom goal. I was actually fourth tenths under the goal. I’ve lost 29 pounds since last May.