2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I’m getting daily emails from many of the restaurants in our area offering really good deals on takeout meals. Several are even offering free delivery, as well as half price on bottles of wine. We haven’t yet taken advantage of any of the offers, but as this goes on I think we might do it at least once a week. We typically only go out for dinner once a week under normal circumstances, so that would be a nice way to support our favorite restaurants and not have to cook.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Helene--There are no "sit down" service here. We just have the one restaurant providing carryout service and the hours have been cut. How long will it be? I just read a thing on a CNBC blog where the UK is preparing for six months.
    vquyy61kubb4.png

• mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited March 2020
    I suspect we will one day, if we live, think of it as the "before times".

Somewhere along the way, the federal government forgot that it's primary purpose is to protect and support the citizenry, not to the almighty dollar. Money corrupts and big money corrupts absolutely. I was reading an article about all the lobbyists whose interest would not have been served by the government dealing with this when they should have. Add that to a president totally lacking in empathy and you have what is shaping up to be the disaster of the century.
  • mdubbs1
    I lost 2 pounds last week. SUCH a change from the usual week after my birthday. Occasionally I remind myself that all that's going on is not an excuse to just let go because if my weight isn't under control, my blood pressure isn't under control, my heart issues might return and that could be deadly should I get this virus.

tyri3mt0tkpt.png
  • mdubbs1
    edited March 2020
    I'm just finishing up season 5 of my 600-lb life. Dr. Now tells them to eat protein and 1200 calories and hands them all sort of papers. And then you see them taking a salad and pouring on half a bottle of dressing. I can't help wondering why he doesn't insist they log their food. None of them work so I don't know why they couldn't do that. I'm guessing the reason they don't put them on something like a liquid diet is many of them couldn't afford that. I've been reading about the lawsuits some of them have filed recently and apparently, contrary to what many people thought, they get almost no money and, although Dr. Now provides his services free, no other medical care is free and some of them say they ended up with 20 or 30,000 in medical bills. All the lawsuits have been filed by the same attorney.

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    I realize how lucky we are to be on this island. We so so many choices of restaurant takeouts and none of them are fast food places. One very fancy restaurant is even offering takeout. My former choir director performs there 6 nights a week so he’s obviously out of work. I feel for him. I’ll have to go online to see what’s on their menu.

Sanibel is taking a very strong approach to the virus. At first, they lengthened the amount of time people in hotels, etc. had to stay. They mandated a minimum stay of seven days to cut down on shot term tourists looking for a “fun place” to wait out Covid 19.A couple of days later, they rethought their position. Now they have shut down all rentals for 28 day. Anyone already hear can stay but there are no new rentals for four weeks. The reasoning is we have an older, at risk population. It will be hard on all the affected businesses but it’s about keeping everyone safe. I mentioned that 2 people from the island tested positive. We don’t have any details so I don’t know if they are still here or where they live. I assume they are hear isolating themselves.

I’m watching Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest doing their morning show from their homes. All the guests are at their own homes too. One of today’s guests is Kelly’s hairdresser. He’s going to be showing how you can maintain your roots at home while waiting for the hair salons to reopen. I called my SIL and left a message for her about it. We were talking last night about hair and she said I was so smart that I let my hair go gray years ago. She’s been coloring for 10 years and said the roots are looking ugly. If you’re in the boat, you can probably replay the show at their website.
  • mdubbs1
    I've been coloring my hair for probably 30 years. My hairdresser says I'm completely grey. We may be finding out.
  • mdubbs1
    Day 28

The humans keep insisting on something called social distance.

Or as we call it “normal”

fn7s350rb8u5.png
  • mdubbs1
    Parents can't get their kids to stay home and not drive away? Repeatedly, apparently.

Hmmm, maybe take their car keys?

I'm just trying to picture my parents letting me break such an important rule. It does not compute.

Other parents letting their kids throw slumber parties is equally ridiculous.
  • Helene610
    I haven’t seen any coverage about those things. Unfortunately, it’s going to take a tragedy to make noncompliant parents and kids to take this seriously. I’ve seen coverage of two kids who went to beaches for spring break. They were saying it was no big deal and if they got it, so what. Both got the virus and are apologizing for their stupidity and urging other kids to be smarter. Let’s hope comments like theirs make a difference.
  • KonaKat
    I went to the city today for my MRI. In addition to the grilling over the phone Saturday, I was questionned again today before being permitted to take the test. Afterwards, I came home and shopped for some groceries and necessities. I think I could stay inside for a month, except for a run to the drug store or to the Post Office once a week to get my mail.
  • Helene610
    I just finished today’s 10,000 steps. I was tired yesterday and gave myself a break. I walked 8000 and was fine with that. I also didn’t put as much time into walking Sunday because I caught up on family phone calls to see how everyone is holding up. My nephew is feeling better. He still has a cough but not as deep. He probably had the virus but wasn’t able to to get a test. When things get back to normal, he wants to be tested for antibodies. I saw a tough story on the news today. A 50 year old man in NJ is in critical condition in ICU and they are trying to get approval for him to get plasma from someone who has recovered from the disease. The theory is their antibodies would strengthen his immune system to fight off the virus. I pray he gets approved and that someone in his area donates plasma.
  • mdubbs1
    I believe Hopkins is working on the antibodies idea as well.

We now have a stay at home order but it makes no distinction by age and has an exception for caring for livestock or pets at another location. Gives me hope that at least for now we can continue to feed the colonies.
  • KonaKat
    Maryanne--I had read about your stay at home plus the possible fine of a year in jail and up to $5,000 fine. I wondered if an exemption was available for the care of the animals. I am thoroughly saturated each day with the governors of our state, Ohio and Kentucky press conference.f

Helene--I don't live close to my other family members, so since the accident late last summer, we all have a practice of sending texts in both morning and night so we know how we re doing. That accident was an early wake up call to the need to check in frequently.

I haven't done well with the steps so far this week. I was tired Sunday and wanted to take a break, and then yesterday, I had to go to the city for the MRI test. People were sitting in cars waiting for people to complete their appointments, and when I entered a security guard askedf me several screening questions. Then when I checked it at the outpatient desk, I was asked them again...and then when the technician called for me, I was asked again.

I have started my steps for the day and have over 2,000 in. I'm doing odds and ends around the house. I think I have enough food to do me and Midnight for a month. I will have to go out mid-week to the Post Office and to the drugstore whenever they call me. In the meantime, I am just waiting to hear the results of the MRI.
  • Helene610
    I just did our census info online. We never got a mailing because we don’t get mail at our Cape home because we don’t have a mailbox. We get ours at our post office box. I wasn’t sure if I could do it without a code number from the mailing but on category was I didn’t get a mailing. I checked that box and was able to go in and enter our information.
  • Helene610
    I got my Fitbit stats for last week. I got really serious about my efforts a couple of weeks ago. Last week, I walked 67,633 steps for an average of 9,662 steps. The most impressive stat was I walked 32,876 steps more than the previous week. Wow!
  • mdubbs1
    I made DH do the census. He insisted I be standing by. Too funny!!
  • Helene610
    Why? He didn’t know your birth date or origin? It couldn’t have been easier.
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    Why? He didn’t know your birth date or origin? It couldn’t have been easier.

You know that, and I know that......
  • mdubbs1
    Helene610 wrote: »
    I got my Fitbit stats for last week. I got really serious about my efforts a couple of weeks ago. Last week, I walked 67,633 steps for an average of 9,662 steps. The most impressive stat was I walked 32,876 steps more than the previous week. Wow!

27dmc93vnyy0.png