2020: One Day At A Time, We Will Achieve!!

Replies

• Helene610
    Helene610 Posts: 2,830 Member
    I know what you mean Pam. I’ve been checking my temperature the last few days and it’s been running between 97.4 and 97.8. Later in the day, it was 98.2. I tend to run low when I come down with something. Overall, I feel okay but I’m taking Tylenol and extra fluids to be on the safe side. I watched a video from CNN last night by Chris Cuomo. He was describing what he experienced with Covid 19. He included advice a pulmonologist gave him about what you should do to fight it. The worst thing you can do is lie in bed all day. It gives the virus more chance to get deeper in your lungs. Look for the video. I thought it had great advice if you do get sick.
  • KonaKat
    KonaKat Posts: 3,411 Member
    Pam--Great news! Keep monitoring! We don't want you suffering this alien experience:
    e6acfpq8j2xy.png

• Helene610
    I meant to say every time I have a stray cough or a sneeze, I wonder if I,ve been exposed. It’s a bit paranoid but that’s the kind of things that go through your mind. We’ve been wearing masks when we go to the market or post office. If I have a stray cough during one of these trips, I wonder if people think I have it. It’s a strange way to live.

On yesterday’s trip, we took a ride down to Captiva just so we could get a view of the ocean. There’s a stretch of road that runs parallel to the ocean. I believe the beach there is private for the homes, condos and hotels across the street. There were about a dozen people sitting under beach umbrella but they were spaced widely apart. There’s no place to park so that’s why I think they were residents. All the beaches on Sanibel are closed but Captiva is a separate town. We didn’t stop anywhere but we enjoyed the safety of the chance of scenery from the safety of our vehicle.
  • Helene610
    KonaKat wrote: »
    Pam--Great news! Keep monitoring! We don't want you suffering this alien experience:
    e6acfpq8j2xy.png
    Every time I go out wearing a mask, I feel like an alien. I stepped back yesterday to allow the woman parked next to us at the market get out of her car. She thanked me and I told her I was smiling under my mask. I said I should draw a smile on the mask and she thought that was a great idea.
  • mdubbs1
    mdubbs1 Posts: 6,646 Member
    PamS53 wrote: »
    Today my temperature is back to normal and I feel fine. No symptoms of any kind. I’ll keep monitoring my temperature. Our pollen counts are very high right now so it might have been allergy related. My SIL, who is an RN, thought possibly a 24 hour bug of some kind, though I can’t imagine where I would have gotten that since I haven’t been in contact with anyone but DH in the last 2 weeks. Who knows? I’m just glad to be feeling better today.

That is such good news!!!!
  • mdubbs1
    Scary, from the Baltimore Sun:

Maryland public schools must be prepared to continue teaching classes online into the fall and winter if the spread of the coronavirus continues or makes a resurgence, the state’s top education official said Wednesday.

I don't know how this works. I meet a lot of the public at our fund raising events. I know many homes don't have computers. A lot of folks rely on the computer at the work or at the library which may be inaccessible. So how do their kids learn online?

Not to mention how many children will go hungry without the free meals at school.

Two things I think must be protected - children and animals. When will we start?
  • mdubbs1
    I commented to DH that ordering groceries was already getting harder and harder. To which his response was along the lines of "don't we have enough stuff? we'll make do"

Really?

This from the man who had me running to 3 or 4 stores every week to get his list.

• mdubbs1
    The new eagle dad in Decorah is just piling up the next with fish. What a guy!
  • Helene610
    In FL, they are delivering bagged lunches to various locations. The parents drive up and organizations are giving them the meals. It’s great to see how the people are taking care of the children. Some groups distributed sidewalk chalk in their neighborhoods so the kids could draw on drive walks and sidewalks. A lot of the messages were of gratitude for the medical staff and other workers. Some teachers did car parades through their students’ neighborhoods so they could wave and show support.

The animal shelters have pretty much emptied out with a foster an animal program. They expect a large percentage of families will become attached and decide to adopt. So they are doing a good job covering Maryanne’s priorities.
  • mdubbs1
    Adoptions are way up BUT the worry wart in me wonders how many people will keep the animals. They're adopting them because they're home but if they didn't have time for an animal before....

I also cringe whenever I think that vets aren't allowed to do spay/neuter.
  • mdubbs1
    lfcxwfbi2yme.png
  • mdubbs1
    dh4cc02muc2e.png
  • mdubbs1
    1tr3begk6yw3.png
  • mdubbs1
    7mx4ezcu60bo.png
  • mdubbs1
    Main St in the tiny town I grew up in. Horse and buggy days. At the general stores (there were 2 in my day).

7bph12bzgwke.png

• PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    From the BBC – by John Cleese -- March 17, 2020

ANNOUNCEMENT

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent virus threat and have therefore raised their threat level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, level may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.” The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in
    1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out. The virus has been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.” The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let's Get the *kitten*.” They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent
    fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.” The Germans have increased their
    alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels: “Invade a Neighbor” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its alert level from “No worries” to “She'll be alright, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far, no situation has ever warranted use of the final
    escalation level.

The Russians have said “It’s not us.”
  • mdubbs1
    Pam - that's a great article!
  • PamS53
    PamS53 Posts: 1,935 Member
    I just saw that this website changed the word b a s t a r d s to kitten in the section about the Scottish reaction, lol. Not quite the same, IMO.
  • mdubbs1
    PamS53 wrote: »
    I just saw that this website changed the word b a s t a r d s to kitten in the section about the Scottish reaction, lol. Not quite the same, IMO.

People are dying all around us but we can't use certain words. Go figure.

Baltimore is supposed to be one of the next hot spots. City dwellers just have so many strikes against them in this.