Downsizers - October 2020 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Yesterday went pretty well. Did 10 minutes of ab exercises, as I tried to do it first thing in the morning, and found I don't have that much motivation that early to do such things. But they're a bit sore, and a tiny bit is better than nothing. Today I'll be doing C25K W2D1. Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

I completed W1D3 today. I have been a little sore lately in my quads and hips. I feel really tight and thing I might add some stretching or yoga on my off days.

How are you feeling? Any aches or pains? My knees are also hurting but know more than usual
  • azkunk
    Options
    Question about activity level ...,

When do you know it’s time to change your level? I have been wondering if my calories are too low and if that is the reason I am stalled. My level is set to not active and my goal is 1200 cals for a 1.5 lb/wk goal. I changed it to lightly active today and it bumped the goal up to 1280. That’s not much of a change but on average, I eat less than 1200 and sometimes even less than 1000 (I know that’s bad).

So, how do you know what level of activity to choose? I have increased my steps from <5K per day to just over 8K/day on average for the last 2 months. I have been doing a minimum of one 30-min walk per day x 30 days and now started the C25K program. Do you base it on steps or workouts? How do know when it’s time to up your level in the settings?
  • GottaDUMPmyRUMP
    GottaDUMPmyRUMP Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Well done overall! Do you shut your kitchen down at a certain time?

Linda, I have two teens, so this kitchen is 24/7!! LOL :D Much like your visiting granddaughters...the kids always want to eat, makes for some difficult fasting. But yes, I am trying to stop eating after dinner, to stay within my IF eating window.
  • eaturpasta
    eaturpasta Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Monday & Tuesday check in's.

drank water ...yes for both days
    7500 steps... yes Monday, not Tues ..only 6424 but did an Insanity video for 25 min..and phew!

Close rings every day... yes for both

October Goals
    LTG 155.0
    Lose 1lb/week
    Drink 90 ounces of water daily
    7,500 steps/day
    Close rings every day this month

I would love new friends to help me on this journey. Please add me so we can help each other.
  • GottaDUMPmyRUMP
    edited October 2020
    Options

#2 I have an activity Conversion Chart on my phone ..So if you are counting steps and want me to convert activities that are not easily measured by a pedometer ...please add your activity and the minutes of said activity..Ex, Bicycling (leisurely 10-11.9) would give you 100 steps/minute (Average). ....

Oh, I never thought to convert my spinning into steps... I'll go with the moderate 200 steps a minute, bc I do intervals, hills, Tabata, climbs and HIIT, so there's some moderate moments of recovery times.

I did a 34 minutes of spinning this morning (+6,800) and 52 minutes yesterday (+ 10,400 steps), 63 minutes on Monday for 12,600 more (I am slowing down each day, HA!).

• Kitty2Katz
    Kitty2Katz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm having a procedure done tomorrow and had to have the Covid-19 test done before they would do it. Happy to report a negative result. Nice to know I don't have covid-19. 😃
  • darleenturner
    darleenturner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    azkunk wrote: »
    I am honestly confused with MFP. They are giving me credit for exercise and taking it away. Does this happen to anyone?

sgff3pl3ymbl.jpeg

I have a Garmin vivosmart 4 and when it transfers data over to MFP it doesn't add the calories gained
  • darleenturner
    darleenturner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Tazaria87 wrote: »
    Daily Post October 6
    Tracked Yes
    Under Calorie Yes
    Water 128oz
    Steps 9654
    Exercise 60 min walk with stroller

After taking my son to preschool, my daughter and I went for a walk, her in the stroller. It's a little too hot out for October I think. It's been in the 80s so far all week. I'd like the slightly cooler weather to come back now. Pushing her up the final hill to get home is getting a little bit easier the more I do it. My sister in law is scheduled to have her baby on the 28th of this month, getting pretty excited about that. My great Uncle and Aunt have both gotten Covid and are sick. She's doing ok with it but my Uncle has been hospitalized. The first day was a little scary but now he's showing slight signs of improvement.
    Today we are going grocery shopping instead of Friday because it's a busy weekend for us. I'm hoping to also get a walk in while my son is at school.

my husband and I had it in March and was really ill for 4 weeks. Took me a few months to get back on my feet. My prayers are with your uncle and aunt for a speedy recovery
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,904 Member
    Options

#2 I have an activity Conversion Chart on my phone ..So if you are counting steps and want me to convert activities that are not easily measured by a pedometer ...please add your activity and the minutes of said activity..Ex, Bicycling (leisurely 10-11.9) would give you 100 steps/minute (Average). ....

Oh, I never thought to convert my spinning into steps... I'll go with the moderate 200 steps a minute, bc I do intervals, hills, Tabata, climbs and HIIT, so there's some moderate moments of recovery times.

I did a 34 minutes of spinning this morning (+6,800) and 52 minutes yesterday (+ 10,400 steps), 63 minutes on Monday for 12,600 more (I am slowing down each day, HA!).

This is what I got for your steps after adding your spinning in....24,849 Monday...18,529 Tuesday and 25,367 Wednesday ....Well done :)
  • GottaDUMPmyRUMP
    edited October 2020
    Options

This is what I got for your steps after adding your spinning in....24,849 Monday...18,529 Tuesday and 25,367 Wednesday ....Well done :)

Hi Megan, thank you @Megan_smartiepants1970 I'm sorry to drive ya nuts.... Sunday I didn't spin, so the new numbers are just for Monday & Tuesday ...I'm still moving today (although not much more). I'll add them in myself from now on---promise! :D:)

Sun 10/4: 12,249
    Mon 10/5: 8,129 + 12,600 (spinning) = 20,729
    Tues 10/6: 18,567 + 10,400 (spinning) = 28,967
    Wed. 10/7: 6,800 (spinning) + ?? = ??
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options

Hi Megan, thank you @Megan_smartiepants1970 I'm sorry to drive ya nuts.... Sunday I didn't spin, so the new numbers are just for Monday & Tuesday ...I'm still moving today (although not much more). I'll add them in myself from now on---promise! :D:)

Sun 10/4: 12,249
    Mon 10/5: 8,129 + 12,600 (spinning) = 20,729
    Tues 10/6: 18,567 + 10,400 (spinning) = 28,967
    Wed. 10/7: 6,800 (spinning) + ?? = ??

I corrected it ... I said the days wrong earlier :p
  • shortyjmorgan1
    shortyjmorgan1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Tried to fast today but didn't succeed. I do okay up until dinner. Once I start cooking for everyone I start getting hungry. Going to keep working on it.
    Logged everything
    Ab challenge done
    Did okay on water
    Steps 6433

No steps for the 4th and 5th correct?

Correct
  • shortyjmorgan1
    shortyjmorgan1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So today I was able to run for 2 minutes without the knees going out so that was a huge accomplishment.
    Ab challenge done
    Logged everything
    Not so great on the water today
    Steps-10384
  • ScorpioGirl70
    ScorpioGirl70 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the exercise conversion chart

https://www.arhs-nc.org/live-healthy/data/StepConversionChart.pdf

Thank you! So if I am reading this correctly, biking for instance can count as steps?
  • ScorpioGirl70
    ScorpioGirl70 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    10/7/2020
    ScorpioGirl70
    Weigh In Day: Friday

Steps: 1529
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    Here is the link to the exercise conversion chart

https://www.arhs-nc.org/live-healthy/data/StepConversionChart.pdf

Thank you! So if I am reading this correctly, biking for instance can count as steps?

Yes that is correct ... either you can convert it or I can...you just put the activity and minutes :)
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,513 Member
    Options
    Kitty2Katz wrote: »
    Sorry, I've been absent the last few days. Started to feel better after reinjuring my left knee, and a few other health problems. I still can't do much walking yet.
    But here are some goals for the rest of this week and next week

Goals for week:
    1. Log in my dairy daily (except on rest day)
    1. Walk 5 minutes at least 5 xs a day. (When knees better)
    2. No eating after 7 p.m
    3. 72 oz of water daily.
    4.Say at least 2 good and positive things about myself every day. (Sometimes my thoughts and words are self negative)

I am glad you are starting to feel better. I love your goals. I am doing the same thing with the walking. I got the idea from @cesse47

GOALS: Tuesday, Oct. 6

🏃🏻‍♀️Workout: YES
    💦 Water: YES
    🍽 Food: YES
    😴Sleep: YES

STEPS
    Tues 10/6: 18,567

All goals met! Amazing day!

Good Morning/Afternoon Everyone... Happy Hump Day ......I hope everyone is doing great :) ....I am a bit sore today from doing my 5 mile walk with Leslie Sansone yesterday...Meal Prepping and standing in front of the TV last night and stepping while I watched TV... I ended up with 23,470 steps ...I would like to challenge myself to get 20,000 steps a day :)

You must have steps for awhile while watching tv! Well done!

Daily Post October 6
    Tracked Yes
    Under Calorie Yes
    Water 128oz
    Steps 9654

After taking my son to preschool, my daughter and I went for a walk, her in the stroller. It's a little too hot out for October I think. It's been in the 80s so far all week. I'd like the slightly cooler weather to come back now. Pushing her up the final hill to get home is getting a little bit easier the more I do it. My sister in law is scheduled to have her baby on the 28th of this month, getting pretty excited about that. My great Uncle and Aunt have both gotten Covid and are sick. She's doing ok with it but my Uncle has been hospitalized. The first day was a little scary but now he's showing slight signs of improvement.
    Today we are going grocery shopping instead of Friday because it's a busy weekend for us. I'm hoping to also get a walk in while my son is at school.

Another stellar day! I hope your relatives recover. It is a tough virus. My mom had it in March. She was in hospital for awhile. My Mom is a tough old bird so I hope your uncle is the same.

He's 87 years old, but generally pretty healthy. He status changes every day. Today he's not doing as well but I don't know the details yet.
    Just coming in for another update to state that I put on a pair of jeans capris today that I haven't been able to wear in over 3 years! I love being able to get back into some of my favorite clothes. It's a big motivator!

I will send a few prayers and some positive thoughts for your uncle. What a great NSV!

Z10Rtza wrote: »
    Yesterday I only did 7.667 steps but today I'm giving it all!!
    I have been walking a lot + I went to the gym and I did a bit of everything. I was feeling unstoppable.
    I've realised that since I'm sleeping with the CPAP I have pain in my lungs but I have much more energy 😁

You need to get the lung thing checked out. Could you please bottle some of that energy and send it my way. Great job on your day!

Check in for 10/6:

Steps: 7967
    Calories: 1113 (87 remaining)
    Water: 92oz
    C25K: rest day (2 of 3 complete for week)
    Ring Streak: 30 days all rings closed

Still don’t know the answer to the watch negative calorie adjustment but I don’t tend to eat my calories back so I will just ignore it for now.

Did you look and see in your settings If you have negative calorie adjustment selected. Also the 2 things you are syncing are they providing the same data?
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,513 Member
    Options
    Question about activity level ...,

When do you know it’s time to change your level? I have been wondering if my calories are too low and if that is the reason I am stalled. My level is set to not active and my goal is 1200 cals for a 1.5 lb/wk goal. I changed it to lightly active today and it bumped the goal up to 1280. That’s not much of a change but on average, I eat less than 1200 and sometimes even less than 1000 (I know that’s bad).

So, how do you know what level of activity to choose? I have increased my steps from <5K per day to just over 8K/day on average for the last 2 months. I have been doing a minimum of one 30-min walk per day x 30 days and now started the C25K program. Do you base it on steps or workouts? How do know when it’s time to up your level in the settings?

The activity level is based on your daily non exercise. If you are walking 8k a day but most of that is from your walking and workouts I would stick with not active. Yesterday I didn’t walk at all and I got just over 3k steps. That is average for me on my non walking days. The rest of the week my steps varied from 6200 to 7600 steps. Most of those extra steps from walking intentionally. I have my activity level set at not active. My Fitbit calorie adjustment gives me any extra calories on the higher activity days. My calorie adjustment varied from 21 on my lowest activity day to 194 on the day I had 7,623.

eaturpasta wrote: »
    Monday & Tuesday check in's.

drank water ...yes for both days
    7500 steps... yes Monday, not Tues ..only 6424 but did an Insanity video for 25 min..and phew!

Close rings every day... yes for both

October Goals
    LTG 155.0
    Lose 1lb/week
    Drink 90 ounces of water daily
    7,500 steps/day
    Close rings every day this month

I would love new friends to help me on this journey. Please add me so we can help each other.

Keep up the good work! Focus on those goals and you will be meeting that 1 pound a week.

Your steps are going to be amazing! Those spinning workouts are tough so you deserve credit for them.

Kitty2Katz wrote: »
    I'm having a procedure done tomorrow and had to have the Covid-19 test done before they would do it. Happy to report a negative result. Nice to know I don't have covid-19. 😃

That is great! It’s a nasty virus.

Daily Post October 6
    Tracked Yes
    Under Calorie Yes
    Water 128oz
    Steps 9654

my husband and I had it in March and was really ill for 4 weeks. Took me a few months to get back on my feet. My prayers are with your uncle and aunt for a speedy recovery

I am so happy you guys recovered.

So today I was able to run for 2 minutes without the knees going out so that was a huge accomplishment.
    Ab challenge done
    Logged everything
    Not so great on the water today
    Steps-10384

Well done! What is involved in your ab challenge?
  • azkunk
    Options
    Check in for 10/6:
    Steps: 7967
    Calories: 1113 (87 remaining)
    Water: 92oz
    C25K: rest day (2 of 3 complete for week)
    Ring Streak: 30 days all rings closed

Still don’t know the answer to the watch negative calorie adjustment but I don’t tend to eat my calories back so I will just ignore it for now.

Did you look and see in your settings If you have negative calorie adjustment selected. Also the 2 things you are syncing are they providing the same data?

It’s different everyday and doesn’t usually match. There doesn’t seem to be any consistency in how it records. My activity though is very consistent. I would disconnect the watch from MFP but I can’t find it in the MFP settings. I only see the health app. I need to keep the health app because it is more than just the steps. For now, I increased the activity to lightly active and will ignore the extra calories. I will do more research on how the negative adjustments
This discussion has been closed.