Santa Sprint 2020 Challenge

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
There's a statistic that's always going around that something like 25% of people will gain weight between Halloween and New Year's. It's Holiday season. In 2020. The MONSTER of years. We're busy with work and school (regular or virtual). With all the stress and uncertainty it's easy to just say to heck with it and cave. And wake up on New Year's Day and looking in the mirror, unhappy with what extra weight we've gained. It happens to the best of us.

Last month we focused on the basics in an effort to avoid gaining during a hectic time of year. But many of us managed to hit our goals and not gain. Some of us even lost a few pounds, and/or gained insight into our own patterns when faced with pressure.

Planning ahead and keeping an eye on the basics are two of the most important focal points if we want to keep on the up and up in the face of all the junk and goodies rampant this time of year.

This month there's lots more treats around. And maybe some more stress. This month we are again going to focus on the low-carb basics. Yes, again. :lol: They really are so important to success. And keeping tabs on them reinforces good habits that will serve us through our weight loss journeys and beyond into Maintenance Land.

We are going hardcore and going to sprint for 31 days! We'll be Nose-to-the-grindstone, pre-planning, LC bada$$es!
x69c43gbdy8r.jpg

Some people choose to handle this time of year completely on-plan, supplementing low-carb recipes for all our bad-ol' favorites.

This may not be realistic for some. After all, there are many temptations in our faces this month. And a lot of celebrations. What I have done in the past was pick 1 or 2 events that were most important, enjoy them that day, and the next day was immediately back on track. No guilt, but no excuses. Every other time, I planned ahead. Eat before going to a carby event or bring plan-approved goodies. I actually lost weight in December of 2014. It can be done. Every other year I have easily maintained.

You can pick either strategy, but in this challenge monitoring our plan Basics and becoming a Master Planner are what makes the difference.

Consistency + Persistence + Time = Success

I really can't parrot that cliché formula enough. Because it's true.

Any low-carb plan is welcome. Just post your monthly goals and/or beginning weight, or if you are just planning to maintain through the month, or have NSVs to achieve, check-in daily or weekly with how well you did.

The Basics:
Planning ahead!!!
Staying under carbs
Staying under calories
Logging and measuring
Getting in exercise/movement if that's one of your goals
Keeping an eye on electrolyte levels
Getting enough water
Planning ahead!!! Oh, wait. I said that already? Yes, I frickin' did. Because this is the holidays! You must!

Share recipes, problems, thoughts.
So tie your sneakers tightly folks and prepare to own the Santa Sprint!
We are DETERMINED to maintain, and maybe even lose, this year.
We are DETERMINED to not let December run rough-shod over us, right?
We CAN do this.
2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif2xam6brugx9d.gif
DO THA THING! :wink:

Replies

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Im in! I feel ready for a sprint.
    Will firm up goals tomorrow.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I don't have any holiday events that I need to worry about, may not even be doing anything on Christmas day! My niece and her partner may come up for the day, but that's actually fairly easy to work with, food-wise.

Goals for the month:

The Basics, as above

My biggest challenge is going to be summer fruit. Cherries will appear shortly before Christmas, and watermelon not long after (NZ is currently, thankfully, bereft of watermelon, because both Tongan and Australian melons can't be imported ATM due to insects we don't want here, but NZ melons will be making an appearance by January, I think). I may well bump my carbs up a bit come January to accommodate these.

I had hoped to get below 80kg by the end of the year, but with not losing as much as expected in November, that's off the table. I know I can't sustain enough of a deficit to lose 4+ kg in a month. So, we'll go with 3kg down from whatever I am tomorrow morning.
  • gispi918
    gispi918 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Count me in!
  • Vanessa1166
    Vanessa1166 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Sounds wonderful..I am in too
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I am in .... I have gained 10.5 lbs the last couple of weeks ... I am ready to turn this around .... I turn 50 on the 29th of this month ...so my goal is to lose close to 10.5 lbs until my birthday :)

My bday is the 30th, cheers to us!

Dec goals
    -CW 173, GW 169
    -30 min activity daily (instead of focusing on steps)
    -Continue staying between 40-50 total carbs
    -Strength training every Mon and Thur.
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I’m in as well. Plan to refocus on my food, looking at my snacking triggers. I also enjoyed the half marathon I ran last week (well, once it was done!) and would like to run another one after Christmas. So I plan to continue with running 3-6 miles 5x week and will start to bump the distances when I register for another race. Hopefully my speed will increase as well as I’m pretty slow!
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I think the food and activity goals that i currently have are solid.
    What would make a big difference is if i really rev the uumph factor way up in meeting those goals every day..
    So the goal is to be able to check both areas off each day for 31 days. Thats the sprint.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Hey hey. Still after the same thing. Getting off the last 10ish of the Quarantine 15. This last month didn't get me much on the scale but I am looking slimmer in places. This is just the way my body does me. I should see some progress this month that was lagging on the numbers. It is the way. :smirk:

I'll post my weight numbers on Saturday as that is when I weight for the week.
    It snowed on us last night. We got about 6 inches in places on the deck, but looks like maybe 2-4 inches in the yard depending on where you measure. I heard the snow plow go through a minute ago.

I have most of my Xmas shopping done already. No party plans as COVID spread is the worst here it's ever been, and we are strictly quarantining to protect my 76-year-old Dad. So I need to go hard as there's Christmas and then my birthday on New Years.

Anyway, blah blah. Off to snoop around MFP. christmas-ball-icon.png(Rando ornament just because! :lol: )
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I’ll be sticking to the basics and what goes in my mouth- trying to stay with a calorie deficit, keeping protein high and carbs at a level that doesn’t make me achy. Movement is good but I still track daily. No effort here needed in that space.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    No training yesterday because I had to get up early to take the car for its MOT - cost me £100 for the test and new wiper blades which was... irritating as they seemed to be working just fine as I drove down there but hey ho! The little beast of burden is at least legal for another year so let's be thankful for small mercies!

Have set up my plan for workouts for next week as I need to do my fasting blood test on Friday, so won't be doing anything on that day except stressing about whether the buses will be too full to get on. Then trot into town to go to the bank, mop-chop on the local parade to give smaller businesses my custom (and also - MUCH cheaper than going into town and having to get it all done there at a massive chain).
    As a freelancer, whose income came to an abrupt halt in March, I appreciate the trials and tribulation independents go through so would rather support them than give double the money to a huge chain.

Within 4lbs of getting to 10st which is a MASSIVE step forward for me after a couple of weeks of gaining and losing the same weight.

Today's dinner is a Heck Vegan Sausage and Sweet Potato bake, and also will do some Thai Sweet Potato and Courgette soup for next week.

Can I just say I am loving being part of an active group here on MFP with a bunch of fellow diabetics. I am active in the UK Diabetic Forum, but having come to MFP many years ago it will always be my go-to for logging my meals and being able to scan UK products for accuracy is amazing... I wouldn't want to go through any other app!

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Yesterday (12/1):

(1) Logged and under goal.
    (2) Eat 80ish g net carbs and at least 85 g protein -- yes.
    (3) About 12K steps and all rings closed.
    (4) Did planned 30 min run.
    (5) Meditate every morning and journal every evening -- did this.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    12/01
    My December Goals: (12/01 - 12/05)
    Stay under my calorie goal every day (of course, track every.single.thing) ✅
    <50g net carbs per day (*I've lowered this from last mo and NEED to do better on this one) ❌
    13k steps every day (I've raised this from 10k last month) ✅
    40 mins walking ✅
    20 mins some other exercise (other than walking!) ✅
    Weight Goal: to lose 9 lbs in Dec.
    SW: (12/01) 184.7
    CW: 183.2
    GW: (12/25) 175.0 - (My first mini goal is to weigh in at 175 on Christmas Day 2020)
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    12/1
    30 min activity 😁 50 min outdoor walk
    Keep total carb between 40-50 😁 27!!!

My house is decorated, doing some shopping today and picking up my holiday baking supplies. Getting as much done as possible this week while I'm on 'stay cation'.
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    12/1
    Calorie deficit 👿 ate more at maintenance today but I should have still had a small deficit.

Carbs/protein both okay but room for improvement for sure!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,805 Member
    Options
    12/1 Food was okay....walked by myself with my husky since my German Shepherd had to have a drain put in his ear and is wearing a cone on his head ..I do not want him left a lone since he can't fit in his kennel so my daughter stayed with him and did her homeschooling ...Aspen and I walked 6.16 miles yesterday :)
This discussion has been closed.