Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    Thank you Yooly. That was actually quite helpful.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,736 Member
    edited August 5
    The water is doing my own thing. And yeah, with bariatrics, I have to eat smaller portions and choose foods that will meet my protein goals (90+ grams daily) without exceeding the calorie goals. So my fun is how to make the most appealing, delicious stuff that I will actually enjoy, while doing that. I'm pretty good, lol.

I will say though, I only bought the 0% Greek Yogurt cause the store didn't have 2%. Vastly prefer the 2%.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited August 5
    Chai kick, get that. Had raspberry mochas several years before now more variety

Also ascribe to alternative liquids, my fav is watermelon
    re1a5mhdku86.jpg
  • PAV8888
    That sure IS a watermelon! Seeded! WOW! So I've managed to trick my hamsters so much that I can barely tell the difference between 0% and 2% and I'm fairly sure I would not even, necessarily, be able to tell that there WAS a difference if I was even partially blinded. I guess it helps that I am rotating through at least four to five brands/varieties when you count both 0% Greek and 0% Skyr
  • nicsflyingcircus
    I can tell the difference. It's a little texture, a little tangyness, I think. The Fage 0% is better than any other fat-free Greek yogurt I've tried though.
  • PAV8888
    I admit that I thought I could tell a little bit in terms of a creaminess. But it wasn't a blind experiment on my part. And I'm not sure I would rather trade the calories for that vs say some fruit or other fill in
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 3,172 Member
    What I’ve noticed with no-fat yogurts is that “fillers” like starches are added to create the thicker yogurt consistency. I can taste the starch especially in the individual low fat Dannon or Yoplait yogurts. With Greek yogurts, it’s a flour taste in the no fat versions.

So now I’m reading ingredients on yogurt containers…..
  • nicsflyingcircus
    The calorie difference in a 170g portion (the serving size on the container) is 30 calories. If I'm eating it in an application where I can really tell the difference, I'll take the 30 calories. I need some fat anyway, lol. But like I said, the Fage 0% is okay. I'm eating it (mixed with strawberries, or with tzatziki in a salad bowl, or with salsa like a dip)
  • Yoolypr
    What the heck are we all doing awake at this hour??? At least Nic is at work. I just have insomnia.
  • Yoolypr
    edited August 7
    Deconstructed egg roll casserole with rice noodles. No fried egg roll wrapper included. Green salad. ‘‘Twas good! 👍
  • nicsflyingcircus
    cgy6pn952nfm.jpg

My lunch veggie plate. The dip is 110g cottage cheese with 3/4tsp ranch seasoning
  • PAV8888
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    What I’ve noticed with no-fat yogurts is that “fillers” like starches are added to create the thicker yogurt consistency. I can taste the starch especially in the individual low fat Dannon or Yoplait yogurts. With Greek yogurts, it’s a flour taste in the no fat versions.
    So now I’m reading ingredients on yogurt containers…..

I only happen to have two different types "in stock" but: ????
    Liberté 0% Greek Plain: Skim Milk, Milk Protein, Bacterial Culture
    Siggi's 0% Skyr Plain: Skim Milk, Active bacterial cultures

Now yoplait (non greek) version absolutely has a crap load of corn starch and pectin etc now that they seem to have moved away from gelatin. I understand why they wanted to do that. But the new formulation has not hit the spot for myself, and I've moved away from buying them.
  • PAV8888
    edited August 7
    That's very nice Nic. Sorry about insomnia Yooly! Me? Just trying to kick things into shape is all :wink: ... probably not very effectively.

Nic... that's part of the problem. My single sitting serving size tends to be a complete 750g tub unless I'm only using the yogurt as a side item. When it comes to the 1kg tub, however, I tend to split it over two sittings.

a90dbr4o7a3g.png
    I will totally concede that the ~60 to 100 Cal for a 750g tub are definitely worth it if there exist a real taste preference.

For myself, my navel gazing indicates that I probably don't have a 60 to 100 Cal "creaminess" preference vs the preference of using the Calories for chocolate chips or blueberries or a satchel of carnation light to be mixed in... or even nothing at all.

And I definitely do NOT have lack of fat intake... so all good! That's why they make so many kinds!

I will state for the record, however, that the ONE type that is MOST OFTEN NOT IN STOCK is.... 0% PLAIN!

<we don't have Fage here; but, I totally suspect--due to being... suspicious--that the "real" numbers are probably around 450 for 0% and around 550 for 2%)>
  • Yoolypr
    I don’t buy the fruity flavored yogurts from Dannon or Yoplait as a rule. However at hotels that have breakfast included that’s generally the only kind of yogurt available.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    I can't find the liberte 0% plain here, though strangely I can find their full-fat versions.
  • PAV8888
    edited August 8
    I'm pretty sure you guys have a wider assortment of dairy products than we do!

I don't doubt that my 0% preference is a learned one. Similar to learning to not add salt to food or cream or sugar to coffee, for example
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Shredded lettuce, medium Pico de gallo, 0% Greek Yogurt, shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese blend, avocado, rare to medium rare marinated grilled flank steak.
  • PAV8888
    and how did you serve all this? as a salad bowl?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    You got it @PAV8888
  • Yoolypr
    Rice Krispies, yogurt, strawberries 🍓 and blueberries 🫐- cause it was soooo hot 🥵. Even making a salad seems like work.