2021 One day, or today. You decide

Options

Replies

• suzyqholland
    suzyqholland Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes our bodies are just laughing at us and holding onto the weight because they know that we’ll get frustrated and start eating crap again. I really really hate it when someone says “maybe you aren’t eating enough.” Right. Like that’s a real thing with women our age. Hang in there, Snoozie. The whoosh is coming! I just know it!

I didn’t get out of my pajamas until 1:00 this afternoon! It was amazing!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am busy still... just checking in very quickly to say congratulations on the house, Suzy! I had my fingers crossed for you! And on the lack of weight gain too.
    And commiserations on the break-in, Snoozie. It's horrible when that happens: feels so personal! Kind of funny to think of him being such a bad burglar though!
    Will catch up properly later!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a "laugh" option in the like/hug/inspire buttons... cause i actually laughed out loud at your line when someone says maybe u arent eating enuf.... honest to god, right?? makes you just wanna slap them lol

Vail - glad to see you even if its a brief visit!! hope in the busy you're getting a bit of down time here and there still

The salon called back and I got an appointment for July 17 - I was really hoping i'd get one before my 60th birthday in July lol... but it's been almost exactly one year since my last haircut so I'll take it!! They are only allowed to operate at 25% capacity, and to give each stylist a chance to work and earn some money, they are giving them all a day on their own with their clients, hence the long wait.. but thats ok .. he's gonna have his work cut out for him when i do get there hahaha

Today was a lovely day.. played pickbleball this morning and my partner had invited me over for a bbq with her and her hubby... just hot dogs as my summer doesnt start til i've had my one bbq'd hot dog hahaha... and it was the first time to sit on their back deck and have lunch together without having to wear a mask or social distance as we've all had our 2 jabs for several weeks now, and both she and i still practice all the protocols of social distancing from strangers etc... but it was so nice to just sit and chat and eat at the same table together! Weird.. but very nice !!

One of my friends has invited me over for a little get together with her and our other friend for my birthday evening... nice dinner and a little vino and time with two good friends so i'm thrilled.... especially because we are all also 2x jabbed and i can relax and enjoy myself!! And i think i will get cake lol.... haaaaa..... she's a great cook so altho i did say i'd be happy with just a burger or hotdog if i didn't have to cook it, i was told quite forcefully i was not being given a hot dog for my 60th birthday!! ha

We still have a lot closed; stores are only allowed to be open with 25% capacity and no indoor dining at all yet only patios.. but as the vax rates go up we will move to the next stage the end of July .... which will be lovely....

that's all i have... im not going on the scale for the next few days.. im tired of looking and hoping lol what will be will be!!

• suzyqholland
    Options
    Great news about you being able to do some socializing!!! Yay!!! I hope your birthday dinner celebration is wonderful!
  • Vailara
    Options
    Happy 60th, Snoozie! So glad the timing is right for a little social event to celebrate: it sounds wonderful after all this time!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Thanks Vail and Suzy... my 59+1 day birthday (yes i prefer that to 60 hahaha) is on Thursday so I'm quite looking forward to it.. it will just be me and my 2 best friends, and one hubby who will be in the basement watching hockey hahaha.. but im really looking forward to it - 3 is about the biggest number i can handle to start re entering social situations without masks or distancing and I hear Aperol Spritzs are on the cocktail menu (I fell in love with those in Italy lol)

The scales FINALLY moved... but I am not weighing in officially til Thursday .. I'd need another 2 lbs gone by then to hit a new set of numbers which was my goal, but as that won't be possible I'll just take the couple of pounds gone and be happy as long as they are STILL gone then ha...

i took a day off from pickleball yesterday.. we've been pretty much playing every day and my parts are feeling it a bit... so i had a lovely long walk down at the lake and on the route back, people were starting to set up their picnic areas in the grassy point... i saw a few trying to take group selfies so i offered to take their pics for them... (they had hand sanitizer for me to use after lol).. i'm not a great photographer but at least they might have a decent group pic out of it and it felt good to be able to offer a hand to another human again, even if it was just a pic

I went to the farmers market yesterday for the first time in almost 2 yrs now... sometimes it blows my mind how long this has been going on around the world) i got some lovely peppers and baby red onions (which i didnt even know existed!) and some new carrots and came home and roasted them all... it was supposed to last me a few days but it was soooo darn good i burned my fingers scarfing them down right off the pan LOLOL.. piggie piggie... I did manage to leave a bit - but in my defense.. roasted veg are kinda like spinach imo.. you start off with what looks like tons of it.. but by the time it cooks it shrinks to 1/4 the size of what you started with..

that's my story and i'm sticking to it!!

Oh Suzy I just realized it's July 4thth!! Happy 4th of July to you!!!!!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Thank you, Snoozie! I’m so glad the scale moved in the right direction for you. That’s great news. Not sure what an Aperol Spritz is but you should celebrate however you want!

There’s a farmer’s market near here every Thursday morning. I think I’m going to go this week. I’ll buy some veggies to roast in your honor for your birthday! I’ve never heard of baby red onions but I love regular red onion.

I was hoping to be able to do some walking and get in some pool time relaxing once we moved in with my daughter. So far, not so much. Lol. I’ve been busy every day with this and that. Hopefully it will calm down soon. I’m planning to go see my parents at least once a week. They’re just over an hour (one way) from here. My mom isn’t doing very well. I’m glad they moved when they did though. They’re not happy about it but at least they’re in a safer environment.

I have really got to be focusing on my portion sizes right now. I’m not getting the amount of veggies that I usually do so I need to at least be eating less. We most likely won’t move into our new house until the beginning of October. That’s three whole months of not really being in control of the menu. Maybe I need to be skipping lunch or just having a yogurt or something.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    An Aperol Spritz is just a cocktail that is very popular in Italy and we all fell in love with them and made it our mission to have one (or two) every afternoon LOL

I'm glad im not the only one who never heard of baby red onions!! Honestly they are WAY better for me that then big ones.. because I usually have it raw in salads or mixed in egg or chicken salad... so i end up throwing out at least 1/2 of a regular size one cause its too big for the bit i need now and then.. and I would never normally roast a red onion, but i had about 10 of the small ones .. size wise i'd say they are about the size of a plum.. maybe a smidge bigger.. and turned out the little one roast beautifully.

But tonite i made up a mac and cheese (my moms recipe from scratch) which is one of my absoulte favs and i just pigged out on it.. so i suspect the scale will reflect that tomorrow lol.. oh well.. in my case the loss is probably from sheer laziness.. i honestly can't be bothered cooking lately so dinner is often just a sandwich or picking at leftovers.. it isn't from discipline trust me lol

I'm sorry to hear your mom isn't doing well... i imagine you're quite relieved they did move there tho .. at least you'll know when you aren't there that they are being looked after.. hugs!

• Snooozie
    Options
    Well today is the big "60" and I'm still 2lbs away from the first weight loss goal i wanted to reach by today... but the scale didn't go UP so i'll take that as a win anyway lol.

my theory of being 59 + 1 day was blown to hell when it was pointed out to me its actually 59 + 365 days :( i like my math way better hahaha...

Hope everyone is doing well and that you made it to the farmers Market Suzy!

• suzyqholland
    Options
    HAPPY 60th BIRTHDAY SNOOZIE!!!!!

I hope the year ahead brings you joy, in-person companionship, friends and family get togethers, healthy wonderful yummy food, fulfilling memorable moments and that you meet your goals! Sixty isn’t so bad. It’s the new 40!

Enjoy your day!!!
  • Vailara
    Options
    Happy 60th! All the best for the coming year! I hope you're having a wonderful day :).
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Thanks Suzy and vail had a wonderful evening - it was so nice to be able to get together without masks or social distancing - even if my lovely friends had reminders everywhere about hitting 60 !! (Even in the bathroom lol). Way too much to eat and drink but I was just fine with it lol
    k0wkvvzebgj1.jpeg
    z2djnt563yla.jpeg
    288pnt43twqe.jpeg
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    Love it!
  • Vailara
    Options
    That is so funny that they put all those signs up! So glad you had such a good time! If you can't eat and drink too much on a big birthday, when can you?

I'm meeting up with friends soon in a restaurant but hoping we can move it outdoors: we're have quite a lot of cases here at the moment and all restrictions going in a few days. So for me, personally, it's back to being cautious for a little while until the vaccination rate (which is quite good, thankfully) goes up a bit more and the cases go down a bit. I don't know if I'm coming or going! But so much more positive than in the winter, at least.

I really need to get on top of my eating. I have been so busy, and have been eating way too much! I always seem to have chocolate, treats and snacks in the house these days, and I know the answer is as simple as just not having them in the house then I can't eat them, lol! I do have plenty of healthy stuff as well, but it doesn't cancel out the other stuff! And I'm the least fit I've been in ages, I still haven't got back to normal after having some problems with the second vaccine, and now it feels like I'm working so much and don't have time. I DO have time, it's just an excuse!

Hope your mom is OK, Suzy.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Vail - i did hear Britain is battling the same Delta variant we have going here right now... thankfully they have ramped up 2nd doses here too so fingers crossed we can get ahead of it.. our last restrictions lift on July 16th - finally open for indoor dining here then but honestly i've only been on one patio so far lol.. i'm not ready for indoors as yet!!

I hear ya on the healthhy vs not.. my fridge has lots of fresh veg but im too lazy to wash and chop it all when its easier to toss a frozen pizza in the oven!! grrrrrr hang in there girl!
  • suzyqholland
    Options
    I realized today that I haven’t seriously thought about what I’m eating for about five weeks now. I’ve just been eating whatever I want and it’s not good. My daughter doesn’t really eat veggies and their pantry looks like a twelve year old did the shopping. Cookies, chips, cake mixes, candy. I’m trying to get some veggies into our meals but I haven’t tried that hard. We’ve got another ten weeks or so living here so I need to figure this out.

These different variants are so scary. From what I’ve read the vaccinations are helping those who are fully vaccinated though. I worry about my daughter and son in law because they haven’t gotten the vaccine. They’re trying to get pregnant and are worried about the effects. I don’t know what to think about that but it’s their choice, not mine.

My mom isn’t doing great and is talking about moving back to their house. Craziness!
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Sorry but I did actually "laugh out loud" at the 12 yr old did the shopping line... !!

It's so hard when you are staying or living with other people, even if it's family because they have their own routine and meal choices which may not mesh with our own, but you cant say really "I need veggies" without hurting their feelings.. i don't know if your daughter is still working but if so, maybe you could make a healthy brekkie and lunch for yourself with some veggies and then just cut down the portion size of whatever is served for dinner?

Yes for sure having the 2x vax gives us a lot of protection from getting deathly ill or dying if we (god forbid) get covid - the vaccines will ensure it's a much milder case if so.. the problem is the mutations that create the variants only happen in those who are unvaccinated.. and the vaccines may not work as well against the variants that keep being created.. I have friends whose adult children won't take the vaccine for different reasons.. some like your daughter are trying to get pregnant .. but others have simply fed into the ridiculous conspiracy theories on tik tok or wherever they get their news from these days... and as the variants can only be created in people not vaccinated.. that scares me because if new ones keep showing up that are far more transmissable and perhaps NOT protected by the vaccines we already have.. yup it scares me.

I honestly was all about personal choice for getting the vaccine at first... and I know there are people who simply CAN'T get vaccinated for medical reasons so i don't' count them.. but i understand why you worry about your kids not getting the vax.. my friends are in the same position as you.. worried the adult kids wont take it but frustrated too that they wont.. but in the end yup its def their choice and nothing we can do about it

I'm sorry to hear your mom is not adjusting to the new place at all yet... fingers crossed she will give it a bit more time and not decide to go back to the house cause thats just something else you don't need to deal with right now!! Sending hugs

• Vailara
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I think the issue here is that although the vaccine programme has been very good, it's slowing now and it doesn't look like there is going to be enough coverage for herd immunity. Before the variants it did look there would be a possibility we could get to the point it would just be very difficult for the virus to spread, but now it doesn't seem like we're going to get there. I'm anxious about variants too. I think that's one of the big risks of letting Delta spread the way we are doing in the UK over the summer. I'm hoping it doesn't happen ... but we did manage to incubate a new variant here last year, so I think it's quite likely it could happen again.

Shopping like a twelve year old - that's so funny! It must be so difficult to live with all that stuff! I say that, when I have a house full of rubbish myself, and can't even blame anyone else. It's just so bad. I am actually cooking with the healthy stuff as well - I have no problem with healthy home-cooked meals. But then I eat the other stuff as well! I am down to one packet of crisps/chips in the house, so when it's gone, I'm just going to not buy any more. I'm sure that isn't as hard as it sounds. The chocolate, well I dread to think how many calories worth of sweet treats I have in the house. I could just throw them all away of course, but I can't bear to!

• suzyqholland
    Options
    Sorry I’ve been so quiet lately. I thought I’d have all this free time when we moved in with our daughter but I was so wrong! I’ve been to the pool once! I think August and September will be better. She goes back to work (teaching) and grand-baby goes back to day care then. I’m watching her the last week of July though. I’ve been helping with the house, cooking, babysitting, grocery shopping and also going over to clean out my parent’s house and visit with them.

I really really REALLY have GOT to do something about my eating choices and habits. I’ve been too scared to get back on the scale. That’s the first step though, isn’t it. Just because I’m not in my own home doesn’t mean that it’s a free for all, for crying out loud. What am I thinking?!?! We went hiking last weekend. One of our “go to” trails is only ten minutes from here now. Once the baby is in daycare then I’m seriously going to get back to exercising. Maybe if I put in that work then I won’t be so quick to eat crap. Maybe I need to just roast some veggies every night and fill up on those before I eat the calorie laden main course. I need a strategy.
  • Snooozie
    Options
    Suzy.. its got to be so hard not being in your own place with your own stuff and your own "routine" if you will.. whether it be exercise or cooking or whatever... i think as you said once your daughter and g/baby get back to their respective routines, it should free you up to be able to get some control back - cause really right now thats the one thing you don't have so it makes it even harder... i don't have any excuse as im in total control of the cooking and eating and nobody else to look after or worry about!!!

Too funny you mentioned the roasting of veg tho... this afternoon i am going to roast up the last of the baby red onions and 2 potatos i have left, and 2 peppers - i have a bit of leftover greek salad and i'll just toss them in along with to make it more of a meal... weird combo yes but i find if i nuke the roasted veg for 10 seconds to take the fridge chill off before i toss em in the salad... its just yummy....

I've been doing ok with my eating the last few days... mainly due to laziness tho i admit.. i just can't be bothered cooking anything .. the down side to that is i tend to eat less healthy stuff thats available, but keeping the junk out (im still laughing at your pantry looking like a 12 yr old shopped!!) has helped... i still have 20 pandemic pounds to lose.. but im pegging away at it 1/2 a lb at a time ...

So after much dilly dallying and indecision.. i finally decided to drive down to the east coast and see all my family... to make it simple... my sister and all my cousins and their families all live in the same province (like your states)... my sister lives in a town that is about 1.5 hrs away from where all my cousins spend the summer at their cottages in Fundy Bay.. so I took the plunge and i rented a lovely Airbnb just a 10 min drive from all my cousins cottages (they are all within a 5 min walk of each other). I will drive to the town my sister is in (2 day drive), spend 2-3 days with her recovering from the drive, then we will both go down to the airbnb and spend a week visiting with the all the cousins and enjoying the beach .. then drive back to the town sister is in, spend another 2-3 days with her and leave whenever the weather is looking good for the drive home.

i was dithering back and forth because i didnt want to fly and then have to rent a car.. adn i didnt want to spend 2 days driving lol... and then a friend of mine at my b/day party when i said i was dithering.. said "why WOULDNT you go"... and that was my aha moment...

I haven't seen them since 2019 just before the pandemic hit. and i have nothing BUT time with nothing to do here.. all my friends are away at their cottages for the summer anyway.. and im just really still sitting in my apartment most days other than pickleball.. yesterday we moved to Stage 3 re opening here which means everythig has pretty much reopened with limits .. but i have no desire to go shopping or eat indoors as yet... so .. i thot what indeed am i waiting for? I can take my time.. i'll stay over 1/2 way on the way down, somewhere around Quebec City.. and make sure i stop and stretch every few hours .... and do the same on the way back..

anyway. im glad i finally made the decision altho i'm still not thrilled about the long drive, i will do an attitude adjustment before i go .. i decided to treat this as a vacation for me as well.. hence why i rented a lovely ranch house right on the water ... with a beautiful deck and grounds ... and having my car means i can come and go as i want... im an early riser and my sister is a sleeper in... so i can get up have my coffee on the deck and go exploring or whatever i want to do... we will be spending most of our days and evenings at the cottages with everyone.. but it will be nice to be able to have somewher to go if i need some ME time.. im of course not used to being around people like they are down there... so this is the perfect plan for me....

Too funny tho... after i booked the airbnb and told the cousins i was coming... they went over to the airbnb i rented and checked it out LOLOLOLOL... (AND confirmed it is indeed only a 10 min drive from all of them lol).. I guess my cousin had watched some show about nightmare Airbnbs on tv and decided she would do a recon (it passed her inspection hahaha)... so I'll be going the last two weeks of August...

So thats whats new with me.. other than that.... am happy to be playing pickleball as often as possible... as its the only exercise i get these days... and today is my first haircut in 11 months!!! yup yup yup lol. im booked for a color and a cut.. but with all the grey hair i have now im not sure highlites only are gonna be enuf hahaha.. but honestly ... after almost a year im just gonna be happy to have something done!! so i should prolly hit the shower and get in gear.. i havent had to go out in public for so long.. i should see if i have any "real clothes" that still fit that i can wear!!